Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT Inside Scoop 
WEEKEND VISITORS

Trent McGaughey
, Alvin Shadow Creek... One of the state's top prospects for 2022 has been a popular guy of late. Oregon, Nebraska, Tennessee, and North Carolina are just a few of the tight end's most recent offers. Texas definitely made an impression.

“The visit was great actually," said McGaughey. “The environment and the way the coaches treated me. I loved my visit there.”

It's still early, but another good sign of the staff's early relationship building.

Phaizon Wilson, Lancaster... The first thing you need to know is he calls himself New York. He's a transfer from South Oak Cliff and only had 8 catches last year but at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, the 2022 receiver holds 10 offers including Florida, Arkansas, Illinios, and Kansas.

“It was great,” said Wilson. “I would commit there if I get that offer. I connected with the receiver coach (Coleman) really well.“

What stood out the most about this trip? 

“The coaching really stands out,” Wilson said. “They’re all cool. They know when to be serious and when to be real. And the new facilities are really nice.” 

Wilson is a stud at a position Texas needs studs at for the foreseeable future. Look at UT working Lancaster early. .

Landen King, Humble Atascocita... the 6-foot-5 WR/TE wasn't expecting an offer when he arrived on campus. He got a pleasant surprise.

“Unreal," said King about his new offer. "I can't believe it." 

King is a part of a highly-talented crew from Atascocita. Teammate Kam Dewberry (2022 OL) joined King and both look to come back soon, possibly for the spring game.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with this kid. At 6'5, he'll grow out of safety pretty soon. 

Wells on Mccullough

Spoiler

At first sight, it's hard to believe the 6-foot-5 prospect from Kansas is a safety. After you learn he's a sophomore and watch him compete, you realize you've stumbled upon big-time potential.

My first thought was UT's DeMarvion Overshown. There are similarities in each's size, speed, and demeanor.

That's Dasan McCullough. The four-star defensive back from Olathe, KS plays 7-on-7 for former Kansas City Chiefs WR Samie Parker. His father, Deland, is the running backs coach for the world champion Chiefs.

With 33 offers - including Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, and Florida - in hand by his 16th birthday, you could say McCullough is off to a good start.

I caught up with the recent Texas offer at Pylon 7-on-7 in Fort Worth.

Inside Texas: What are your thoughts on that Texas offer, Dasan?

McCullough: "First, you notice how big of a football state Texas is. This is the first time I've been down here and you can tell how different it is from Kansas (laughs). The offer meant a lot. Coach Valai, I've been good friends with him awhile when he was with us (at KC). I hope to get down there this spring and visit."

IT: Coach Valai was on staff at Kansas City with your dad, how close are they?

DMc: "They are real close. That's actually how the call happened. Those two were just talking and they added me to call. It was great. I'm hoping to see (Austin) soon."

IT: What stands out about Coach Valai to you?

DMc: "High energy. That's the first thing I noticed. High energy. He was making it seem like he really wants me to find out about the football part and how they would use me. He said when I get down there, he's going to show me how they'll use me at UT. That's something that really sticks out. I really want to know how each program plans to use me. It has to be a good fit."

--- At 6-foot-5, safety might not be in the cards by the time he graduates in 2022. He's cool with that. His tape shows his versatility. ---

IT: How does UT want to use you in its defense?

DMc: "They like me at high safety right now. They have a safety there now...Overshown, who is like me. Valai was comparing me to him. I might be a little heavier (Overshown was 185 as sophomore, McCullough is 205). I think I'll fit in well seeing how they were using him. The history of safeties at Texas is outstanding."

McCullough doesn't realize Overshown was moved to Will linebacker this month, and speaking to Dasan, he understands he might spin down closer to the line of scrimmage in the future.

For now, he just wants to experience Austin and continue bonding with Coach Valai, and that's a good thing.

• Like 1

Note in today's Humidor over on IT says the staff is looking at a QB out of Cali, and that they currently do not believe the staff is recruiting surefire 5 star Quinn Ewers, lifetime longhorn fan, hard enough to land him. They're going to ask around as to why.

Commence the meltdown and calling Tom Herman a faget. Which he absolutely is, for the record. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Note in today's Humidor over on IT says the staff is looking at a QB out of Cali, and that they currently do not believe the staff is recruiting surefire 5 star Quinn Ewers, lifetime longhorn fan, hard enough to land him. They're going to ask around as to why.

Commence the meltdown and calling Tom Herman a faget. Which he absolutely is, for the record. 

I have had next to nothing to complain about w/r to our QB recruiting over Herman's tenure, so I'm willing to wait to hear what the issue is first.

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think it's likely that the stuff about Ewers is absolute horseshit made up by the IT staff because they just found out Texas is intently recruiting Maalik Murphy (along with every single program in the country) So they have simply run with the idea that if Texas is going hard after a CA QB, it must be lagging in it's recruitment of Ewers. 

Of course, maybe we consult Ewers own words from 4 days ago :: 

“Mississippi State offered recently,” he said. “I hear from Texas a lot along with Auburn, Alabama and Michigan. All of them are trying to stay in contact and I’m trying to stay in contact with them. Just trying to build some relationships with those guys and seeing where it takes us.”

• Like 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting