Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

On 9/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-football-Jaylon-Guilbeau-recruiting-Tom-Herman-Longhorns-151704557/

Wiltfong: Texas off an running in 2022, Jaylon Guilbeau the latest commit

Hide contents

New Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau keeps the Longhorns rolling in the 2022 cycle as the nation’s No. 8 cornerback in the Top247 joins the No. 1 overall prospect in Quinn Ewers and four-star receiver Phaizon Wilson as early pledges for Tom Herman and his staff.

All three look like instant impact contributors when they arrive in Austin a couple years down the road, particularly the 5-foot-11, 175-pound Guilbeau, who plays his high school ball at Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial and his 7-on-7 with powerhouse Fast Houston.

“A guy that can play immediately,” Fast Houston founder Ro Simon said. “He’ll be able to come in and make an impact right away at nickel. He’s aggressive. He can play outside, he has the speed, has great footwork, has great mechanics.

“I think the guy has a high ceiling as a defensive back.”

The Top247 tabs Guilbeau as the nation’s No. 57 prospect overall.

“His work ethic, it’s his junior year of high school and he looks like a junior in college,” Simon said. “With that being said, he spends a lot of time in the weight room. I give him an A plus in that category.”

Simon also gives Texas cornerbacks coach Jay Valai an A plus in his efforts of recruiting Guillbeau who's offer list also included Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M and USC.

“He comes from a background where he was a trainer in Dallas a couple years ago,” Simon said. “He has the energy. They did a great job recruiting Jaylon the past eight months.”

The Longhorns have recruited at a high level under Tom Herman including three-straight Top10 classes from 2018 to 2020. They currently sit No. 15 in 2021 and are now at No. 4 in 2022.

“They’re going to be a National Championship contender over the next season or two with those guys Herman is bringing in and the new coaches he hired,” Simon said. “I think there is a new energy there and with the talent they’ve had the last few classes they’re going to compete with the Alabamas and the Clemsons. They have the talent.”

Who else could Texas land from Fast Houston? Simon says the Longhorns are doing well with the country’s No. 4 running back in 2022 in Jaydon Blue.

Stan Drayton is doing a good job in trying to secure him,” Simon said.

Guilbeau and Ewers have already been invited to cap their high school careers in the All-American Bowl.

Guilbeau has some huge variances in his composite vs 247 (144 vs 57)

Rivals has him at 177 in the country, ESPN has him at 233

48 minutes ago, NoName said:

Guilbeau has some huge variances in his composite vs 247 (144 vs 57)

Rivals has him at 177 in the country, ESPN has him at 233

There's actually a reason for this beyond "lol 9.95ers" - good football player with mediocre testing numbers (from what was apparently an all-timer of an across the board bad testing day, but whatever) means individual guys can have wildly different projections. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

NSIAP

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylen-Thompson-46081271/

That is a fuuuuuuuuuuuuun hudl. Ty Jordan, reimagined

Is this guy an RB2 target behind Blue/Jones? Agree that the Hudl looks pretty good against what appears to be decent competition. Size isn't ideal. Offer list is weird and all over the place.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Is this guy an RB2 target behind Blue/Jones? Agree that the Hudl looks pretty good against what appears to be decent competition. Size isn't ideal. Offer list is weird and all over the place.

RB2 if we land Blue but Jones decides to go elsewhere, or vice versa. Jones is good enough to be a RB1 for most schools in the country, so convincing him to be in a 2 back class could be tough. Thompson is a backup plan if we don't land both of Blue and Jones (and he may even be behind other backs, not sure of priorities after 1 and 2)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

RB2 if we land Blue but Jones decides to go elsewhere, or vice versa. Jones is good enough to be a RB1 for most schools in the country, so convincing him to be in a 2 back class could be tough. Thompson is a backup plan if we don't land both of Blue and Jones (and he may even be behind other backs, not sure of priorities after 1 and 2)

I would think the names would be reversed in regards to who wouldn't want to be in a a 2 RB class. Anyways if you win it marks the sell easier. 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Five 2022 players Texas is in good standing with

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Five 2022 players Texas is in good standing with

MikeRoach

Four-star Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau committed to Texas. Since we were sitting on the commitment for a while and received short notice on the actual announcement, I didn’t have a “Who’s next” written. It’s still early in the cycle to see exactly how the dominoes would fall, but I decided to put a new spin on a traditional article. In tonight’s edition of Mike at Night, I’ll list the five 2022 prospects I think Texas is in the best spot with as of today.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein (Texas) Cain

We continue to hear strong feedback about the top runner in the state and his relationship with Stan Drayton. He’s also got a good relationship with the commits in the class including new commit Jaylon Guilbeau who plays with Blue on Fast 7v7. LSU and Alabama will also prove to be tough competitors, but Texas stands at the top in my estimation. I don’t see Blue in any type of hurry to make a decision, but I believe Texas will stay in his top group until that time.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Texas)

There was a time where I thought Winfield could be the next to commit. While that didn’t happen, I still think Texas looks strong for the four-star receiver. Winfield continues to talk up Texas A&M and Oklahoma, and Arizona State is another school making some noise within this recruitment. Winfield is discussing a spring commitment, but it wouldn’t be a big surprise to see one happen earlier than that.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

The big man stays pretty quiet, but Texas opened up a lead in this recruitment after making an early offer. LSU and Oklahoma are the other schools I’ve heard mentioned for Campbell, but the Longhorns are the most constant for the five-star offensive lineman. Campbell doesn’t have a stated timeline for a commitment, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him make a commitment at any time.

CB Isaac Thompson, Saint Louis (MO.) St. Louis University

I recently put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction for Texas in the race for Thompson. The Midwest native hasn’t been shy about showing his love for Texas. Jay Valai has been all over Thompson and a number of other defensive back targets. The Texas staff will have a myriad of options in the secondary, and Thompson has the versatility to play a few different positions.

S Chace Biddle, Garland (Texas)

Biddle isn’t quite as vocal as he previously was about Texas being in the lead position but he’s starting to enjoy the recruitment process a bit and play the game. The four-star safety is looking hard at Texas A&M and Oklahoma and Clemson has been coming around as well. Texas was the first program to offer Biddle and the staff has been all over him early on. I still believe Texas is at the top here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Texas one of the schools standing out for 2022 DT Bear Alexander

Spoiler

Texas one of the schools standing out for 2022 DT Bear Alexander

MikeRoach

Bear Alexander is back playing varsity football.

After sitting out last year at Skyline following a transfer, Alexander moved on again and is eligible at Denton Ryan. Now playing with a talented cast including Texas commits Ja’Tavion Sanders and Billy Bowman, Alexander is happy to just be another cog in the machine.

“Just being out there with those guys knowing their mentality is just to win feels great,” he said. “I’m excited because those guys know ball as well as the coaches do. If I’m taking on a double team, I know that’s going to leave Ja’Tavion to run loose, and who wants to leave that guy free?”

Alexander has been busy fielding calls from all of the colleges recruiting him. Texas is one of those schools, and with two teammates as commits, the Longhorns are turning up the heat on Alexander.

“I’m talking to everybody right now,” he said. “Two of my teammates are committed to Texas so they are after it, and they are trying to land me as a third guy.”

Alexander speaks often with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles, and the two are connecting on many levels.

“Me and coach Giles talk pretty much every day,” Alexander said. “He sends me a Bible scripture each day and we pretty much go from there. We talk on the phone once a week and he gets me on the phone with coach Herman as much as he can. He’s a godly man and we have a good relationship.”

Recently, Alexander tweeted that he might be close to a commitment. After thinking it over, he’s decided to take his time with the process and focus on what is important to him.

“I’m going to take my time,” he said. “It’s about the education, and who has my best interest. I want to come in and play right away. As 2022’s we have a big opportunity with the personal brand deal, so I want to come in and do something special with that. For the most part, that’s what every school is pushing on a recruit.”

At 6-foot-3, 325 pounds, Alexander is ranked as the No. 10 defensive tackle in the country and No. 22 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Getting PJ more than likely gets Donovan Green and Harold Perkins.

Didn't a fee on hete say a while back his film was underwhelming?

I don’t know, but most sites say he’s a Stud. IT said he was the most upside rich player on Dickinson, and they have the best TE in the nation on their roster. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t know, but most sites say he’s a Stud. IT said he was the most upside rich player on Dickinson, and they have the best TE in the nation on their roster. 

I think Sydney is correct here; I recall someone making disparaging comments about him, but the 9.95s have all been damn near effusive in their praise.  He definitely sounds like a very desirable addition to the recruiting class on his own merits.

Getting PJ more than likely gets Donovan Green and Harold Perkins.
Didn't a fee on hete say a while back his film was underwhelming?

GC doesn’t love him. But I bet he likes PJ more than the kids we’re offering from little
sisters of the poor.

Measurables are his upside, no doubt. It’s an NFL body
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting