Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't he not make the trip to FL/Bama?

He did not.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Hmm.. and what are the prospects that Stewart holds the line and takes his visits?

I think he will. Not worrying about UIL eligibility will put his focus on recruiting. Only way he shuts it down is if Florida puts a deal in front of him thats a no brainer. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, Bevo14 said:

“The coaches at Texas are telling me to just visit after I commit,” Skinner said. “I am not sure if I will be able to, but it is something I will talk with my parents about.

That sure makes it sound like it's definitely not Texas 

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Jaleel Skinner Profile/Update from On3's Chad Simmons:

https://247sports.com/player/jaleel-skinner-46058801/

“The coaches at Texas are telling me to just visit after I commit,” Skinner said. “I am not sure if I will be able to, but it is something I will talk with my parents about.

okay-that-doesnt-sound-good.gif

Curious what thoughts are on Jacoby Matthews. I was surprised at his 40 and shuttle times on 247. What makes him a 5 star? Does he project more as a LB than safety? Play "fast" or with aggression? Just think a 4.75 forty and 4.59 shuttle are a little lacking for a D1 5 star safety prospect. Those times are from The Opening Regional 03/19. Don't know if there's anything else more recent out there.

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

Curious what thoughts are on Jacoby Matthews. I was surprised at his 40 and shuttle times on 247. What makes him a 5 star? Does he project more as a LB than safety? Play "fast" or with aggression? Just think a 4.75 forty and 4.59 shuttle are a little lacking for a D1 5 star safety prospect. Those times are from The Opening Regional 03/19. Don't know if there's anything else more recent out there.

That's a good question. The early talk was about him playing linebacker. I think he wanted no part in that. Then, I was under the impression his speed and agility looked good enough for safety (camps/7v7). Maybe, it was to placate him, I don't know. His film looks good, but I personally think he will end up like Overshown who was okay in the secondary but very good at linebacker.

27 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Those numbers sound alright for a high school freshman. I'm sure he's faster than that now.

Assessing the Evan Stewart situation following decision to forego senior season

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— Evan Stewart announced his decision to opt-out of the rest of his senior season today. The five-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver had been in and out of the lineup in the past month, and from what I was told, Stewart had a few disagreements with his coaching staff. The biggest came after Stewart missed a practice on Labor Day weekend for personal reasons. I was told that Stewart was accused of missing it for other reasons than he gave the coaching staff, and both sides had a heated disagreement over it resulting in a short suspension. I was told by someone close to him that Stewart held a chip on his shoulder toward the staff because they didn't really help get his name out there in the early stages of his recruitment and didn't do much to help teammates get noticed. Though he did come back and play following that suspension, the rift between both sides has been growing over the last few weeks.

— Stewart has gone quiet since making his announcement and didn't return any texts or calls I made to him today. When I last spoke to him over a week ago, Stewart alluded to the idea that this could be coming if he couldn't figure out the issues with the staff. I checked on rumors of a failed drug test, but didn't find any validity to those at the moment. Stewart is of course a megastar on social media, and he will likely have some NIL opportunities in the future. I've been told that in preparation for those opportunities, Stewart has some new people in his circle to help him manage the business side. There was some pushback from folks at his school about his public fame and persona, and Stewart cryptically tweeted "Always remember who has the power" a few weeks ago.

— What does this do for his recruitment? I'm not sure much of anything changes. Texas still talks with Stewart frequently and sees him as a primary target. This does put them in a precarious situation as they obviously want to support the kid they are recruiting while also not alienating themselves with the high school coaches. There have been some whispers that a couple of those new people in his circle are interested in taking a bigger role in his recruitment, but I haven't heard that on the Texas side. All in all, this is a pretty crazy story and somewhat indicative of a new day and age where players are taking more ownership of their process. If I hear more, I'll let you guys know.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

— Evan Stewart announced his decision to opt-out of the rest of his senior season today. The five-star Frisco Liberty wide receiver had been in and out of the lineup in the past month, and from what I was told, Stewart had a few disagreements with his coaching staff. The biggest came after Stewart missed a practice on Labor Day weekend for personal reasons. I was told that Stewart was accused of missing it for other reasons than he gave the coaching staff, and both sides had a heated disagreement over it resulting in a short suspension. I was told by someone close to him that Stewart held a chip on his shoulder toward the staff because they didn't really help get his name out there in the early stages of his recruitment and didn't do much to help teammates get noticed. Though he did come back and play following that suspension, the rift between both sides has been growing over the last few weeks.

— Stewart has gone quiet since making his announcement and didn't return any texts or calls I made to him today. When I last spoke to him over a week ago, Stewart alluded to the idea that this could be coming if he couldn't figure out the issues with the staff. I checked on rumors of a failed drug test, but didn't find any validity to those at the moment. Stewart is of course a megastar on social media, and he will likely have some NIL opportunities in the future. I've been told that in preparation for those opportunities, Stewart has some new people in his circle to help him manage the business side. There was some pushback from folks at his school about his public fame and persona, and Stewart cryptically tweeted "Always remember who has the power" a few weeks ago.

— What does this do for his recruitment? I'm not sure much of anything changes. Texas still talks with Stewart frequently and sees him as a primary target. This does put them in a precarious situation as they obviously want to support the kid they are recruiting while also not alienating themselves with the high school coaches. There have been some whispers that a couple of those new people in his circle are interested in taking a bigger role in his recruitment, but I haven't heard that on the Texas side. All in all, this is a pretty crazy story and somewhat indicative of a new day and age where players are taking more ownership of their process. If I hear more, I'll let you guys know.

Oh great.. handlers trying to get involved. Just go ahead and kiss this one goodbye. 

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

Sounds like a cancer, I'll pass.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Major project seems a bit hyperbole for a player that many knowledgeable recruitniks on here considered 2nd only to Ewers as a QB prospect a few short months ago and vastly superior to the other TX QBs 

I honestly thought he was a camp warrior that has proven absolutely nothing on the field who happens to have a NFL intangibles. I was clueless as to why at the time he was a 5 * but I don't know shit. Seems to be a likable guy with tons of talent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I honestly thought he was a camp warrior that has proven absolutely nothing on the field who happens to have a NFL intangibles. I was clueless as to why at the time he was a 5 * but I don't know shit. Seems to be a likable guy with tons of talent.

Camp is the only time he is around comparable talent of his own. His HS team is garbage, he really should have transferred his senior year. But all in all I think this kid will out perform his ranking.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Camp is the only time he is around comparable talent of his own. His HS team is garbage, he really should have transferred his senior year. But all in all I think this kid will out perform his ranking.

I agree and hope he does but there was a ton of hype from a kid that hadn't won on any level that really mattered. Great QB's make teams drastically better. He is team must be really, really bad. 

59 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

Sounds like an all American to me. 

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The MM evaluation to me is very similar to Card right now. Both have immense talent and shine in 7-7 settings, but both need a lot of development when there’s a pass rush etc. If they can figure out that mental side, they’ll be great. If not, they’ll suck. 

Murphy and Card are two of the most different high school QB prospects I can think of.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The MM evaluation to me is very similar to Card right now. Both have immense talent and shine in 7-7 settings, but both need a lot of development when there’s a pass rush etc. If they can figure out that mental side, they’ll be great. If not, they’ll suck. 

Swoopes isn't the perfect comp but he's a lot closer than Card.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

- In his one year at QB, Card had 50 TDs ad 4 INTs.  At the 6A level.  Stats aside, I believe he came in as a - supposedly - polished passer.

- MM has 15 TDs and 8 INTs over last season and this season (to date).  

- And Card played WR his junior season (and ran quite a bit, as a QB). > 1,100 yards and > 600 yards, respectively.  MM has rushed for 61 yards to date (Max Preps).

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Card was surrounded by the best players, the best coaches, and the best facilities at a football powerhouse. It’s not even close to the same.

45 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

I agree and hope he does but there was a ton of hype from a kid that hadn't won on any level that really mattered. Great QB's make teams drastically better. He is team must be really, really bad. 

His team went 4-2 last season, and he got hurt this season. You make it sound like they lost every game.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

When you're a high school junior what levels matter?  What levels don't matter?  How many fucking levels are there?

He chose to play for his local public school instead of playing for one of the numerous football powerhouses that recruit the state.  As the poster above mentioned - they went 4-2 in a COVID shortened season.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Stewart has gone quiet since making his announcement and didn't return any texts or calls I made to him today. When I last spoke to him over a week ago, Stewart alluded to the idea that this could be coming if he couldn't figure out the issues with the staff. I checked on rumors of a failed drug test, but didn't find any validity to those at the moment. Stewart is of course a megastar on social media, and he will likely have some NIL opportunities in the future. I've been told that in preparation for those opportunities, Stewart has some new people in his circle to help him manage the business side. There was some pushback from folks at his school about his public fame and persona, and Stewart cryptically tweeted "Always remember who has the power" a few weeks ago.

Seems like someone doesn't have his ear to the streets.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

When you're a high school junior what levels matter?  What levels don't matter?  How many fucking levels are there?

He chose to play for his local public school instead of playing for one of the numerous football powerhouses that recruit the state.  As the poster above mentioned - they went 4-2 in a COVID shortened season.

Are you trying to make a point with me? I'm not arguing with anyone on this. Just stating the obvious.

Tbh I'm not a huge fan of this recent opting out of senior year of HS bullshit. Seems to me that could lead to players having a tantrum and opting out in the middle of a game. (As if that would ever happen, amirite?)

Having said that, still want Evan Stewart wearing burnt orange.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting