Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

OU with an OT offer for a Cherry Creek Colorado (sane school as Gunnar Helm, I think) kid — he’s got a lot of the right offers. I expect he will be seeing a good bump :: 

https://247sports.com/Player/George-Fitzpatrick-46101012/

Same school as Gunnar Helm right.

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I disagree, this whole recruiting industry is pretty sick when you think about it. No one should be following around and bugging 16 year-old kids for interviews and shit. 

It's like TMZ for high school kids. 

I agree with that but I doubt that’s his reasoning.

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / The Stampede: Way too early prediction for 2022 offensive class

Spoiler

The Stampede: Way too early prediction for 2022 offensive class
MIKE ROACH

Football season is here.

In Texas, the levels from 4A and below have been playing for three weeks and the higher levels get started in practice today. College football also kicked off in the last wo weeks and the Longhorns will get things started this weekend.

Texas is still looking to close in 2021 but 2022 could be heating up soon. Texas struck a big blow landing five-star Southlake Carroll passer Quinn Ewers along with four-star Lancaster wide receiver Phaizon Wilson.

It’s never too early to wildly speculate what that 2022 class could look like, and that’s exactly what we are here to do with the help of early knowledge of the class. This week we will start with the offensive side of the ball.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, I take my first run at way too early predictions about how the 2022 class could ultimately come together on offense.

QUARTERBACK (1)
Quinn Ewers, Southlake (Texas) Carroll

The good news is, the most important piece of the class decided to make an early commitment. Not only is Ewers an incredible talent on the field, he should be an effective recruiter behind the scenes. In fact, Ewers is already hard at work. It’s rare that I talk to a 2022 prospect who hasn’t yet heard from him. Ewers already has a strong reputation as a player, but he has the chance to elevate his status by building on his strong sophomore season and lighting up the competition in his junior year.

Footnotes: Not much else needs to be said here. Texas landed the top player in the country at the position and won’t move on another player under center.

RUNNING BACK (1-2)

Jaydon Blue, Klein (Texas) Cain

The top target on the running back board, Texas was one of the first schools to offer. After some back and forth momentum through the spring, Texas seems to be settling in as a front runner for him. Blue is frequently in contact with the Texas staff and the combination of Ewers and Wilson. Stan Drayton was early to offer, and he’s getting big assists from Brandon Harris and Bryan Carrington in this recruitment. Texas will need to play things out and outlast some heavyweights, but the staff is positioned well early.

Tavorus Jones, El Paso (Texas) Burges

Jones received his first offer from Texas during the spring, and despite his quiet nature, sources tell Horns247 that Jones is very high on Texas early on. The west Texas back is also high on programs like Florida and Alabama, but Drayton made an impact with him in the last few weeks. Jones was also one to take notice of Texas landing Ewers and building a potentially strong class.

Footnotes: The Longhorns are also in early on a few out of state backs, but the staff may be able to get what they want from the haul of in-state players.

WIDE RECEIVER (4-5)

Phaizon Wilson, Lancaster (Texas)

The first commit of the Texas class gives the Longhorns a large-framed pass catcher with potential to play a few different positions. Wilson’s smooth athleticism and strong natural skillset allow him to present a big target for quarterbacks to throw to.  The Lancaster product has been a vocal recruiter as well. Wilson is a great foundational start to a wide receiver class that has the potential to be insanely talented as a finished product.

Evan Stewart, Frisco (Texas) Liberty

Texas jumped into the race for Stewart before he blew up, and that early effort is paying off for Texas. Thanks to the hard work of Jay Valai, Texas is near the top for the four-star pass catcher with elite tools. Stewart enjoys the recruiting process, and he will want to take advantage of everything it has to offer. Texas has been pushing the right buttons in the recruitment early on, and if the Longhorns can continue that, they should be able to reel in one of the most dangerous offensive prospects in the country.

Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Texas)

Winfield is yet another big-framed receiver who could be an outside target for Texas. After Oklahoma and Texas A&M grabbed early positioning, Texas started to surge even before landing Ewers. With Lewisville and Carroll so close, Winfield and Ewers have been in heavy contact. Arizona State is a sneaky school to watch in the race for Winfield as sources tell Horns247 that the Sun Devils are intriguing to him.

Footnotes: Texas will definitely want to add more to this haul, but I’m not sure they are quite there with the other targets right now. The Longhorns are making progress with Caleb Burton. Spearman ATH Brenen Thompson has Texas near the top of his list, but Oklahoma is also going to be very tough to beat. Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe wide receiver Talyn Shettron is wide open and not deciding anytime soon, and the Longhorns are working on flipping Garland (Texas) wide receiver and Oklahoma commit Jordan Hudson.

TIGHT END (1-2)

Donovan Green, Dickinson (Texas)

This is probably the furthest out on a limb I’ve gone on the offensive side of the ball. The race for Green is going to be huge and competitive, but Texas sits in a good position early as one of the first schools to offer the diverse pass-catcher. It might come down to how Texas plays on the field and uses the tight end in the 2020 season. Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Ohio State and many others are prime contenders for Green as well.

Footnotes: Texas has no other offers out to tight end prospects in the 2022 class, but that should change this fall as Texas will likely identify new targets and send new offers out.

OFFENSIVE LINE (4-5)

Devon Campbell, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

Campbell doesn’t say much, but Texas has been high on his list since the Longhorns made an early offer. Texas is one of the only campuses Campbell was able to visit before COVID-19 shut down operations statewide. Campbell is a Top 10 player in the country according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings, and he would be a huge and much needed position victory for Herb Hand following a tough 2021 cycle.

Kelvin Banks, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek

Like Green, Banks is more of a projection. Texas will have to put away Texas A&M to win this battle, but the Longhorns were early to offer, and they made sure to pounce when Banks opened his commitment. The Longhorns will likely have the greatest need to offer to Banks and if the staff can generate quick momentum, they might be able to use it to generate a strong push for him.

Cole Hutson, Frisco (Texas)

It feels as if Hutson is still relatively open, but Texas has a few natural advantages to push with him. The Arizona State legacy spoke glowingly of Texas and Herb Hand, and his desire to attend a strong business school puts Texas in prime position to land the rising offensive lineman.

Footnotes: Herb Hand needs a huge effort in 2022. Landing these three would be a good start, but players like Duncanville (Texas) offensive tackle Jaylen Early, Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek tackle Jacob Sexton, Dickinson (Texas) offensive tackle PJ Williams and Humble (Texas) Atascocita offensive tackle Kam Dewberry are all prospects on the board Texas could improve position with at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 2

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Brenen Thompson talks busy recruitment and Texas interest

Spoiler

Brenen Thompson talks busy recruitment and Texas interest

NickHarris

SANFORD, Texas — For Spearman's four-star 2022 athlete Brenen Thompson, his junior season is well underway as the Lynx have notched two big wins in their opening weeks.

Thompson saw one of the quickest blow-ups on the recruiting trail of any prospect this spring as he went from a virtually unknown recruit at a small 3A school in the Panhandle to one of the best athletes in the nation and 25 offers.

"I've been trying to keep in contact with a lot of schools and keep my options open," Thompson said about his recruitment. "OU, Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Florida State and there's still another eight teams that have been staying in contact."

September 1 marked the first day that coaching staffs could reach out directly to recruits and as soon as the clock struck midnight, Thompson was no exception to being one of the many 2022 stars that got flooded with messages.

"It was crazy," he said. "As soon as it hit 12 o' clock, they just started coming in. It was exciting, about 27-28 schools hit me up."

Texas was one of the first to offer back in April and Thompson has struck a nice relationship with the coaching staff on both sides of the ball as the Longhorns look to work him as a possible prospect on either side of the ball.

"It's been good," he said. "Coach [Mike] Yurcich, Coach [Tom] Herman and Coach [Jay] Valai and me have been keeping a good relationship and everything's been good. They all have a family environment. Coach Herman is a good guy, he cares about me and my life besides football."

When asked about things that he likes about Texas, he immediately responded with something that a lot of 2022 recruits have said: the commitment of Southlake Carroll five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers.

"That big commitment first of all," he said. "And then being Texas raised, Texas born, that's pretty cool."

Oklahoma has also been a school at the top for Thompson as he has built a solid relationship with head coach Lincoln Riley.

"He's a real family guy and they are a school I like a lot as well," he said.

Thompson showed out on Friday night as he helped power Spearman to a 48-6 win over Sanford-Fritch on the heels of four touchdowns on just six touches. He showed his lightning speed on the edge on a delay slant route that ended up a score in the second quarter and again on a slot post across the middle in the third quarter. He was unable to return a punt all night as the Sanford-Fritch Eagles made it a point to not kick to No. 11.

Despite quite a few 2022 recruits committing in recent weeks, Thompson said that he is letting the process play out and will look to make a decision before his senior year.

At 5-foot-10, 165 pounds, Thompson is the No. 66 ranked recruit in the nation for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 8 athlete in the country and the No. 9 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / 2022 WR Talyn Shettron says recruitment is still wide open

(“First thing’s first, they have to have a great education” - Texas lock, IMO.  Unless Stanford, LSU, Oklahoma or Princeton comes calling.  The South-Austin's Mom-esque description of the state of his recruitment also bodes quite well.) 

Spoiler

2022 WR Talyn Shettron says recruitment is still wide open

MikeRoach

Talyn Shettron is taking the recruiting process slowly.

The four-star wide receiver from Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe has the attention of nearly 20 schools early in his career, and more are showing interest. Texas offered Shettron early on and The Longhorns have been in contact often since September 1.

“It’s been good since then,” he said. “Since September 1 hit, they’ve been contacting me. I’ve heard from coach Herman and coach Coleman pretty much every single morning. It’s been good.”

With five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers on board, Texas is pitching a big opportunity to wide receivers. Shettron said the opportunity to play with a quarterback that talented is something to definitely pay attention to.

“Of course,” he said. “What receiver wouldn’t want to play with the best quarterback in the 2022 class? Yeah it stands out.”

Shettron knows what’s important to him in a school. He’s looking for a strong academic program first, and he also wants to see some campuses since he didn’t get to take visits during the spring.

“First thing’s first, they have to have a great education,” Shettron said. “Grades come first. I need to visit some places. I couldn’t really do it this spring, but I want to go visit some places and see how the campus really is. That would be a big thing for me.”

Shettron says he isn’t anywhere close to a decision right now. His decision will probably play out with visits during the spring and a decision next summer.

“Right now, it’s pretty wide open,” he said. “I haven’t narrowed down my schools and I’m just going to go to the best school that gives me the best opportunity to get better academically and go to the NFL.

At 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, Shettron is ranked as the No. 9 wide receiver in the nation and No. 2 overall prospect in Oklahoma, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting