Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Our skill position talent is finally at the level of the CFP contenders.  They are young but the elite athleticism is there.  Our OL is also night and day.  We have room to improve but how many teams can say they have 3 current and future nfl guys starting (Cosmi, Angilau, Kerstetter).  Add In a loaded RB room.  Now we simply need someone to distribute the ball and rack up the stats.

We've had talent before and it was wasted because of poor scheme and play calling. I think Yurcich might be the best OC Texas has had since Ballard installed the wishbone.

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Who cares? All that matters is where Looch ranks him.

NUMBA ONE!

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44/2022

hilariously, he has Devon Campbell is #8 in TX and is something like #6 overall in the country in the composite

editing to add in Looch 44 top 11 (just because the #11 fit on the screen when i zoomed out) as of 8/14

IFiyr7O3

other funny things:

Harold Perkins is the #28 composite player in the state, #16 OLB and #201 overall.

The current #5 composite player in the State is Denver Harris who is #26 overall in the country.

Edited by NoName

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

NUMBA ONE!

https://texags.com/football-recruiting/liucci-44/2022

hilariously, he has Devon Campbell is #8 in TX and is something like #6 overall in the country in the composite

editing to add in Looch 44 top 11 (just because the #11 fit on the screen when i zoomed out) as of 8/14

IFiyr7O3

other funny things:

Harold Perkins is the #28 composite player in the state, #16 OLB and #201 overall.

The current #5 composite player in the State is Denver Harris who is #26 overall in the country.

We're in really good shape for at least 5 of those dudes. 7 if you count Bear Alexander and Dewberry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

They are positive we are getting Campbell and they are getting Dewberry. Those rankings reflect that. 

Yeah. They're positive. We'll see what happens if we sign Ewers, and stick cosmi in the draft. Meanwhile, the point is 5 out of the top 10 or 7 our of the top 11 would be damning no matter what. I mean, we know he'd re-rank to prevent this, but you get the point. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
GODDAMNIT

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. They're positive. We'll see what happens if we sign Ewers, and stick cosby in the draft. Meanwhile, the point is 5 out of the top 10 or 7 our of the top 11 would be damning no matter what. I mean, we know he'd re-rank to prevent this, but you get the point. 

bill cosby wiener GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. They're positive. We'll see what happens if we sign Ewers, and stick cosby in the draft. Meanwhile, the point is 5 out of the top 10 or 7 our of the top 11 would be damning no matter what. I mean, we know he'd re-rank to prevent this, but you get the point. 

originally i wanted to use a different GIF but when i saw this one...

art briles cosby GIF by FirstAndMonday

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Dont do this to me. Just when I thought I had escaped this abusive relationship. Just when I was feeling healthy again in a stable albeit less sexually pleasing relationship with the PGA, I get a semi nude text pic from Texas football that says "Hey."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

*ahem* alright been avoiding this question because I thought we had no shot but it is a kool-aid filled friday apparently, how fucking good is Ewers and are the Lawrence comparisons warranted?

Quinn Ewers is the best junior QB prospect since Trevor Lawrence

Spoiler

Quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll has risen to the No. 1 spot in the class of 2022's updated Top247 rankings. 

Some recruiting fans may encounter a feeling of deja vu upon perusing Ewers’ profile for the first time and find themselves thinking, “wait, another top quarterback with long hair?” The answer is yes. While former No. 1 prospect and current Clemson star Trevor Lawrence has seemed destined for a shampoo endorsement from the jump, Ewers’ bleached blond mullet is like something straight out of the Minnesota State High School All Hockey Hair Team. 

The comparison goes beyond the hair. Ewers is the highest-ranked quarterback at this stage since Lawrence was tabbed as the initial No. 1 prospect in the 2018 cycle. We did not see a quarterback prospect ranked within the top five overall prospects this early in the 2019 or 2020 class. 

Like Lawrence, Ewers’ early status as a top prospect is due to projectable physical ability and skills paired with dominant on-field play early in his high school career. Both possessed advanced arm talent, accuracy, and feel for the game as high school underclassmen. 

To say Ewers burst on the scene last fall might be putting it lightly. In 14 games as a sophomore he completed 72.4 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 568 yards and nine more scores. Not bad for his first season as a varsity starting quarterback, while leading the Dragons to a 13-1 record in Texas High School Football’s largest classification. By the time the dust settled, Ewers looked like arguably the top quarterback prospect in the state of Texas, regardless of class. 

It also shouldn't come as a surprise that Ewers has seen his recruitment take off. He currently holds offers from the likes of Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State and about every other top program in the country. The Sooners currently account for both picks in his Crystal Ball. 

To put Ewers’ production in perspective, his sophomore numbers not only edge Lawrences’ at Cartersville (Ga.) (64%, 3,655 yards, 43 TD, 4 INT), but would stack up at or near the top with the best 2019 seasons of any top quarterback in the 2021 cycle, as well. 

Similar to Lawrence’s early high school career, Ewers proved to be on top of his game in big spots as a sophomore. One of his breakout performances came in an early-season showdown against Denton (Texas) Guyer and Texas A&M’s 2021 quarterback commit Eli Stowers. Ewers accounted for 450 total yards and six touchdowns in a 46-34 win. 

Ewers continued to hit his stride in the playoffs, elevating his play in accord with the competition, completing over 70 percent of his passes for 1,419 yards and 17 touchdowns. The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder averaged nearly five total touchdowns per game during Southlake Carroll’s run to the quarterfinals.

How Ewers was doing it makes the feat that much more impressive. Southlake Carroll faced a few nasty defensive fronts from perennial powers like DeSoto and Duncanville. 

Against DeSoto and a defensive line that features Power Five prospects like Shemar Turner and Byron Murphy II, Ewers showed a willingness to stick in the pocket and take hits while delivering strike after strike – like this perfectly placed touchdown pass. 

This continued two weeks later against nationally-ranked Duncanville with Ewers putting on a show against one of the toughest defenses in high school football. With Southlake Carroll down multiple scores, much of the offense was put on the sophomore quarterback’s arm and legs.

Duncanville’s overall talent and the playmaking ability of Texas quarterback signee Ja’Quinden Jackson ultimately proved too much for Southlake Carroll, but Ewers’ showing under duress cemented his status as one of high school football’s most promising young quarterbacks. Southlake Carroll’s 35 points were the most scored against Duncanville all season. 

Ewers made a number of plays against Duncanville that belie his experience. He delivered the first of three touchdown passes by hitting a deep seam off his back foot as a free-running blitzer burst into the backfield. 

https://giphy.com/gifs/ieJohPtNwexZB6KDOz

If there’s one play that best illustrates the sophomore’s calm under pressure it may be this one from the game’s third quarter. As he dropped back, Ewers was hit with a flying dislodged helmet. Unfazed, he quickly rolled to his left after being flushed from the pocket and delivered a 55-yard bomb into the endzone. 

https://giphy.com/gifs/gIBrz6ekUi8mpWu7AH

This is something right out of the Trevor Lawrence playbook. Everyone's probably seen Lawrence make this type of difficult inside-out throw at Clemson on several occasions, but he was also doing this as a sophomore in high school, including in the state title game.

It doesn’t take very long to notice Ewers’ superb timing, pocket feel and ability to layer and locate the football to multiple levels. He shows a live arm and consistently drives the ball into compressed windows. Similar to Lawrence, Ewers also possesses well above average mobility and rushing ability particularly given his passing skills from the pocket. 

Attempting to compare any high school quarterback prospect to Trevor Lawrence is heady stuff. Not only was Lawrence’s body of work as a four-year starter unimpeachable, he was a prodigious arm talent. In going back and rewatching Lawrence’s high school highlights, I’m not sure I can recall a prospect with that kind of quick-twitch ability in both his arm and feet as a 10th grader. 

73COMMENTS

Quarterback is a developmental position. Forty percent of the current starting signal callers in the NFL did not start at behind center until their junior or senior year of high school. For as good as he was as an underclassman, Trevor Lawrence showed steady improvement all the way through his senior season at Cartersville. 

The majority of Quinn Ewers’ story is yet to be written. He’s sure to see continued attention and high pressure situations while playing for one of Texas’ most tradition-rich high school programs in addition to everything that comes with being a top quarterback recruit. There’s obviously a ways to go to reach Lawrence’s level, but if Ewers’ sophomore season is any indication, he’s off to a fantastic start.

Edited by NoName

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Are we even sure we want Ewers? Ketchum says he’s only the 11th best prospect in the state

hahaha holy shit. Does he seriously have him that low?  Ewers is one of the easiest QB evals in a long time. I never questioned that he's completely clueless, but it's always nice of him to remove all doubt sometimes. 

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Speaking of Texags and Looch, now seems like a fun time to bring up that bit not to long ago where they said not to count out Jimbo for Ewers.

To be fair, Ewers plays football in Texas, so how's Jimbo supposed to even find out about him?  If Ewers were currently dominating the New Jersey prep scene, you bet your ass Jimbo would be making Power. Moves. in that recruitment. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

Hide contents

In 14 games as a sophomore he completed 72.4 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 568 yards and nine more scores.

Oh

giphy.gif

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

n 14 games as a sophomore he completed 72.4 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards, 45 touchdowns and three interceptions while rushing for 568 yards and nine more scores. Not bad for his first season as a varsity starting quarterback, while leading the Dragons to a 13-1 record in Texas High School Football’s largest classification.

Nick Swardson Being Sarcastic About His High Score In Grandma's Boy

18 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

*ahem* alright been avoiding this question because I thought we had no shot but it is a kool-aid filled friday apparently, how fucking good is Ewers and are the Lawrence comparisons warranted?

It's afternoon and we settled a huge case yesterday, so I've had a pretty steady flow of alcohol going for awhile now.  This take might turn out poorly in retrospect, but at this point in their HS careers, Ewers>Lawrence.   Ewers sophomore film is some of the best I've ever seen, and has incredible stats to match 72.4% 45-3 TD:INT. He has every skill you'd want in a QB, massive arm, pocket presence, great size, very good runner. Re his running, I haven't seen testing numbers from him, but he has a good amount of highlights where he's pulling away from legitimate 6A defenses. I'd be surprised if he runs worse than a 4.6.  People throw this term around a lot, but he really is a generational talent. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's afternoon and we settled a huge case yesterday, so I've had a pretty steady flow of alcohol going for awhile now.  This take might turn out poorly in retrospect, but at this point in their HS careers, Ewers>Lawrence.   Ewers sophomore film is some of the best I've ever seen, and has incredible stats to match 72.4% 45-3 TD:INT. He has every skill you'd want in a QB, massive arm, pocket presence, great size, very good runner.  People throw this term around a lot, but he really is a generational talent. 

Hey man, no need to justify drinking before noon on a Friday around here. This is a safe space.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

And you don't have to take my word for it. Here's his Hudl and some Youtube videos on him. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11408015/5d880b0dda516a0ea8066bcb

Here's some highlights of him as a sophomore going up against some of the best defenses in the state:

9 minutes of highlights against Duncanville:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11408015/5e15f9147bd37e0d60fc80fb

DeSoto:

Guyer:

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting