Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So, is this the part where the whole issue was about the individual athletes get a fair price for the value of their likenesses? Or is this the part where college football goes totally pro because winning is everything?

The kind of paying that went on before was at least a little restrained beneath a veneer of idealism. The veneer is stripped away and the monster can rage uncontrolled. 

Much of this over-"correction" is due to the shallow minded debates had on radio and TV by sports pundits who like to believe they are hard-bitten, real world guys who know the truth when they see it. In fact, they're largely idiots who seize an issue at its simplest level and eschew anyone trying to recognize of discuss even the most obvious complication.

The limited discussion by the moron chorus was limited to stuff like why shouldn't a Manziel or VY or Honey Badger be able to make money? They never ventured to how this would work for second string OTs or rotating running backs who really don't have any value in their names. 

Now all will be paid generously.

The sports morons liked to play the South Park tape about student atho-letes to express their cyncism. 

Now they can find something similar for the absurdity that NIL will be limited to the real issues of NIL. Hey there, Mr. Three Star Recruit Who May Never Start, come to Big Bucks University where you will be amply rewarded for your extremely valuable "NIL Rights." Snicker snicker. 

I don't like where this looks to be going. I liked the idea that most of the players on the team chose UT for the same reasons I did and experienced their student life similarly to me.

I abandoned pro football and other pro sports years ago because I cared less and less about the players. It could happen here, too. My stomach turns at the pageantry and vanity of commitment videos that look like life achievement awards. Turn 'em all into mercenaries, and the nasty world of college football just gets unbearably nasty.

I'm more of an emotional fan than some of you. I'm optimistic with each new coach. Optimistic for the new coach's first few seasons. I'm not too critical of the players. It's just my way. It's not better than anyone else's. Some of you are scholars and connoisseurs who appreciate the game differently. Some of you are screaming, furious fans who seem to feed on your anger and vendettas. It's a game; enjoy it as you may.

I'll miss the way I enjoy the game should it become as I've described above. 

I'll still check out the Aggie recruiting thread because it's the funniest no matter what. I'm hooked on this fucking site.

Yeah they've gone from one extreme to the other, but they had to do something. The financial stuff is part of the reason the NFL is fuckin boring though. Anyway, if everything goes to shit at least we'll have a new NCAA game.

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Look at the example a Miami booster is setting. NIL should have made it so much more 

Very interesting. This was my worry - NIL may just be a legal form of boosters paying players with only a minor part related to real marketing value. If that's the case, could take away a lot of our NIL advantage. On the other hand, maybe our boosters will be ok paying players legally where they previously were too squeamish with bags.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Very interesting. This was my worry - NIL may just be a legal form of boosters paying players with only a minor part related to real marketing value. If that's the case, could take away a lot of our NIL advantage. On the other hand, maybe our boosters will be ok paying players legally where they previously were too squeamish with bags.

It was always the obvious outcome.

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Now all will be paid generously.

Oh no, the horror.

You’re assuming people didn’t know that this would be the outcome. Plenty of people knew, they just didn’t care, because not everyone has the same emotional attachment to the idea of “amateurism” as you do.

And even many that did know that the ideal model of amateurism actually died a long time ago. You said it yourself, it was all just a veneer. You think Miami wasn’t paying players before this? The only thing that’s changed is that it’s now harder for you to lie to yourself about it.

13 minutes ago, Tom Herman Apologist said:

He was living in Dobie, although your point still stands

It's funny, for many years, I have been living under the belief he lived in Jester. I have no idea why I thought that. Someone must have told me, or I read it on a message board. I blame the media. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

It's funny, for many years, I have been living under the belief he lived in Jester. I have no idea why I thought that. Someone must have told me, or I read it on a message board. I blame the media. 

I think room 2713 in Dobie.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yeah, if you look at Dell's history of giving it has been more focused on improving the community.  Whether it is the medical school or children's hospital, or the funding for scholarships for low income students.  He's not who I would chase for NIL sponsorships.  GSD&M could be a big play though.  A couple of those guys are big UT football fans. Plus they're already in Advertising/Marketing.

Having worked for him, I can tell you that big dick swinging bag game stuff is not his MO. I would fall on the floor if he were ever to get involved in NIL at any level.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Oh no, the horror.

You’re assuming people didn’t know that this would be the outcome. Plenty of people knew, they just didn’t care, because not everyone has the same emotional attachment to the idea of “amateurism” as you do.

And even many that did know that the ideal model of amateurism actually died a long time ago. You said it yourself, it was all just a veneer. You think Miami wasn’t paying players before this? The only thing that’s changed is that it’s now harder for you to lie to yourself about it.

I thought I alluded well enough to the obvious. Evidently not overtly enough for some.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Based on the 247 recruiting chat, it sounds like the staff came in thinking Texas would recruit itself and now they’re realizing it’s much more difficult. Wonderful. 

Texas can recruit itself. Need to show success on the field. 

Having 2 shitty coaches/programs after Mack left us in shitty shape doesn't help. It's all hype until we Sark proves that he's not going to be another failed coach at Texas. I believe Texas kids WANT to go to Texas, see Ewers. Short of paying fuckers like the $EC schools, Texas needs to show them it's truly back and back to stay.

12 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Based on the 247 recruiting chat, it sounds like the staff came in thinking Texas would recruit itself and now they’re realizing it’s much more difficult. Wonderful. 

That is not true at all. They have been shown to be a hardworking bunch. It is infrastructure. It is negative recruiting that they can’t help…yet. A good year or two with Sark being sober is the key. They might have thought it wouldn’t be as hard to combat some issues but they are trying. This is the hardest working staff we have had. They are just dealing with Meg recruiting that says Sark is just the next in line in disappointments. 

• Hook 'Em 8

16 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I've been wondering if they are used to Bama and USC and not taking into account their present situation.

22 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

This is one of those stupid things you say when you can't think of anything else to say.

(not you, the 247 chat)

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We need an actual, productive NIL forum and threads associated to it. I don't mean the ongoing meandering here or the winding dialogue of nothingness on the football board thread. I mean something with some structure and rules around the topic's discussion. Links to what other schools are doing, probably not a fit. Posts planning out an organized (unaffiliated) way of crowdsourcing money to guys, whether through their Cameo or buying of merchandise, probably a fit. Etc. There could be multiple threads associated to the ongoing discussion. 

There are at least 4 problems that need to be solved for anyone to truly weaponize this stuff, and problably more:

1) information - what can people and businesses do, and what can't they? I saw a UT AD email linking to a FAQs page and it was helpful. as a for instance, given the guidance from the school, the state, and the NCAA, there is nothing for Surly to fear in terms of being involved with various campaigns. 

2) leadership - this has to be important enough for someone to take it on and get things organized and structurally sound, out of passion.

3) networking - you need networks of businesses who will get it and be involved. the vast majority have no idea about any of this right now. 

4) capital raising - there are different ways to get some traction, but if you guys wanted to go from powerless to making a difference, money talks. you could organize a mini-SPAC aimed at directing funds with purpose eventually towards UT athletes, but it's a blank check endeavor, so you'd need someone trustworthy fronting it and interested enough participants that they'd hand over $100s or $1000s and wait to see what happens. note: i'm not claiming "SPAC" is technically correct as a term here, but conceptually it would work like that. just a simple ongoing crowdfunding effort might help, but i'm dubious unless the plan is to extend the raise into social media and not just on the boards. 

I'm sure there are other hurdles, but those all seem real. I know Texas is organized around how to exploit NIL with the help of some of the best consultants and academics that stupid money will buy. Eventually, athletes will reap heavily from all of that being deployed. If you can't wait, though, then the wild west is there for the taking. 

I doubt this board could raise $10,000 to start anything, so the hurdles seem insurmountable. 200 people throwing $50 each into a pot gets you there. Short of a few of us throwing in $1000, I doubt it would happen. So, honestly, hold your breath and bide your time and some of these idiotic stories like the Miami gym guy will blow past. $10000 barely pays 85 guys $117 one time. Hey, it would be our small part, I guess. 

Are you willing to put up your beach house and your wife’s newly divorced friend? Just spitballing here. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

This is one of those stupid things you say when you can't think of anything else to say.

(not you, the 247 chat)

How dare you, I happen to be extremely stupid. Also, it really seems Roach is still reeling from last few recruitments Texas lost and is just throwing his hands in the air. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I doubt this board could raise $10,000 to start anything, so the hurdles seem insurmountable. 200 people throwing $50 each into a pot gets you there. Short of a few of us throwing in $1000, I doubt it would happen. So, honestly, hold your breath and bide your time and some of these idiotic stories like the Miami gym guy will blow past. $10000 barely pays 85 guys $117 one time. Hey, it would be our small part, I guess. 

I have no idea how all of this works, from the legal perspective but one thing that is clear is that if you can raise money for a particular branded position group (ie - Tope Imade's goal of making the Texas OL brand a constant source of income for each incoming class) - then a small amount, like 10-20k spread among that small(ish) group of players yearly which includes walk-ons and non-scholarship guys, could have a pretty decent impact and help the brand longterm. It's not dropping bags but if you could create 5-6 position groups - each branded, each with an LLC or whatever, then instead of trying to nickel and dime shirts and hats of particular players (which will always happen anyway) you can support the team year-over-year. 

I know much smarter (and wealthier) people than me have made similar overtures to our athletic department and it's fallen on deaf ears. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

4) capital raising - there are different ways to get some traction, but if you guys wanted to go from powerless to making a difference, money talks. you could organize a mini-SPAC aimed at directing funds with purpose eventually towards UT athletes, but it's a blank check endeavor, so you'd need someone trustworthy fronting it and interested enough participants that they'd hand over $100s or $1000s and wait to see what happens. note: i'm not claiming "SPAC" is technically correct as a term here, but conceptually it would work like that. just a simple ongoing crowdfunding effort might help, but i'm dubious unless the plan is to extend the raise into social media and not just on the boards. 

I was thinking about this recently - today, actually. The concept of an open contribution, NIL slush fund is attractive. Building the platform and marketing isn't hard, it's really just the unknowns that make it daunting. 

A subscription service that buys and unloads player swag would be interesting, too. I could get into that if there was a way to associate the sub cost with the player licensing and pay that over the top of the merch payout. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We need an actual, productive NIL forum and threads associated to it. I don't mean the ongoing meandering here or the winding dialogue of nothingness on the football board thread. I mean something with some structure and rules around the topic's discussion. Links to what other schools are doing, probably not a fit. Posts planning out an organized (unaffiliated) way of crowdsourcing money to guys, whether through their Cameo or buying of merchandise, probably a fit. Etc. There could be multiple threads associated to the ongoing discussion. 

There are at least 4 problems that need to be solved for anyone to truly weaponize this stuff, and problably more:

1) information - what can people and businesses do, and what can't they? I saw a UT AD email linking to a FAQs page and it was helpful. as a for instance, given the guidance from the school, the state, and the NCAA, there is nothing for Surly to fear in terms of being involved with various campaigns. 

2) leadership - this has to be important enough for someone to take it on and get things organized and structurally sound, out of passion.

3) networking - you need networks of businesses who will get it and be involved. the vast majority have no idea about any of this right now. 

I'm sure there are other hurdles, but those all seem real. I know Texas is organized around how to exploit NIL with the help of some of the best consultants and academics that stupid money will buy. Eventually, athletes will reap heavily from all of that being deployed. If you can't wait, though, then the wild west is there for the taking. 

Sounds like a Patreon for the team needs to be started.  Not sure what content they can offer, but what the fuck is our admin doing?  Capitalize on this shit.  Tim Dillon clears 6 figures a month by just ranting once a week on YouTube.  Somebody on the UT social media team ought to be spearheading this effort.

Edited by Fondren & Main

1 minute ago, Fondren & Main said:

Sounds like a Patreon for the team needs to be started.  Not sure what content they can offer, but what the fuck is our admin doing?  Capitalize on this shit.  Tim Dillon clears 6 figures a month by just ranting once a week on YouTube.  Somebody on the UT social media team ought to be spearheading this effort.

I don't think they're allowed to given the Texas law.

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I was thinking about this recently - today, actually. The concept of an open contribution, NIL slush fund is attractive. Building the platform and marketing isn't hard, it's really just the unknowns that make it daunting. 

A subscription service that buys and unloads player swag would be interesting, too. I could get into that if there was a way to associate the sub cost with the player licensing and pay that over the top of the merch payout. 

Specifically in the swag department, the idea that just occurred to me is the concept of a grab bag. There's always superfluous gear of all kinds that folks aren't buying. And not a lot of the gear I've seen from the new guys is really my cup of tea, honestly. I mean I pretty much never wear T-shirts anymore unless I'm doing yard work. I don't wear a lot of hats because I look fucking stupid in them. So I'm probably not buying a lot of Overshown's or Jamison's new clothing line. 

That being said, I've seen mystery boxes and monthly shit become wildly popular these last few years, as I'm sure all of you have as well. Bespoke Post, my wife I got a sub to a monthly makeup/product box that sent her small amounts of stuff monthly. A clothing company I like occasionally has mystery boxes where they'll sell $300 worth of shit for like $85, usually excess inventory that's a year or two old from their warehouse. I bet there's a business model like that for UT gear and products, which could be exclusively player produced inventory. Will I buy T-shirts and hats I will never use? no. Will I spend $50 every month for a UT grab bag of products that has 3 mystery items in it? Probably. Someone should develop that business model with some of the player clothing companies and strike a partnership on inventory. 

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

These are good thoughts. I’ve seen a lot of good ideas being thrown around, which is promising. The downside is that ideas are free and the hustle is sold separately. So that brings us back to leadership. 

I can tell you this, and I know other folks in business might say otherwise, but, to me, the hardest thing to do in startupland is raising money. I’ve raised more than $60million as a leader in various entities and it doesn’t get any easier the next time around.  I’m raising right now and helping two other groups do the same. My raise has gone well, and has still drug on, and the others have been an outright fucking beating. 

To me, I think this will be hard without someone who is kind of a badass at this kind of stuff and has the time and passion to get it going.  

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting