Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

17 hours ago, Thiefery said:

In Caleb's defense.. he was always leaning toward playing OOS.  He had some quotes..might have still been around the EJ days, that he was ready to experience something different. 

seems to me a skilled recruiter could make the case that growing up in Del Valle and attending college in Austin are pretty different

but I'm not in MENSA

4 hours ago, NoName said:

The Athletic: Putting Ohio State’s recruiting dominance in Texas into perspective

Hide contents

Putting Ohio State’s recruiting dominance in Texas into perspective

GettyImages-1229388606-1024x683.jpg
By Ari Wasserman Nov 23, 2020 comment-icon.png 23 save-icon.png

Tom Herman was hired at Texas a few months before the 2017 recruiting class signed, but his nightmare had already started: Another program came into his talent-rich state and took three of the most coveted players away. Herman’s program should be the one — when things are humming — that is the natural landing spot for these elite-level prospects.

Herman was familiar with the program that had infiltrated his state, too. He helped it win a national title a few years earlier. And ironically, he was instrumental in starting the Texas-to-Ohio pipeline while an assistant under Urban Meyer from 2012-14.

You can’t blame Herman for what occurred in 2017, when Ohio State signed five-star cornerback Jeff Okudah of South Grand Prairie High, five-star linebacker Baron Browning of Kennedale High and four-star all-purpose back J.K. Dobbins of La Grange High (also a top-50 national prospect). He had, after all, not been on the job long enough to form any kind of relationship with those players.

But you can blame him that the 2017 class was not merely a blip on the radar. It’s still happening more than four years later.

On Monday evening, Ohio State earned a commitment from Class of 2022 five-star receiver Caleb Burton of Del Valle High — less than a week removed from the Buckeyes landing five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake Carroll, the No. 2 overall player and the No. 1 quarterback in the 2022 class. Ewers was once committed to Texas, but he broke his pledge to the Longhorns less than a month ago before ultimately committing to Ryan Day and the Buckeyes. The second Ewers decommitted from Texas, Ohio State became the clear favorite to land him.

So let’s do the math here: Since 2017, Ohio State has landed seven five-star prospects out of Texas, and that doesn’t include Dobbins, who was a high four-star and the No. 46 overall player in the class. During that same span, Texas has landed only four five-star prospects in its own state.

OSU vs. UT, 5-stars from Texas since 2017

Quinn Ewers
QB
Caleb Burton
WR
Donovan Jackson
OG
Ja'Tavion Sanders
ATH
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
WR
Garrett Wilson
WR
Jordan Whittington
ATH
Cade Sterns
S
B.J. Foster
S
Jeff Okudah
CB
Baron Browning
OLB

If you want a reason Texas isn’t “back,” this would be a good place to start.

Yes, it’s unreasonable to expect Herman to dominate his state in the same manner as other coaches at prominent state schools because Texas is an extremely difficult place to recruit. It’s an enormous state geographically, and given the depth of talent, Texas couldn’t possibly land close to all of the top players. Also, there are multiple Power 5 schools in the state — including TCU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Baylor — and every SEC powerhouse recruits Texas as well.

So does Ohio State, clearly.

But patterns like this? They are troublesome for Herman, especially when you’re talking about a prospect such as Ewers — a program-altering, homegrown quarterback who could be the missing link between middling around in the Big 12 and actually winning the conference, and, dare to dream, even more.

Day and his receivers coach, Brian Hartline, deserve a ton of credit for these recruiting wins. Here’s an attempt to explain just how much talent they are accumulating (and it sounds like hyperbole, though it isn’t). If you were to take only the receiver and quarterback talent the Buckeyes have either signed or have committed from 2019-22, it would be enough to prop up multiple other conferences. You read that right — conferences, not teams.

Let’s put that to the test. Each team gets two:

• Jack Miller and Jaxon Smith-Njigba

• CJ Stroud and Julian Fleming

• Kyle McCord and Caleb Burton

• Quinn Ewers and Garrett Wilson

There are the quarterback and receiver building blocks for at least four teams that could eventually lead to a conference championship. Four of the eight players listed above are from Texas. That is downright absurd.

The main reason Ohio State is an annual national title contender is how much pure talent it amasses. You may think, “Well, half of those players are going to transfer in the next few years.” Maybe so, but that means Ohio State’s 2022 roster will comprise the best versions of these elite-level prospects, all while keeping the leftovers off of a potential rival’s roster — for a few years at least. It’s pretty remarkable.

There’s no telling what the future holds for Herman, who, in fairness, has “Crystal Ball” predictions on 247Sports for two other five-star prospects in Texas in the 2022 class. But one thing is certain: It’s hard to imagine the Longhorns as a legitimate national title contender until this trend changes.

It’s truly incredible what Ohio State is doing in the Lone Star State.

It’s also very concerning for Herman and Texas.

(Photo of Garrett Wilson: Scott Taetsch / Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh.png
MEH
rating-solid.png
SOLID
rating-awesome.png
AWESOME
HS_Square_0004_20200227Wasserman-Ari0235_bw.jpg
Ari Wasserman is a senior writer for The Athletic, covering college football and recruiting nationally. He previously spent 10 years covering Ohio State for The Athletic and Cleveland.com, starting on the Buckeyes beat in 2009. Follow Ari on Twitter @AriWasserman.

Thanks for posting.   Depressing read.

17 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Two more picks for Armani to tOSU, followed by Caleb Burton saying he's bringing the Texas players to tOSU

It's really hard to just sit by and watch this shit, knowing we could have given some of these guys some pause had we just made the right move weeks ago. Two seasons from now we're playing Bama and tOSU for two seasons. That could be make or break for this program. We're already behind the 8 ball. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I guess these days players and their parents all believe the NFL is a done deal.  I would rather take my chances staying in Texas and making a name that will earn me a living for 50 years after my (Not For Long ) career is over.  Whatever, there may be some very good steel mills in Youngstown and Cleveland that need tool pushers.  

• Haha 3

Program is royally fucked right now. It’s too late to salvage the 21 class and the 22 class at best have a fraction of the talent it should have had.  

And really all it took was Herman either not being a fucking retard vs TCU and a pussy vs OU or DelConte doing his fucking job when it mattered.

A big 12 championship appearance or win won’t mean shit this year, and the new coach is going to be hired wayyyyyyy too late to save these classes. I really don’t even think hiring the best coach available right now is enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Program is royally fucked right now. It’s too late to salvage the 21 class and the 22 class at best have a fraction of the talent it should have had.  
And really all it took was Herman either not being a fucking retard vs TCU and a pussy vs OU or DelConte doing his fucking job when it mattered.
A big 12 championship appearance or win won’t mean shit this year, and the new coach is going to be hired wayyyyyyy too late to save these classes. I really don’t even think hiring the best coach available right now is enough. 
And now that we've waited so long, there's probably very little chance of getting the Texas 2022 recruits back in the fold. tOSU has all the momentum and is building the cohesion that Tommy should have been building around Ewers when he had the chance.

There will be players in the transfer markets. We're assuming all these guys pan out and stick with tOSU despite competition, distance, remain injury free, no offensive players in the state of Ohio, a lot of what ifs and this season hasn't concluded.  While I'm all for kicking Herman in the teeth with his grill in, I'm also for waiting to see if Day actually wins something.  Wait and see what happens this year before losing our collective minds about a bunch of verbals from 16 year olds. 2022 players still haven't taken any trips or really gotten into the full swing of SEC recruiting.  A lot is going to change. Speaking of which, Phaizon better hurry up and commit to tOSU before they fill up.  I'll panic once the season ends and everything concludes and we find out if Urban Meyer is truly interested in Texas.

35 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

There will be players in the transfer markets. We're assuming all these guys pan out and stick with tOSU despite competition, distance, remain injury free, no offensive players in the state of Ohio, a lot of what ifs and this season hasn't concluded.  While I'm all for kicking Herman in the teeth with his grill in, I'm also for waiting to see if Day actually wins something.  Wait and see what happens this year before losing our collective minds about a bunch of verbals from 16 year olds. 2022 players still haven't taken any trips or really gotten into the full swing of SEC recruiting.  A lot is going to change. Speaking of which, Phaizon better hurry up and commit to tOSU before they fill up.  I'll panic once the season ends and everything concludes and we find out if Urban Meyer is truly interested in Texas.

So we will get the leftovers, guys who couldn’t make the grade at tOSU, Bama, etc?  Great.

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

(Gerry Hamilton) Recruiting Matters: Who is the "cool school"

When Mack Brown arrived to Texas in December of 1997 followed by the Rick Barnes hire in April of 1998, Longhorns athletics was primed for a successful run. Brown was inheriting a talented roster that included future Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams as well as upgraded facilities. Barnes was met with a similar scenario when hired with Cooley Pavilion opening in 2003.

The recruiting landscape in the state of Texas was completely different and much more inviting, there were similar opportunities. Texas A&M was successful under R.C. Slocum but not a juggernaut and Oklahoma was going through more downs than ups. That meant there was no “cool school” Mack Brown had to overcome for top prospects in the state.

What happened in Austin was Mack Brown maximized opportunity on the field in season one, and on the recruiting trail signed the No. 1 ranked recruiting class headlined by USA Today Offensive Player of the Year Chris Simms and Defensive Player of the Year Cory Redding. The Longhorns were instantly on the verge of becoming the “cool school” in football in the state and region. The “Big 3” followed in receivers Roy Williams, B.J. Johnson and Sloan Thomas, along with a number of massive recruiting wins within state lines despite failing to get over the hump on the field. It’s long been under appreciated what Chris Simms’ Letter of Intent meant for the school.

Despite not getting over the hump on the field while Simms was the quarterback, it was huge in recruiting several member of future Texas teams and brought national attention to the Longhorns. The not-too-distant signings of No. 1 overall prospect Vince Young and McDonald’s All-American point guard T.J. Ford, and the success that followed for each, cemented the University of Texas as the “cool school”.

Fast forward to today, and the question for the Texas football program is who is the cool school?

The good new for Texas fans is that cool school is not Oklahoma or Texas A&M. While Oklahoma has enjoyed great success with former Texas high school QB’s turned Heisman Trophy winners and college football playoff appearances, they are not the cool school with prospects. Similarly, Jimbo Fisher has the Aggies in the AP Poll top 5 and with a shot at the college football playoff, but kids within the state are not reacting to Texas A&M like they are going to become the cool school in recruiting.

The cool schools for prospects since Vince Young crossed the goal line to beat USC have been Oregon and Florida, followed by a trio of schools nationally — Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson. LSU is a cool school regionally, and at times nationally. Georgia sometimes finds their way into the cool school category, but that window will close if Kirby Smart continues to struggle to get over the hump. Oregon continues to be a school prospects mention romantically, but not the same level as when Chip Kelly peaked in Eugene.

Since the 2014 class, Alabama has signed eight top 20 ranked prospects in the state, including six top 10’s. Ohio State has signed six top 20 prospects, including five top ‘10’s. LSU has signed nine top 20’s, including six top 10’s. In the 2021 class thus far, Alabama, Ohio State, LSU and Clemson have all gained commitments that were/are top targets for the Longhorns.

Thus far in the 2022 class, Ohio State is riding a tidal wave of momentum and LSU has the top two domestic safeties on the commit list. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are holding serve for sure, but the early commitments and heavy leanings in the 2022 class reveals there is a place for a “cool school” to emerge in-state and close to home west of Baton Rouge.

The time is now to change the thoughts in the state of Texas. Texas football is finishing up another facility upgrade, Texas basketball is debuting a new arena in 2022 that will rival the nation’s best. The timing couldn’t be better for the powers that be to make Texas the “cool school” once again.

Edited by satyanash

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Day is 20-1.  How long do we have to wait to see if he can win?  Just curious. 

Edited by VABuckeye

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Little quick research suggests middle 50% of freshmen admitted to tOSU have SAT scores between 1270-1420. Same metric for UT is between 1230-1480.

This is the true mark of how far this program has fallen. We used to compare our academics to Stanford. Now we're comparing them to a bunch of mouthbreathing couchburners. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is the true mark of how far this program has fallen. We used to compare our academics to Stanford. Now we're comparing them to a bunch of mouthbreathing couchburners. 

Seems like many things about our program are couched in terms of “used to be” ...

Relevant is another.

tOSU has its rightful place among the football blue bloods / elite and also as a decent academic institution , but it shouldn’t have a place as a dominant recruiting force - whipping Texas for elite high school talent in this state. 

Strong and Herman have the been enablers.

The entire state of Ohio should give thanks for those two at their meal tomorrow. 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We ain’t come here to play school man. We don’t even have any Big 12 titles or CFP glory to at least offset the lower standards. CDC will right the ship though. It’s the only hope I have left. 

On 11/22/2020 at 9:13 AM, WinningIsHard said:

If the vaccine doesn’t come out and they cancel the 2021 season which results in us having Tom herman in 2022 I hope CTJ is real happy with himself for starting this abomination of a thread. Who would have thought Hermancipation could loosely mean ass fucking a blue blood program until raw. 

Just catching up here but, yeah, I am happy for starting this thread. I laugh everytime I see it. Now watching you handwringing over the title and also the premise of no 2021 season adds a special nuance that will age nicely. 

If Meyer takes the gig, this will be the greatest thread title of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Just catching up here but, yeah, I am happy for starting this thread. I laugh everytime I see it. Now watching you handwringing over the title and also the premise of no 2021 season adds a special nuance that will age nicely. 

If Meyer takes the gig, this will be the greatest thread title of all time. 

Slamming buds after we dogpile for the Astros thread imo. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting