Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:

who remembers when carl told u pj & the cb from cali had joined the gc?that was several days b4 i got kicked

no cap  i was the best insider ever no kizzy i will be back on my ish soon im workin my way back 

I for one like how he speaks in code so nobody will ever figure this ish out. 

image.jpeg.ffa701ecbd376b276e0db6fa28802abb.jpeg

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Sorting through the 2022 defensive back targets

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Sorting through the 2022 defensive back targets

MikeRoach

The Longhorns could be set for a big year in 2022 if everything aligns correctly. The new staff is recruiting well on defense and the Longhorns are off to a fast start with three Top247 prospects in that class. If Texas takes care of business on the field this season, the sky is the limit for how well they can recruit.

The defensive back class could be really special if plays out the way the staff wants, and Jay Valai and Chris Ash might be faced with some tough decisions. Numbers are always going to be taken into consideration, but there’s a fine line to walk when it comes to hypothetically turning down one prospect to make room for another.

Nothing is ever a given in recruiting, and a bird in the hand is often worth two in the bush. Having talked to a few sources and piecing things together on my own, here is the best look at the board I can provide right now.

Cornerback

Jaylon Guilbeau is already on board. The prize in state is North Shore’s Denver Harris. The five-star prospect is one of the most important prospects on the board and a huge priority for Jay Valai. Outside of Harris, the picture has a big time national flavor. Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei five-star cornerback Domani Jackson, Lafayette (LA.) Acadiana four-star cornerback Laterrance Welch, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic cornerback Jaeden Gould and Broken Arrow (Okla.) four-star cornerback Maurion Horn are all guys I believe Texas would take at this point.

Texas is also still keeping in contact with West Chester (Ohio) Lakota West cornerback Jyaire Brown who is currently committed to Ohio State. Katy cornerback Bobby Taylor is likely a guy Texas might come back to if they miss on a number of primary targets. Denton Ryan’s Austin Jordan is a guy Texas likes, but I believe they want to see more of his junior season before he becomes an automatic take.

Four-star Saint Louis (Mo.) University defensive back Isaac Thompson is likely a take as well, but he would probably be applied to another position due to his versatility. Plano (Texas) John Paul II cornerback Terrance Brooks would likely be looked at as a safety or nickel as well.

Spur

The spur position functions as the traditional nickel in Chris Ash’s defense. Thompson and Brooks could both fit this position because of the versatility and experience at the cornerback position. I believe both would be takes at this point and both are being treated as priorities. Brooks has been getting heavy contact from Chris Ash, and Texas is recruiting him as if they feel he is an elite prospect. There’s a reason Brooks has been getting so much attention, and his junior season will show he can really play.

Austin Jordan could also fit into this role depending on if he can show some versatility and fluidity in his game this season.

Safety

The picture at safety looks a lot like cornerback. There are a few in-state priorities and a wealth of out of state targets. Brooks could fit as an in-state safety along with four-star Garland (Texas) safety Chace Biddle. Argyle Liberty Christian’s four-star safety Cristian Driver and Lexington (Texas) safety Jarred Kerr round out the list of guys at the position I believe Texas would take right now.

The staff will stay in communication with committed prospects Bryce Anderson and Bryan Allen Jr, but there hasn’t been much movement on that front. Landon Hullaby also holds an offer, and I believe the staff would like to see more out of him this year since his film is somewhat limited.

On the national front, there are a multitude of prospects they like, but Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy Kamari Wilson, Las Vegas (NV) Bishop Gorman safety Zion Branch and Chatsworth (Calif.) Sierra Canyon Kamari Ramsey are all prospects I believe Texas would take right now.

The bottom line is that numbers are going to be a factor and some decisions will be made, but first come, first serve is certainly on the table for a bunch of guys in this class.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Q&A following the Roach 2022 DB targets post (above).

Meme Cockroach GIF by MOODMAN

image.thumb.png.738ec1674e14f7c372cb5a92f9090402.png

image.thumb.png.a758eb48adf8aa0f0dfd7001626e6e17.png

image.thumb.png.4b3ce57053aa1b58bc281aea6ee98698.png

image.thumb.png.fbabfc8327af0250129899fa482bd2c6.png

image.thumb.png.67a49a58ca601a07aac56c4f68659474.png

image.thumb.png.bc375b2972fda1bae452b6294baee5a0.png

image.thumb.png.d4d76ec1f215ecdfd079c5145f84f0f3.png

IT has a similar article/thread going on

It'll be interesting see what happens here. First thing will be to see whether or not we take a 5th DB in 2021. If we do, I think you're looking at a 5 DB class for 2022, and if we don't, then I think that gets bumped to 6 

13 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I like Hullaby a lot. As always, disclaimer being I don't know shit about fuck.

And here I thought I was that guy.  If Mukuba opts for cow college as expected, fuck it- sign 7 for 2022.  3 CBS, a Spur and 3 safeties.  But that's only if Jackson wants in the class, otherwise sign 6.  

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

IT has a similar article/thread going on

It'll be interesting see what happens here. First thing will be to see whether or not we take a 5th DB in 2021. If we do, I think you're looking at a 5 DB class for 2022, and if we don't, then I think that gets bumped to 6 

I don't think they take Guilbeau this early if they planned on 5. My guess is 6 regardless with best available DB filling the 6th. The problem next cycle is corner. After Harris, your only real corners are OOS, unless there's a late riser stud or the Clear Lake kid blows up. 

If it was up to me (it's not), you take two of Biddle, Kerr, Hullaby, or a flip from LSU, then sit on the "corners" until things are clearer with Jackson and Gould. Then, ideally, you complete the class with Harris, one of Jackson or Gould (and if you can't land one, then Brooks), and the best available in that first group. My class would be Guilbeau, Harris, Hullaby, Biddle, Jackson/Gould/Brooks, Kerr/Brooks. Ideally. 

8 minutes ago, cafe society said:

And here I thought I was that guy.  If Mukuba opts for cow college as expected, fuck it- sign 7 for 2022.  3 CBS, a Spur and 3 safeties.  But that's only if Jackson wants in the class, otherwise sign 6.  

Signing seven DBs (none of whom are Overshown "DB" types) is Jimbo type of roster management 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't think they take Guilbeau this early if they planned on 5. My guess is 6 regardless with best available DB filling the 6th. The problem next cycle is corner. After Harris, your only real corners are OOS, unless there's a late riser stud or the Clear Lake kid blows up. 

If it was up to me (it's not), you take two of Biddle, Kerr, Hullaby, or a flip from LSU, then sit on the "corners" until things are clearer with Jackson and Gould. Then, ideally, you complete the class with Harris, one of Jackson or Gould (and if you can't land one, then Brooks), and the best available in that first group. My class would be Guilbeau, Harris, Hullaby, Biddle, Jackson/Gould/Brooks, Kerr/Brooks. Ideally. 

I agree, and I'd throw Wilson in as an ideal take at S as well. The staff seems pretty high on Thompson (or at least he is showing a lot of love back). I don't mind Thompson as a take, especially because I think he has the frame of a possible spin down to linebacker in the way that Overshown has done and Foster should be doing. 

Ideally, I'd take: Guilbeau, Harris, Jackson, Biddle, Wilson, Gould/Hullaby/Kerr, and Thompson as a possible backer spin down.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Roach leaving off Hullaby is gross

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I like Hullaby a lot. As always, disclaimer being I don't know shit about fuck.

Roach leaving Hullaby off is patently absurd. Even if his brother hadn't come in to camp and become the poster-child for buy-in to the Herman culture, which he has, Landon is a rangy DB with an excellent frame that provides positional flexibility and competes with top-tier guys constantly while training. It's funny that Roach claims to know how the Texas coaches feel about Isaac Thompson while at the same time saying that he thinks that they'd take Kerr/Driver but want to see more from Hullaby. Hell, if there was anyone on the list that would warrant a further look, it would be Cristian Driver. He has the genetics and he's had all the training. He's got a good frame but he simply does not run well and I doubt he's going to gain a ton over what his training has been. 12.58 in the 100m and 7.51 in the 60 as a JR and a 21'5" LJ are pedestrian numbers - for a LB. Comparison Gbenda 11.06. Blackwell .11.86. Biddle 10.7. Kerr 11.66. FFS, Hullaby ran a 12.17 in middle school

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Roach leaving Hullaby off is patently absurd. Even if his brother hadn't come in to camp and become the poster-child for buy-in to the Herman culture, which he has, Landon is a rangy DB with an excellent frame that provides positional flexibility and competes with top-tier guys constantly while training. It's funny that Roach claims to know how the Texas coaches feel about Isaac Thompson while at the same time saying that he thinks that they'd take Kerr/Driver but want to see more from Hullaby. Hell, if there was anyone on the list that would warrant a further look, it would be Cristian Driver. He has the genetics and he's had all the training. He's got a good frame but he simply does not run well and I doubt he's going to gain a ton over what his training has been. 12.58 in the 100m and 7.51 in the 60 as a JR and a 21'5" LJ are pedestrian numbers - for a LB. Comparison Gbenda 11.06. Blackwell .11.86. Biddle 10.7. Kerr 11.66. FFS, Hullaby ran a 12.17 in middle school

Gerry went and saw him today at Argyle and Driver doubled down on being a receiver. He will not end up in this class.

If Ash and Valai think Thompson is a corner, he'd better be no higher than 4th on the board. I don't see it. I don't think he's a linebacker, but Spur feels like a fit. Not more of a fit than others on the safety board, though. Maybe his mental eval is good. 

Kerr is almost too versatile to find a permanent position and playing time, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry went and saw him today at Argyle and Driver doubled down on being a receiver. He will not end up in this class.

Honestly it's probably in his best interest. If he can run really good routes and has a good head for sitting into holes in zone he can contribute. I don't think he has enough athleticism to play P5 defense. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If Ash and Valai think Thompson is a corner, he'd better be no higher than 4th on the board. I don't see it. I don't think he's a linebacker, but Spur feels like a fit. Not more of a fit than others on the safety board, though. Maybe his mental eval is good. 

Kerr is almost too versatile to find a permanent position and playing time, imo. 

I do think I read somewhere that Thompson is supposed to be a really quality kid - hard worker, good grades, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think Herman taking 2-3 transfers every year makes it tough to overload positions now (like taking 11 real DBs over two classes) 

We'll probably have to take a kicker in 2022. Might have to take 5 WRs if we land who we want. Maybe two RBs if a second stud wants in after Blue. We'll aim to take a full class at DL/EDGE and OL. 

Maybe I'm wrong and they'll have a 6th DB in the best player available mold. Or maybe they don't take a 5th in 2021, and this is moot. 

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Herman taking 2-3 transfers every year makes it tough to overload positions now (like taking 11 real DBs over two classes) 

We'll probably have to take a kicker in 2022. Might have to take 5 WRs if we land who we want. Maybe two RBs if a second stud wants in after Blue. We'll aim to take a full class at DL/EDGE and OL. 

Maybe I'm wrong and they'll have a 6th DB in the best player available mold. Or maybe they don't take a 5th in 2021, and this is moot. 

What's the max, Fud? 28?

Edit to add: This has been my rough assumption

QB 1
RB 2
WR 5
OL 5
TE 1
DL 5
LB 2
DB 6
Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also of note the guy on Horns247 that says that Isaac Thompson's film is meh -- he's a freaking Soph and he appears to be bigger/faster/stronger than any of the other DBs or WRs. He's clearly got a good frame and shows nice lateral quickness and excellent balance. He plays CB, FS, and WR and he has NO technique right now. It's far better than Bobby Taylor who didn't start all year at Katy. Honestly, this isn't like watching a kid coming from DallasHoustonSuburbanSchoolX with an added 10 years of 7on7 with professional coaching along with 6-8 years of strength and agility trainers. Also, his 38" vert and 9'8" broad jump speak to an explosive athlete with good core strength.

It seems very much like the guys that are being targeted have a lot of positional flexibility and Thompson clearly does. I could see him at CB, Spur, or FS. I keep saying it with the guys that they are targeting but he very much reminds me of Akina targets. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Also of note the guy on Horns247 that says that Isaac Thompson's film is meh -- he's a freaking Soph and he appears to be bigger/faster/stronger than any of the other DBs or WRs. He's clearly got a good frame and shows nice lateral quickness and excellent balance. He plays CB, FS, and WR and he has NO technique right now. It's far better than Bobby Taylor who didn't start all year at Katy. Honestly, this isn't like watching a kid coming from DallasHoustonSuburbanSchoolX with an added 10 years of 7on7 with professional coaching along with 6-8 years of strength and agility trainers. Also, his 38" vert and 9'8" broad jump speak to an explosive athlete with good core strength.

Nothing like Texas based keyboard analysts evaluating St Louis/SoFla kids. It's such a different environment.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eric Nahlin: Sifting through 2022 DB options

Probably the most difficult task when it comes to 2022 recruiting is figuring out who should be the priority targets in the class. The staff certainly won’t lack for options, at least at safety and spur. They will very likely need to keep pounding the pavement in search of elite corner options. One thing I’m noticing with the networks is they seem to cast a lot of defensive backs as corners when many of them are clearly not going to remain at corner, either because of lack of explosiveness or frame projection, or both.

It’s starting to mirror what I’ve written about strong-side defensive ends being interior players more often than not. If you can’t project accurately, it makes it harder to build your class to fit long-term needs. It makes it harder to accurately rank players, too, but that’s not nearly as important.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX)
Fit: Hailed as a cornerback, I see him more as a guy who provides value as a general defensive back with starter upside at spur. Guilbeau sets a sturdy floor.

UT’s chances: Already committed.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX)
Fit: Lead corner.

UT’s chances: Very good, though LSU looms. He also mentions Ohio State and Alabama but proximity is a genuine concern.

Eric’s Priority Level: 10

DB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX)
Fit: Could emerge as a quality starter at any position in the defensive backfield. Has potential as a corner which should be explored first, but could become a dynamite spur. Safety, which he played last year for the first time, might be the most likely but he has significant upside there in Ash’s scheme.

UT’s chances: Probably the quiet leader. He’s a Texas A&M legacy but I don’t think he’ll end up in Aggieland. He would have been LSU’s to lose but they went quiet after offering.

EPL: 8.5, but only because I want to see junior film and gauge interest from players committed elsewhere. Could become a 10 EPL depending on flipability of others or if I feel like he can be a good starting corner.

DB Chace Biddle, Garland (Garland, TX)
Fit: He‘s going to be in the 10.5 100m range as a senior sprinter. I want that speed at field safety.

UT’s chances: Very good, Texas is the favorite.

EPL: 8, same reasons as Brooks. He’s raw, but he adds a level of athleticism the position will be missing by the time he gets to campus. He could become a 10 EPL.

DB Isaac Thompson, St. Louis University (St. Louis, MO)
Fit: He’s listed as a corner but that looks to be a reach on tape. He doesn’t appear to be the athlete Biddle or Brooks are. If they’re sure he’s a corner that would change everything.

UT’s chances: Good, UT is the leader.

EPL: 4, but I don’t have anywhere near the same level of familiarity the coaches do. I would definitely wait to push, though. Looking forward to junior tape.

DB Landon Hullaby, Timberview (Mansfield, TX)
Fit: Given Ash wants the spur to have some size to him, Hullaby could be fantastic in that role. Despite his sturdy build, he’s very fluid with good feet. Safety is also possible and will LB is as well.

UT’s chances: Good, his brother is on the team.

EPL: 7.5. I’d prefer to wait on junior film, but if he wanted to commit right now I’d take him (personally). Gerry said he’s in on that action, too.

DB Jarred Kerr, Lexington (Lexington, TX)
Fit: Kerr could play either field or boundary safety, with spur being a possibility because of his change of direction.

UT’s chances: Solid, but I’d watch the Aggies and national schools as well. I expect him to be a big priority for the Ags.

EPL: 7. I have him behind Brooks and Biddle, but Kerr could emerge as an athlete take even if those two are in the class.

DB Bryan Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX)
Fit: Field safety. He reminds me of Michael Huff.

UT’s chances: Not good. He’s committed to LSU but if you’re Texas you have to keep trying given the potential short-term trajectories of each school.

EPL: 10. If he’s 100% solid to LSU, then push for Biddle.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX)
Fit: Safety or spur.

UT‘s chances: Same deal with Allen. He’s committed to LSU but did like Texas early on. PJ Locke is a cousin of his.

EPL: 9. If he’s 100% solid to LSU, then push for Brooks.

DB Austin Jordan, Ryan (Denton, TX)
Fit: Listed as a corner but there’s very little chance he stays there. He is explosive in a straight line. He’d be best utilized at boundary safety in the Ash scheme. He’s a safety in college. Book it.

UT’s chances: Good if the staff presses.

EPL: 3. Don’t get me wrong, he’d be a Texas take in the 2021 cycle or even in 2022 if I felt he could stick at corner.

DB Jaeden Gould, Bergen Catholic (Bergen, NJ)
Fit: I think he’s going to be a corner-turned-safety but it’s too early to tell. He missed his sophomore year.

UT’s chances: Solid, even though he lives in A&M’s recruiting territory, Ash and Jay Valai are very familiar with him from their time at Rutgers.

EPL: TBD. I don’t want to take a hard stance. I’m sure Ash and Valai saw him at a camp and will know what to do.

CB Domani Jackson, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)
Fit: Apparently he’s a real corner but I haven’t watched his tape.

UT’s chances: Revisit if he visits.

EPL: 10. They need corners in the class so you entertain the range from 5-10 and get the best ones you can.

#####

The plan for the next few months should be to recruit these guys hard and to let junior film filter them. Texas shouldn’t be in a big rush to take commitments, but the staff should be working overtime to recruit these guys. It’s important to keep in mind, more options will emerge, and they’ll need them to at corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

DB Bryan Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX)
Fit: Field safety. He reminds me of Michael Huff.

Fucking Nahlin. 

Huff ran a fucking 10.13 and was elite in just about every way a human can be elite as an athlete. No one reminds you of Huff. If they did it's not a guy that runs 11.27. Again, Gbenda is a LB and ran an 11.07. 

4.74 40 -- 4.43 shuttle - 32" vertical  at 5'11" 178

Huff is an old man and would absolutely crush those numbers right now. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting