Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Roach

Crystal Ballin: Updating predictions for the 2022 class

Buzz is beginning to pick up in the 2022 class.

Following the commitments of Phaizon Wilson and Quinn Ewers, chatter is going around from a group of 2022 prospects. With that in mind, it’s time for another round of Crystal Ballin’ to update a round of 247Sports Crystal Balls for the 2022 class.

New picks

Last night I entered a prediction for Lewisville wide receiver Armani Winfield after hearing some intel on him, but he isn’t the only prospect I’ve heard of generating positive buzz with the Longhorns.

I’ve also entered a new pick for a 2022 star defender. Even before Ewers committed, I started to hear strong feedback on Denver Harris. The five-star North Shore cornerback has been a big target of Texas cornerbacks coach Jay Valai, and the Longhorns are right at the top of the list. I don’t believe Harris is as close to a decision as others may be, so I’ve entered him with a confidence score of 6 for now.

Rising confidence

I already had a pick in for Jaydon Blue with a confidence score of 6, but I’ve elevated that score to an 8. Blue was high on Texas initially as the Longhorns were one of the first schools to offer the top back in the state for 2022, and I’m told that Blue has been in contact with the Texas staff and commits quite a bit recently. I worried about LSU initially in this recruitment, but I think Texas is standing out right now.

I also took the Crystal Ball confidence score up from a 6 to an 8 for Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell. The five-star guard has been high on Texas since the beginning, but the Longhorns continue to grow bigger in his eyes.

I’ve also pushed the confidence score from a 6 to an 8 for Port Arthur Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau. Guilbeau was one of the first 2022 Crystal Ball picks I entered, and I haven’t lost confidence in Texas there. Jay Valai has been pushing hard in this recruitment, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas push for a commitment with a loaded field at cornerback.

Close to entering a pick

I mentioned it in The Stampede, but I’m close to entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for five-star Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy safety Kamari Wilson. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, I wrote about how things were pretty real with Wilson before Ewers committed, and the press for the top safety in the country hasn’t stopped since the 2022 class took off. My hesitation is that Wilson has yet to visit and he has some other big time programs after him. That said, I believe Texas is for real in that race.

One player I heard quite a bit about after Ewers committed was Fort Worth Nolan Catholic athlete Emeka Megwa. I have yet to connect with Megwa or those around him, but I was told by several people that he had a very strong reaction to Ewers making his commitment. Texas has always been in a sneaky good position for Megwa, but the Longhorns could be moving into a commanding position.

I checked in with sources near Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart to see if there was any reason for movement with the 2022 speedster. While I like the early job the Longhorns have done in his recruitment, I was told he probably isn’t quite ready. Stewart didn’t enter the year a major recruit and he’s still getting to know the bigger schools still recruiting him. I think Texas remains at the top of the group but he’s not quite ready to shut things down.

On the rise

While I don’t think Texas has moved into the lead for the following prospects, I believe stock is on the rise. I’d need to see more to enter a Crystal Ball, but the early information is encouraging so far.

Jay Valai is also working hard on Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei cornerback Domani Jackson. While Texas is in the mix at the top, there is still some congestion with Clemson and Michigan looming large in this recruitment. Still, I think this is a race Texas can realistically win for an elite out of state prospect.

I once thought Oklahoma would be tough to overcome for 2022 Duncanville DE Omari Abor. I think Texas is closing that gap quickly. Not only have the Longhorns been able to pitch him on fit in the defense, but they’ve also talked to the two-sport star about an opportunity to play basketball at the next level. The Longhorns keep moving forward with the monster athlete and could continue to rise with some momentum in this class.

A month ago, I thought Texas was fading hard with Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry, but Texas might be on the upswing once again. The staff will still have to overcome programs like Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, but the staff and commits are giving Texas a chance to climb back into it. It’s really up to Herb Hand to take this by the proverbial horns and finish the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Rivals 2022 top 250, in-state

3) Denver Harris
6) Quinn Ewers
10) Kam Dewberry
15) Bear Alexander
24) Devon Campbell
29) Caleb Burton
37) Bryce Anderson
53) Jaydon Blue
58) Brenen Thompson
65) Kelvin Banks
79) Evan Stewart
83) Malick Sylla
95) Armani Winfield
103) Bryan Allen Jr
109) Chace Biddle
127) Harold Perkins
133) Phaizon Wilson
155) Kobie McKinzie
157) Cameron Williams
159) Donovan Green
178) Jaylon Guilbeau
184) Jordan Hudson
189) Julian Humphrey
190) Conner Weigman
193) Emeka Megwa
198) Jadarian Price
200) Bobby Taylor
203) Omari Abor
210) Christian Driver
225) Cole Hutson
233) Tavorus Jones
234) Demetrius Hunter
236) Ernest Cooper

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2022

Kam at 10? ok.

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Roach

Crystal Ballin: Updating predictions for the 2022 class

Reveal hidden contents

Buzz is beginning to pick up in the 2022 class.

Following the commitments of Phaizon Wilson and Quinn Ewers, chatter is going around from a group of 2022 prospects. With that in mind, it’s time for another round of Crystal Ballin’ to update a round of 247Sports Crystal Balls for the 2022 class.

New picks

Last night I entered a prediction for Lewisville wide receiver Armani Winfield after hearing some intel on him, but he isn’t the only prospect I’ve heard of generating positive buzz with the Longhorns.

I’ve also entered a new pick for a 2022 star defender. Even before Ewers committed, I started to hear strong feedback on Denver Harris. The five-star North Shore cornerback has been a big target of Texas cornerbacks coach Jay Valai, and the Longhorns are right at the top of the list. I don’t believe Harris is as close to a decision as others may be, so I’ve entered him with a confidence score of 6 for now.

Rising confidence

I already had a pick in for Jaydon Blue with a confidence score of 6, but I’ve elevated that score to an 8. Blue was high on Texas initially as the Longhorns were one of the first schools to offer the top back in the state for 2022, and I’m told that Blue has been in contact with the Texas staff and commits quite a bit recently. I worried about LSU initially in this recruitment, but I think Texas is standing out right now.

I also took the Crystal Ball confidence score up from a 6 to an 8 for Arlington Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell. The five-star guard has been high on Texas since the beginning, but the Longhorns continue to grow bigger in his eyes.

I’ve also pushed the confidence score from a 6 to an 8 for Port Arthur Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau. Guilbeau was one of the first 2022 Crystal Ball picks I entered, and I haven’t lost confidence in Texas there. Jay Valai has been pushing hard in this recruitment, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas push for a commitment with a loaded field at cornerback.

Close to entering a pick

I mentioned it in The Stampede, but I’m close to entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for five-star Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy safety Kamari Wilson. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, I wrote about how things were pretty real with Wilson before Ewers committed, and the press for the top safety in the country hasn’t stopped since the 2022 class took off. My hesitation is that Wilson has yet to visit and he has some other big time programs after him. That said, I believe Texas is for real in that race.

One player I heard quite a bit about after Ewers committed was Fort Worth Nolan Catholic athlete Emeka Megwa. I have yet to connect with Megwa or those around him, but I was told by several people that he had a very strong reaction to Ewers making his commitment. Texas has always been in a sneaky good position for Megwa, but the Longhorns could be moving into a commanding position.

I checked in with sources near Frisco Liberty wide receiver Evan Stewart to see if there was any reason for movement with the 2022 speedster. While I like the early job the Longhorns have done in his recruitment, I was told he probably isn’t quite ready. Stewart didn’t enter the year a major recruit and he’s still getting to know the bigger schools still recruiting him. I think Texas remains at the top of the group but he’s not quite ready to shut things down.

On the rise

While I don’t think Texas has moved into the lead for the following prospects, I believe stock is on the rise. I’d need to see more to enter a Crystal Ball, but the early information is encouraging so far.

Jay Valai is also working hard on Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei cornerback Domani Jackson. While Texas is in the mix at the top, there is still some congestion with Clemson and Michigan looming large in this recruitment. Still, I think this is a race Texas can realistically win for an elite out of state prospect.

I once thought Oklahoma would be tough to overcome for 2022 Duncanville DE Omari Abor. I think Texas is closing that gap quickly. Not only have the Longhorns been able to pitch him on fit in the defense, but they’ve also talked to the two-sport star about an opportunity to play basketball at the next level. The Longhorns keep moving forward with the monster athlete and could continue to rise with some momentum in this class.

A month ago, I thought Texas was fading hard with Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry, but Texas might be on the upswing once again. The staff will still have to overcome programs like Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, but the staff and commits are giving Texas a chance to climb back into it. It’s really up to Herb Hand to take this by the proverbial horns and finish the job.

christmas love GIF by Kool Aid

Gerry: Notes from Dickinson

I'm a big fan of where 2022 OT PJ Williams will go physically, and as an OT. A former DE, PF on regional champs hoops team ...He's closing in on 6-5, weighs 248-250, has an 83-inch wingspan, likely 10.5-inch hands, can bend and has reactive quickness. Very, very high ceiling.

Donovan Green. One of the top TE prospects in the country in 2022. Everyone has seen a lot of him.

Green and Williams are both solid students, as well as nationally recruited prospects.

Texas has done a good job with these recruitments, and is in a solid position.

Schools mention with Green were Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, OU, Ohio State, Florida (Tim Brewster working him hard) and USC. Green said when he turned on the TV to watch college ball, it was Texas and Ohio State.

Williams had a call with Texas A&M Sunday. Also mentioned Michigan as doing a good job recruiting him. Texas is a school he mentioned as watching growing up. and likes now.

Gerry also visited La Porte. He feels Regis is leaning Texas slightly. He's also 6'2-6'3, 295 with long arms and size 17 shoes. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

A couple of recruits were laughing and poking fun at having Banks in the dream 2022 class edit.    

Genuinely curious are you talking about the most recent dream class edit from a fan Instagram account that Ewers shared or is this a different instance? Also I know we’ve been plagued with the “dream offer” bullshit but hasn’t Banks been quoted in articles that he grew up a Texas fan possibly in a pro Texas family?

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm a big fan of where 2022 OT PJ Williams will go physically, and as an OT. A former DE, PF on regional champs hoops team ...He's closing in on 6-5, weighs 248-250, has an 83-inch wingspan, likely 10.5-inch hands, can bend and has reactive quickness. Very, very high ceiling.

Donovan Green. One of the top TE prospects in the country in 2022. Everyone has seen a lot of him.

Green and Williams are both solid students, as well as nationally recruited prospects.

Schools mention with Green were Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, OU, Ohio State, Florida (Tim Brewster working him hard) and USC. Green said when he turned on the TV to watch college ball, it was Texas and Ohio State.

Williams had a call with Texas A&M Sunday. Also mentioned Michigan as doing a good job recruiting him. Texas is a school he mentioned as watching growing up. and likes now.

Gerry also visited La Porte. He feels Regis is leaning Texas slightly. He's also 6'2-6'3, 295 with long arms and size 17 shoes. 

Gerry's notes are solid, glad to have him back on the trail covering Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I wonder if Williams’ call on Sunday is over yet

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

On the BON podcast, Roach said that Ewers called Tim Beck at NC State and asked about the decision to commit to Texas and Beck fully endorsed the program and Herman...good fucking assist Beck

Lulz. He's still one of Texas best recruiters even at another school.

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. He's still one of Texas best recruiters even at another school.

I wish he was willing to accept a smaller role. Beck could have probably brought in the Arizona linemen. 

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting