Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

so you'd need someone trustworthy fronting it and interested enough participants that they'd hand over $100s or $1000s and wait to see what happens.

I'm guessing the Wreath Fund administrator is probably our guy to hold the funds?

But on a more serious note, this is exactly what Ethereum Smart Contracts are for. If our players are happy to get paid in Ethereum, then you just create a smart contract with a DAO. All of the people that send funds to the smart contract are part of the DAO. When they all vote to send payment, the payment is sent along to the player. Here's a writeup about it: https://ethereum.org/en/dao/

It's even plausible to create a service that caters to other similar like-minded internet users, and scrape a few dollars off the top for administration fees. If anybody would be interested in putting something like that together, I'd probably be game.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Fuck you Brian Davis you useless sack of shit. Ya, I’m sure there’s no one in austin that can explain what an NFT is to an 18 year old. I’m sure Mario Fucking Cristobal is fully up to speed. Know nothing fuck, can the AAS go the fuck away already

I’m fairly certain he’s including the Oregon coaches in this. I think it’s pretty obvious that Nike is running things up there and Cristobal doesn’t need to know how this shit works - just that it’s working.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We need an actual, productive NIL forum and threads associated to it. I don't mean the ongoing meandering here or the winding dialogue of nothingness on the football board thread. I mean something with some structure and rules around the topic's discussion. Links to what other schools are doing, probably not a fit. Posts planning out an organized (unaffiliated) way of crowdsourcing money to guys, whether through their Cameo or buying of merchandise, probably a fit. Etc. There could be multiple threads associated to the ongoing discussion. 

There are at least 4 problems that need to be solved for anyone to truly weaponize this stuff, and problably more:

1) information - what can people and businesses do, and what can't they? I saw a UT AD email linking to a FAQs page and it was helpful. as a for instance, given the guidance from the school, the state, and the NCAA, there is nothing for Surly to fear in terms of being involved with various campaigns. 

2) leadership - this has to be important enough for someone to take it on and get things organized and structurally sound, out of passion.

3) networking - you need networks of businesses who will get it and be involved. the vast majority have no idea about any of this right now. 

4) capital raising - there are different ways to get some traction, but if you guys wanted to go from powerless to making a difference, money talks. you could organize a mini-SPAC aimed at directing funds with purpose eventually towards UT athletes, but it's a blank check endeavor, so you'd need someone trustworthy fronting it and interested enough participants that they'd hand over $100s or $1000s and wait to see what happens. note: i'm not claiming "SPAC" is technically correct as a term here, but conceptually it would work like that. just a simple ongoing crowdfunding effort might help, but i'm dubious unless the plan is to extend the raise into social media and not just on the boards. 

I'm sure there are other hurdles, but those all seem real. I know Texas is organized around how to exploit NIL with the help of some of the best consultants and academics that stupid money will buy. Eventually, athletes will reap heavily from all of that being deployed. If you can't wait, though, then the wild west is there for the taking. 

I doubt this board could raise $10,000 to start anything, so the hurdles seem insurmountable. 200 people throwing $50 each into a pot gets you there. Short of a few of us throwing in $1000, I doubt it would happen. So, honestly, hold your breath and bide your time and some of these idiotic stories like the Miami gym guy will blow past. $10000 barely pays 85 guys $117 one time. Hey, it would be our small part, I guess. 

I might be on it maybe?  I need to have some mind space to think about this and how I can make it work. The biggest thing I need though is the ability to coordinate with staff. I think that’s illegal. I’m sure everyone is doing it. I bet we aren’t. I would think if there are a coupe forward thinking business men on here we could rustle up $50-100k. Put another way- if I could make this thing work for me I could happily put in mid 5 figures without blinking, but I’d need buy in from some other stakeholders

Give me a week or two and I will try to come up with something but will probably need a little bit of help with some stuff.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I haven’t really followed the details of the Texas administration’s approach to NIL, but on the surface it appears they went with the “here’s what you can do for yourself” (social media) approach, instead of the “here’s what we can do for you” approach.

Am I wrong or was it that lazy?

They had to do it that way because Texas NIL pretty much says as much, unfortunately 

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I might be on it maybe?  I need to have some mind space to think about this and how I can make it work. The biggest thing I need though is the ability to coordinate with staff. I think that’s illegal. I’m sure everyone is doing it. I bet we aren’t. I would think if there are a coupe forward thinking business men on here we could rustle up $50-100k. Put another way- if I could make this thing work for me I could happily put in mid 5 figures without blinking, but I’d need buy in from some other stakeholders

Give me a week or two and I will try to come up with something but will probably need a little bit of help with some stuff.

Way to go!

So, I’ve got a post up on a little less public board for those who want to talk specifically about this in a bit of a less public forum. Got 4 or 5 questions I’d like to see answered. You can see the post where you might be looking for exploits about sugar babies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If you need extra legal help I can probably donate some time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Correct, where the Oregon NIL basically allows the players to accept heroin as payment. 

This shit will be out of control unless there are some national rules

The NCAA had plenty of chances to do this, but they are a useless, leaderless organization.

46 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I just can't imagine that this Oregon Nike bullshit is going to sit well with all their school affiliates. 

Probably not.  But what’s Nike’s overall revenue and brand foot print from universities like compared to all the other shit they sell?  

They’ll sell athletes first, with their brand.  They’re just making sure they’re getting the athletes from the ground up now that it’s semi-legal.  

Adidas just jumped the gun.

Chess, not checkers.  

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

4 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

No shit.  This is kinda where I’m at.  

See my above post.  They will not give a fuck.  All they need is one Kobe or Lebron to come out of Oregon to break even.  In the process they pay to win everything for Phil Knight’s alma mater.

Phil Knight is laughing his ass off right now.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

For those not familiar with campus life and don’t get the reference, Jester is known for being an all male dorm.

Sorry you never got laid in college. That Jester all-girl 4th floor, aka the Virgin Vault, was like stepping into your own harem. Good times.

8hQS.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Maybe we could give every recruit some crypto

You don't think this is already happening? Privacy Coins are the new McDonalds bag/FedEx Envelope....and now that NFTs are "legal", just imagine what will happen this season? A badass Bijan Robinson run can be sold as an NFT clip with his "autograph" of authenticity, for example. Dapper Labs is no doubt already on it. The sky is truly the limit, and it goes way beyond Nike and their considerable marketing muscle. The teams that will thrive are the ones that will embrace this shit and be creative and proactive. And it won't be hard to stay 10 steps ahead of the NCAA. Those fucktards probably still think Crypto is fake internet money, and they definitely have no idea what a NFT is.

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit is right. I don’t want to project out on the ledge too far, but……this sure seems like the NIL will completely destroy the sport. It’s just dollars for championships now. 

this post is funny.  did anyone really ever think this wasn't going to destroy college football and basketball?  was no one paying attention?

we just need to have our big board, our budget, and start writing checks that can be renewed yearly and increased or decreased based on performance.  if the guy wants 4 years of checks guaranteed before he signs you decide if it is worth it.

I will laugh though when the Oregon women's triple jumper sues based on title IX now.

I do agree we should go straight to the negotiations for the super conference.  

We're Texas so we will try to keep playing it somewhat straight while getting our ass handed to us because we think it matters to play somewhat by the rules.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

You guys are thinking about this all wrong, players don't want to do work outside of football to get money and most don't care about building their brand. Oregon just showed you can straight give a kid 100k for someone else drawing a picture of him. That's what NIL is, straight payment for playing football

This is pretty much it. Which schools/boosters are going to straight up pay players. 

This Thibodeaux deal with Nike has nothing to do "leveraging partnerships." They're just giving Thibodeaux a salary with Phil Knight's money. I'm sure Oregon is going to do something similar with other players. 

Texas looks like they're trying to leverage this NIL stuff legitimately instead of just getting boosters to start bankrolling some random bullshit like this Thibodeaux deal. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Oregon has been paying top recruits these figures. It’s just public now. We now have an avenue to level the playing field without stepping on our bullshit moral code, see how long it takes us to get there though.

Lol that you think Texas doesn't pay players cause of some "moral code". Texas makes alot of money and they don't make that money by being "moral".

• Hook 'Em 1

why is there so much nft discussion?

do they really need to be that clever about it?  seems like there’s no rule about overall licensing deals that pay big $$ and don’t even require a photo, autograph, or public appearance, let alone unique digital collectibles.

and everyone on the team is eligible, though the tales of “this will only become a thing with the big stars” bit is adorable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Some poor staffer is having to explain blockchain to Ed Orgeron. 

This just might be the best single line of Hank Scorpio's posting "career." What an absolutely incredible mental image. I would pay to see a cartoon of this someday. Preferably one starring Evan Stewart, Devon Campbell, or Rueben Owens (for a seven figure payout, of course). 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

The NCAA had plenty of chances to do this, but they are a useless, leaderless organization.

Agreed. But here’s why—SCOTUS threatened to deem the NCAA a monopoly if they passed any national regulations. NCAA got scared and so states just started passing laws

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It depends on what you mean by “coordinate” with UT staff. It’s possible they delegated everything to a third party to act as kind of a go between. They have have a compliance email I imagine is for questions like yours. The UT staff can’t organize the deal or help set it up (like physically be there). I don’t have enough posts to access the thread with the rest of your thoughts but like I said I’ll be glad to help if needed.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

why is there so much nft discussion?

do they really need to be that clever about it?  seems like there’s no rule about overall licensing deals that pay big $$ and don’t even require a photo, autograph, or public appearance, let alone unique digital collectibles.

and everyone on the team is eligible, though the tales of “this will only become a thing with the big stars” bit is adorable. 

This particular NFT thing is clever because it makes determining fair market value for it nearly impossible partly because of its uniqueness and partly because of the parties involved. 

A booster could pay millions for it on the pretense it’s a speculative collectible on the future best NFL player in history .

What do you compare it too? Plus art is in the eye of the beholder. It’s not like a pair of shoes.

And Fuck u if u consider shoes art. u dapper sneaker head 

Edited by UtBlaw
Clarity
  • Haha 1

Yeah I don’t get it either. Hooked up with a couple girls there, and had a buddy who used to have girls from another floor let themselves j to his room at night. Maybe it’s changed in the last 20 years?

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Jester is an all male dorm? I don’t get the joke. I hooked up with two females while there for orientation on our floor’s common room. Hung out with a few in their dorm room while on campus too. I can’t be the only one.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah I don’t get it either. Hooked up with a couple girls there, and had a buddy who used to have girls from another floor let themselves j to his room at night. Maybe it’s changed in the last 20 years?

Lived there my freshman year 30 years ago. It was also coed then. 

Remember when people were saying Texas was going to lead the nation in NIL? Lmao.  Oregon and Miami are straight up paying players openly now and we’re telling recruits we will help increase their Instagram followers so.  As usual, Texas steps on their dicks.

• Hook 'Em 6

11 hours ago, Getafix said:

Perroni, on Brenen Thompson.

🦆  🦆  🦆  🦆  🦆  🦆 

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.2d988806a7123e87205847b6a0873c2d.png

Texas should offer Major Everhart as a contingency, who's actually a little faster than Brenen Thompson

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12697028/5f821c4fb53e880350e94755

https://247sports.com/player/major-everhart-46100657/

• Hook 'Em 2

Just because other schools are first out of the gate doesn't mean Texas can't or doesn't want to compete. Texas has a larger fanbase, more BMDs, and a bigger media market than anybody else out there. 

It's entirely possible other individual donors might be willing to become a loss leader and commit millions( think Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, etc.), but I imagine if somebody buttered up McCombs or whomever, we'll have no problem matching. Hell, somebody just needs to tell the PE firm that financed the Moody Center that their rate of return on the basketball arena will be 3 times faster if they invest an extra million in Keyonte George and 2 buddies. What's the difference when you are already $200+ million invested. Unless we think the PE firm has morals about NIL sponsorships. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Just because other schools are first out of the gate doesn't mean Texas can't or doesn't want to compete. Texas has a larger fanbase, more BMDs, and a bigger media market than anybody else out there. 

I think it's obvious Texas wants to compete. The problem with these other schools busting out of the gate is that it may have already cost Texas a Texas recruit, and it could cost more.

As for our BMDs, if they can get motivated enough, that's fine. I'm not hearing about a lot of motivation now that a coach has been hired.

15 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

It's entirely possible other individual donors might be willing to become a loss leader and commit millions( think Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, etc.), but I imagine if somebody buttered up McCombs or whomever, we'll have no problem matching. Hell, somebody just needs to tell the PE firm that financed the Moody Center that their rate of return on the basketball arena will be 3 times faster if they invest an extra million in Keyonte George and 2 buddies. What's the difference when you are already $200+ million invested. Unless we think the PE firm has morals about NIL sponsorships. 

You clearly don’t understand how PE works.  They literally cannot do that.

Limited Partnership agreements have covenants that keep PE firms from doing things like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Jester is an all male dorm? I don’t get the joke. I hooked up with two females while there for orientation on our floor’s common room. Hung out with a few in their dorm room while on campus too. I can’t be the only one. 

Sounds like you two have the same issues most dodge owners have...tranny problems. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit is right. I don’t want to project out on the ledge too far, but……this sure seems like the NIL will completely destroy the sport. It’s just dollars for championships now. 

You're right. With NIL, the only teams that will have a shot at winning the championship are teams willing to spend the money. The only teams that will have a shot will be Bama, Clemson, LSU, USC, Ohio St, and maybe occasionally Texas or Auburn. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting