Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

11 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

“And how much laundry could they possibly have anyway? You could probably fit a thousand g-strings in one load.”- Guy who doesn’t understand what “money laundering” means (but understands g-strings).

I doubt Horn4Life understands g-strings man…

• Haha 2

imo NIL responsibility falls on the AD (who's job is largely to raise money) to get boosters to divert some of their normal contributions to NIL. I mean how much money did we raise for the SEZ project? NIL should be a fraction of that. Some of those boosters will want some real sponsorship in return, others basically nothing. Just gotta educate them on the new landscape, why this is important, and get them comfortable with it being clean.

Eventually fair market NIL will start adding up too. Most Austin business owners/management probably have no idea what NIL means right now but eventually a bunch of businesses, small and large, are going to catch on and start jumping in. 

All these clothing lines and shit are dumb. Pennies in the grand scheme.

5 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

@golfclap boy Glasscock's name is starting to come up more and more on IT/OB. People are looking for a scapegoat for the last week and some of the apparent mismanagement of OL/RB recruiting. Just something I've noticed.

Not sure what responsibility glasscock would have for this. He’s in charge of evals/personnel. Harris is the one who replaced Carrington, so this would seem to be more on him. 

4 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

Based on the 247 recruiting chat, it sounds like the staff came in thinking Texas would recruit itself and now they’re realizing it’s much more difficult. Wonderful. 

247 would need to actually have sources in order to know this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That's the value of the kind of business being discussed, though. You basically fund the volume purchase of the product their interested in promoting (apparel and personal brand) which makes it more viable. Then, you contract the players directly to promote you on social. Win/Win. 

Just curious if anybody wants to buy a Josh Thompson t-shirt? Again, scope to me is an issue but making money is always good.

9 minutes ago, Moderator said:

He died this year actually and he hadn't worked at the Rose in a long time.

I hadn't heard that.  I met him a few times and he seemed like a good guy.

csb alert!

My uncle was his high school principal, and one time I was at the Rose with my cousin (my uncle's son) and DK came by to ask how everything was.  We were at a regular table, so he really had no reason to come check on us.  My cousin mentioned my uncle, and DK's face lit up and said he owed much of his success to my uncle.  Apparently DK was a high school fuck-up, but my uncle worked with him and saw some inherent brains and wrote him a recommendation for a job, or college, or something like that. Basically refused to give up on the guy.  Anyway, DK was forever grateful and said he really didn't think anyone changed the path of his life more than my uncle.  He sat and shot the shit for like 20 min, and said anytime my cousin came back to tell the waitress to let DK know.  We didn't abuse the offer, but we went a few times and let the waitress know, and we got varying types of free stuff.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not sure what responsibility glasscock would have for this. He’s in charge of evals/personnel. Harris is the one who replaced Carrington, so this would seem to be more on him. 

247 would need to actually have sources in order to know this. 

We had an assistant coach named Horny and now one named Glasscock. Milwee sounds like slang for something dirty too

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

We better fucking step our game up.

Hah, that's absolutely brilliant. If there's no rules, just sell NFTs as "art."

UT shitting down it's leg at something that it had about 50 built-in advantages on is... on-brand, lets be honest 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Holy shit. 

Holy shit is right. I don’t want to project out on the ledge too far, but……this sure seems like the NIL will completely destroy the sport. It’s just dollars for championships now. 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Team needs a "FaaS" model. Football as a Service. Have the players set fees for birthday parties, shoutouts on jumbotron, appearances at general parties/store openings, bar openings etc etc

Could easily set and manage a sliding fee scale for various players based on status etc.

You want the starting QB to mention your ass by name in a press conference as a shoutout? $25k

You want the back up long snapper to show up for a ribbon cutting? $250

Bachelorette parties? Skies the limit

and so on and so on. Similar to that service for C list celebs "Cameo" but strictly for football.

The Pom Girls should do the same.

This is actually the best idea yet.  Could even be scaled and sold as a platform to other schools.  Make it a non-profit and direct proceeds to the football program.  

Let other school’s fans pay our players.  The as a service model is where everything is moving anyways.  I spent most of my career in SaaS private equity and this seems pretty straightforward from that lens.  Call it a SaaS company and let the the multiples go to the moon.  A monkey could run a SaaS company.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit is right. I don’t want to project out on the ledge too far, but……this sure seems like the NIL will completely destroy the sport. It’s just dollars for championships now. 

This is such a hyperbolic , melodramatic post. Thibodeaux was the #1 overall recruit in his class and very well might end up being the #1 overall pick in next year’s NFL draft. It’s not that crazy. 

If players being able to receive compensation bothers you that much, then just stop following the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is such a hyperbolic , melodramatic post. Thibodeaux was the #1 overall recruit in his class and very well might end up being the #1 overall pick in next year’s NFL draft. It’s not that crazy. 

If players being able to receive compensation bothers you that much, then just stop following the sport. 

You don’t know shit either, so you have no idea what the impact on the sport will be either so fuck off.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hah, that's absolutely brilliant. If there's no rules, just sell NFTs as "art."

UT shitting down it's leg at something that it had about 50 built-in advantages on is... on-brand, lets be honest 

It’s ridiculous. We have every tool available to dominate this brand new world and it looks like we simply are just choosing not to.

2 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

This is actually the best idea yet.  Could even be scaled and sold as a platform to other schools.  Make it a non-profit and direct proceeds to the football program.  

Let other school’s fans pay our players.  The as a service model is where everything is moving anyways.  I spent most of my career in SaaS private equity and this seems pretty straightforward from that lens.  Call it a SaaS company and let the the multiples go to the moon.  A monkey can run a SaaS company.

You guys are thinking about this all wrong, players don't want to do work outside of football to get money and most don't care about building their brand. Oregon just showed you can straight give a kid 100k for someone else drawing a picture of him. That's what NIL is, straight payment for playing football

• Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You don’t know shit either, so you have no idea what the impact on the sport will be either so fuck off.  

Lol wut. I never said anything about the impact on the sport. Players getting paid shouldn’t bother you this much. Especially since you’re on the recruiting board enough to know this isn’t the first payment a guy like Thibodeaux has received at Oregon. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

We better fucking step our game up.

Pretty evident that we threw all of our efforts into personal branding on social media for the players. While admirable, it seems that some other schools spent more time trying to leverage actual partnerships, which appear to be winning out in the early perception race. Although I do think social media will be the best option for the vast majority of players, it’s not as sexy to highlight at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You guys are thinking about this all wrong, players don't want to do work outside of football to get money and most don't care about building their brand. Oregon just showed you can straight give a kid 100k for someone else drawing a picture of him. That's what NIL is, straight payment for playing football

Then that’s Oregon playing the short game instead of the long game.

The reality is you could even bundle financial advisory services that are athlete specific and integrate there as well.  Have the advisors pitch the kid on what kind of money they could really make.

image.gif.b70aea2c38ee2f188ac5016f2ab1961b.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Again, this guy is likely going to be the #1 overall pick in the draft. This is not a sign that every player is going to start getting 6 figure NFT deals. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty evident that we threw all of our efforts into personal branding on social media for the players. While admirable, it seems that some other schools spent more time trying to leverage actual partnerships, which appear to be winning out in the early perception race.

It seems to me that UT as an institution hasn’t done much at all. There’s no way they thought the best thing to do would be pushing player’s to make shitty merch. 

I haven’t really followed the details of the Texas administration’s approach to NIL, but on the surface it appears they went with the “here’s what you can do for yourself” (social media) approach, instead of the “here’s what we can do for you” approach.

Am I wrong or was it that lazy?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I haven’t really followed the details of the Texas administration’s approach to NIL, but on the surface it appears they went with the “here’s what you can do for yourself” (social media) approach, instead of the “here’s what we can do for you” approach.

Am I wrong or was it that lazy?

image.thumb.png.4ab007335343014fdcd683f27c6c0e8b.png

18 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I feel like we're a bunch of Frenchie limp-dicks standing on the Maginot Line. Yes sir boys, we've got a winning plan. Let's just sit here and wait for success to come to us. They'll never think to just go through Belgium.

Didnt you hear? Belgium isn’t even real!

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting