Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Unpopular take, I'm sure, but Roach is fine. He's clearly unhappy doing his job. And he's not particularly good at it. But he seems to be the rare 9.95er that doesn't make shit up. He will actually say "I don't know" instead of tossing a 300-word salad full of bullshit that makes the author seem like he knows what he is talking about when, in fact, he does not. TL;DR Roach is basically a harmless idiot, but that's pretty good for this industry as things go.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

How does that square with this tweet from one of the TFB guys? Is the thought that the admin is actively blocking boosters from doing this stuff?

Is it an SEC thing to put the town water tower in an edit or is this for mouth-breathers that live in these shitty towns to brag about having running water that doesn’t come from a hole in the ground?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, texifornia said:
Much as I love dunking on 9.95er writing, I think that's a pretty innocent typo - missed the period after Brown.

That whole thing was full of typos. I think Roach was typing with one hand and shoving a footlong in his mouth with the other.

A Bob Stoops delicacy

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I am interested to see how the NIL changes the way some of these 5 stars actually play in college. Perkins and Stewart have a lot of bust vibes flowing, as does Blue. Blue being an early enrollee hopefully changes his attitude, but this class might be remembered more for the 5-star busts more than anything else.

what bust vibes does Perkins have? no, really.

24 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You seriously don't understand that flaky recruitments have a higher bust rate? And with the new transfer rule they are absolutely going to have a higher transfer rate.

I mean Bru McCoy is really talented.

He is a really talented LB, WR he is solid. Just another kid in love with the ball in his hands

35 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You seriously don't understand that flaky recruitments have a higher bust rate? And with the new transfer rule they are absolutely going to have a higher transfer rate.

yes, i understand that.

perkins has had a strange recruitment but he committed ONCE during the cycle - 1/2/22 and decommitted 1/24/22. hasn't even taken his 5 OVs yet (as of now only Texas, A&M and Florida - finishes with Miami and LSU)

this isn't a Zach Evans or Ryan Newsome or Justin Watkins recruitment. come on!

41 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I think he means a Zach Evans type bust where the player becomes lazy and takes plays off to preserve their body for the NFL.

the guy plays both ways on his high school team and has for 3 years...doesn't sound like a guy who is out there halfassing it to save his body to me.

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

yes, i understand that.

perkins has had a strange recruitment but he committed ONCE during the cycle - 1/2/22 and decommitted 1/24/22. hasn't even taken his 5 OVs yet (as of now only Texas, A&M and Florida - finishes with Miami and LSU)

this isn't a Zach Evans or Ryan Newsome or Justin Watkins recruitment. come on!

I had not heard that name in a long time and had forgotten he was still playing in college (ASU). I'm unsure if he would have been a bust for us as well considering that Charlie was making the eval or if he just peaked in High School. Either way, his stats are not very impressive for the first 3 years of play. He is a redshirt senior this year, so only has 1 year left to get to the league.

image.thumb.png.1674a0192c33f7895dbc5ad999c42906.png

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean Bru McCoy is really talented.

Also, to me, not playing off the ball ILB yet is a minor question mark if that's where he's being projected. Learning reads, fits, taking on blockers, tackling in a phone booth, drops, etc is a combined skill, and while some freak athletes spun to ILB turn into Devin White or Christian Harris, sometimes they never figure it all out, or figure it out in the NFL instead of in college 

Based on his highlights, it looks like he's mostly playing at overhang/edge/OLB (where Malick Jefferson and Baron Browning mostly played) or safety (Overshown)

A big part of it is buying into the position right away, and also not losing fluidity as you gain college muscle mass 

This all isn't to say that I don't think he's a 5*, because I think he is, but I think transitioning to a 5* ILB isn't necessarily a sure thing

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Look at Florida's staff. They're definitely done fucking around. 

The Perkins news shouldn't be surprising at all if you've paid attention to their staff hires. I bet Florida will be right in the mix for Mathews too.  

My dream for every poster on this board is that they can eventually find a woman (or a man, however they roll) that looks at them the way you look at the Florida staff. How about we sticky it at the top of this board that you're willing to cradle the balls, stroke the shaft, work the pipe and the swallow the gravy of any Florida staffer for the sake of paying homage to Billy Napier's wizardry? Then we can stop hearing about it on every other page.

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

No. It’s cultural. Texas boosters don’t want to cheat. They’re snobs. We’re having to talk real slow and hold hands to explain how NIL is Legal. I’ve told this story repeatedly, but these are literally guys who were incensed at the SEZ because athletes don’t need great facilities, the value of a university of texas degree is reward enough. 

It's not just a snobbery thing. The Texas brand quite easily transcends football and there isn't a strong sentiment from the power of the alumni base to change that. Folks here may not like it, or that every SEC school besides Vandy is willing to tie their entire brand identity to athletics, but it's a very real part of why Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame and a few others have never been big on straight up buying players. To boot, when someone in their base has done so (Fab Five; the ND female in the mid-90's), it's ended badly for the person(s) perpetuating the cheating and their relationship with the school.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My dream for every poster on this board is that they can eventually find a woman (or a man, however they roll) that looks at them the way you look at the Florida staff. How about we sticky it at the top of this board that you're willing to cradle the balls, stroke the shaft, work the pipe and the swallow the gravy of any Florida staffer for the sake of paying homage to Billy Napier's wizardry? Then we can stop hearing about it on every other page.

Who pissed in your cheerios? The thread was a discussion about why Perkins might be considering Florida so I chimed in. From now on I will advise you on what's allowed on this board. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's not just a snobbery thing. The Texas brand quite easily transcends football and there isn't a strong sentiment from the power of the alumni base to change that. Folks here may not like it, or that every SEC school besides Vandy is willing to tie their entire brand identity to athletics, but it's a very real part of why Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame and a few others have never been big on straight up buying players. To boot, when someone in their base has done so (Fab Five; the ND female in the mid-90's), it's ended badly for the person(s) perpetuating the cheating and their relationship with the school.

I know both you and Sydney have probably posted before but do you think that will ever change? What could cause it to change? 

11 hours ago, ousux said:
14 hours ago, texifornia said:
Much as I love dunking on 9.95er writing, I think that's a pretty innocent typo - missed the period after Brown.

That whole thing was full of typos. I think Roach was typing with one hand and shoving a footlong in his mouth with the other.

And then some

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I know both you and Sydney have probably posted before but do you think that will ever change? What could cause it to change? 

I don't follow what you're asking about here? The alumni base getting interested in cheating? No, I don't think that will ever change. I've talked to enough folks about it over the past few years and I feel like it's a multigenerational philosophical agreement. I include myself in that bunch, really. I don't want UT's brand attached to scandal and iniquity, and I want the academic side to always carry weight in conversations.

The first thing people will ever think of for Alabama is football. Same for OU, Clemson, LSU, etc. Florida's doing its best to get there. That's simply not what informed business professionals gravitate to first mentally when it comes to Texas, USC, Virginia, Michigan, Notre Dame, UW, etc. I'd be pretty conflicted if I were a UNC or Duke alum, given their prestige in the academic realm and the counter of the weight of the basketball brand for each. 

Anyway, NIL remedies the qualms about paying players. Now you can play players for their brand and effort around that, above board, and with a straight face. Let the fuckfaces continue to toil in the dark with the corner cases while the majority of the game begins to get played in the light.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Who pissed in your cheerios? The thread was a discussion about why Perkins might be considering Florida so I chimed in. From now on I will advise you on what's allowed on this board. 

You just keep hammering your affinity for the Florida staff to us repeatedly. I figured it was worth asking for some sort of respite, but I won't get the in the way of another man's love and passion for Billy Napier and the Florida Gators.

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To boot, when someone in their base has done so (Fab Five; the ND female in the mid-90's), it's ended badly for the person(s) perpetuating the cheating and their relationship with the school.

Ended disastrously for that ND chick; she fell pregnant by one of the players she was trying to buy. This was the same year their former O-line coach Joe Moore filed an age-discrimination lawsuit against ND, and a lot of nasty stories from Lou Holtz' tenure bubbled to the surface during court depositions. Shattered the 'Notre Dame mystique'.

image.pngimage.png

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Mom wants ATM
Uncle wants LSU
Harold Perkins wants Florida

This is going to be a nice little shitshow.  He's about as close as you can get to a guaranteed future portal entry before he's even attended a single college class.

i thought dad wanted LSU, uncle wants FL?

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't follow what you're asking about here? The alumni base getting interested in cheating? No, I don't think that will ever change. I've talked to enough folks about it over the past few years and I feel like it's a multigenerational philosophical agreement. I include myself in that bunch, really. I don't want UT's brand attached to scandal and iniquity, and I want the academic side to always carry weight in conversations.

Fully agree with this. If we ever sink to what A&M is doing now (setting new standards for cheating, hiring slimeball/racist/killer coaches, playing felons), I'll stop caring about Texas football. Not worth winning a game if you have to sink to that level of shitty humanity.

(Ok I probably won't stop caring, but I'll be pissed about it!)

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t understand why more kids don’t split from their parents and just enroll at the school they want to go to. 

Teenagers have fallouts with their parents all the time and you don’t need a parent’s signature to enroll in school. Every team is going to make the numbers work if this guy wants to come to their school. He doesn’t have to worry about a signed NLI to hold his scholarship. 

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don’t understand why more kids don’t split from their parents and just enroll at the school they want to go to. 

Teenagers have fallouts with their parents all the time and you don’t need a parent’s signature to enroll in school. Every team is going to make the numbers work if this guy wants to come to their school. He doesn’t have to worry about a signed NLI to hold his scholarship. 

Pretty sure there's some human psychology behind the answer to your question here..

Edited by Tex-19

Man, I just realized I haven't visited the rivals site in over a year.

They have Alabama as the #1 class. Guess aggy will have to burn their recruiting championship tshirts.

Looks like LSU recruits gained quite a bit in the rankings.

Edited by pacman