Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

TFB writeup

Go crazy folks!

Texas has landed a commitment from the nation’s No. 1 overall 2022 recruit Southlake Carroll QB Quinn Ewers.

The 6-feet-3-inch prospect is ranked No. 1 overall by all three major recruiting services and has earned a 1.000 composite rating which has only been accomplished five times since 2000. The 1.000 club includes Jadeveon Clowney, Robert Nkemdiche, Rashan Gary, Ernie Sims and most notable to Texas fans, Vince Young.

Ewers is the highest rated recruit to commit to Texas since the aforementioned National Champion quarterback, and the second commit in the 2022 class.

Speaking of the 2022 class, Ewers joins Lancaster WR Phaizon Wilson as an incredible start to the class, especially in the loaded DFW area. It goes without saying but getting your playcaller to commit early in the cycle is huge for the rest of the class and Ewers will act as the leader of the class moving forward.

What a start to the 2022 class for Tom Herman and the Texas Longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wiltfong write up

Spoiler

QB Quinn Ewers, nation's No. 1 recruit in 2022, commits to Texas

BySTEVE WILTFONG 9 minutes ago
  •  
  •  
  •  

Five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 overall recruit in the class of 2022, announced his commitment to Texas on Friday, giving the Longhorns perhaps their biggest recruiting win since Vince Young signed nearly 20 years ago.

A prolific passer at Southlake (Texas) Carroll, Ewers seriously considered Oklahoma and Ohio State, who were each considered leaders at various times. But Tom Herman and offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich prevailed, silencing concerns about Texas’ ability to keep elite players in-state. If Ewers finishes as the No. 1 player in his class, he will be Texas’ second-ever No. 1 overall signee in the 247Sports Composite (Young) and its first five-star QB since 2009.

Considering how highly we think of Ewers — with 247Sports national analyst Charles Power calling him the best QB prospect at this stage of his development since Trevor Lawrence — there’s a pretty good chance that happens.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Lone Star State gunslinger had a magical sophomore season, completing over 72 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards and 45 touchdowns to just three interceptions. He rumbled his way to 568 more yards and nine scores, directing the Dragons to a 13-1 campaign that ended in the state quarterfinals loss to a loaded Duncanville team, where Ewers went off for 393 yards and three touchdowns in the 49-35 defeat.

“I just love how even-keeled he is,” Southlake Carroll head coach Riley Dodge told 247Sports. “That’s probably the most impressive thing when I talk to college coaches about Quinn. God gave him a lot of attributes but his best attribute is he lets the game come to him. He doesn’t panic. He’s the same guy whether he throws a five-yard completion or an interception. He takes what the defense gives him, moves on to the next throw and I think it’s pretty special as a young quarterback.”

Dodge talked about Ewers being “special” outside the pocket and highlighted the “unscheduled plays” he made for them over the course of 14 games. During the fall, Ewers spends more time with Dodge than he does with his family, getting to Southlake Carroll before school for football-related activities and then staying late after practice.

“We have a pretty special relationship,” Dodge said. “It was cool I got to get in here on the front end of his career and we built a really good relationship based on football and then off the field, and obviously the sky’s the limit for him and whatever he wants to do.”

Like most Southlake Carroll quarterbacks, Ewers had to wait his turn. He backed up Will Bowers, who is now playing for Hugh Freeze at Liberty, with his first varsity game experience actually coming in the state playoffs freshman year as the team’s punter.

When it was finally Ewers’ turn, he exploded on the scene. As was evident against Duncanville, there was never a moment too big for him.

“All my teammates were saying it may seem fast at first but it will slow down, but I never felt that speed where it was too fast,” Ewers said. “Coach Dodge was huge in that. Him having that confidence in me to hear me out there and believe in me puts more confidence in myself and it worked out.”

“I think his season was comparable to the top performances any young one has had in Texas history,” said Dodge, who won a state title as Southlake’s QB in 2006. “If you look at the way our season went this past year he probably only played four full games all year. He’s very, very special.”

At this stage in his development, Power says Ewers may even be slightly ahead of Lawrence, who topped the rankings in the Top247’s 2018 class.

“Like Lawrence, Ewers’ early status as a top prospect is due to projectable physical ability and skills paired with dominant on-field play early in his high school career,” Power wrote. “Both possessed advanced arm talent, accuracy, and feel for the game as high school underclassmen.

“To put Ewers’ production in perspective, his sophomore numbers not only edge Lawrence’s’ at Cartersville (Ga.) (64%, 3,655 yards, 43 TD, 4 INT), but would stack up at or near the top with the best 2019 seasons of any top quarterback in the 2021 cycle as well.

Similar to Lawrence’s early high school career, Ewers proved to be on top of his game in big spots as a sophomore. One of his breakout performances came in an early-season showdown against Denton (Texas) Guyer and Texas A&M’s 2021 quarterback commit Eli Stowers. Ewers accounted for 450 total yards and six touchdowns in a 46-34 win.”

1COMMENTS

Ewers is the second commitment for the Longhorns in the 2022 class joining Top247 receiver Phaizon Wilson.

“He’s both a safe bet and a high ceiling and to take a quarterback that’s that much of a lock at this stage in the process can be such a boost for recruiting so to me this is as important a recruit for what it means off the field as what it means on the field,” 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons said.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach writing this during a birthday party...impressive

Spoiler

In one of the biggest recruiting stories of the last decade, the Longhorns landed a massive win today with the commitment of Quinn Ewers. The five-star quarterback from Southlake Carroll was a massive priority for Tom Herman and his offensive staff.

Ewers rose to elite status after a phenomenal sophomore season at Carroll. In his first year as a starter, Ewers accounted for 4,003 yards, 45 touchdowns and 3 interceptions on 72% completion through the air with another 568 yards rushing and 9 touchdowns on the ground.

So how did Texas land the number one player in the country? The story involves hard work and a little bit of luck.

Ewers was offered by Tim Beck when the former Texas offensive coordinator was in his role, and he became a major priority for Mike Yurcich once he took the job in Austin. From the moment he was announced as Beck’s successor, Yurcich went to work on the coveted passer.

Ewers admittedly grew up a Texas fan, buzz over the last six months indicated that the childhood favorite wouldn’t be enough on its own merit. While Beck was great at building relationships and being a charismatic recruiter, Yurcich’s approach was a bit different.

Yurcich’s intensity and focus on the schematic pitch rang true with Ewers. After successful runs at Ohio State and Oklahoma State, Yurcich had bona fide success stories to sell. At times in this recruitment, Oklahoma and Ohio State surged a bit but Texas always remained the constant.

Yurcich’s focus on illustrating how Ewers could succeed offensively was complimented by an assist from Sam Ehlinger. Sources tell Horns247 that Ehlinger clicked quickly with the new Texas offensive coordinator, and he’s been vocal about endorsing Yurcich to anyone who will listen.

I was told that Texas really poured it on recently keeping Ewers updated on the way offensive install has been going thus far in camp. Combine that with Ewers’ childhood love for the Longhorns, and Texas was always going to be tough to beat.

In the last few months, Ewers began to tire of the recruiting process. As a somewhat private kid not into the hype of recruiting and social media, he decided to make his move official. Kudos to Tom Herman, Mike Yurcich and the rest of the Texas staff who landed the top player in the nation without yet putting their new product on the field.

Gabe Brooks analysis (Shocker: hes good)

Spoiler

Quinn Ewers, 2022 QB, Southlake (Texas) Carroll

Recruiting: Ewers made a surprise commitment Friday to Texas, which has been considered one of the top contenders for Ewers, along with Oklahoma. Ohio State, Alabama, and Auburn have also been early standouts for the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex blue chip.

Rankings: The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Ewers as a five-star prospect ranked No. 1 overall in the country's 2022 recruiting class. He is the No. 1 overall recruit on the Top247 rankings as well.

Stats: As a sophomore in 2019, Ewers threw for 4,003 yards, 45 touchdowns, and only three interceptions, while rushing for 568 yards and nine TD's as he led perennial power Southlake Carroll to a 13-1 record and Texas Class 6A Division I state quarterfinal appearance.

Evaluation notes: Simply put, Quinn Ewers is one of the best young quarterback prospects in recent memory. He checks off virtually all the boxes -- frame, arm strength, mobility, playmaking ability, big-game moxie, and more.

In the 6-foot-3, 195-pound neighborhood, Ewers owns college-ready height with the frame to put on 20-30 pounds, which will only increase his vertical arm strength and short-to-intermediate velocity, both of which are already impressive.

Ewers combines those physical tools with a feel for the game and playmaking awareness that really make him special. He is dangerous in the increasingly important off-schedule, off-platform department, consistently showing throw-on-the-run ability that leads to big plays for his offense. His ability to change arm angles and still deliver accurate, on-time throws is included in his playmaking arsenal.

Ewers excels in the red zone. He shows hard-to-match accuracy and touch on timing routes, and those same qualities extend to his throws in the vertical game, especially outside the numbers. His above-average velocity helps him hurt defenses over the middle as his smooth, seemingly effortless delivery makes his velocity deceptive in its efficacy.

Additionally, Ewers is athletic enough to make plays with his legs, whether scrambling or on the occasional designed run. He's a long-strider with good functional top-end speed when he gets in the open field, but enough close-quarters fluidity to not become an easy target in the short area. He also does not take chances as a runner and understands the importance of limiting the shots he receives.

Having said that, Ewers will stand and deliver in the pocket. He possesses a terrific feel for pressure and an awareness that allows him to get rid of the ball before the defense gets to him. He will bite down and swallow hard and take a big shot if he must, and still deliver a strike with pressure in his face.

If there's anything to nitpick, perhaps it's quickening his delivery. He shows a bit of a windup at times, but again, that's being pretty picky. The monster production as a sophomore -- including a sterling 72.4 completion percentage -- against elite high school competition reflect his abilities.

Landing Ewers is a seismic win for Texas, the type of commitment that can send shockwaves throughout the 2022 class and affect the recruitments of other offensive targets. Ewers is the No. 1 player in the country for a reason, and we look forward to what he has in store in his junior campaign.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh fuck yeah. In theory I have a couple more hours of work but fuck it, time pour a drink and watch highlight videos.  

Just look at this shit, play is just silly. Random helmet flies off and hits him, rolls to the left and flicks a dime 55 yards. That's a high school sophomore against the best defense in the state. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2

I think it was Burt who said this earlier today ... 

********************************************************************************************************

At this stage in his development, Power says Ewers may even be slightly ahead of Lawrence, who topped the rankings in the Top247’s 2018 class.

“Like Lawrence, Ewers’ early status as a top prospect is due to projectable physical ability and skills paired with dominant on-field play early in his high school career,” Power wrote. “Both possessed advanced arm talent, accuracy, and feel for the game as high school underclassmen.

Steve Wiltfong: QB Quinn Ewers, nation's No. 1 recruit in 2022, commits to Texas

Five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 overall recruit in the class of 2022, announced his commitment to Texas on Friday, giving the Longhorns perhaps their biggest recruiting win since Vince Young signed nearly 20 years ago.

A prolific passer at Southlake (Texas) Carroll, Ewers seriously considered Oklahoma and Ohio State, who were each considered leaders at various times. But Tom Herman and offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich prevailed, silencing concerns about Texas’ ability to keep elite players in-state. If Ewers finishes as the No. 1 player in his class, he will be Texas’ second-ever No. 1 overall signee in the 247Sports Composite (Young) and its first five-star QB since 2009.

Considering how highly we think of Ewers — with 247Sports national analyst Charles Power calling him the best QB prospect at this stage of his development since Trevor Lawrence — there’s a pretty good chance that happens.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Lone Star State gunslinger had a magical sophomore season, completing over 72 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards and 45 touchdowns to just three interceptions. He rumbled his way to 568 more yards and nine scores, directing the Dragons to a 13-1 campaign that ended in the state quarterfinals loss to a loaded Duncanville team, where Ewers went off for 393 yards and three touchdowns in the 49-35 defeat.

“I just love how even-keeled he is,” Southlake Carroll head coach Riley Dodge told 247Sports. “That’s probably the most impressive thing when I talk to college coaches about Quinn. God gave him a lot of attributes but his best attribute is he lets the game come to him. He doesn’t panic. He’s the same guy whether he throws a five-yard completion or an interception. He takes what the defense gives him, moves on to the next throw and I think it’s pretty special as a young quarterback.”

Dodge talked about Ewers being “special” outside the pocket and highlighted the “unscheduled plays” he made for them over the course of 14 games. During the fall, Ewers spends more time with Dodge than he does with his family, getting to Southlake Carroll before school for football-related activities and then staying late after practice.

“We have a pretty special relationship,” Dodge said. “It was cool I got to get in here on the front end of his career and we built a really good relationship based on football and then off the field, and obviously the sky’s the limit for him and whatever he wants to do.”

Like most Southlake Carroll quarterbacks, Ewers had to wait his turn. He backed up Will Bowers, who is now playing for Hugh Freeze at Liberty, with his first varsity game experience actually coming in the state playoffs freshman year as the team’s punter.

When it was finally Ewers’ turn, he exploded on the scene. As was evident against Duncanville, there was never a moment too big for him. “All my teammates were saying it may seem fast at first but it will slow down, but I never felt that speed where it was too fast,” Ewers said. “Coach Dodge was huge in that. Him having that confidence in me to hear me out there and believe in me puts more confidence in myself and it worked out.”

“I think his season was comparable to the top performances any young one has had in Texas history,” said Dodge, who won a state title as Southlake’s QB in 2006. “If you look at the way our season went this past year he probably only played four full games all year. He’s very, very special.”

At this stage in his development, Power says Ewers may even be slightly ahead of Lawrence, who topped the rankings in the Top247’s 2018 class. “Like Lawrence, Ewers’ early status as a top prospect is due to projectable physical ability and skills paired with dominant on-field play early in his high school career,” Power wrote. “Both possessed advanced arm talent, accuracy, and feel for the game as high school underclassmen.

“To put Ewers’ production in perspective, his sophomore numbers not only edge Lawrence’s’ at Cartersville (Ga.) (64%, 3,655 yards, 43 TD, 4 INT), but would stack up at or near the top with the best 2019 seasons of any top quarterback in the 2021 cycle as well.

Similar to Lawrence’s early high school career, Ewers proved to be on top of his game in big spots as a sophomore. One of his breakout performances came in an early-season showdown against Denton (Texas) Guyer and Texas A&M’s 2021 quarterback commit Eli Stowers. Ewers accounted for 450 total yards and six touchdowns in a 46-34 win.”

Ewers is the second commitment for the Longhorns in the 2022 class joining Top247 receiver Phaizon Wilson. “He’s both a safe bet and a high ceiling and to take a quarterback that’s that much of a lock at this stage in the process can be such a boost for recruiting so to me this is as important a recruit for what it means off the field as what it means on the field,” 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons said.

the Sooner mods across the board are starting to leverage the "Caleb Williams" factor in the discussion. That's going to be the OU talking point and it's utter bullshit. Ewers is a better QB than Williams be a LARGE distance and would have zero problems shoving his ass out of the way to take that starting job. 

This is not a new take based on today's events. Even when I thought Ewers was OU bound ... 

July 14

Ewers isn’t going to be swayed by competition anywhere. certainly not from Williams, a 55% passer that shriveled at Elite 11, got visibly frustrated and lost composure, and then performed even worse. Yes, he’s a winner with an intangible quality. He has a big arm/velocity, his comeback in the state championship game was incredible. But accuracy rarely improves dramatically and when competing against the QBs that did go, and many elite guys did not, Williams accorded himself a 55% passer and a middle of the road QB passer in that group. 

Ewers is already the superior QB. 

July 15 

It's going to be interesting when other coaches point out, some of them very sweaty, that Ewers is an early enrollee will only be 6 months behind Caleb Williams, who cannot graduate from his HS early. Ewers who is coming from a much higher level of competition, etc ... and will need far less time to acclimate to the system, the location, the level of competition, and the teammates. 

I read that William's mother is going to move to Norman to be there with her son, while the father stays in DC. I'd maybe hold off on that one if I were them. Riley is selling 2 years to Rattler, to Williams, and to Ewers but there's little doubt in my mind that Ewers would pass Williams on the depth chart almost immediately. People have been asking if Williams commitment would keep Ewers away, the bigger question for Sooners should be, if OU and Ewers heat up will it cause Williams to back out go to Maryland. 

Also, if there's a 2020 season Texas is going to fuckstomp OU and Ewers will commit to Herman while his mother throws a horns down. 

We are going to give OU some severe unsmooth buttfuckings.

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

the Sooner mods across the board are starting to leverage the "Caleb Williams" factor in the discussion. That's going to be the OU talking point and it's utter bullshit. Ewers is a better QB than Williams be a LARGE distance and would have zero problems shoving his ass out of the way to take that starting job. 

This is not a new take based on today's events. Even when I thought Ewers was OU bound ... 

July 14

July 15 

We are going to give OU some severe unsmooth buttfuckings.

Reading that last line and I’m not tracking. His mother throws the horns down is ewers mother not aligned. Or williams mother after we butt fuck ou

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting