Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT

KEITH WHEELER

The 2022 wideout from Humble Atascocita took an unofficial to Austin with Omeire and Josh White. This is all new to the freshman with speed and upside.

Wheeler spoke about his first trip to see the University of Texas.

"It was good," said Wheeler. "The locker room and weight room facilities really stood out to me. (Mehringer and myself) went over what he recruits in his receivers and what he likes to see. He likes the big-body type that can win 1-on-1 battles. He also likes the big guys that can do both, 1-on-1 and go deep. Then a speedy receiver that can run sweeps."

What spot does the 15-year old Wheeler see himself in Austin?

"(Mehringer) had asked me which one I would like to be," Wheeler said. "I said 'probably Z'. If I get bigger (6-foot-1.5, 170 currently), I could become the 'X'."

Making the trip to the 40 Acres was one of many the sophomore-to-be will take during his recruitment. With kids his age, you simply plant seeds that you hope to harvest in a few years. For Texas and Wheeler, they've been planted.

17 hours ago, Fud said:

And he likes Texas a lot 

Yep, from Mike Roach today:

—Here is a quick note on 2022 Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry. We mentioned him as a prospect that turned heads with his performance during the camp. Dewberry said he’s already had contact with Texas, and he’s planning to visit for the spring game. If an offer comes for him, Texas would be considered a strong favorite based on conversations I had with him and those around him.

IT

KAM DEWBERRY - 2022 OL

It's early to discuss freshmen but some announce themselves ahead of schedule. After starting on varsity on a loaded Atascocita o-line, Dewberry has quietly built a solid reputation with scouting departments. Texas has actually been on him since he began high school.

He was about as good as any offensive lineman at last week's Houston Opening.

Adjusting to camp competition:
"Playing on varsity, it made me feel just like going against every day dudes. I don't really look at myself as a freshman. So I performed as if I was a senior or upperclassmen." 

Schools he's hearing from:
"University of Texas, a little bit of A&M (he has since received an offer), Baylor because I have an offer. That's mainly it right now." 

Has UT mentioned an offer:
"No, they haven't said anything about an offer but they'd like me to come up and watch a practice. Oh, and I'm sorry, U of H is recruiting me hard too."

Are you getting to Austin any time soon:
"I'm going to their spring game. I was going to go check out a practice but I didn't have time."

What is it about UT that has you interested:
"I believe that the best in Texas stay in Texas. I just always been, like when I was young, been a fan favorite of the University of Texas (he misspoke but you know what he means). It's just beautiful down there and it feels at home because I am at home in Texas." 

Here is a post from late January:

UT's known about that kid since junior high.

Here's what his dad said recently. These quotes would deflate the Ags pretty good if we didn't have so long to go.

"Kam loves Kenyon, that’s big brother and he has learned so much from him on the field. Kameron wants to create his own legacy and get his name out there I told him the comparisons will be with him forever but I can see him wanting to be somewhere different cause he wants to create his on legacy but at same time who knows he has a few years to think about that. I think he'll be the top lineman in 2022."

Spring visits:

"Spring will consist of The Opening, Under Armour, Rivals 3stripes. Want to get to UT and A&M Spring Games. Want to visit UT and he wants to put Longhorns uniforms on so bad but I’m gonna reach out to Coach Hand to see when we could come by."

He likes UT that much, huh?

"Yes, from camp and Coach Hand and we went to two games, he really enjoyed it."

I've been keeping in contact with Dewberry's dad quite a bit and their interest in Texas is about as high as you'll see it for an elite kid just beginning the process.

THE BEAR

For Kiethian Alexander, he was always big. Biggest in kindergarten, elementary school, and middle school. As the only freshman on varsity last year, the nickname 'Bear' seemed to fit the 6-foot-3, 340-pound defensive tackle from Terrell.

After another stellar camp performance, DL MVP at the Rivals camp last weekend, the Bear is picking up a lot of momentum.

"Florida, Baylor, A&M, Clemson, OK State, and Texas are recruiting me the hardest right now," said Alexander. "I'm just enjoying myself, trying to get better everyday."

Oklahoma State was the first to extend verbally, back in January. Six other schools have followed suit since including Florida, Texas A&M, Arizona, and Texas Tech.

With prospects getting offers sooner and sooner, taking a chance on Alexander doesn't seem like a big risk. The Class of 2022 d-tackle is already at 340 pounds before his sophomore snap. Some would see a player who might be maxed out before college, present company included. But the more I speak with HS and college coaches, the more I sense the Bear could be a difference maker at the next level, as long as he stays in shape and doesn't get lazy.

Despite not having a Texas offer, the Horns have their eyes on the massive defensive interior prospect.

"(Texas) was just one of the first schools that I went to visit," Alexander said. "I built a pretty good relationship with Coach Giles, and they are headed in the right direction."

Giles keeps really close tabs on the Terrell, TX native, who might be the second most famous animal from the area. (Jamie Foxx is from Terrell)

One of Terrell's assistants - DB coach Tony Jones - has been helping Alexander and junior teammate Jaqwondis Burns (6-foot-3, 200-pound OLB/RB) during their recruitments.

“(Bear, Jaqwondis, and himself) are chilling right now," said coach Jones. "They are both doing track for the next couple weeks and been road warriors for a while now so there are a few schools that we still have to hit. I know we're going to hit A&M soon and Jaqwondis has an official at Arizona the 12-14th.”

Texas is still evaluating both, with Bear being a target to watch. I mean they call him Bear, for crying out loud.

I saw this thread get bumped today and laughed. I've been thinking about the title for the 2023 Texas recruiting thread lately. Something like "Texas 2023 Recruiting: Tompocalypse Now" has a nice ring to it. Maybe "Texas 2023 Recruiting: Oh the Hermanity!". I don't know. Lots to work with around here.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I saw this thread get bumped today and laughed. I've been thinking about the title for the 2023 Texas recruiting thread lately. Something like "Texas 2023 Recruiting: Tompocalypse Now" has a nice ring to it. Maybe "Texas 2023 Recruiting: Oh the Hermanity!". I don't know. Lots to work with around here.

Not gonna lie, I fucking love Oh the Hermanity

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

'I got my Giles set on you'

'I only got Giles for you'

'Get out of mind and into my Oscar'

'Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Giles wiener'

• Like 3

I have no idea if he can play but someone named their child Pimp'Terius Henderson

Freshmen Boys - Long Jump
Prelims
Athlete School Best Distance
King, Cameron Cypress Park High School 19'-11"
Henderson, Pimp'Terius Bryan High School 19'-9 1/2"
Davis, Raymond Cypress Park High School 19'-5"
Josh Mcmillan Cypress Lakes High School 19'-1 1/2"

• Like 1

Aledo got a 2022 kid from FW Southwest named Bryan (BJ) Allen. Already has offers from Baylor and Houston.  We'll probably he talking about him in this thread eventually.

Ran a sub 11 100m in middle school.  The rich get richer.

Edited by fellside
Ttpo

Looks like Dewberry and Miller are the only 2022s of note to attend as of right now. IT notes:

RB Jamarion Miller, Lee (Tyler, TX): The little brother of Damion Miller will soon by a household name after starting at RB for Lee (6A) as a freshman. At 5’11, 178 pounds, he’s a more refined, more athletic version of his big bro, and with good grades. The kid is le-git. He has the chance to be special, not just good. (Last sentence written by Eric)

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX): Early leader for the state’s top offensive lineman in 2022. Texas will push and will likely have to battle A&M but this isn't going to be like the Kenyon Green recruitment.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting