Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

21 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Just because other schools are first out of the gate doesn't mean Texas can't or doesn't want to compete. Texas has a larger fanbase, more BMDs, and a bigger media market than anybody else out there. 

It's entirely possible other individual donors might be willing to become a loss leader and commit millions( think Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, etc.), but I imagine if somebody buttered up McCombs or whomever, we'll have no problem matching. Hell, somebody just needs to tell the PE firm that financed the Moody Center that their rate of return on the basketball arena will be 3 times faster if they invest an extra million in Keyonte George and 2 buddies. What's the difference when you are already $200+ million invested. Unless we think the PE firm has morals about NIL sponsorships. 

Judging by how the state of the team changed from a sub ten win team to a potential final four team via transfers, I can assure you there are investments being made

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

You clearly don’t understand how PE works.  They literally cannot do that.

Limited Partnership agreements have covenants that keep PE firms from doing things like that.

PE firms can't sign marketing and advertising deals? 

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Holy shit is right. I don’t want to project out on the ledge too far, but……this sure seems like the NIL will completely destroy the sport. It’s just dollars for championships now. 

Just wait until organized crime decides how to play it.... they just opened Pandora's box for fixing games

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think it's obvious Texas wants to compete. The problem with these other schools busting out of the gate is that it may have already cost Texas a Texas recruit, and it could cost more.

As for our BMDs, if they can get motivated enough, that's fine. I'm not hearing about a lot of motivation now that a coach has been hired.

There's 6 months til signing day. No 'above the table' NIL deal announced on day 6 is going to permanently cost us a recruit. 

Just now, Hornlover said:

There's 6 months til signing day. No 'above the table' NIL deal announced on day 6 is going to permanently cost us a recruit. 

Obviously there's time until signing day, but I'm not going to pretend I'd rather not get as far behind as a commitment on a recruit. A little harder to flip.

11 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Sounds like you two have the same issues most dodge owners have...tranny problems. 

It was coed in 99. Girls inhabited the same floor for crying out loud. 

Sorry for partying.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Lol that you think Texas doesn't pay players cause of some "moral code". Texas makes alot of money and they don't make that money by being "moral".

Ok then why haven’t we been/aren’t we cheating our asses off?

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Jester is an all male dorm? I don’t get the joke. I hooked up with two females while there for orientation on our floor’s common room. Hung out with a few in their dorm room while on campus too. I can’t be the only one. 

He lived in Moore-Hill and someone told him it was Jester North.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

everyone on the team is eligible, though the tales of “this will only become a thing with the big stars” bit is adorable. 

And that was the level of public discussion beforehand. While the obvious ways this could be abused were apparent, they weren't much discussed based on the adorable premise above.

No matter how much the cynically-voiced people congratulate themselves with asking why are people surprised, it's clear from many reactions that people are surprised, but there is more.

Chagrined. I'm not surprised. I couldn't have guessed the scale of the payments Oregon now advertises, but the pathway there was clearly evident. I just hate it, that's all.

I hate the discussion about Texas needing to find a way to do the same thing to win this nuclear arms race. I hate that other fanbases are likely shouting the same things.

But players were always paid! Hundred dollar handshakes and similar benefits are not the same as a six figure NIL deal where an 18-year-old can start building his brand. I expect the future to hold feature length movies full of ass-shaking dancers and raining coin filling the back- and foregrounds of commitment announcements. Texas may overtake California and rival Bollywood with the number of movie productions per year.

I hate it all because, as I stated earlier, it's not a show I'll likely want to watch. I really loved college football as it was. That doesn't mean I believe it was pristine. Nothing is. I get it. I don't need sports radio explaining the world to me, thank you very much.

Harrumph!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Remember when people were saying Texas was going to lead the nation in NIL? Lmao.  Oregon and Miami are straight up paying players openly now and we’re telling recruits we will help increase their Instagram followers so.  As usual, Texas steps on their dicks.

I’m not in this boat yet. The NIL Statute for Texas is new and just went into affect. I think everybody’s probably watching to see what universities and companies do - both from a creative standpoint and to see what they can get away with. It’s only July, and nobody signs until December. Give everybody a little time for the dust to settle. If Texas hasn’t made any moves by the time the season starts, then yes, we are indeed stepping on our own dicks.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Obviously there's time until signing day, but I'm not going to pretend I'd rather not get as far behind as a commitment on a recruit. A little harder to flip.

The game has changed as you say. Would you live in Austin if somebody paid you $200,000 up front with more to come to live somewhere else?

Well yeah, the nightlife is solid and the education first rate, but we're talking cash, man. I'll move to Austin if I want to when I'm rich.

In the presence of cash all of UT's/USC's/Washington's/etc's advantages look pretty trivial. In high school a million years ago, I was a promising DL. I would have crawled to Austin for an offer. While crawling, had someone slowed their car beside me and offered $100K to get in and be driven to another good school (make it $125 for a shitty one), I'd have likely ejaculated in my worn, filthy jeans before leaping into the car.

My scorn and amusement at the Aggies bragging about their (illusory) wealth and how it speaks so well of them that they can spend enough money to attract a sitting MNC coach despite his obvious reservations must be discarded, I suppose. 

I think I need not expand on this anymore. I'll just be sad when you can't distinguish between discussions of the NFL and CFB. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Jester is an all male dorm? I don’t get the joke. I hooked up with two females while there for orientation on our floor’s common room. Hung out with a few in their dorm room while on campus too. I can’t be the only one. 

I lived in Jester for 3 semesters.  It had 2 all male and 2 all female floors, the rest was co-ed (that was in West, dont even know for East).  There were girls everywhere

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

The game has changed as you say. Would you live in Austin if somebody paid you $200,000 up front with more to come to live somewhere else?

Well yeah, the nightlife is solid and the education first rate, but we're talking cash, man. I'll move to Austin if I want to when I'm rich.

In the presence of cash all of UT's/USC's/Washington's/etc's advantages look pretty trivial. In high school a million years ago, I was a promising DL. I would have crawled to Austin for an offer. While crawling, had someone slowed their car beside me and offered $100K to get in and be driven to another good school (make it $125 for a shitty one), I'd have likely ejaculated in my worn, filthy jeans before leaping into the car.

My scorn and amusement at the Aggies bragging about their (illusory) wealth and how it speaks so well of them that they can spend enough money to attract a sitting MNC coach despite his obvious reservations must be discarded, I suppose. 

I think I need not expand on this anymore. I'll just be sad when you can't distinguish between discussions of the NFL and CFB. 

Get ahold of yourself.

Oregon did a great job lining up a very visible, six figure NIL deal for the #1 overall recruit and future top 5 draft pick on their roster. Obviously they would be first, and the surprise of it is what's making your stones ache. 

Your anecdote about getting paid to go to a school has applied forever in the form of bags. NIL hasn't and wont replace bags. Most of their roster will still be hocking t-shirts and Cameo appearances. 

It's important to note that Thibodeaux didn't announce a deal with Nike, he announced a deal with Phil Knight. The big money deals are not exclusive to Oregon because Nike, they're exclusive to schools with boosters who want to legally endorse football players. We have that, it just falls on the admin to connect the dots between the two. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think he's channeling Carl and implying that all the coeds at UT look like dudes

• Haha 2

Bijan great game. What do you think is the difference this year with your speed and cut back abilities 

well FCB I couldn’t do this all with out the love ans support of my coaches and family and Dr Schols custom inserts.  If you want to be your best and run like me head to your local wal greens ans get dr schols inserts. 

eat fresh

post game bout to be lit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's important to note that Thibodeaux didn't announce a deal with Nike, he announced a deal with Phil Knight.

I think it's also important to that note that it's basically still Nike. We'll call it Knightke, if that makes everyone at the table feel better.

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I think it's also important to that note that it's basically still Nike. We'll call it Knightke, if that makes everyone at the table feel better.

If you're going to lose your shit over the distinction, or lack thereof in your mind, then I'm not sure how you'd handle that it isn't "Texas" that is getting all these kids great deals, it's just Texas alumni. The correct answer is:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b6g8hls2fsghssedgh0

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I mean... It's not. The only merit to your argument is the potential licensing implications for the creator and the ease that Phil Knight would have in clearing those hurdles. But you don't buy anything from Nike.

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/62063572189801735929855416710947666154492809223759268513980634423706559448295

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I mean... It's not. The only merit to your argument is the potential licensing implications for the creator and the ease that Phil Knight would have in clearing those hurdles. But you don't buy anything from Nike.

https://opensea.io/assets/0x495f947276749ce646f68ac8c248420045cb7b5e/62063572189801735929855416710947666154492809223759268513980634423706559448295

Look, obviously it's not Nike, save your links. But tell these kids it's not Nike. That they're not dealing with "the guy from Nike." That's the point.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Look, obviously it's not Nike, save your links. But tell these kids it's not Nike. That they're not dealing with "the guy from Nike." That's the point.

Money is green. My point is that this is not exclusive to Oregon, it's exclusive to rich boosters. Go get the Air Jordan's guy yourself, or some other kickass graphic artist with name recognition. Anyone can do this - we just got beat to the punch.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you're going to lose your shit over the distinction, or lack thereof in your mind, then I'm not sure how you'd handle that it isn't "Texas" that is getting all these kids great deals, it's just Texas alumni. The correct answer is:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b6g8hls2fsghssedgh0

WHO IN THE FUCK IS LOSING THEIR SHIT HERE, CARTON!?

King Of The Hill Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by UncleBuck

13 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Georgia has been doing what Oregon is doing right now for 5 years. I don’t think all the talent in the world can overcome shitty coaching. I just want to win a couple big 12 titles for fucks sake. We can do that with 4*’s that are coached really well. 

Georgia’s AD literally sent an email to all its boosters telling them they can pay the athletes. 

why our AD is sitting on its ass not doing shit is ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, NoName said:

in what universe is it good news that a guy seen as a heavy lean to a program bumps back his decision timeline?

Well, if he was recruiting some other kid to Baylor, it sounds like in the very recent past he was feeling Baylor. Glass half full n shit

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Just because other schools are first out of the gate doesn't mean Texas can't or doesn't want to compete. Texas has a larger fanbase, more BMDs, and a bigger media market than anybody else out there. 

It's entirely possible other individual donors might be willing to become a loss leader and commit millions( think Phil Knight, T Boone Pickens, etc.), but I imagine if somebody buttered up McCombs or whomever, we'll have no problem matching. Hell, somebody just needs to tell the PE firm that financed the Moody Center that their rate of return on the basketball arena will be 3 times faster if they invest an extra million in Keyonte George and 2 buddies. What's the difference when you are already $200+ million invested. Unless we think the PE firm has morals about NIL sponsorships. 

The longer we sit on our ass the further we fall behind. We should have led the way with this but instead Oregon/Miami/Georgia are leading the way. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Georgia’s AD literally sent an email to all its boosters telling them they can pay the athletes. 

why our AD is sitting on its ass not doing shit is ridiculous. 

I'd love to see the spilled tea in Pemberton Heights, City Hall, Media and the tower if CDC sent out this email. We might even get a return trip from Gloria while TMZ and Bohls/Davis fight off the hard-on of their life.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Wait I must’ve missed this. Who was he recruiting to Baylor? 

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Kalvin Dinkins decommitted from Southern Miss Monday. Why does that matter to Texas? He reported to several outlets that he is being recruited by D. Brown to Baylor. 

https://247sports.com/player/kalvin-dinkins-46114695/

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting