Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

OT - PJ Williams, Dickinson

https://247sports.com/Player/PJ-Williams-46097800/

Kid shot up from unranked/rated to #11 OT, #18 ovr in Texas in the update with a 92 from 247, which they typically cap at 95-96 for the class behind. He didn't even have a Rivals profile until today. Has offers from aggy, okie lite, rapelor and the usual cast of characters.

I'm not good at watching OL tape, but I'm not sure I understand the rating. He looks soft and he looks slow. Someone tell me what I'm missing. 

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Kid shot up from unranked/rated to #11 OT, #18 ovr in Texas in the update with a 92 from 247, which they typically cap at 95-96 for the class behind. He didn't even have a Rivals profile until today. Has offers from aggy, okie lite, rapelor and the usual cast of characters.

I'm not good at watching OL tape, but I'm not sure I understand the rating. He looks soft and he looks slow. Someone tell me what I'm missing. 

Aggy going after him in hopes it'll help with Donovan Green.

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't see it either. at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's bros (and teammates) with 2021 TE Donovan Green and by extension bros with Jalen Wydermyer. aggy trying to get the trio -- maybe they'll sign 5 kids from Dickinson like the Manvel kids a couple of years back. I think the move has everything to do with his considerable aggy interest. Note that he went directly above Dewberry and Blanks all of whom are still above Jaylen Early, all of which is laughable. Williams is really slow at 240 pounds if you add 40 pounds ...  The thing that concerns me more is that he gets out of balance far too often, he's stiff and high. He should be a nice middle 3-star because he has a really good frame and could likely be a RT/RG type player. He has no business in the top 40 in Texas right now. 

Watching Williams' HUDL and then watching Jaylen Early or Kam Dewberry is night and day. He's 60 pounds lighter than Dewberry, but Dewberry is WAY more flexible, faster, and more explosive with far better technique. He's playing way lower - feet underneath him, never falling and reaching. If you watch Early directly after Williams it looks like the film is sped up because he's so much faster - he's also so much more flexible and balanced. 

To me, you look at PJ Williams and you look at a REALLY RAW guy like Ebosele and you can't tell me that Williams is clearly better or has a ton more upside. I'd keep an eye on both to see their development because these are very young very big dudes, but Ebosele looks much more comparable to PJ right now than someone like Early, Dewberry, Blanks or Cameron Williams. Those guys are completely on a different level. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2020 at 3:43 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So not to be outdone by their blanket Dickinson offerings - it looks like now they might be moving on to offering all of DeSoto. Looks like they are making a move on OG and UConn commit Yakiri Walker. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Yakiri-Walker-46099044/

HammLite ::

Since he was in Pee Wee football, Jimbo Fisher has been one of DeSoto offensive guard Yakiri Walker's favorite coaches.

Earlier this week, Walker, who is the cousin of A&M safety Demani Richardson, had the chance to speak with Fisher as he looks ahead to his senior season.

“I spoke to him [Tuesday] because my cousin Demani Richardson, from Waxahachie, he told me to talk to him,” Walker said. “[Fisher] was like just keep working hard man.”

Walker has also spoken with Richardson about Aggieland, who has glowing things to say about the school.

“He says it's nice, it's real nice, this is the school you want to play at,” Walker said.

Walker said he has been hearing from UConn, Toledo, Hawaii, UCF and the Aggies. Just last month, Walker committed to the Huskies and they have still recruited him hard since he committed.

“Just keep working hard and don't stop grinding,” Walker said of the message from schools. “Just stay 10 toes down.”

DeSoto began practices approximately two weeks ago now and Walker is definitely glad to be back around his teammates and even missed some of the conditioning work.

“It feels great. You know being with my team we just got to keep a safe distance, but it feels great getting back to work with my brothers,” Walker said. “I missed the running and stuff like running, working out. That was the best part. Working out with my brothers. I just can't sit at home and do nothing.”

The Eagles are looking to make a deep run in the playoffs after a second-round exit last season.

• Like 1

Brian Perroni: Making two Crystal Ball picks in favor of A&M

To counter the Tony Grimes pick from A&M to UNC, here are two in favor of the Aggies. I think the 2022 4-star Katy duo of Bobby Taylor and Malick Sylla end up as Aggies. In fact, I think Taylor could end up making a decision before too long.

Even before he was offered, Taylor had continually listed A&M as a school he really, really wanted one from. He considered making a decision close to when he was offered but held off. When Maurice Linguist left for the NFL, that also slowed him down as Taylor was a huge fan of the CB coach. Now, he has also built up a good relationship with TJ Rushing as well. Taylor played safety as a freshman at Houston Heights and could potentially play there or nickel if the Aggies need him in one of those spots, but he is being recruited as a corner. He definitely has the potential to be the first A&M commitment in the 2022 class.

Sylla and Taylor have both continually said they plan to play at the same place in college. Teammates and/or friends say that all the time, though, and it does not always happen. But, the 6-foot-5, 225-pound pass rusher really likes the Aggies on his own accord. He has developed very good relationships with position coach Terry Price and area recruiter Elijah Robinson. They have let him know how much he is wanted in the class already. Sylla also is high on LSU, Oklahoma and Texas, among others, but I believe the nation's No. 68 overall prospect will be an Aggie.

With it being this early in the class, I am somewhat conservative on the confidence levels. I am putting Taylor at a 7 out of 10 and Sylla at a 6 out of 10 for the time being.

Apparently Yurch is in love

https://247sports.com/Player/Marlon-Gunn-Jr-46101240/

Going to go see him play *if* the team is able to travel to LSU. An offer is probably coming. 

The kid looks like Foreman and runs like RoJo. He does that thing where his downstep looks like he's squashing a bug every time. Looks menacing. He's the perfect RB2 take, imo. 

Edit to add: 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 2

College football Instagram fan pages are worse than most twitter pages...but Landon Hullaby says he is going to commit to Texas if this post gets 10k likes.... fwiw a bunch of our coaches, players and recruits have also liked it and it’s on Landon Hullabys IG Story

44 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

College football Instagram fan pages are worse than most twitter pages...but Landon Hullaby says he is going to commit to Texas if this post gets 10k likes.... fwiw a bunch of our coaches, players and recruits have also liked it and it’s on Landon Hullabys IG Story

The Office: Nope, Don't Like That... GIF by ihazcheese | Gfycat

• Like 3

On 6/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, Sock Monkey said:

He's from the heart of Big 10 country. Any Texas ties that would explain his interest? He has clearly visited, which I a prerequisite for me to believe there is a chance for an OOS recruit.

Joe Cook:

spoke with 2022 Westerville (OH) South WR Kaden Saunders. Definitely interested in Texas and has a close connection that predates athletic recruiting with Stan Drayton. Has visited in the past. Good baseball player, too.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kaden-Saunders-46081196/

• Like 2

if that kid is actually 280 (hell, even if he's 260 in that HUDL) with that frame - he's going to be a lean explosive 300. Either way - he's explosive AF and watching him split doubleteams as a Soph is fantastic, as well as some hilarious WR plays. Would love to get some legit measurements. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2DNUFn

also, looks like he was tagging Texas Football while lifting in May... 

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Hadn't seen this offer reported: 

58 minutes ago, golfclap said:

if that kid is actually 280 (hell, even if he's 260 in that HUDL) with that frame - he's going to be a lean explosive 300. Either way - he's explosive AF and watching him split doubleteams as a Soph is fantastic, as well as some hilarious WR plays. Would love to get some legit measurements. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2DNUFn

also, looks like he was tagging Texas Football while lifting in May... 

Does he seriously have at least 3 P5 offers and 247 doesn’t even have a page for him? 

Roach: Setting the defensive board

Spoiler

Recruiting means always working a year or two ahead.

In today’s age, schools have to be recruiting two and sometimes three classes at a time to stay up to date. When the new members of the Texas staff arrived on campus, they went to work on the 2021 class, but they also poured a ton into the 2022 group to get ahead.

In many ways, the Texas staff is already putting themselves into a strong position with the 2022 class. If Texas can win on the field this fall, the staff will be set up for a successful run in what is developing to be an insanely talented class.

With the board in place for the 2021 class so far, it’s time to look at what the 2022 board might have in store for Texas.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we look at where things stand with the 2022 prospects holding Texas offers.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Ernest Cooper, DE, Arlington Martin

The most impactful recruiter in the next year on defense for Texas will be Joseph Ossai. If he can turn in a stellar year and be drafted high out of Chris Ash’s new defense, recruiting will become much easier for Oscar Giles. Texas probably doesn’t lead for Cooper at this time, but a good year from Ossai matched with recruiting from Cooper’s teammate Morice Blackwell could help the Longhorns land the top pass rusher in the state.

Malick Sylla, DE, Katy

Sylla might have one of the highest ceilings of any prospect on the defensive line. Sylla says he wants to follow his teammate Bobby Taylor to the same school, but packaged deals rarely ever work out. Still, Texas doesn’t appear to be in the lead position. Like Cooper, things could change with a big year from Ossai but Texas has some work to do.

Omari Abor, DE, Duncanville

If the Texas staff can find their footing at Duncanville again, Abor would be a great prize for them. A dual-sport athlete with a legit basketball career, Abor translated that explosive ability to the field this past year. Oklahoma is another school to watch with Abor, but I think Texas is on the short list at the top for the talented pass rusher.

Shone Washington (Photo: Billy Embody, 247Sports)

Tygee Hill, DT, New Orleans (LA) Edna Karr

The Longhorns tried to make a push into Louisiana in offering Tygee Hill. While he’s likely to stay in the SEC, the Longhorns are in there and pushing for position. Texas has some experience recruiting defensive linemen out of Louisiana, but they will need to overcome some programs to pull in Hill.

Shone Washington, DT, New Orleans (LA) Warren Easton

Like Hill, Texas took its shot with Washington. While it’s also likely he sticks in the SEC, Texas will have an advantage with current commit Casey Cain at Easton. If Texas can win this year and Cain puts his recruiting hat on, Washington could be a guy Texas can reel in.

On the radar: Bear Alexander, Dallas Skyline, Gracen Halton, San Diego (Calif.) St. Augustine

LINEBACKER
Justin Medlock, Manvel

The Longhorns were early in offering Medlock before his stock really shot through the roof. The Manvel inside linebacker visited Texas just before quarantine kicked in and loved his visit with Coleman Hutzler. Hutzler is already showing some strong ability in 2020, but 2021 could be the year where we really figure out what he’s made of as a recruiter.

Martrell Harris, The Woodlands

The Longhorns were early to offer Harris and have been recruiting him hard. Harris and Texas linebackers coach Coleman Hutzler clicked quickly, but he will have some competition. Harris is close with Teddy Knox who recently committed to Mississippi State. The Bulldogs are likely the front runner for Harris and LSU would vault up that list if an offer came as well.

Harold Perkins, Cy Park

The race for Harold Perkins is already heating up and it’s likely to be one of the best races in recruiting over the next year and a half. Perkins will likely have every offer he wants by the time he signs, and the Longhorns were one of the first programs to jump in the boat for him. LSU, Texas A&M and Texas are a few of the school standing out for Perkins right now, and it’s likely that list keeps growing as Perkins continues to emerge.

On the radar: Jaylen Sneed, Hilton Head (SC), Cyrus Moss Las Vegas (NV) Bishop Gorman

CORNERBACK
Isaac Thompson, St. Louis (MO) St. Louis University

Thompson planned to visit Austin prior to the pandemic, and he’s made it clear how much interest he has in the Longhorns. Thompson sought out Jay Valai to lobby for an offer. Texas will have to face off with a few different top programs for him, but there’s a real chance the become a legitimate contender once Thompson makes a visit to Austin.

Domani Jackson, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

One of the elite prospects in the nation, Jackson made it clear from day one that Texas is a school he will consider heavily. He’s often called Michigan his dream school and USC is typically the favorite with most Mater Dei kids. Jackson recently included Texas in his Top 10 schools and Jay Valai is heating up as a recruiter.

Denver Harris, North Shore

Likely the top in-state cornerback target, Harris is high on the Longhorns and Jay Valai. This will likely be a highly-contested recruitment as Valai will go head to head with programs like Alabama, LSU and Ohio State. It sounds like Texas has always been a favorite for Harris and Texas could make a lot of progress with a strong season on the field.

Bobby Taylor, Katy

Texas was among Taylor’s Top 12, but as of now they don’t sit in the lead position. Texas A&M seems to have a lot of momentum in this race and a strong lead on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. Oklahoma also has a pick in as well, but right now, all signs point to the Aggies on this one.

Austin Jordan, Denton Ryan

Jordan is virtually silent, but Texas sits in a good position for him. The Texas ties at Ryan are strong and the Longhorns are pushing for Jordan along with 2021 commits Billy Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders. Time will tell on this one, but Jordan is playing his cards close to the vest so far.

Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial

Guilbeau is buying into Texas early and he’s forged a strong relationship with Jay Valai. Texas has Guilbeau’s teammate Jordon Thomas in the 2021 class, and the staff already had some strong momentum for Guilbeau before that time. If Texas keeps pushing, the staff should be able to overcome the other contenders in the race.

On the radar: Laterrance Welch, Lafayette (LA) Acadiana, Terrance Brooks, Plano (Texas) John Paul II

SAFETY

Landon Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview

Hullaby mentioned Oklahoma State as another school he has interest in, but it’s hard to count Texas out of his race in any way. Hullaby’s brother Jaden Hullaby signed with the 2020 class and Landon has been to Austin more than any other school.

Zion Branch, Las Vegas (NV) Bishop Gorman

Branch is a big target for Jay Valai, but he won’t be the only top program chasing the talented safety. USC holds the Crystal Ball lead and Alabama, Auburn, Clemson and Florida are also involved. Texas will have to win a heavyweight fight here.

Kamari Wilson, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

Speaking of heavyweight fights, Texas entered the fray for Kamari Wilson, but they are going to have to outlast some other elite programs to land the elite safety. Florida, LSU, Miami and South Carolina are some of the other schools standing out for Wilson at this point.

Cristian Driver, Argyle (Texas) Liberty Christian

Driver is one of the biggest mysteries in the state of Texas. The son of former Green Bay Packer Donald Driver holds offers from nearly every program in the country. Chris Ash has been turning up the heat on him since he arrived, but this one has a long way to go with no clear leader established.

Chace Biddle, Garland

Texas was one of the very first programs to offer the four-star safety and Jay Valai keeps in constant contact with him. Biddle has programs like Oklahoma and Texas A&M on his list, but Texas will take a backseat to nobody at this point in time.

Dasan McCullough, Leawood (KS) Blue Valley North

McCullough is being recruited as a hybrid prospect with versatility to play linebacker. Jay Valai’s connections to McCullough’s dad from their time working for the Chiefs together are paying off big as Texas will likely do battle with Ohio State down the stretch.

• Like 1

The CB group for this class is insane.  Guilbeau and Jordan seem like good bets to be in this class and will probably be top 100 national recruits, but D. Jackson and Harris would have a spot no matter what and maybe the St. Louis kid as well?  Aggy can have Taylor.

Need to keep Omari Ahbor from going to OU and land Cooper.

• Like 1

Horns 247 / Greg Biggins / Texas makes the cut for Top247 DB Domani Jackson

Spoiler

Texas makes the cut for Top247 DB Domani Jackson
GREG BIGGINS

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei junior defensive back Domani Jackson has cut his list of schools down to to 10.

Jackson is one of the top prospects in the 2022 class. He’s currently rated the No. 12 player in the class and will be jumping in to the top 10 when new rankings are updated later this month.

Jackson has an NFL body right now and elite speed. He clocked a 10.78-100m earlier this track season in the schools second meet of the year after not even running track a year ago. With that kind of early time, there’s no telling what he could have run by the end of the season but our guess is he would have run in the 10.5 range while also anchoring the state’s top 4X100m relay squad.

Football is obviously his first love and Jackson has just about every scholarship offer in the country. He cut his list to 10 over the weekend, which included Alabama, Arizona State, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and USC.

Jackson broke down what stands out about Texas and why the Longhorns made the cut.

“I have a really good relationship with coach Jay (Valai),” Jackson said. “We’ve done a couple of zoom calls and he’s a good coach and has shown me a lot. We’ve gone over technique and I can tell he’s someone who knows what they’re talking about.

“I like his energy and I like the tradition at Texas. I’m still learning about the program but I’m definitely interested in them and what they have to offer. I know it’s big time football out there, it’s Texas football so I’m excited to visit and see everything out there close up.”

Jackson said he’s in no hurry to make an early decision.

“I’m going to play this out and have fun with it,” Jackson said. “I’ll eventually cut it down to seven, then five, then three and then I’ll pick a school when the timing is right. I plan to unofficially visit all 10 of those schools and then I’ll decide on my five official visits.

"My birthday is November 27 so that might be a good time to do it my senior year but it’s all up in the air right now. So far I’ve only been to ASU, USC and LSU so I want to see every school and get a feel for them. I’ll play out my junior season and then see where things are at in the summer.

Jackson said he could tinker with his list over the coming year and take a few additional trips as well.

"I might visit a few other schools too," Jackson added. "I like Penn State and South Carolina and may visit there while I’m in the area. They're both strong programs and it was hard to keep them out of my top 10.

"UCLA could slide in there too and I have a good relationship with their DB coach, coach Norwood. It was tough to cut it to 10 but these are the ones I was most comfortable with and where I could see myself at the most.”

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting