Nothing to see here -- just a town declaring a state of emergency before releasing body cam of police shooting!

Beau Vine

They also delayed the release of the video so they can blur their officers faces to protect them.

The family had coordinated with the PD to see the footage at 11:30ET, which was pushed to 1:30ET, which they missed as well.

The cops really aren't doing themselves any favors towards public opinion when they keep missing the deadlines they set for themselves.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Exactly. Transparency is crucial. I don’t know many posters that would disagree.

People aren’t doing themselves any favors toward public opinion when they keep missing deadlines set by court.

Didn’t realize we put people to death for missing a court date

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Didn’t realize we put people to death for missing a court date

We do? Or is it a common denominator? 

Is this not how government works? Tax the shit out of you, fine you for bullshit, come after your credit, or freedom and then some. Have to hire a lawyer. That’s expensive. Or plea out. Go to jail. Financing someone else. Or maybe government works like claim to give a shit about you. Exploit you. Use you for a cause that matters very little to anyone on either side of the aisle because: profit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We do? Or is it a common denominator? 

Is this not how government works? Tax the shit out of you, fine you for bullshit, come after your credit, or freedom and then some. Have to hire a lawyer. That’s expensive. Or plea out. Go to jail. Financing someone else. Or maybe government works like claim to give a shit about you. Exploit you. Use you for a cause that matters very little to anyone on either side of the aisle because: profit. 

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow apparently in the 20 second snippet the cops showed the family, the cops are already shooting when the video starts. Their attorney is saying that they saw at least seven or eight officers shooting at the car while it reversed away from them. They're calling it an execution.

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Wow apparently in the 20 second snippet the cops showed the family, the cops are already shooting when the video starts. Their attorney is saying that they saw at least seven or eight officers shooting at the car while it reversed away from them. They're calling it an execution.

Another human being. We knew this would be bad. 

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That many officers for a warrant?

26 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The first fact is the one that concerns me -- the decision to fire had already been made by the time we start seeing video?  So...that means that we're NOT seeing what immediately preceded that (that is, the thing that either made at least the initial decision to fire justified or not).  That's concerning.  That's a material snippet of facts that is NOT being shared?  That's not good.  I hope that we're reading that wrong.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The first fact is the one that concerns me -- the decision to fire had already been made by the time we start seeing video?  So...that means that we're NOT seeing what immediately preceded that (that is, the thing that either made at least the initial decision to fire justified or not).  That's concerning.  That's a material snippet of facts that is NOT being shared?  That's not good.  I hope that we're reading that wrong.

Well ten cops...it is obvious whatever transpired can’t be shared without editing.

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Well ten cops...it is obvious whatever transpired can’t be shared without editing.

Sure, and look....it's pretty obvious what many of us SUSPECT happened.  And the scenario we suspect would be super shitty.  So I really, really, really hope our suspicions are wrong.  But we need the complete, unedited, information.

And if it shows the worst, then the law needs to come down fucking hard, because nowhere does it allow police officers to become self-appointed executioners because "the suspect was running away in his car."  But goddamit, I actually hope that he tried to run someone down or something that might justify a shooting, because goddammit, enough of this shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, and look....it's pretty obvious what many of us SUSPECT happened.  And the scenario we suspect would be super shitty.  So I really, really, really hope our suspicions are wrong.  But we need the complete, unedited, information.

And if it shows the worst, then the law needs to come down fucking hard, because nowhere does it allow police officers to become self-appointed executioners because "the suspect was running away in his car."  But goddamit, I actually hope that he tried to run someone down or something that might justify a shooting, because goddammit, enough of this shit.

My only question is why so much fire power for a warrant? 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

My only question is why so much fire power for a warrant? 

Have you not read from the Most Holy Book of Hooorah GIT SOME, the Sacred Scripture of the Church of the American LEO?  You aren't prepared for your day unless you look exactly like you're going out to clear houses during the worst of the battle for Fallujah.

We went from this:

the_runaway_by_norman_rockwell-400x513.j

to this:

OfficerFriendly2.png

When you dress a part....you can't help but play that part.  It's just how the human brain works.

It's why guys like it when their wives dress a little trampy.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Have you not read from the Most Holy Book of Hooorah GIT SOME, the Sacred Scripture of the Church of the American LEO?  You aren't prepared for your day unless you look exactly like you're going out to clear houses during the worst of the battle for Fallujah.

We went from this:

to this:

OfficerFriendly2.png

When you dress a part....you can't help but play that part.  It's just how the human brain works.

Is that first picture of a kid picking up two hound dogs? 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We went from this:

to this:

OfficerFriendly2.png

I get all that. And it’s horrific. I don’t understand why we keep fighting a drug war we will never win. If this person was some linchpin in a terrorist cell...fine. Kill him. (Domestic or foreign terrorist—don’t care.) 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

https://www.charleskochinstitute.org/issue-areas/criminal-justice-policing-reform/militarization-of-police/

Even Charles Koch, noted communist libertarian/conservative, has issues with the militarization of the police:

It is law enforcement’s role to guard the public against criminal wrongdoers and restore order, but officers should avoid the use of excessive force, ensure individual due process protections, and respect the moral dignity of every person. In recent years, law enforcement agencies across the country have increasingly adopted tactics, equipment, and a culture that is more akin to those seen in the branches of our military. This current trend has resulted in a clear decrease in legitimacy and trust between communities and law enforcement. When a community does not trust those tasked with protecting their public safety, this negatively impacts law enforcement’s ability to achieve its goals. Proper policing practices require that law enforcement build positive relationships with their community, respect civil liberties, and avoid tactics which encourage the use of excessive force against citizens.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

https://www.charleskochinstitute.org/issue-areas/criminal-justice-policing-reform/militarization-of-police/

Even Charles Koch, noted communist libertarian/conservative, has issues with the militarization of the police:

It is law enforcement’s role to guard the public against criminal wrongdoers and restore order, but officers should avoid the use of excessive force, ensure individual due process protections, and respect the moral dignity of every person. In recent years, law enforcement agencies across the country have increasingly adopted tactics, equipment, and a culture that is more akin to those seen in the branches of our military. This current trend has resulted in a clear decrease in legitimacy and trust between communities and law enforcement. When a community does not trust those tasked with protecting their public safety, this negatively impacts law enforcement’s ability to achieve its goals. Proper policing practices require that law enforcement build positive relationships with their community, respect civil liberties, and avoid tactics which encourage the use of excessive force against citizens.

When one of the freaking Kochs thinks you've gone a BIT too fascist....you've definitely gone too fascist.  But now we're getting into a broader commentary on the broken culture of law enforcement, which may or may not be in play in this particular incident.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It does.....but I'mma wait till I see/know more.  As described.....very not good, very bad, muy malo.  But we need to see it.

Unfortunately I don't have the stomach to watch these anymore. It got me called out on here with the Toledo shooting because I took someone else's (normally very trustworthy) word for what happened before watching the kid be killed myself. I posted based on that and posted something that was wrong and when I was called out on it I watched the whole thing, got sick to my stomach, and posted my mea culpa.

So I hereby nominate you to watch the full video once it happens and then tell me what happens in it. That way I can blame you and not someone off-board for anything wrong.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t understand why we keep fighting a drug war we will never win.

Because our criminal justice system is a glorified racket and incarceration has become a massive industry. Our prison system is more private than public, which means certain corporations have a vested interest in keeping their properties or workforces at max capacity.

The "war on drugs" is the easiest way to ensure occupancy rates remain high, so corporations lobby the shit out of senators and congressmen to ensure the "war" goes on.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So I hereby nominate you to watch the full video once it happens and then tell me what happens in it. That way I can blame you and not someone off-board for anything wrong.

I don’t think you’re going to have that issue with this one.  They’ve held the video far too long for it to be cut and dry in the police’s favor.   

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Unfortunately I don't have the stomach to watch these anymore. It got me called out on here with the Toledo shooting because I took someone else's (normally very trustworthy) word for what happened before watching the kid be killed myself. I posted based on that and posted something that was wrong and when I was called out on it I watched the whole thing, got sick to my stomach, and posted my mea culpa.

Well, it starts with a shot of your mom, undressing very slowly.....doucement.....

0f3f631e-6ad0-4094-9e4e-28aeb16e139b_scr