Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Justin Wells) Recruiting: Nation's top 2022 prospect, Quinn Ewers, and Texas continue to build

When you're the nation's top ranked prospect for the Class of 2022, the attention can be overwhelming for most. Not Quinn Ewers. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound signal-caller from Southlake Carroll keeps it all in stride. When your first offer came in sixth grade - North Texas - it's hard to stay grounded. When you impress the Ohio State staff during an on-campus camp in eighth grade, it's normal to get caught up in the hype.

Not Ewers. The five-star quarterback was named the MaxPreps National Sophomore of the Year in 2019, Texas District 5-6A Overall MVP, Fort Worth Star-Telegram Male Athlete of the Year, and helped Southlake Carroll to a 13-1 record and a Texas 6A DI state quarterfinal appearance last season. When you rack up numbers like this; 4,003 yards in the air, 72% passing percentage, 45 touchdowns and three INTs, and 568 yards on the ground with nine scores, the accolades reign down from above. Not bad for a guy going into his junior campaign at a powerhouse like the Carroll Dragons.

But to hear Ewers tell it, you can see it hasn't gone to his head. That humble mentality is just another data point in his favor. "It's just crazy," said Ewers, of his newfound popularity. "My buddies talked about it growing up, then reality hits, and it's pretty exciting." With 29 offers, including Texas, OU, Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, and Georgia, this list is long and distinguished. And for good reason. At the moment, it appears UT, OU, and Ohio State are among his top schools. He dishes on each, starting in Norman.

"With OU, it's QB play, Lincoln Riley and the NFL Draft, good quarterback teacher, and crazy offensive atmosphere," said Ewers. Then over to Columbus. "At Ohio State, I like coach Day, Ohio State's success, and they are a smart staff about the quarterback position," Ewers said. What about the Longhorns, a team on his mind since childhood? "For Texas, I really like coach Yurcich a lot, and I love talking to Herman and Yurcich," Ewers explained. "Both know the quarterback spot, and Yurcich uses a few things from his Ohio State days really well. I've always been a fan of the Horns."

His head coach, Riley Dodge, a former Texas verbal pledge during his playing days, has seen some of the greats in this state over the years. "Quinn has a lot of God gifted abilities as a passer, but he’s always in balance he’s an outstanding athlete not just a thrower of the football," Dodge explained. "He is one of our Leaders this upcoming year. We will be very young, but he has 14 games under his belt and is the captain of the ship."

Ewers is effusive in the praise for his head coach. "Coach Dodge is fantastic," said Ewers. "He’ll throw during drills at times, and we’ll say “there’s the Gatorade POY”. We tease him and he’s great about it." For 2020, it's a season he's eager to start with his teammates. "My expectations are playing football, first," said Ewers. "Five new offensive linemen, we need work/reps/playing time, and I have all the faith in them. As a leader: I’ve got 14 games in (insert stats) in 2nd year. I’ve been through it already, I have their back and I know they’ll have my back."

Ewers recently started training with Bobby Stroupe at APEC, a training facility in Fort Worth and Tyler. Stroupe is known for training and developing some of the best athletes in the country, including helping mold Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes into the futuristic machine, who just signed the largest contract in American sports history with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"Quinn has some unique gifts but he isn’t resting on them," said Bobby Stroupe, owner of APEC. "In addition to having a special arm he is a good multidirectional mover as well. I’ve seen a kid that is seeking improvement as an athlete and a quarterback. He is improving rapidly and his ceiling is very high.

Ewers can already tell a difference and loves what Stroupe and APEC can offer. "It's just the way he makes me work my tail off and it works," Ewers said. "It's stuff you would never think about.” He has no idea about his decision timeline. When you're this ballyhooed, the scholarship offers aren't going anywhere. He'll have his pick of the country's best through National Signing Day in 2022.

It must be nice at the top, but you'd never know it speaking with the humble five-star prospect. Remember, he's just ready to go to work. He's got some unfinished business that needs his full attention.

• Hook 'Em 1

It will be interesting to see how the Ryan Day vs Lincoln Riley vs Tom Herman coaching success plays out over the next three years. Both Day and Riley were theoretically available when Texas picked Herman.

It would be yet another example of Texas not having the sports knowledge and expert network to select the best coaching candidate(s). Ewers could be an interesting data point in that race between the three.

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It will be interesting to see how the Ryan Day vs Lincoln Riley vs Tom Herman coaching success plays out over the next three years. Both Day and Riley were theoretically available when Texas picked Herman.

It would be yet another example of Texas not having the sports knowledge and expert network to select the best coaching candidate(s). Ewers could be an interesting data point in that race between the three.

I do think it's interesting to compare the 3 over the next few seasons. Riley and Herman have a leg up on Day in terms of having their own roster, but Day had a championship caliber team dropped in his lap where TH and Riley did not. That said, skewering Texas for not getting Day or Riley in lieu of Herman is revisionist history at best, beating off with your own tears at worst. 

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Jai Valai putting in work

https://247sports.com/Player/Isaac-Thompson-46058605/

4 of his last 10 tweets on his timeline are Texas RTs, and by the looks of the above, he came to visit yesterday...

Anybody watched his hudl?  How does he compare to the in-state guys?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I do think it's interesting to compare the 3 over the next few seasons. Riley and Herman have a leg up on Day in terms of having their own roster, but Day had a championship caliber team dropped in his lap where TH and Riley did not. That said, skewering Texas for not getting Day or Riley in lieu of Herman is revisionist history at best, beating off with your own tears at worst. 

Yup. 

1.  Riley was given a much better roster with much better talent.  With that said, he has completely elevated that program as far as their offense goes.  Being the coordinator under Stoops and taking over a team you already have your hands over is much easier.  He's dominated the Big 12 but gets butt fucked in the CFP every year.

2.  Day was given a national championship roster and had a 5 star QB fall into his lap.  He seems like a good coach and very good recruiter.  Hard to judge him when he's never had to build a program.  

3.  Herman was thought to be the next offensive guru.  His offenses at tOSU and UH were pretty fucking great.  He also was able to win and beat some very good coaches at UH with a much shittier roster.  He took over an absolute dumpster fire at Texas and has turned this roster over.  With that said, he's completely incapable of evaluating good assistant coaches or being able to come on board.  Let's see if his 2nd round of hires are better than his first.  He also turtles so much the minute we get a lead.  For an "offensive guru", he seems to play scared quite a bit.  It's quite clear he is not on the same level as Riley.  Hard to compare him to Day.  I'm not sure Day would do any better at Texas than Herman as there is not enough sample size of his work.

38 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I don't think he plays scared, I think we stall offensively because he wants to "impose our will" against are opponents. Yurcich seems to just want to attack the weaknesses of the defense over and over.  Run up the scoreboard.

Last years Iowa state game is a prime example of this.  We couldn’t run the ball what so ever.  We decided to throw and started moving the ball at will and took the lead.  Very next drive, we go back to 0 yard runs on every play.  He plays scared or wants to impose his will... whatever you want to call if.  We never can pull away in games. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not skewering Texas over their choice. They took the best “publicly obvious” candidate that even LSU also wanted.

What I’m referencing is that both Ohio State and OU secured lower profile coordinators for the head coaching job. Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day were all coordinators, not head coaches. The point is that those programs had a clear understanding of the really strong coaching candidates who were still under the radar. Texas hasn’t yet demonstrated that expertise. Or, they believe Herman was simply the better choice among those three. They may be right. That’s why I’m interested to see how this all plays out. I’m not as negative on Herman as others.

Ewers will be a very interesting data point. In my opinion if Texas performs this year as they should, it secures him.

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s not skewering Texas over their choice. They took the best “publicly obvious” candidate that even LSU also wanted.

What I’m referencing is that both Ohio State and OU secured lower profile coordinators for the head coaching job. Bob Stoops, Lincoln Riley and Ryan Day were all coordinators, not head coaches. The point is that those programs had a clear understanding of the really strong coaching candidates who were still under the radar. Texas hasn’t yet demonstrated that expertise. Or, they believe Herman was simply the better choice among those three. They may be right. That’s why I’m interested to see how this all plays out. I’m not as negative on Herman as others.

Ewers will be a very interesting data point. In my opinion if Texas performs this year as they should, it secures him.

I mean, it's not like Strong left us with a cabinet of excellent coordinators who knew the program and could seamlessly carry it forward. Those programs and hires powerfully benefited from already being well-built machines.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

For fuck's sake, those guys were already on their staffs (Riley and Day). The incumbents "retired"; they weren't fired. At that point, those coaches were much less of an unknown than hiring a proven head coach from a different program for those ADs. If Meyer retired in 2014, there's a damn good chance that Herman is OSU's head coach. Both of those situations speak more to athletic departments having their shit together being better than a dumpster fire. Really? Helluva take there. We should just do that. Do you also recommend we run the touchdown play?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

SIAP  ... seems relevant.

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Five-star Evan Stewart liking Texas early in his recruitment

Spoiler

Five-star Evan Stewart liking Texas early in his recruitment

NickHarris

CARROLLTON, Texas — Some of the state's best underclassmen made their way to Carrollton's A+D1 facility this past Saturday to compete in the Pylon 7-on-7 Lone Star Showdown.

Among the highlights, Frisco (Texas) Liberty composite five-star wide receiver Evan Stewart was in action for Team Flex after a big spring that saw him accumulate his total of offers to 26.

"It's pretty good," Stewart said about his recruitment. "I'm just trying to keep a straight head, keep getting better and grinding by training every day."

His upgrade to a five-star came after the recent round of rankings updates for the 2022 class as he helps lead a strong 2022 wide receiver class in the state of Texas.

"That's actually really big for me," he said. "That was like my main goal when I first started. I was trying my hardest and I just wanted that fifth star so people know that I do this."

His recruitment is wide open as he hasn't had a chance to visit any school aside from Baylor. Numerous schools around the country, including Texas, have treated Stewart to a virtual visit during the pandemic.

"I don't really have like a top schools," he said. "I just talk to whoever wants to talk."

Those talks have included Texas rather frequently as they stay in weekly contact with the budding star.

"I have a good relationship with Coach Jay [Valai] and Coach [Tom] Herman," Stewart said. "I've been talking to them almost daily. We just have normal conversations like we would have with friends or family and they just ask how I'm doing and ask about my pops."

Stewart would like to get on a multitude of visits whenever the emergency dead period is lifted as he hopes to get to all of the regional schools that have offered. He has been to Baylor and Texas for a track meet so he does have initial impressions of the campus and Austin.

"Definitely want to go to everywhere that's close to here," he said. "I haven't been on a real visit besides Baylor and Texas for track. I liked the atmosphere and I like the city.They're just Texas, it has a ring to it."

This recruitment will most likely develop as the NCAA lifts the emergency dead period and he can get out to all of the schools he is interested in. Texas will almost certainly be one of those visits as they sit in a pretty good position early on.

At 6-foot-0, 175 pounds, Stewart is the No. 34 ranked recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 5 wide receiver in the country and the No. 6 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s very Satya of ya. 

12 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I don't think he plays scared, I think we stall offensively because he wants to "impose our will" against are opponents. Yurcich seems to just want to attack the weaknesses of the defense over and over.  Run up the scoreboard.

From your lips to God’s ears.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Chace Biddle details Texas interest ahead of junior season

(Lulz at a high school junior saying this (about Valai) 🙂 "He reminds me of myself, he brings the energy and he's just fun. We talk about things other than football, we talk about life.")

Spoiler

Chace Biddle details Texas interest ahead of junior season

NickHarris

CARROLLTON, Texas — Dallas-based Team Grind had a huge 7-on-7 season in 2020 as they won multiple national tournaments including Pylon's The Mecca tournament in Las Vegas in February. This past Saturday, they returned to the field for the last time and the first time since March to play in Pylon's Lone Star Showdown with some of Texas' best club teams.

Grind has rode the stellar performances of numerous breakout stars including Garland (Texas) four-star safety Chace Biddle who saw his recruitment explode after a big spring on the circuit.

"It's been great," Biddle said about his recruitment. "I'm loving it. There's a lot of surprises. For the most part, it's been really good for it. I like coming into contact with different coaches and the head coaches. The coaches I grew up watching on TV as a kid are now on my FaceTime."

Despite his Garland and Grind teammate Jordan Hudson shutting down his recruitment rather quickly and becoming the second 2022 commit for Oklahoma a couple of weeks back, Biddle has no intentions of shutting it down any time soon and is looking forward to the process.

"I'm not planning on doing anything any time soon," he said. "I'm just working on my team and getting to the playoffs."

Biddle said that he definitely wanted to visit Texas when visits open back up along with Texas A&M, Oklahoma and LSU.

"I love Coach [Jay] Valai," he said. "He reminds me of myself, he brings the energy and he's just fun. We talk about things other than football, we talk about life."

He has been intrigued by Texas since a kid as he grew up watching Longhorns games and has since learned more about the program since being offered.

"I love the fans, the students," he said. "They're all down for you, they all care for you. Even if you don't play football, they still care."

At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, Biddle is the No. 84 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 18 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean, it's not like Strong left us with a cabinet of excellent coordinators who knew the program and could seamlessly carry it forward. Those programs and hires powerfully benefited from already being well-built machines.

Exactly. That’s why watching how Herman does over the next two seasons will be interesting. He inherited less but if he actually eventually outmaneuvers Riley and Day it vindicates the administration. If not, then you just hope that Del Conte finally can fix it, like he has for softball and other sports.

For fuck's sake, those guys were already on their staffs (Riley and Day). The incumbents "retired"; they weren't fired. At that point, those coaches were much less of an unknown than hiring a proven head coach from a different program for those ADs. If Meyer retired in 2014, there's a damn good chance that Herman is OSU's head coach. Both of those situations speak more to athletic departments having their shit together being better than a dumpster fire. Really? Helluva take there. We should just do that. Do you also recommend we run the touchdown play?

I have no idea what point you are trying to make here. OSU and OU did an incredible job of hiring coordinators that became great head coaches? Okay. Yes. Nice point captain obvious. If you are saying that OU and OSU would definitely have taken Herman over Day and Riley then I call bullshit. They may or may not have. And you don’t know that. At all. And again, I was and am fine with the Herman pick, as I already indicated. So your reading comprehension sucks ass too dipshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's still early, but this is a great example of how deep Texas is in 2022. In 2021, Jalen Milroe is ranked 82nd and is #10 in-state. 

This is why aggy is absolutely fucked in '22. None of these kids will have friends on the team, engaged hs coaches, or familiarity with the aggy staff because they haven't been hanging around their school recruiting the classes ahead of them. 

image.png.51de178c1611a257f0598866d315cc49.png

These are the respective high schools of Texas kids in the top 150 (composite) nationally along with how many current roster and committed players (no walk-ons) also went there. aggy has the expected advantage at Katy, although it's only their kicker, Small and DITR 2021 TE, Fernando Garza that make up those 2. They also have an advantage at Dickinson. They have an unexpected advantage at Carroll, though that's irrelevant to the prospect there. 

More data:

Unique Texas high schools on each roster, excluding walk-ons (ie high schools where staff has effectively recruited): Texas - 59, aggy - 59

Roster distribution of unique high schools

image.png.443c3571f704c32fc23c2e3e9bcc7a70.png

Now that's the stuff. And, unfortunately for aggy, the above isn't a result of misses. It's a result of not recruiting in-state. So, in a deep 2022, how likely is it that aggy can generate momentum in-state? And who could they purchase in an attempt to recruit for them? Is there a Demetrious Davis in 2022? It's already apparent that Bobby Taylor is a whiny bitch, so it won't be him. Sylla is quiet, won't be him. They're chasing an oos QB, won't be him (they've offered 9 QBs for '22, only Ewers is in Texas and he ain't going there). In fact, of 147 offers in '22, only 38 of them are for Texas players. 5 are committed elsewhere, and most of the rest is just star-chasing the top of the in-state class. 

Texas is in a good position early in '22. We were in a similar position before we shit the bed last season, but did not have the benefit of another year of aggy fucking around oos behind us. If you look at the top 25, we're the perceived leader or co-leader for 10, with significant traction in some of the national battles like Ewers, Burton, and Tavorus Jones. 

image.png.410f3f3c1ed69c1a8a105424b04efd9a.png

aggy has a lead or is at least in the conversation for Dickinson, Katy, Atascocita, and Summer Creek kids. Sound familiar? That's the Houston suburb group that will bang aggy's door down to look at their prospects. Any proactive in-state efforts result in a lean?

Nope. 

So who are we really recruiting against for Texas prospects this cycle? 

Chokelahoma, LSU, fOSU, (perpetually) Alabama, and that's about it. 

Damn man. This is a tremendous post. Thanks for putting all that together. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The 2 Dickinson kids are probably aggy bound.  Bobby Taylor?  Who knows and who gives a shit.  Sylla?  Maybe.  Dewberry seems like more of a toss up IMO and Cosmi getting drafted high may play a roll in that.  After that I don't really know whi they may be in it for.  I'm not believing the Banks talk.  I hope Harold Perkins isn't this class's version of Jaylon Jones, Demani.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

The 2 Dickinson kids are probably aggy bound.  Bobby Taylor?  Who knows and who gives a shit.  Sylla?  Maybe.  Dewberry seems like more of a toss up IMO and Cosmi getting drafted high may play a roll in that.  After that I don't really know whi they may be in it for.  I'm not believing the Banks talk.  I hope Harold Perkins isn't this class's version of Jaylon Jones, Demani.

A&M might have to fend of the Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, etc types for the Dickenson TE

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

All of a sudden, PT looks like attractive for a 2022 OL.

38 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Can anybody get a good zoom in on what VY's visitor's badge says? Where are they?

That's a conference room. 

Also, if the staff is getting kids on campus and letting VY show them around in lieu of the coaches.....awesome. 

Kelvin Banks is a large human. Poor Bryce Anderson looks miniature.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

on Roachs podcast. He thinks texas leads with Cole Hudson and Devon Campbell, probably Kelvin Banks as well but also behind on Dewberry. At WR they got some work to do with Burton but feels fantastic about Evan Stewart

Hutson and Campbell are probably interior guys.  Nothing wrong with that as we need those guys.  Makes Early and Banks even more of a priority as they are Tackles.  Dewberry may be a swing guy?

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting