Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Quick note: There has been some 9.95er sentiment regarding how challenging a pull out of Duncanville will be in the near future. And I thought....why? We have JQJ? We almost landed Rakestraw? But, everyone has been consistent about saying it, from Roach through IT. 

The only feasible explanation for me is in an attempt to salvage OL recruiting, we went hard negative at Samples with Byrd. Clearly it hasn't worked and it handicaps us with Early and Abor. Unless we hire Samples away during the next offseason (unlikely), we can probably expect that well to dry up. 

We are more equipped to handle Dallas than we have been in recent memory. Valai and Boulware both have good (and different) relationships that we will benefit from, but this one stings a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Quick note: There has been some 9.95er sentiment regarding how challenging a pull out of Duncanville will be in the near future. And I thought....why? We have JQJ? We almost landed Rakestraw? But, everyone has been consistent about saying it, from Roach through IT. 

The only feasible explanation for me is in an attempt to salvage OL recruiting, we went hard negative at Samples with Byrd. Clearly it hasn't worked and it handicaps us with Early and Abor. Unless we hire Samples away during the next offseason (unlikely), we can probably expect that well to dry up. 

We are more equipped to handle Dallas than we have been in recent memory. Valai and Boulware both have good (and different) relationships that we will benefit from, but this one stings a bit. 

Unless we win. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Man. Thatd be a truly dumbass move to neg coach samples kid. We arent talking one kid. We are talking a major dfw school. And a respected coach throughout the metropolex. 

I can see Meh doing that shit. But whatever you say about Herman,  I can't see him signing off in that. 

Saying stupid shit to an RB on the phone in the heat of the moment on the eve of his signing day?  OK. I can see that. Sometimes you say stupid shit ( this is surly)  but when you approach that kinda situation, that to that point has been golden. You don't nuke it by personal attacks. Especially with the Samples. 

Now excuse me. I need another drank

Man. Thatd be a truly dumbass move to neg coach samples kid. We arent talking one kid. We are talking a major dfw school. And a respected coach throughout the metropolex. 
I can see Meh doing that shit. But whatever you say about Herman,  I can't see him signing off in that. 
Saying stupid shit to an RB on the phone in the heat of the moment on the eve of his signing day?  OK. I can see that. Sometimes you say stupid shit ( this is surly)  but when you approach that kinda situation, that to that point has been golden. You don't nuke it by personal attacks. Especially with the Samples. 
Now excuse me. I need another drank

And to be fair, conjecture on my part.

It could be as simple as them leveraging their power until Herman hires samples. Or someone else does and then their influence moves that direction. 

A program talking shit about your son would make you resist supporting that program. Can the same be said about said program not extending a lucrative job offer to your son after getting their first real football opportunity there? I don’t know, but I don’t think so. Unless there was a handshake agreement in place that wasn’t followed through on. And that would make sense.

6 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

A program talking shit about your son would make you resist supporting that program. Can the same be said about said program not extending a lucrative job offer to your son after getting their first real football opportunity there? I don’t know, but I don’t think so. Unless there was a handshake agreement in place that wasn’t followed through on. And that would make sense.

Herman absolutely has his problems with being an asshole, but he doesn't seem like the type to pour gasoline over himself in this way. Could something baldly factual been misconstrued or taken as an insult, sure, I could see that.

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I’m not saying that. I’m saying it’s all Duncanville using leverage, not that an event happened 

32 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It doesn’t seem that far fetched that Samples Sr. wanted or thought Jr. should get promoted to WR coach and might not be happy about that. It doesn’t mean he has some vendetta against Herman. 

He was quite pleased with Michelle Herman’s tweet at the time & was aware that he needed to become a coach.  

It is possible that Sr. Thought that Raschad should have gotten a spot when we overhauled things this year.

Edited by cochamps
  • Fuck You 1

Gerry Hamilton: A too early dozen most important in the 2022 class

A too early dozen most important in the 2022 class

The class of 2022 for the Longhorns came into clear focus with the commitment of the nation’s top prospect, and budding star quarterback Quinn Ewers. The second Ewers announced his commitment via Twitter, the expectations ratcheted up for the class.

Ewers commitment couldn't be more important. Not only is the 2022 cycle's crop of wide receivers among the best the state has produced in recent years and Ewers commitment should ensure success in winning two or three key battles, but the need to send a message fighting off Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and SEC West powers has never been more important.

The too early dozen most important isn’t reflective of the IT 2022 prospect rankings that will be released in the coming weeks, but more about the importance for Texas in the 2022 cycle with an emphasis on premium positions.

1. Quinn Ewers, QB, Southlake Carroll
Not much can be said that hasn’t been already. Ewers has the chance to be one of those few special quarterback prospects, and his commitment early is a home run for the Longhorns in recruiting as long as the program has a successful season on the field. Ewers being from DFW is massive too with so many top prospects in the 2022 cycle being from the area. The Longhorns have the No. 1 prospect and top of the “must get” board in the fold, which provides the staff an opportunity to build a special class.

Competition: Texas beat out Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas A&M, USC, Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, etc…

2. Kelvin Banks, OT, Summer Creek
Having seen Banks at the Elite Underclassmen Camp in July, and again Monday at Summer Creek practice, this is a “must get” prospect for Texas in the 2022 cycle. His ability at OT would fit in nicely with the cream of the crop in state in the 2021 class. The relationship with offensive line coaches will factor in heavily in this recruitment for the one-time Oklahoma State verbal.

Competition: LSU, Texas A&M, Auburn, Tennessee, etc.

3. Denver Harris, CB, North Shore
It’s important to note that Harris’ ranking doesn’t mean that he’s Derek Stingley Jr., Patrick Peterson or any of the recent special CB prospects nationally. With that said, Harris is very talented and is on the list of “must get” prospects for the Longhorns in the 2022 class due to being the best prospect in state at a premium position.

Competition: LSU and Ohio State

4. Ernest Cooper, Malick Sylla, Omari Abor
Cooper and Sylla will rank among the top defensive end prospects in the country in 2022, and Abor is very high on a number of boards. With three national level DE’s in the state, Texas must win out for one of the three even if the 2021 class shot the moon with Shemar Turner at DE to go with what’s already committed. The issue right now for Texas is it’s difficult to say which prospect the Longhorns could win on as they are working from behind on all three.

Competition: Stanford, Clemson, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, SEC West

5. Devon Campbell, OG, Arlington Bowie
Watch basketball clips on Campbell’s Twitter, and you instantly know why he sits at No. 5 on this list of ultra talented prospects. Factor in he’s a difference maker type as an OG, and Campbell instantly ascends to one of the “must get” prospects in the 2022 cycle for Tom Herman and staff.

Competition: LSU and Oklahoma

6. Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Legacy
Stewart tops the wide receivers on this list because he has something the program doesn’t have at Stewart’s level right now — elite acceleration, vertical burst to take the top off and ability to quickly separate out of cuts. Maybe it’s because Stewart is a lean to Texas, but he falls into the “must get” category. His elite skill set, fact that Texas is in a good spot, he’s in all-important DFW, and near Quinn Ewers makes this one an easy must get call.

Competition: Oklahoma, SEC

7. Caleb Burton, WR, Del Valle
Keeping the elite from the Austin area home, save quarterback, hasn’t been easy for the Longhorns in recent years. With Ewers on board to toss the rock, and the elite talent level of Burton to catch the rock, this becomes one of the most important battles for the staff in the 2022 cycle. The lone reason he’s not a “must get” is because of the depth at the position in the cycle.

Competition: Oklahoma, Ohio State, Stanford, SEC

8. Jaydon Blue, RB, Klein Cain
Should LJ Johnson choose someone other than Texas, then Blue will dart up the board. As a running back prospect, he’s a legit playmaker both as a runner and receiver with the versatility to line up in the slot. No matter where Blue ranks on a list that is most important, 200-pound RB’s with 10.6 speed and soft hands don’t grow on trees.

Competition: LSU and Oklahoma

9. Harold Perkins, OLB, Cy Park
Freak. Athletic freak. Athletic freak that is yet to truly scratch the surface physically or technically as a linebacker prospect. He’s not Derrick Johnson level in terms of “born to be a linebacker,” but athletically he’s on the same level and with frame similarities. Perkins will end up in the top 50 nationally in the 2022 class. College coaches covet an athlete on Perkins’ level to develop on the defensive side of the ball.

Competition: Texas A&M, SEC, Oklahoma

10. Chace Biddle, S, Garland
Yes, there are some very talented defensive backs in the 2022 cycle. With that said, Biddle’s combination of size and legit track speed positions him nicely to ascend over DBs ranked higher. And let’s be real, Texas has a much better shot here than flipping one of the two very talented LSU safety commits listed below. That makes Biddle very important for the Longhorns considering LSU has already raided the state at the position.

Competition: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, SEC West

11. Armani Winfield, WR, Lewisville
Having Winfield down this list isn’t about his talent level. He’s clearly among the best WRs in the country in 2022. What Stewart would give the program in terms of elite vertical quickness and speed, and Burton being a “must get” due to talent level and being an Austin area kid and son of a head coach, places the two ahead of Winfield. When Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, and Sloan Thomas all signed with Texas, someone extremely talented had to be No. 3 on the list.

Competition: Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Antonio Pierce/Herm Edwards

12. Jordan Hudson, WR, Garland
Flipping the Oklahoma commitment would be huge for momentum in the class. Hudson would normally be much higher on this list, as his talent is among the elite in the country regardless of classification due to a special pair of hands, and difference-maker ability after the catch. Because there are several WR prospects in the class that are top 100 national level prospects, Hudson becomes icing on the cake.

Competition: Committed to Oklahoma

Considered:
P.J. Williams, OT, Dickinson
Brenen Thompson, ATH, Spearman
Donovan Green, TE, Dickinson
Kam Dewberry, OG/T, Atascocita
Landon Hullaby, S, Mansfield Timberview
Cristian Driver, ATH, Liberty Christian
Bryce Anderson, S, Beaumont Westbrook (LSU verbal)
Bryan Allen, S, Aledo (LSU verbal)
Phaizon Wilson, WR, Lancaster (Texas verbal)
Jaylon Guilbeau, S/N/CB, Port Arthur Memorial
Austin Jordan, N/CB, Denton Ryan

• Hook 'Em 2

Samples went from bringing whoever we wanted to Texas from duncanville to trying to get them to SMU. To do that, he didn’t completely shit on texas, because he’s not an idiot, but he certainly didn’t help our cause. He’s not an angel, but he’s not burning bridges. It’s fine. He knows that if he can get 4*s to SMU on his own, his next step is a texas level job as an assistant. He’s not going to help texas out at his own expense 

Herman isn’t shitting on Samples, and Samples Sr isn’t shitting on Texas

The Rakestraw miss was about depth chart, and the Byrd miss is OU being a compromise school with a great OL developmental track record, and some other stuff

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Really hope we can get 2/3 of Sylla, Abor, and Cooper + the Bear as a DT.  No idea what things look like OOS with DL.  Keep stacking elite talent on DL even if we land Turner and Regis for 21'.

Shaw needs to get fired for Cooper to happen

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Or maybe the Samples family is fucking huge in Duncanville and Jr. has shown his chops as a recruiter.  Take the tinfoil hat off.

It’s not a knock against Samples Jr., but he needs to show at least some experience before becoming an assistant coach at Texas.  

I fucking hope he develops the shit out of the wr group at SMU.  If he comes back it will be a home run hire.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
Fuck OU, FCB, and Fuck Futureman, just Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

All position coaches should be fired every year and then the recruits rate on TikTok or some shit who they want to be their coaches. Samples coaching all 5 star WRs, Ro Simon coaching DBs, Willie Lyles like a second dad at RB coach, and somehow Oscar Giles is still coaching the Dline calling all his players “big man” because he has never met any of them before. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Really hope we can get 2/3 of Sylla, Abor, and Cooper + the Bear as a DT.  No idea what things look like OOS with DL.  Keep stacking elite talent on DL even if we land Turner and Regis for 21'.

Ehhhh, I'm not sure you'll be very happy unless we get some biiig swings our way. All three of those DEs have huge headwinds against Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is it crazy to think if we land Stewart, Winfield, and Burton to go with Wilson that someone like Hudson would get told no if he wanted to flip?

Of course not.  

If we could say no to Hayden Conner because we landed Brock/Bryce/Brock/Jackson/Byrd, we can say no to Hudson.

Sigh.

Elmer - love you, dude, but can we not go down the "embarassment of riches" path?  It's way too soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Getafix said:

Of course not.  

If we could say no to Hayden Conner because we landed Brock/Bryce/Brock/Jackson/Byrd, we can say no to Hudson.

Sigh.

Elmer - love you, dude, but can we not go down the "embarassment of riches" path?  It's way too soon.

But it's wabbit season.

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Or maybe the Samples family is fucking huge in Duncanville and Jr. has shown his chops as a recruiter.  Take the tinfoil hat off.

It’s not a knock against Samples Jr., but he needs to show at least some experience before becoming an assistant coach at Texas.  

I fucking hope he develops the shit out of the wr group at SMU.  If he comes back it will be a home run hire.

shut the fuck up, glen. 

who are the next tier of DL?  Think we can get Bear but we need DE

Just going by the 247 composite, there’s a big fall off after that top 3. Coincidently, they’re our only 3 in state offers right now. Let’s keep in mind that these dudes just finished their sophomore seasons and are all of 16 years old. Plenty of time for others to emerge. Landing Turner and Regis this year sure would be nice insurance.

I haven’t seen anything that indicates we’re anything more than 1 school out of a big pack that’s after Bear. Hope I’m wrong on that.

So far seems like we’re looking great at QB, RB, WR, and DB. Decent at OL and LB. Not so hot at DL. No clue on TE. As noted, it’s sooooooo early right now though.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

How many dudes have we pulled from Duncanville in the last 20 years?

Honestly, Duncanville hasn’t had that many dudes until they got Coach Samples about 5-6 years ago.  They were good late 90’s - early 00’s until Coach Alpert got leukemia.

The first 15 years of the period you are asking about is when Cedar Hill & DeSoto we’re cranking out the players.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, tokamak said:

I haven’t seen anything that indicates we’re anything more than 1 school out of a big pack that’s after Bear. Hope I’m wrong on that.

We were on him really early. He was the first or second offer in the class. That said, he's too fat right now. Need some varsity tape. 

11 hours ago, Fud said:

Samples went from bringing whoever we wanted to Texas from duncanville to trying to get them to SMU. To do that, he didn’t completely shit on texas, because he’s not an idiot, but he certainly didn’t help our cause. He’s not an angel, but he’s not burning bridges. It’s fine. He knows that if he can get 4*s to SMU on his own, his next step is a texas level job as an assistant. He’s not going to help texas out at his own expense 

Herman isn’t shitting on Samples, and Samples Sr isn’t shitting on Texas

Agreed. Samples is just doing his job, recruiting kids to his current employer. That's what he should be doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He's definitely not going aggy now

There is a video of a white Aggy standing in front of a confederate statue on campus asking the black player if he’s an Aggy or a Blaggie? 

The president of the school has sided with the alumni, and against the black players and association of teachers. 

If any black person chooses to attend A&M despite the overwhelming evidence that A&M doesn’t give a shit about black people, then that’s on them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There is a video of a white Aggy standing in front of a confederate statue on campus asking the black player if he’s an Aggy or a Blaggie? 

The president of the school has sided with the alumni, and against the black players and association of teachers. 

If any black person chooses to attend A&M despite the overwhelming evidence that A&M doesn’t give a shit about black people, then that’s on them. 

Wonder if this is what's in play for Turner? 

Edited by Mdhorn

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

If any black person chooses to attend A&M despite the overwhelming evidence that A&M doesn’t give a shit about black people is a shit hole for idiots and sheep fuckers, then that’s on them.

Not to be flippant in regards to the current state of affairs, because I agree with your statement, but FIFY.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting