Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Clearly Carl, who I trust fully and completely, was just confused and accidentally posted this in 2021. 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:10 PM, hornfromdallas said:

stop worrying about ol recruiting things are cooking behind the scenes 

i cant get into the specific player but im here to tell you before the 995ers do that an ol prospect committed to another school has recently started talking to texas recruits in a group chat :ph34r: i expect super k to report it soon he talks to a kid from the chat often 

Edited by TommyGufano

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I thought aggy just recently offered him?  How did they all of the sudden get "in a good spot" or is this just some Perroni sunshine?

247 shows he was offered June 10.  The thinking was along the lines of - paraphrasing - "the OSU commitment means very little.  He'll flip if we push for it."  I don't remember what the connection is, but there is one.  So not a surprise that he decommitted, and that they are very confident.

Aggie 247 / Brian Perroni / 4-star OL Banks decommits from Ok State, has his eye on others

Spoiler

4-star OL Banks decommits from Ok State, has his eye on others

Brian Perroni

Humble (Texas) Summer Creek class of 2022 offensive tackle Kelvin Banks made an early commitment when he announced for Oklahoma State back in late September. At the time, the 6-foot-4, 285-pound sophomore only held a handful of early offers.

Since then, Banks has found himself ranked No. 126 in the country in the first Top247 for the class and has also seen a number of other big offers come his way. On Sunday, he officially opened his recruitment back up by decommitting from the Cowboys.

"This is something I've been thinking about for a while now," Banks said. "My parents and I have been talking about it. We wanted to make sure I was making the right decision, since I had committed so early. Not just for me as a football player but for me growing as a man.

"I just want to make sure my future will be bright. I have confidence on the field and I think I can have a bright future at any school but I just want to make sure that it's the right school for me and the one I absolutely want to go to. I just want to make sure I want to look at all my options."

The Cowboy staff was aware that Banks had been looking at other programs. In fact, he has already talked to one since decommitting.

"I had already told them a while back that I was still planning to look at other schools," the lineman said. "They knew that and they understood it was a long way until Signing Day.

"I actually had just gotten off the phone with UT right before I announced it on Twitter. We talked for a little bit - I didn't want to take up too much of their time because I know they're busy - but we talked for a little bit. Since I had already talked to the Oklahoma State coaches and decommitted, I went ahead and told UT because he was going to find out soon anyway. He was excited about it and told me he was going to keep recruiting me."

With his recruitment back open, Banks has several schools at which he is looking closely.

"Right now I'm mainly focused on Oregon, USC, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma State, UT, Auburn, Texas Tech, UH and Baylor," he said. "That can change, but those are the main ones. I've already been blessed with a bunch of offers, but if others come, I'm still open."

One thing Banks does not expect to do is make another early pledge.

"No, probably no time soon," he said. "I'd say the earliest I'd make a decision is going into my senior year."

Currently Banks has two Crystal Ball predictions for Oklahoma State that went in prior to his commitment to the Cowboys. He has since added one other in favor of Texas A&M.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Ok pretty standard in-state recruit sunshine pumping then.

Which, given how their in-state recruiting has gone is pretty worthless.

Yeah, and the fact he mentioned in an aggy article he said he just got off the phone with Texas coaches to inform them he was decommitting doesn't scream aggy lean.

Perroni put in a pick for Dewberry a year or so ago right when he was offered so nothing new here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Ok pretty standard in-state recruit sunshine pumping then.

Which, given how their in-state recruiting has gone is pretty worthless.

He was already committed to OK State at that time.  Their typical comments in those situations are along the lines of "we're still in it" or "Jimbo isn't giving up".  Talking about the decommitment being a matter of time, and CBs and flip picks, is way more than the norm.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah, and the fact he mentioned in an aggy article he said he just got off the phone with Texas coaches to inform them he was decommitting doesn't scream aggy lean.

Perroni put in a pick for Dewberry a year or so ago right when he was offered so nothing new here.

🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

If he's good, hope he doesn't commit to them.  Hope we get him.

Just saying there's a certain amount of chatter we hear from Aggy, on every good recruit.  With this guy, it's been more than that.  

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not going to look for it, but there's a video of him at that camp with Hayden Conner and some guy with a man bun doing pass rush drills against Jordon Thomas and others.Banks was the best one in those clips. Just stoning guys. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/top-houston-area-prospects-in-one-on-ones/

As well as ::

• Like 1

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

He did tag Perroni. We'll see how this works out for them.

The good news is that Summer Creek HS has a UT friendly admin and coaching staff (unlike Atascosita as everyone knows). In fact, SCHS has a "house" system named after Universities - the houses are Stanford, Texas Tech, LSU, Prarie View A&M, UT, and Yale. One big state school glaringly absent...

If Banks does go to College Station, it won't be from undue pressure from folks at SCHS to go there.

• Like 2

Mike at Night: Tidbits on 2022 targets

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Tidbits on 2022 targets

MikeRoach

—I spoke with Southlake Carroll quarterback Quinn Ewers today. It sounds like the recruiting process is still going pretty slow for him and he doesn’t feel a need to rush. He remains in contact with several schools, including Texas. While he doesn’t really like to talk about his recruitment much, I asked him which school was on him the hardest right now and he said Ohio State would have to be the answer. As a 2022 prospect, coaches are not supposed to call Ewers directly. At times, there can be lapses in communication if a coach reaches out to the high school. Ohio State was the first school to offer Ewers, and he has family ties to that area. While Oklahoma originally looked to be the school to threaten Texas the most, Ohio State is moving well behind the scenes.

—Nick Harris spoke to Del Valle wide receiver Caleb Burton today. The elite 2022 wide receiver previously had Texas behind a few schools, but Nick got the feeling the Longhorns are moving up. One reason for that is Andre Coleman. The Texas wide receivers coach has been locked in on Burton, and he told Nick that Texas feels like family to him. Oklahoma and Ohio State were two schools that previously stood out for him, but it sounds like Texas is making its way into the top group.

—I spoke briefly with Duncanville standouts Omari Abor and Jaylen Early over the weekend. Texas has been in heavy contact with both since offering. Herb Hand has been working on Jaylen Early, and the four-star offensive lineman said he likes the relationship developing there. Texas has also been pushing for edge rusher Omari Abor. The two-sport star is also a standout basketball player, and he said that Texas spoke with him about playing both sports recently which stood out to him.

—Is there a chance Texas could take a kicker this year? I spoke with Southlake Carroll kicker Joe McFadden earlier today. The All-American Bowl kicker has been talking with Jay Boulware in the last few weeks and Texas is letting him know he's a target for them. McFadden said he feels that Texas will take a kicker this year, which would make sense with Cameron Dicker entering his junior season. It's likely Texas chooses to wait until the fall to make a move at the position.

—Too many times we focus on when Texas was too late on a kid and we don’t laud them for making great early evals. When Texas offered El Paso Burges running back Tavorus Jones a few months ago, many question marks went up. Since that time, he’s collected offers from Alabama, Arizona State, Baylor, Florida, Maryland and Texas A&M. 2022 rankings will get a refresher on Wednesday, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Jones makes his debut. Of course, we will have you covered with tons of content once those rankings drop so check in around lunchtime Wednesday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Getafix said:

—I spoke briefly with Duncanville standouts Omari Abor and Jaylen Early over the weekend. Texas has been in heavy contact with both since offering. Herb Hand has been working on Jaylen Early, and the four-star offensive lineman said he likes the relationship developing there. Texas has also been pushing for edge rusher Omari Abor. The two-sport star is also a standout basketball player, and he said that Texas spoke with him about playing both sports recently which stood out to him.

200.gif

247 / Charles Power / Quinn Ewers is the best junior QB prospect since Trevor Lawrence

Spoiler

Quinn Ewers is the best junior QB prospect since Trevor Lawrence

Charles Power

Wednesday marks another update to the Top247 for the 2022 cycle and – spoiler alert – quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll remains near the top of the ranking. 

Some recruiting fans may encounter a feeling of deja vu upon perusing Ewers’ profile for the first time and find themselves thinking, “wait, another top quarterback with long hair?” The answer is yes. While former No. 1 prospect and current Clemson star Trevor Lawrence has seemed destined for a shampoo endorsement from the jump, Ewers’ bleached blond mullet is like something straight out of the Minnesota State High School All Hockey Hair Team. 

The comparison goes beyond the hair. Ewers, who enters the update as the No. 2 overall rising junior, is the highest-ranked quarterback at this stage since Lawrence was tabbed as the initial No. 1 prospect in the 2018 cycle. We did not see a quarterback prospect ranked within the top five overall prospects this early in the 2019 or 2020 class. 

Like Lawrence, Ewers’ early status as a top prospect is due to projectable physical ability and skills paired with dominant on-field play early in his high school career. Both possessed advanced arm talent, accuracy, and feel for the game as high school underclassmen. 

To say Ewers burst on the scene last fall might be putting it lightly. In 14 games as a sophomore he completed 72.4 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 568 yards and nine more scores. Not bad for his first season as a varsity starting quarterback, while leading the Dragons to a 13-1 record in Texas High School Football’s largest classification. By the time the dust settled, Ewers looked like arguably the top quarterback prospect in the state of Texas, regardless of class. 

It also shouldn't come as a surprise that Ewers has seen his recruitment take off. He currently holds offers from the likes of Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State and about every other top program in the country. The Sooners currently account for both picks in his Crystal Ball. 

To put Ewers’ production in perspective, his sophomore numbers not only edge Lawrences’ at Cartersville (Ga.) (64%, 3,655 yards, 43 TD, 4 INT), but would stack up at or near the top with the best 2019 seasons of any top quarterback in the 2021 cycle, as well. 

Similar to Lawrence’s early high school career, Ewers proved to be on top of his game in big spots as a sophomore. One of his breakout performances came in an early-season showdown against Denton (Texas) Guyer and Texas A&M’s 2021 quarterback commit Eli Stowers. Ewers accounted for 450 total yards and six touchdowns in a 46-34 win. 

Ewers continued to hit his stride in the playoffs, elevating his play in accord with the competition, completing over 70 percent of his passes for 1,419 yards and 17 touchdowns. The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder averaged nearly five total touchdowns per game during Southlake Carroll’s run to the quarterfinals.

How Ewers was doing it makes the feat that much more impressive. Southlake Carroll faced a few nasty defensive fronts from perennial powers like DeSoto and Duncanville. 

Against DeSoto and a defensive line that features Power Five prospects like Shemar Turner and Byron Murphy II, Ewers showed a willingness to stick in the pocket and take hits while delivering strike after strike – like this perfectly placed touchdown pass. 

This continued two weeks later against nationally-ranked Duncanville with Ewers putting on a show against one of the toughest defenses in high school football. With Southlake Carroll down multiple scores, much of the offense was put on the sophomore quarterback’s arm and legs.

Duncanville’s overall talent and the playmaking ability of Texas quarterback signee Ja’Quinden Jackson ultimately proved too much for Southlake Carroll, but Ewers’ showing under duress cemented his status as one of high school football’s most promising young quarterbacks. Southlake Carroll’s 35 points were the most scored against Duncanville all season. 

Ewers made a number of plays against Duncanville that belie his experience. He delivered the first of three touchdown passes by hitting a deep seam off his back foot as a free-running blitzer burst into the backfield. 

If there’s one play that best illustrates the sophomore’s calm under pressure it may be this one from the game’s third quarter. As he dropped back, Ewers was hit with a flying dislodged helmet. Unfazed, he quickly rolled to his left after being flushed from the pocket and delivered a 55-yard bomb into the endzone. 

This is something right out of the Trevor Lawrence playbook. Everyone's probably seen Lawrence make this type of difficult inside-out throw at Clemson on several occasions, but he was also doing this as a sophomore in high school, including in the state title game.

It doesn’t take very long to notice Ewers’ superb timing, pocket feel and ability to layer and locate the football to multiple levels. He shows a live arm and consistently drives the ball into compressed windows. Similar to Lawrence, Ewers also possesses well above average mobility and rushing ability particularly given his passing skills from the pocket. 

Attempting to compare any high school quarterback prospect to Trevor Lawrence is heady stuff. Not only was Lawrence’s body of work as a four-year starter unimpeachable, he was a prodigious arm talent. In going back and rewatching Lawrence’s high school highlights, I’m not sure I can recall a prospect with that kind of quick-twitch ability in both his arm and feet as a 10th grader. 

Quarterback is a developmental position. Forty percent of the current starting signal callers in the NFL did not start at behind center until their junior or senior year of high school. For as good as he was as an underclassman, Trevor Lawrence showed steady improvement all the way through his senior season at Cartersville. 

The majority of Quinn Ewers’ story is yet to be written. He’s sure to see continued attention and high pressure situations while playing for one of Texas’ most tradition-rich high school programs in addition to everything that comes with being a top quarterback recruit. There’s obviously a ways to go to reach Lawrence’s level, but if Ewers’ sophomore season is any indication, he’s off to a fantastic start.

Just now, texifornia said:

Most of the posters on this board have OU in the lead at the moment, fwiw.

Yeah I think Caleb Williams knocks out Oklahoma, and Ohio State is taking top 5 QBs in both 2020 and 2021. It just makes the most sense that it will be Clemson/Texas, unless Clemson has someone else higher on their board which would be asinine. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

From the Mike at Night 2022 Targets thread ... 

image.thumb.png.337505c9769c0e19ccbefb28b84fc760.png

https://247sports.com/player/conner-weigman-46094199/

(Going exclusively by his pic, am very surprised his fierce mien hasn't netted him an offer yet.)

image.thumb.png.101dfb2ef94da27e8b0af9742e188f1e.png

He's a better baseball player, apparently. SS with power. Who is the last to do both at Texas? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah I think Caleb Williams knocks out Oklahoma, and Ohio State is taking top 5 QBs in both 2020 and 2021. It just makes the most sense that it will be Clemson/Texas, unless Clemson has someone else higher on their board which would be asinine. 

Wasn't Jackson and Card #2 and #3 DT QB's?  Milroe will end up being a top 5 QB too.  Staffs will be on Ewers because he looks to be legit, get him to campus and have him go up against the others.. the best will stay and the rest will leave

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Wasn't Jackson and Card #2 and #3 DT QB's?  Milroe will end up being a top 5 QB too.  Staffs will be on Ewers because he looks to be legit, get him to campus and have him go up against the others.. the best will stay and the rest will leave

Those guys are both really good, but neither had the huge national hype Williams has. 

From what @golfclap has been saying, it doesn't sound like Ewers is particularly nervous of Williams, though.

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Then maybe only Clemson makes sense for him? I like the way you think 

7 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Then maybe only Clemson makes sense for him? I like the way you think 

I was just pointing out that even if a team like tosu has multiple top 5 QBs on it's roster doesn't mean they will be going full force on Ewers, and they should.  Same as Texas, who should be aiming for the best QBs in the state every cycle..and have been doing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Those guys are both really good, but neither had the huge national hype Williams has. 

From what @golfclap has been saying, it doesn't sound like Ewers is particularly nervous of Williams, though.

Interesting. I think he should be, because Williams is a stud. Just looking at how it's been going, if you take a top ~3 prospect the year before, you're really putting yourself in a bad spot to repeat another top 3 QB the following year. Caleb loved Clemson before he loved Oklahoma and said DJU being a year ahead of him didn't matter...

Long way to go, and a lot of shit is going to get weird with covid cancelations, but I sure as hell wouldn't follow the #1 QB from the previous class when there are plenty of programs that have shown the ability to develop QBs as well as Riley. 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I was just pointing out that even if a team like tosu has multiple top 5 QBs on it's roster doesn't mean they will be going full force on Ewers, and they should.  Same as Texas, who should be aiming for the best QBs in the state every cycle..and have been doing.

Yeah agreed, and I think it effects Oklahoma more than Ohio State

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Why should he be? If he gets beaten out he can just transfer and get a waiver and start without ever sitting a year like literally everyone else.  

Ewers isn’t going to be swayed by competition anywhere. certainly not from Williams, a 55% passer that shriveled at Elite 11, got visibly frustrated and lost composure, and then performed even worse. Yes, he’s a winner with an intangible quality. He has a big arm/velocity, his comeback in the state championship game was incredible. But accuracy rarely improves dramatically and when competing against the QBs that did go, and many elite guys did not, Williams accorded himself a 55% passer and a middle of the road QB passer in that group. 

Ewers is already the superior QB. 

• Like 1

I would tell Ewers that he would be the only QB take in the class, and he would not have to share snaps with an incoming freshman. QB room is pretty crowded with guys that view themselves as QBs, and rightly so. Not sure how Card, JQJ, or Milroe would take to being "Roshon Johnson".

CHIEF

3 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I would tell Ewers that he would be the only QB take in the class, and he would not have to share snaps with an incoming freshman. QB room is pretty crowded with guys that view themselves as QBs, and rightly so. Not sure how Card, JQJ, or Milroe would take to being "Roshon Johnson".

CHIEF

The great part about a potential QB roster of JQJ, Card, Milroe and Ewers is that these players are all Alpha's..  Jackson, Milroe seem to feed off the negativity that comes with the QB position.. while Card feeds off the small hands slander..  Spring games are going to be much anticipated over the next couple of years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I just want to state, in case I haven’t recently:

Fuck Ohio State.

This.  Tired of them coming in and getting a Texas kid or 2 every year.  Hope they lose a handful of games this year.  Day has already shown to be a whiny bitch when he gets beat.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

as long as there's no legacy's to a thin skinned helicopter dad, allegedly, there won't be fuckups.

Or a Texags posting mom.

I know Dewberry is from an aggy school, but hopefully when Cosmi goes top 10 that'll be an eye catcher for him.

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting