Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Dewberry has made several visits to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and LSU in the past. He's made visits out to Texas and to Alabama as well, though he noted that communication had waned down a bit with those two schools lately.

"waned down"?  We need to wane it up!

• Haha 1

Rivals is counting down 2022 5*s and Quinn jumps in at 6. Dewberry the only other Texan so far. WR Luther Burden of St. Louis also makes it, we have offered but not apparently in play at the moment.

I am 99% sure they are going to slot another QB ahead of Ewers. All of the Rivals folks cite an awkward throwing motion. Not to be the kool-aid man, but it's the same little hitch you see from Mahomes, and not an issue worth slotting him behind any other QB in the class. Rivals gonna Rivals. 

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Rivals is counting down 2022 5*s and Quinn jumps in at 6. Dewberry the only other Texan so far. WR Luther Burden of St. Louis also makes it, we have offered but not apparently in play at the moment.

I am 99% sure they are going to slot another QB ahead of Ewers. All of the Rivals folks cite an awkward throwing motion. Not to be the kool-aid man, but it's the same little hitch you see from Mahomes, and not an issue worth slotting him behind any other QB in the class. Rivals gonna Rivals. 

Guess that will ruin his perfect 1.0000 composite score but should keep him at #1 overall

Edited by ChampionshipLevelPiss

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Wonder what the fuckers thought of VInce's throwing motion.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That awkward throwing motion that limits him to only throwing the ball a maximum of 80 yards downfield and completing 80% of his passes.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

image.thumb.png.40deab8f66c5ee39517cdb184e46e767.png

Austin Jordan would be the odd man out here. They see him as safety adjacent, so he could either be the nickel take or we go after one of the national corners like Thompson or Domani Jackson. The longest shot here is Kamari Wilson. If we miss on Wilson, and someone is going to need to explain to me why he's a 5*, thee are 3 candidates to backfill. Cristian Driver is the in-state option, Zion Branch is the OOS star shooting option, and Landon Hullaby is your contingency.

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Finley played two seasons as an under class man, that's more than all of his predecessors have compiled in their careers. He broke school records for Tight Ends, the game against Oklahoma where Finley racked up 150 yards is more than the majority of these other spares have compiled during a season.

It's unclear if you know what predecessor means

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

lulz. There is nothing awkward about his throwing motion. That thing is clean and effortless. If you're really nitpicking, the one change he could make is holding the ball higher, so his release is shortened and he has better ball security in the pocket, which should create better accuracy (though there's not a whole lot of room for improvement for him). I couldn't find full stats but saw he had at least one fumble against both Duncanville and Guyer and holding the ball as low as he does will cause some ball security issues.

But even with a fairly long throwing motion, his release isn't too slow and it clearly works for him, so there's not a need to change his throwing motion. 

48 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Ewers motion is effortless. He reminds me of a blend of Aaron Rogers and Mahomes. But better.

Whew. I was worried you were going to overhype him some, but you took the conservative approach of limiting his comparisons to being better than the two best passers of the football this century.

On a serious note, Rodgers made huge strides under McCarthy when he changed where he held the ball. He used to hold it super high at Cal, and then changed his technique to hold it more chest height, which is what he credits a lot of his improvement from college to the pros. You can see in this still photo at Cal vs. this clip from his time with the Packers. 

Cal: 

103586105.jpg.0.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3wul3WmpRBblNifHhvzp

Packers (go to 34 seconds in this video since it won't embed):

Ewers currently holds the ball very low while he's in the pocket. If he pulls that up a little bit to more chest height/at his numbers, he'll probably improve his ball security and quicken his release a little bit without having to fundamentally change his throwing motion or mechanics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Horns 247 / Barton Simmons / Tom Herman has Texas' QB room finally roaring to life

(In which ... Barton hitches his wagon to Ewers and Texas.)

Spoiler

Tom Herman has Texas' QB room finally roaring to life

Barton Simmons

Texas has tasted the fruit of national championship football more recently than most. It was back in 2005 and despite a loaded roster that would go on to produce a remarkable 32 players that would appear in NFL games, it still took the heroics of a former No. 1 overall recruit in Vince Young to finish the job. On Friday, Texas landed the No. 1 player in the country once again: 20 recruiting classes after Young, Quinn Ewers, out of the class of 2022, committed to Texas.

Texas peaked in that 2006 Rose Bowl win over USC. Four years later, with Colt McCoy at quarterback, the Longhorns were playing for a national title again before a hit by Alabama’s Marcel Dareus knocked Texas into a quarterback valley. Garrett Gilbert, David Ash, Case McCoy, Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard followed and Texas toiled in mediocrity. The freshmen seasons of Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger that came next brought signs of life, even as mediocrity persisted. Texas now finds itself equipped with the pieces at quarterback to emerge back into consistent contention.

Earlier this summer I tabbed Texas’ quarterback room as the fourth-best group in the country pointing to the experience and success of Ehlinger, the early returns on true freshman Hudson Card and the diversity of skillset provided by redshirt sophomore Casey Thompson and Ja'Quinden Jackson, a ballyhooed 2020 classmate of Card. But quarterback rooms can change dramatically by the year. Ask a team like Georgia. Even more important than the talent in the room is the short- and long-term succession plan. With the commitment of Ewers, Texas has one of the very best succession plans in the country.

In 2021, the successor to Ehlinger will be either a second-year youngster in Card (No. 59 in 247Sports Composite) or Jackson (73), or a veteran in Thompson (291) who would have earned that job by beating not one, but two such talents out. Jalen Milroe (82) is slated to arrive that year as a freshman. He’s got arm talent, athleticism and horsepower but needs refinement and I wouldn’t expect him to be ready to start right out of the gate – a welcomed trait for a room that could be three-deep in competition. That gives Milroe time to develop and grow under whoever has seized the job above him. Then comes Ewers in 2022.

I’ve written before about the different ways to build a quarterback room successfully in the current college football climate and Texas’ pacing and cadence is starting to round into a Clemson-esque form. We believe Ewers is potentially a Trevor Lawrence-caliber talent. He could arrive, as Lawrence did, presenting coaches with the welcomed problem of choosing between a safe Kelly Bryant-caliber starter or himself as a precocious youngster. Or perhaps, he arrives as former five-star Clemson freshman DJ Uiagalelei has this fall, willing to wait one year behind a star that has already emerged like Card or Jackson, content to take over a healthy, contending program one year into his career.

Find me a better long-term plan in college football than Ehlinger-to-Card/Jackson-to Ewers. There’s Lawrence-to-Uiagalelei at Clemson. There’s Justin Fields-to-CJ Stroud-to-Kyle McCord at Ohio State. There’s Spencer Rattler-to-Caleb Williams at Oklahoma. There’s the gluttonous collection of arms Georgia has compiled with Brock Vandagriff slated to join the list. But those plans all expire before Texas’ new blueprint does. More importantly, those are all playoff-contending programs with playoff-level stability at quarterback.

If you're a believer that Texas will be ‘back’ to national contention in the next few seasons, you're banking that its quarterback room will be back to the VY and McCoy levels that Longhorns fans enjoyed in the mid-2000s. It sounds hyperbolic, but that's what it will take for Tom Herman to out-duel Oklahoma twice a year now and finally get to the College Football Playoff. It's been 15 years since the Longhorns won a national championship. And with who the Longhorns will have behind center, especially if Ewers meets the hype, then things might finally be coming full circle in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Whew. I was worried you were going to overhype him some, but you took the conservative approach of limiting his comparisons to being better than the two best passers of the football this century.

thanks man. i did my best to hold back. 

26 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The next person making a "clever" and "unique" comparison of current 2022 hype to 2021's OL hype gets a neg

I agree. It reminds me more of that time when we were going to have to figure out who to turn away from the LB haul of Baron Browning, Dylan Moses, Anthony Hines, Levi Jones, and some other cats.

12 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

I agree. It reminds me more of that time when we were going to have to figure out who to turn away from the LB haul of Baron Browning, Dylan Moses, Anthony Hines, Levi Jones, and some other cats.

Except that, two years out, we already have Browning and Browning is not just the best LB in his class but the best player. 

Stampede pt. 2 - Nick Harris

It's all basketball, but this is interesting

OMARI ABOR

Football recruiting fans may be very familiar with Duncanville's four-star defensive end Omari Abor as he is a top target on the gridiron for the Texas 2022 class.

What is little known about his recruitment is that he is looking to play both basketball and football at the next level. On the hardwood, he already has an offer from Michigan and is picking up interest from multiple schools, including Texas, Baylor and Washington.

After playing for Dallas Showtyme Elite over the weekend, he told Horns247 that the Texas football staff has pitched him already on playing basketball as well in Austin. He is scheduled to hop on the phone with head coach Shaka Smart soon.

ANTHONY BLACK HAS FOUR-STAR POTENTIAL IN FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
Speaking of possible two-sport stars at the next level, Coppell's Anthony Black has picked up 7 offers on the basketball court, including Texas, and 12 offers on the football field.

He is currently gauging the field in both sports and weighing his options, but playing both sports at the next level is a very solid possibility for the 6-foot-5 shooting guard and wide receiver.

Black was offered by Texas' basketball staff earlier this month, but the communication between the two has been going on for much longer. Black said that Texas is his favorite school right now because of his relationship with Neill Berry and Shaka Smart as they talk 3-4 times a week.

Baylor is also at the top as his dad is a former star on the hardwood for the Bears.

57 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I've seen a list like this before...where was it....

...oh yes, last year's 2021 OL talk.  

PTSD and shit.  

If we get raped again by ou/bu/tcu this year, that DB class is not coming. If Herman can lead, we'll get who we need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

if you ever thought Levi Jones was coming to Texas you were not paying attention very closely.

Browning? sure.

Hines? doubtful.

Moses? hell naw.

but Levi Jones was the least likely of that entire group to every come to Texas. and it isn't really even close.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

if you ever thought Levi Jones was coming to Texas you were not paying attention very closely.

Browning? sure.

Hines? doubtful.

Moses? hell naw.

but Levi Jones was the least likely of that entire group to every come to Texas. and it isn't really even close.

There was a point where we were trending better for Hines than we were for Browning. And I'd have placed Jones ahead of Moses in that equation. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Browning? sure.

Hines? doubtful.

Moses? hell naw.

Maybe not Jones, but at one point Texas fans thought we wouldn’t have space for all these blue chip LBs and ended up with none. 

But to say Hines and Moses weren’t possibilities (and doubtful) at one peak sunshine moment in recruiting for that year, is pure revisionist history.  But go ahead. 

21 minutes ago, Hornsfan91 said:

I’m not trying to start anything but I was told today by an LSU commit that Jaydon Blue is now leaning towards Texas. #EwersEffect

I'm not asking you to start anything, but if you do start something, start 'em like Hornsfan91 does.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

dont start no ish wont be no ish

unless its more like this then yes keep bringing this ish into my veins 

When you wish to make a wish, wave your hand with a big swish swish. Then say, "I wish for ish!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Scouting Ewers: Scipio

Hey, anyone know where I can find some opinions on Quinn Ewers?

I’d like to add my own thoughts on the now junior signal caller. His story will be written over time, but I’m hard pressed to find better sophomore QB film in my years of observing HS football recruits.

Looking vs. Seeing

When Horn Overhyped Recruits Rep meets the #1 player in the nation, you're going to get some lazy takes.

Some look and can’t see, so they rely on inference.

The logic goes: Southlake Carroll is a system school, ergo Ewers is likely Garrett Gilbert or Brock Berlin. This is a particularly bad take. And annoying because it's laziness dressed up as sophistication. I can show you system QBs with big statistics that won't translate well to the elite level. I can show you dozens, in fact. That's not Ewers.

Scout traits, then examine production. Ewers has big time traits. Ewers has gaudy production because of terrific traits. Don’t get it twisted. The cart of production doesn’t pull the horse of ability here. Throw out all of the BS and just watch the film. Ewers’ pure passing ability would be absolutely elite in a graduating high school senior, much less an incoming junior.

More broadly, we are well past the circa 2000-2010 era where a polished high school spread offense is utterly mystifying to high school defenses, with huge chunks of yardage available by simple alignment or tempo.

Ignore the noise and focus on the signal. The signal is his native ability. Any static is created by the observer. Not the objective play on the field.

In fact, if Quinn’s sticky-fingered receivers dropped 20% of his passes (production plummets!), his base talent level would remain unchanged. Don’t look at the play result. Look at everything that led up to the ball hitting that receiver's hands.

Even the pros who love Ewers can offer some odd takes. A comp to Philip Rivers (and I'm a Rivers fan) on 24-7's official scouting report is looking but not seeing. If you're trying to describe QE's ability to vary release points and throw with anticipation (trademark Rivers attributes), you don't need to pick a statue with an irregular "normal" release. That's putting him in the Rivers/Manning/Ryan family of QBs. If you have to comp a kid's game to the pros, one can convey a much better understanding of his attributes with names like Rodgers/Mahomes/Burrow.

As for the actual scouting report, I'm not sure what "sneaky good velocity" conveys. His velocity is apparent. As for athleticism not being demonstrated in a testing environment, I get it, but he's not a CB or DE. Everything I need to know about his athleticism is written all over his film. Let's not overthink this. If he runs a 4.95 40, I'll offer a shrug. If he runs a 4.60 40, I'll shrug.

Elite Competition

The sophomore played against elite competition like he was on beta blockers. He elevated SLC against the very best.

Ewers was dominant against the four best teams he faced: Denton Guyer (14-2), Desoto (9-3), Midland Lee (11-2), and a loaded Duncanville (15-1). The latter three all in a row in the playoffs. Desoto, Midland Lee, and Duncanville all gave up season highs on defense to his accurate arm.

Here's what Quinn did in those four games against four opponents that went a combined 48-5 in their games outside of SLC:

W 46-34 Guyer 35/22/333/4/0, 9-117-2 tds rushing
W 37-15 Desoto 28/18/364/5/0, 11-42 rushing
W 49-27 Lee 30/25/361/4/0, 8-48-2 tds rushing
L 35-49 D'ville 52/33/393/3/0, 7-19 rushing

QE averaged 362.8 yards passing per game at 10 yards per attempt while completing 67.6% of his passes. 16 touchdowns passing, 0 interceptions. He also rushed for 57 yards per game at 6.5 per carry and four touchdowns, including a 100+ yard effort.

Against Duncanville, it would not be uncharitable to say that SLC was outclassed at about 17 of the 22 positions on the field. Insert generic SLC system QB into that offense and the game is 56-10 for D'ville. Not a one touchdown game late in the 4th quarter.

Mostly, I wanted to see games where Ewers got knocked around and things went bad for him. Did he pout? Point at teammates? Shy from contact?

Nope. Duncanville and Desoto delivered shots. Ewers effectively shrugged off pressure and big hits and threw multiple strikes under duress with no miscues. That's pretty remarkable.

Attributes

Arm strength is overdone, but sufficient arm strength is vitally important if your want an offense that can stress an entire defense. Ewers has a very good arm and not much else needs to be written there. It's a big checked box. Arguing over whether it's a good arm vs. a very good arm vs. a great arm is for people who like arguing or probably don't understand the concept of enough arm.

Far more important for his projection are attributes like pocket presence, eye level, accuracy, and ball placement. He's an A in every one of those categories.

Pocket presence is more than just the ability to stand strong in the pocket and take a hit to deliver the ball. It's also the ability to find windows and move in ways that enhance protection and buy time within the scheme. The special value add of the Wilson/Rodgers/Mahomes/Favre variety is when you can you float backwards or to either side and still deliver a strike with a compromised and shortened posture. Quinn can. I can't remember another sophomore who could do it as well.

Eye level is a make or break attribute. A QB has to be aware of pressure and pass rushers while keeping his eyes downfield. If he drops his eyes to the pocket, it all goes to ****. Half of the QBs in the NFL, much less college, struggle with keeping their eyes on their teammate thirty yards away instead of the free 275 pound defender five feet away.

Accuracy is more than just making the hard throws into small windows. It's also making the routine throws optimally. A properly thrown swing pass that hits extended hands six inches in front of an upfield shoulder pad can be worth an extra 5-10 yards to a gifted WR or RB in space. Put it six inches off and it's 2nd and 9 and you gave up a free knee shot on your skill talent to a guy with a ten yard head start.

Ball placement is accuracy with benefits. It's one thing to hit a guy on the slant solidly. Catchable ball. A little low, tad behind him. You did your job. It's another to thread it perfectly in stride to extended hands at the numbers so the receiver can accelerate through the catch and the flat footed safety behind him loses his angle. Can you throw guys open? Can you show the receiver on a stop route where the defender is coming from simply by your ball placement so he can get more YAC? Can you make the big play ball catchable only to your guy?

Here's an illustration of these concepts in one clip (h/t to 24-7 Charles Power):

giphy.gif
Eyes, ball placement, pocket presence.

giphy.gif

Creates time, throws accurately rolling left with a short release. That's real hard.

giphy.gif

Gives up ground intentionally to let the post develop. Eyes never leave downfield. Back foots it. Takes shot. Mahomes throw.

I can show you a dozen more from his HUDL, but you get the drift.

Ewers' upside will be determined by his developmental curve and by his ability to acquire new skills as the competition levels up. But I've not seen a sophomore passer with a better head start.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

It really reminds me of the time we were trying to figure out who to turn away out of Sterns, Foster, Overshown, Green, Cook and Jamison...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting