Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

New tape for Eric Hemphill III

http://www.hudl.com/v/2DxcZM

https://247sports.com/Player/Eric-Hemphill-46085607/

Verified sub 50s 400m as a freshman, self reported 4.5 40m. He's probably a safety. Little stiff, little small, but has decent ball skills and is clearly a football player. If he grows, he has a wide enough frame to support 200+. Long speed shows on tape, quickness is suspect.

He's been to campus on a recruiting trip and will likely be a contingency next cycle, though if he grows or shows more tangible twitch, may work his way up the board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

the 2022 DB class is going to be fascinating to watch. all the more if there are still no camps and not as much 7on7 etc ... 

I'd like to see Texas get Jaylon Guilbeau, Landon Hullaby, and Austin Jordan all in the boat (Jordan will be a tall task) ... and then see what comes with the other guys like Biddle, Peoples, Driver, Harris, Allen, Anderson, Hemphill, . It's going to be really hard for those of is that follow recruiting to get a feel if we don't have a few camps so that we can get some numbers. I think there are a few of those big names listed, that would not test as well as advertised. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Despite LSU commitment, Texas in contact with Bryce Anderson

Spoiler

Despite LSU commitment, Texas in contact with Bryce Anderson

MikeRoach

DURANT, Okla. — Bryce Anderson drew a crowd of media at the Underclassmen Report elite camp a few weeks ago. The four-star 2022 prospect from Beaumont (Texas) Westbrook committed to LSU last summer.

Since that time, he’s just been working on getting in shape with some former Beaumont stars.

"I've been training with P.J. Locke, who plays for the Broncos now, but we just started back up with the school two weeks ago," Anderson told 247Sports. "We've been getting it in. Before that, I've been going to the hill, sandpit workouts, field workouts and still lifting weights because the gyms were still open down there.”

Anderson’s recruitment took off this spring despite him being a committed prospect. However, His commitment to the Tigers is firm. Anderson said that his relationship with LSU defensive back coach Corey Raymond is what is making the difference.

"It's going real well. Since the season was over, I had 11 offers coming out of the season and now I have 31 so it's been real well," he said. "I'm still super solid. Me and coach Raymond, we talk probably about twice a week and we're still locked in."

That hasn’t stopped Texas from working on him. Anderson has been in contact with Texas cornerbacks coach Jay Valai, and he likes the energy Valai brings to the table.

“I’ve been talking to the DB coach,” he said. “He’s a very pumped up guy. He’s always pumped up.”

The message from Valai has been simple. He just wants Anderson to remain open and keep listening.

“He’s been telling me to stay in contact with him and keep my doors open and keep listening to him,” Anderson said.

Anderson said that he will most certainly visit Texas again, but it will take something drastic for him to make a switch.

“If coach Raymond leaves,” he said when asked what it would take to open his recruitment.

At 5-foot-11, 187 pounds, Anderson is ranked as the No. 5 safety in the nation and No. 20 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike Roach: Texas among schools standing out early for 2022 DB Austin Jordan

DURANT, Okla. — Austin Jordan stays pretty quiet, but he was all smiles at the Underclassmen Report’s camp in Oklahoma a few weeks ago. The four-star 2022 cornerback from Denton Ryan was able to learn some technique from coaches at the camp and he knows what he needs to work on. “It was fun,” he said. “I’ve still got a lot to learn on breaks and all that but other than that it’s all good.”

It’s still early in his recruitment, but three local schools are standing out when it comes to contact for Jordan. “I’m hearing from Oklahoma, Texas and A&M a lot,” he said. Texas has a pipeline starting at Ryan. Texas holds two commitments from Jordan’s teammates and former Longhorn Alex De La Torre is on staff as a coach. Jordan said he hears about the Longhorns regularly. “I keep in touch with them a lot and I’ve got Billy (Bowman) and Ja’Tavion (Sanders) on my side. They are always in my ear. It’s almost every day talking about going to Texas.”

What is the pitch from Sanders and Bowman? They’ve told Jordan that Austin is the place to be. “It’s a great place to be,” he said. “State on your chest, family on your back.” Jay Valai has been Jordan’s primary recruiter. Jordan said he’s enjoying getting to know Valai and he enjoys his personality and youth. “I like his personality,” Jordan said. “He’s energetic. It’s cool because his personality is still young, and he knows a lot of things.”

Jordan is still making his way through the recruiting process, but he’s figuring out what he wants in a school. It seems that his relationship with the coaching staff and the town surrounding whatever school he picks will be a big factor. “Coaching staff and surroundings,” he said. “Just how I like it and all of that.” Texas was one of the first schools to offer Jordan this spring and he said that he will always keep those who believed in him early in the back of his mind. “Early offers mean they saw potential in me, so I keep that in the back of my head,” Jordan said.

Jordan is still narrowing down a timeline for commitment. The lack of visits this spring due to COVID-19 hurt his ability to gather more information, but he feels he could commit next spring if he gets to take some visits. “I want to say after junior year,” Jordan said. “This spring I didn’t get to take no visits because of corona.” At 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, Jordan is ranked as the No. 9 cornerback in the nation and No. 17 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach Commitment analysis...he actually knew this was coming

Phaizon Wilson knew last night that he was ready to make a decision. The four-star wide receiver out of Lancaster (Texas) took a few trips before the COVID-19 shutdown, and he was talking with several staffs during that time. Though he took many virtual visits, his February trip to Austin left a lasting impression on him and the relationship he’d built with the Texas staff sealed the deal.

“It’s one of the realest coaching staffs I’ve ever talked to,” Wilson said. “They’re relatable to my high school coaches and act like them. That put them at the top to start off with. Today, I just talked to my mom and we decided that Texas felt at home to me. I trust them and my trust in them can get me to where I want to go.”

Andre Coleman is a huge reason why Wilson was comfortable making his decision. The Texas wide receivers coach has a reputation for being genuine and direct, but Wilson said he’s very easy to talk with.

“He’s my man,” he said. “That’s my dude right there. I can’t say he’s my friend or nothing like that, but me and him are cool. We can talk about anything. We talk about life, football, school. I feel like he can develop me to where I need to be.”

Wilson’s plays with Team Grind, a Dallas-based 7v7 club. One of his teammates is Texas target Ketron Jackson. Wilson said now that he’s a commit, he wants to help get his friend to Texas.

“I’m trying to get him there,” he said. “Tron is a quiet dude. We talk here and there. I don’t know what his decision is going to be but I’m working on it.”

Wilson is now the first commit in the 2022 class. He knows the distinction is big and now he’s looking forward to putting recruiting behind him.

“That’s big,” he said. “I’m just trying to get in cool with the coaches and get my spot.”

At 6-foot-4, 200 pounds, Wilson is ranked as the No. 31 wide receiver in the nation and No. 33 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

I have to be honest, I had kind of written Wilson off as an Alabama commit. He fits what they do and they have been after him hard for a 2022 guy and he loves Alabama, so this is a pretty big fucking win for Coleman or Yurcich or Carrington or whoever. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I have to be honest, I had kind of written Wilson off as an Alabama commit. He fits what they do and they have been after him hard for a 2022 guy and he loves Alabama, so this is a pretty big fucking win for Coleman or Yurcich or Carrington or whoever. 

Yep. He just looks like a bama wr.  But I’ll take it!!

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Fong says we’re at the top for Armani Winfield and five star Evan Stewart.    Wide receivers

"Hey guys, our '21 class is Jaden Alexis and some dudes whose best offers were TCU and Vanderbilt. How soon would you like your playing time?"

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Hey guys, our '21 class is Jaden Alexis and some dudes whose best offers were TCU and Vanderbilt. How soon would you like your playing time?"

Ah yes, the OU to Bryson Washington pitch:  "We suck so bad you can start immediately."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The news on Winfield is a surprise.  Everything I've seen mentioned with him is OU.  Stewart would be a great get with that speed.

Also, this is from the TFB Open Post today on Burton:

First Glance | 2022 WR Caleb Burton
– Charlie S

I recently caught up with 2022 wide receiver Caleb Burton (6’0″ 165) out of Del Valle, TX.

Burton is an elite receiver prospect and he already holds offers from basically all of the power programs across the country. He is the definition of a national recruit.

The Longhorns are already heavily involved with Burton and they extended an offer to him one year ago in July of 2019.

As the conversation began, I wanted to get a sense of his decision-making process and a timeline for a commitment. Burton told me. “I’m still taking it slow. I don’t plan on dropping a top 12 until maybe the middle of my Junior football season and I don’t plan on committing until right before my senior football season”.

His process has obviously been interrupted with the pandemic and that has affected the programs he has been able to see to this point. Caleb said, “I’ve only been able to get on campus at Texas and OU. I had a west coast planned to go see USC, Stanford, and Cal but Corona just took that away”.

As mentioned above, Texas didn’t drag their feet in this one as they offered the elite in-state prospect very early in his process.

When we spoke about Texas, the first thing I was interested in finding out more about was his level of communication with the staff. Caleb said, “I talk to Coach Coleman and Coach Herman often.”

Caleb was very enthusiastic about Coach Coleman, which is a great sign for Texas. Burton said, “I began talking with coach Coleman once he got the job. I went to junior day and got to sit in the meeting room with him. I like what he teaches. He focuses on technique and I’m excited to see what he’s going to do this year with the wide receivers he has”.

While that is a pretty basic quote and not surprising to hear, I was really intrigued by the enthusiasm and tone of his voice as he spoke about Coleman. That’s a great sign for Texas, not only in respect to Burton, but other targets as well.

When it came time to talk about Texas on the field, Caleb said, “They did a pretty good job throwing the ball last year. They made a whole bunch of staff changes and I’m just looking forward to seeing what they do under the new staff and how Coach Mike runs the offense and Coach Coleman works with the receivers”.

Finally, we touched on the topic of peer to peer recruiting. We spoke about what is going on across the country with the 2021 class and how aggressively they are peer recruiting each other and I asked him if there was much of that going on in his class at this point. Caleb said,  “We (the recruits in his class) haven’t really gotten into that yet. We just talk about what schools stand out to us when we talk. I haven’t had anyone really try to peer recruit me from any school besides Ohio State”.

There is a long way to go in this recruitment but I feel confident in saying Texas will remain heavily involved throughout the entire process and they have as good of a chance of landing Burton as anyone else in the country at this point. I do think he is open to leaving the region and Ohio State was brought up repeatedly so it seems like they are high on the list at this time as well.

Needless to say, Burton is a guy you are going to be hearing a lot about over the course of the next 18 months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Has anyone confirmed if Coleman just simply forgot about 21? 

Like many said outside Earle, Davis and I guess Jackson.. it's not a real big year for WRs.. seems like 22 is stacked tho.. Nice to have one committed this early and us being near the top for two more bluechips.

Malick Sylla seems like a good athlete but he is not a 5* player yet and shouldn't be rated that way. His athleticism is nice at 6'6" and he's worthy of being a 4*  ... 

Here he is getting stonewalled by Banks again ::

compare him to Jordon Thomas to get some idea :: 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, golfclap said:

Malick Sylla seems like a good athlete but he is not a 5* player yet and shouldn't be rated that way. His athleticism is nice at 6'6" and he's worthy of being a 4*  ... 

Here he is getting stonewalled by Banks again ::

compare him to Jordon Thomas to get some idea :: 

Completely agree. That said, Jordon Thomas is such a try hard guy that he'll rarely look bad in these kinds of drills. Sylla has never excited me but for his frame. His technique should be much further along. Idk what his position history is like, but I don't think he wants his hand in the dirt. Lacks DL fortitude. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting