Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Wasn't Thompson originally listed as a safety?  Or maybe he's projected to wind up at safety?

That's just projection, he's always been a CB on 247. He would be a spur take imo. 

Edit to add: He is listed as a safety on Rivals

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas offer is 'huge' for 2022 linebacker Sebastian Cheeks

lisa kudrow laughing GIF by The Comeback HBO

Spoiler

Texas offer is 'huge' for 2022 linebacker Sebastian Cheeks

MikeRoach

Sebastian Cheeks received an offer from Texas last week.

The four-star linebacker from Evanston (IL.) Township has been talking with Coleman Hutzler for a few months, but he’s excited to finally have an offer from the Longhorns.

“Honestly, I have been in touch with Texas for months now,” Cheeks said. “It’s huge for me to know that they’ve finally extended the offer officially.”

The Texas staff previously told Cheeks they wanted to see how he rebounded from an injury he suffered last season. Cheeks said the offer came out of nowhere.

“I mean, this conversation and all of our conversations have always been great,” he said. “Nothing felt different about today, and it came out of nowhere. He told me that as they were evaluating me. They wanted to wait to see how I’ve come back from my injury last year, but they’ve seen I’ve been working hard and have heard such good things. He believed there was no reason to waste more time.”

For Cheeks, Hutzler is one of his favorite coaches to talk with. Cheeks appreciates his straight-forward approach and genuine attitude.

“He’s honestly one of the most down to earth coaches I’ve gotten a chance to communicate with over time,” he said. “He told me what it was from day one. We’ve continued to build our relationship and he’s always someone I feel I can reach out to.”

Cheeks has always had an interest in Texas, and he said he believes the Longhorns will remain among his top schools.

“I mean, they are definitely a top school for me,” Cheeks said. “I believe they will be there in the end, and I’ll definitely make it to Austin for a visit for sure.”

At 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, Cheeks is ranked as the No. 13 outside linebacker in the country and the No. 3 overall prospect in Illinois, according to 247Sports composite.

• Hook 'Em 2

With this 2022 DB Isaac Thompson (no idea if he's a corner, spur, or safety) appearing to trend our way from out of state, I'm starting to wonder how the DB pieces are going to fit together 

These guys all seem to match high priority with relative early high likelihood (is there a second true outside corner in this list after Harris?)

Denver Harris

Jaylen Guilbeau

Isaac Thompson

Landon Hullaby

Jarred Kerr

Chace Biddle

These guys are either high priority but tough pulls or unclear priority but potentially easier pulls

Kamari Wilson

Bryan Allen Jr

Bryce Anderson

Austin Jordan

Jaeden Gould (still has his Texas offer pinned)

Christian Driver

Julian Humphrey 

Plus more names are going to emerge 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

With this 2022 DB Isaac Thompson (no idea if he's a corner, spur, or safety) appearing to trend our way from out of state, I'm starting to wonder how the DB pieces are going to fit together 

These guys all seem to match high priority with relative early high likelihood (is there a second true outside corner in this list after Harris?)

Denver Harris

Jaylen Guilbeau

Isaac Thompson

Landon Hullaby

Jarred Kerr

Chace Biddle

These guys are either high priority but tough pulls or unclear priority but potentially easier pulls

Kamari Wilson

Bryan Allen Jr

Bryce Anderson

Austin Jordan

Christian Driver

Julian Humphrey 

I'd move Kamari Wilson in a swap with Biddle, or Kerr, or Harris, honestly. He's been pretty forward in his love of Ewers. But otherwise great list. 

35 minutes ago, Fud said:

Denver Harris

Jaylen Guilbeau

Isaac Thompson

Landon Hullaby

Jarred Kerr

Chace Biddle

Kamari Wilson

Bryan Allen Jr

Bryce Anderson

Austin Jordan

Christian Driver

Julian Humphrey 

Domani Jackson?

13 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Domani Jackson

If Donte Williams stays as CB coach Jackson will be at USC. That dude is a badass recruiter.

Williams is basically home at USC, Culver high is like 15 minutes away. If he was to get a bigger/better job I think it would become a Texas/Clemson battle. He has job hopped A LOT, has DC aspirations, and is working for Orlando and Helton - home town or not.  Nothing with Clay Helton, Todd Orlando, or USC is solid in my mind - and ESD/NSD 2022 is long way away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Good info, I would have had Biddle and Harris in the "tough pull" category regardless of what our 995 have said. 

Yeah, our $9.95er seem to be in the "which 5-stars will we have to turn away???" phase of the cycle.

It's nice that there's a sense of optimism right now, definitely better than the alternative, but the recruiting process has barely even begun for most of these dudes, shit has a way of working itself out.

11 hours ago, bigco said:

If we can continue to play well and not look like a steaming pile of shit that OBJ could only dream of, this 2022 class is gonna be so damn good.
You know, just like the 2021 class would have been if we hadn’t looked like a steaming pile of shit last year.

Fucking Herman. He was so close to having this thing humming coming off the 2018 Sugar Bowl win, but it turns out having two incompetent coordinators is an impediment to success. Who could have guessed? 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If we can continue to play well and not look like a steaming pile of shit that OBJ could only dream of, this 2022 class is gonna be so damn good.
You know, just like the 2021 class would have been if we hadn’t looked like a steaming pile of shit last year.

Fucking Herman. He was so close to having this thing humming coming off the 2018 Sugar Bowl win, but it turns out having two incompetent coordinators is an impediment to success. Who could have guessed? 

2021 haven't signed yet.  There's still a chance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

2021 haven't signed yet.  There's still a chance.

Not really. We’ve already missed on too many of our elite targets. Barring basically an undefeated season, a good year doesn’t do a whole lot for the class sighing that November. Maybe covid will cause more recruits to delay til February and give us some more time to capitalize on results, but even when there was only one NSD, you tend to see a performance-related bump in recruiting the following class. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm obviously right there with you. But I'm not ready to start sucking our own dicks just yet. UTEP is terrible, and there still hasn't been a lot of practice time and reps for two new schemes. And unfortunately I'm getting to the point that Herman has put us behind the 8 ball to the point that if we don't go undefeated this season, it might still all fall apart on us somehow. Or get picked apart by negative recruiting. Like, say, OL. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I'm obviously right there with you. But I'm not ready to start sucking our own dicks just yet. UTEP is terrible, and there still hasn't been a lot of practice time and reps for two new schemes. And unfortunately I'm getting to the point that Herman has put us behind the 8 ball to the point that if we don't go undefeated this season, it might still all fall apart on us somehow. Or get picked apart by negative recruiting. Like, say, OL. 

That’s why i said IF we continue. I fully agree Herman still has plenty of time to fuck this up. I wouldn’t really count offense as a new scheme change, but I am still worried about the defense. Ash didn’t get a lot of time to install his scheme or coach guys up, and it’s not like our defense has solid fundamentals before he got here. UTEP has some success with the RPO pass game behind our LBs, and I expect Big 12 teams to mercilessly attack us on that until we show we can stop it. You’re also going to see way more Quarters-beaters route combos come conference play. The UTEP game was encouraging in that it looks like Ash did a good job getting the base scheme installed, but I’m not sure how ready we’ll be for some of the more nuanced attacks we face. Thankfully, the conference appears to be pretty down this year.

As for offense, I think we’ll be good even if our OL isn’t great, but the OL performance is definitely still a huge point of concern. We need to see a big jump in pass pro and mental play form Angilau and there was no jump on Saturday. C. jones also looked very green, and I’m sure Hookfin will to if he starts. Okafor was very solid at Guard though, Cosmi was elite as always, and Kerstetter did pretty well other than the penalties (though the one on the RoJo One was questionable). Still, This offseason was probably the hardest on OL. It takes a ton of reps for those guys to be good, and they didn’t get them, so hopefully we’ll see continued improvement there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This starts edging into satya-ness. The OL, sure we need to find a way to spark that back to life, but the rest has enormous upside. Herman had one bad year - happens to good coaches.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I concur. I've seen this story too many times before. Manny Diaze is great, we're saved! Todd Orlando is great, we're saved! Rinse repeat. Until we beat OU, beat TCU, beat the shit out of teams we should and win the Big 12 in the same season, I'm not going to be sucking any dicks. 

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This starts edging into satya-ness. The OL, sure we need to find a way to spark that back to life, but the rest has enormous upside. Herman had one bad year - happens to good coaches.

Yes. It happens to good coaches. But Texas is in a unique position that whens it's down, or even the perception that we're underachieving can be presented, every other school in the conference and region stops what they're doing and continually jumps up and down on our backs to every single recruit who will listen. And the media gleefully loves to shit all over us as well. Tell me, what do you think our class looks like if we lose it OU and OSU this season? What is the national narrative? What does the Ewers class look like? Is it top 5 or top 10? It's harder to say.

When Burt says we were close to having this thing humming, my interpretation of that is on a 'Bama/Clemson style level of recruiting blue chips and being as talented and well coached AF moving forward. If that is the goal, then what does a 2 loss season to the Okie teams look like in terms of us getting on THAT kind of trend line as a program? Because to me, it's going to be another case of "Well that's ok, guess there's always next year." Going into year 5. Meanwhile, we're getting OU at the worst point in years. New QB, lots of missing players, etc. Next year, we'll be breaking in a new QB and still have questions on OL. So hardly a gimme we'll skull fuck OU then, either. Then you're in year 6. Then the narrative of Herman and our program really get louder. Now, walking that out, tell me that my concerns about our positioning are completely unfounded.

If you compare me to Satya again I'm going to risk covid to fly to North Carolina and let the entire surrounding areas know that you have 9 STD's, including a case of genital warts so egregious that even doctors blanch when they have to treat you. Then you and Satya will be the ones with something in common as heavy masturbation during daily cry sessions will be all you get, sir. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As for offense, I think we’ll be good even if our OL isn’t great, but the OL performance is definitely still a huge point of concern. We need to see a big jump in pass pro and mental play form Angilau and there was no jump on Saturday. C. jones also looked very green, and I’m sure Hookfin will to if he starts. Okafor was very solid at Guard though, Cosmi was elite as always, and Kerstetter did pretty well other than the penalties (though the one on the RoJo One was questionable).

Copycat.

Edited by Katfid54

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

tenor.gif

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, are you asking him if all OTs look alike to him? Because I mean, that seems like a dicey proposition at best. 

Game thread?

tenor.gif?itemid=8593951

The beauty about citing to a game thread is that I know he’d never actually check because what kind of sick fuck would actually do that to himself? 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

299-C246-B-D9-F7-427-F-9215-48-D37-DD5-C

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting