Nothing to see here -- just a town declaring a state of emergency before releasing body cam of police shooting!

Beau Vine

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They can't get the video of the shooting unsealed for 30 days, but they can get his juvenile record from when he was 13 and 14 out to the public and media in just a few days?  

Well you see here, the judge doesn’t want to prejudice the jury for 7 murderers because he knows they’re going to trial and will get convicted because there is evidence of their murdering but he’s super okay with shaming the victim because police gang gonna police gang 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

So I’ve been driving by this house at the front of the neighborhood that has a blue porch light and kept thinking “man, look at this fucking pot head and his damn neon lights.” But, it turns out that is meant to convey support for officers and their families. Total mind blow. 

It could also mean they are swingers, so go give it a knock and see if the wife is hot.

^ Neonmoon, 

You're being sarcastic but that's about the fucking way of it.  I mean, it's his arrest/prison record.  It's fair game.  A good journalist or union rep would have gotten ahold of it anyway and pushed it out there for one reason or another.  But that's fucking low to release what he did from 13-17 years of age.  To include that shit in a public record usually takes months, sometimes years, of legal wrangling and it has to serve some vast public good like national security or a cure for polio.  Not a local drug warrant shootout.  

I hope the media asks the department and/or the local court how the fuck that leak happened, juvenile criminal records?  That shit doesn't even come out in an FBI background check for intelligence work.  I should know.  

Edited by Lobo

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Well you see here, the judge doesn’t want to prejudice the jury for 7 murderers because he knows they’re going to trial and will get convicted because there is evidence of their murdering but he’s super okay with shaming the victim because police gang gonna police gang 

It could cause issues seating a jury.  That's never a good thing.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Sheriff's office asked the judge to release the video, DA argued against release, judge sided with the DA.

https://abc11.com/bodycam-video-in-andrew-brown-killing-not-to-be-released-for-30-days/10555803/

The body camera video in the killing of Andrew Brown Jr. will not be released publicly for at least 30 days, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Judge Jeffrey Foster said the video was of "compelling public interest." However, he said public release of the video could harm the ongoing investigation into the case and post a "threat to administration of justice."

That's why he put a hold on public release of the video for now. He said the video could be released in 30 days and had to be released within 45 days.

In the meantime, Brown's son Khalil Ferebee and an attorney will be allowed to see all of the video within 10 days...

...During the court hearing on Wednesday, District Attorney Andrew Womble said Brown's car struck deputies before they started shooting.

"The video, the body cam video, clearly shows Mr. Brown's car in a stationary position when approached by law enforcement, and they begin to shout commands. The car is still stationary when law enforcement officers grab the door handle, still shouting commands. The car goes in a reverse position," he said. "The law enforcement officer is forced to release the door handle, and the car is backing up--those were the comments made by Miss Cherry-Lassiter (attorney representing Brown family), the car backing up, those movements. The car then stops; it is stationary once again. As it backs up it does make contact with law enforcement officers. At this point the car is stationary, there is no movement and officers are positioned around the car. The next movement of the car is forward, it is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then you hear shots..."

...Judge Jeffrey Foster acknowledged the intense national scrutiny over this case, but made it clear his decision would not take into account any of those pressures.

"There will be no decision made based on political whims of elected officials," Foster said.

The judge said there were three options for how he could rule in the various petitions to release the bodycam video. He could rule that the video be disclosed to the party requesting access, the video could be released (a copy made) for the party requesting access, the video release could be denied, or the video release could be delayed.

Arguing before the judge Wednesday was Pasquotank County Attorney Michael Cox, District Attorney Andrew Womble, attorney H.P. Williams representing unnamed individuals, and attorney Mike Tadych representing various media members.

Cox briefly argued that the sheriff's office was legally bound to not release the video when first asked to do so by Brown's family. He said North Carolina law gives that decision solely to the judge.

Cox went on to say the sheriff's office now formally requests the video be released to Brown's family and the media.

"(This) sad event has drawn great public interest and scrutiny. While the body cam footage only shows one perspective for a limited period of time, it might give the public some ability to understand what happened that day," Cox said.

District Attorney Womble spoke for the longest amount of time. He laid out an argument for why he supported the release of the video to Brown's family as well as the public, but he wanted to do it in a controlled environment so as to not corrupt the legal process.

"(Release of the video now) will hinder the orderly administration of justice, and it will hinder a fair trial," Womble said.

He went on to say there are two scenarios in which the video should be released to the public: The first is in open court during a jury trial. The second is during a press conference held by Womble, if he decides not to pursue charges, where he would show the video and explain his reasoning.

"What I have asked is disclosure and release," Womble said. "I want your honor to complete this investigation--or the SBI to complete this investigation--let me review it, make my decision and then everybody can Monday morning quarterback me."

Williams spoke after Womble. Williams said he represented attorneys and clients who did not want to be identified due to a fear for their own safety.

He argued police were justified in shooting Andrew Brown: "The officers are very distraught over what happened. They feel for the family of Andrew Brown. But, as Mr. Womble described to you, we believe that the shooting was justified."

He argued that the video should not be released, but that if the judge deemed it necessary it should be released in one of the controlled scenarios Womble laid out....(snip)

A little more background from yesterday:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/andrew-brown-jr-shooting-search-warrant-north-carolina-elizabeth-city

Andrew Brown Jr. – a Black man fatally shot as sheriff's deputies executed a warrant in Elizabeth City, N.C., on April 21 – was described as a drug dealer in the Pasquotank County area and had a criminal rap sheet over 180 pages long and dating back to May 1988, according to a copy of the search warrant and other records obtained by Fox News...

I expected these arguments - didn't expect this result. I thought we'd get something even if it wasn't everything.

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It could cause issues seating a jury.  That's never a good thing.

The judge didn't cite jury concerns - because it sounds like they want to do everything they can to prevent a full criminal investigation and leave it to the very fine folks in Internal Affairs. Everyone knows that the police go a great job of policing themselves!

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The judge didn't cite jury concerns - because it sounds like they want to do everything they can to prevent a full criminal investigation and leave it to the very fine folks in Internal Affairs. Everyone knows that the police go a great job of policing themselves!

Maybe, but the fact remains in some juridicrions it could pose problems .  That being said immediate family members should always be able to view the footage .  I have no vested need to see it.

13 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Hennepin County District Court managed to seat a jury to send Derek Chauvin to the hole at OPH.

That trail was a terrible example of our jury system.  While I think he was guilty, there's valid arguments that he didn't get a fair trail.  The jury was so intimidated that they didn't tell each other their names, occupations, discuss family, etc.  Admitted concern about post-trial violence and even the targeting of their homes.

(Of course with the requisite, "None of that influenced our verdict" they have to say lest they open things up for a mistrial and again become a target.)

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/04/alternate-juror-in-derek-chauvin-trial-i-did-not-want-to-go-through-rioting-and-destruction-again/

Lisa Christensen, who was an alternate juror in the trial (but did not know she was an alternate until just before deliberations began), gave an interview to Minneapolis news station KARE 11 on Thursday where she provided the first insight the public is getting into what went through the minds of jurors before and during the trial. Some of the things she said during the interview raised more questions regarding the possibility that some jurors feared voting to acquit would hurt their city – or them.

Christensen, who lives in Brooklyn Center, told reporter Lou Raguse that she had “mixed feelings” about the possibility of being a juror when she filled out the jury questionnaire:

“There was a question on the questionnaire [asking if she wanted to be a juror] and I put I did not know. The reason, at that time, was I did not know what the outcome was going to be, so I felt like either way you are going to disappoint one group or the other. I did not want to go through rioting and destruction again and I was concerned about people coming to my house if they were not happy with the verdict.”

She also told Raguse the jurors did not use their real names with each other during the trial, nor did they discuss their occupations or families. Apparently, there was a concern about saying “too much”:

“I got to know them a little bit, but it was hard because we did not talk about anything pertaining to the trial at all. We did not identify ourselves amongst each other, so we did not say our names, occupations, or anything about our families. We had to do small talk about the weather and have meaningless conversations.”

Because she lives in Brooklyn Center, Christensen got an up-close and personal view of some of the rioting that took place after the officer-involved shooting death of Daunte Wright last week. She claimed the incident “did not impact” her thoughts on the Chauvin case:

It did not impact me as far as the trial went. However, only being about six blocks from the police department, I could hear everything. When I came home, I could hear the helicopters flying over my house… I could hear the flash bangs going off. If I stepped outside, I could see the smoke from the grenades. One day, the trial ran a little late, and I had trouble getting to my house, because the protesters were blocking the interstate, so I had to go way around. I was aware, but it did not affect me at all....(snip)

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pacman said:

It could also mean they are swingers, so go give it a knock and see if the wife is hot.

I thought that was three big boulders in the front yard or three pineapples side by side in the shopping cart at HEB.

Heard it on Todd and Don, so it's gotta be true.

"The video, the body cam video, clearly shows Mr. Brown's car in a stationary position when approached by law enforcement, and they begin to shout commands. The car is still stationary when law enforcement officers grab the door handle, still shouting commands. The car goes in a reverse position," he said. "The law enforcement officer is forced to release the door handle, and the car is backing up--those were the comments made by Miss Cherry-Lassiter (attorney representing Brown family), the car backing up, those movements. The car then stops; it is stationary once again. As it backs up it does make contact with law enforcement officers. At this point the car is stationary, there is no movement and officers are positioned around the car. The next movement of the car is forward, it is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then you hear shots..."

Yeah, I'm gonna call bullshit here.  Cops grabbing door handles, standing around the car, not clearing space when dude is trying to get away in a big metal box, and like Manu Ginobili taking a flop one of 'em is "struck by the vehicle".  It's an old game and they love it.  Anything to get to that "Blast 'EM!" moment.

Now they're all resigning with the idea that they won't have to talk about what happened on record.

Probably all at their homes now ping ponging between beating their wives and writing resumes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

The judge said there were three options for how he could rule in the various petitions to release the bodycam video. He could rule that the video be disclosed to the party requesting access, the video could be released (a copy made) for the party requesting access, the video release could be denied, or the video release could be delayed.

I'm guessing this wasn't one of them fancy-pants math-using judges?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Resignations, no release of video, judge denying requests, etc...

Yeah, all on the up and up I'm sure.

Justice system my ass.

It'll come out eventually seeing it sooner rather than later ?mixed emotions about that, if they're trying to hide shit that bothers me that's why the family should be able to see it almost immediately 

59 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

That trail was a terrible example of our jury system.  While I think he was guilty, there's valid arguments that he didn't get a fair trail.  The jury was so intimidated that they didn't tell each other their names, occupations, discuss family, etc.  Admitted concern about post-trial violence and even the targeting of their homes.

(Of course with the requisite, "None of that influenced our verdict" they have to say lest they open things up for a mistrial and again become a target.)

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/04/alternate-juror-in-derek-chauvin-trial-i-did-not-want-to-go-through-rioting-and-destruction-again/

Lisa Christensen, who was an alternate juror in the trial (but did not know she was an alternate until just before deliberations began), gave an interview to Minneapolis news station KARE 11 on Thursday where she provided the first insight the public is getting into what went through the minds of jurors before and during the trial. Some of the things she said during the interview raised more questions regarding the possibility that some jurors feared voting to acquit would hurt their city – or them.

Christensen, who lives in Brooklyn Center, told reporter Lou Raguse that she had “mixed feelings” about the possibility of being a juror when she filled out the jury questionnaire:

“There was a question on the questionnaire [asking if she wanted to be a juror] and I put I did not know. The reason, at that time, was I did not know what the outcome was going to be, so I felt like either way you are going to disappoint one group or the other. I did not want to go through rioting and destruction again and I was concerned about people coming to my house if they were not happy with the verdict.”

She also told Raguse the jurors did not use their real names with each other during the trial, nor did they discuss their occupations or families. Apparently, there was a concern about saying “too much”:

“I got to know them a little bit, but it was hard because we did not talk about anything pertaining to the trial at all. We did not identify ourselves amongst each other, so we did not say our names, occupations, or anything about our families. We had to do small talk about the weather and have meaningless conversations.”

Because she lives in Brooklyn Center, Christensen got an up-close and personal view of some of the rioting that took place after the officer-involved shooting death of Daunte Wright last week. She claimed the incident “did not impact” her thoughts on the Chauvin case:

It did not impact me as far as the trial went. However, only being about six blocks from the police department, I could hear everything. When I came home, I could hear the helicopters flying over my house… I could hear the flash bangs going off. If I stepped outside, I could see the smoke from the grenades. One day, the trial ran a little late, and I had trouble getting to my house, because the protesters were blocking the interstate, so I had to go way around. I was aware, but it did not affect me at all....(snip)

I agree.  I’m glad it went the way it did, but no fucking way I would have been on that jury.  Add in the political commentary near the end.  Just a mess. 

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It'll come out eventually seeing it sooner rather than later ?mixed emotions about that, if they're trying to hide shit that bothers me that's why the family should be able to see it almost immediately 

Don't forget: when the family tried to see it earlier this week at the agreed upon time the county attorney said he "wasn't going to be FUCKING bullied". They don't give a shit about transparency or accountability, they just want those uppity blacks to shut up and know their place

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Don't forget: when the family tried to see it earlier this week at the agreed upon time the county attorney said he "wasn't going to be FUCKING bullied". They don't give a shit about transparency or accountability, they just want those uppity blacks to shut up and know their place

You're preaching to the choir Brah.

I know of a game warden who once wrote a guy a ticket he was duck hunting with for accidentally shooting the wrong kind of duck.  And of course the video footage is going to be absolutely awful.  You don't declare an emergency beforehand and edit out the first part of the video for shootings that were in any way justifiable.

Edited by kevwun

Yeah, it's true, but he was not of the pleasant warden variety.  He rubbed just about everyone the wrong way.  Shit happens sometimes when you're hunting birds and I would look the other way as long as someone doesn't try to keep it.

Edited by kevwun

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I mean, that sucks, but also that's a fair ticket lol. Shoot too many teals or redheads, that's on you

Agreed. But still should be a teaching moment type deal, most of the time.  Yeah if it’s early teal that’s kind of on you.  Or if you have a few extra pintails. Some are not mistakable, and that falls on the hunter.  But writing someone a ticket for an extra spoonie or pouldeau is kind of meh.  

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Oh what the fuck ever. Most of those things relate to normal instructions (e.g., talking about the case). They aren't supposed to deliberate until the end. For example, here is one of the instructions in the Texas Pattern Jury Charges:

"Do not discuss this case with anyone during the trial, not even with the other jurors, until the end of the trial. You should not discuss the casewith your fellow jurors until the end of the trial so that you do not form opinions about the case before you have heard everything."

They get told the same thing multiple times and in multiple ways. Certain cases get a lot of notoriety such that extra precautions are taken and extra protection given to the jury. That doesn't mean that justice wasn't served.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh, they're trying to hide shit.  That's really not even debatable at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Dude, I'm white as paste and have been told pretty much the exact same thing by Heroes (well, my attorney was).  They don't just save that arrogance for a certain race.  They are cops and you are a piece of shit citizen.  You are not to question them or demand anything.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Dude, I'm white as paste and have been told pretty much the exact same thing by Heroes (well, my attorney was).  They don't just save that arrogance for a certain race.  They are cops and you are a piece of shit citizen.  You are not to question them or demand anything.

Well duh nobody likes an albino.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

E0BL5YbXIAMooSG?format=jpg&name=small

On the way to...serve a warrant! 

wait, i thought this was a meme and not a real picture taken of the cops as they were on their way to serve this warrant, but i just saw the videos on cnn. this....this is how they were locked and loaded? 

jesus fucking christ, that looks like shit i saw in puerto vallarta. 

there's a thing that happens when you put the fear of god into a man, and it's called fight or flight. when you corner a human like that, they just might panic and choose flight. and when someone does that, they might strike someone with their vehicle because they are fucking terrified of getting shot by this overwhelming show of force.

i daresay the cops instigated this on purpose to put brown in fight or flight mode so they could fight him or chase him, because HOO-AH, they are staying fucking frosty.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

If the police say his car hit police officers, and they feared for their lives, therefore had to fire their weapons, it seems like the video would show that 

but they won’t release it...because 

They are still trying to find someone in the department that knows how to do CGI and shit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

there's a thing that happens when you put the fear of god into a man, and it's called fight or flight. when you corner a human like that, they just might panic and choose flight. and when someone does that, they might strike someone with their vehicle because they are fucking terrified of getting shot by this overwhelming show of force.

i daresay the cops instigated this on purpose to put brown in fight or flight mode so they could fight him or chase him, because HOO-AH, they are staying fucking frosty.

Shorter version of this: when you show up tricked out for war, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When a person dresses like they are going out to fuck......they often end up fucking.

When a fat guy wears his comfy "I can overeat in these" sweatpants....odds are a buffet is gonna get murdered.

When a cop shows up dressed to take out enemy combatants and kick down doors and Hoorah GIT SOME.....odds are high that someone's getting beaten or shot.

Show up spoiling for a fight, you often get a fight.  Most of us learned this on the elementary school playground, and later modified our behavior because fights are generally a bad thing to get into.  The folks who don't think that way became cops and get tricked out in "tactical" everything, down to their fucking coffee mugs...

image_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1555183612

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If the police say his car hit police officers, and they feared for their lives, therefore had to fire their weapons, it seems like the video would show that 

but they won’t release it...because 

It's time people at risk of these kinds of things keep a lime scooter retrofitted with a nitrous booster close by so at the very least it will play that much more poorly for the Heroes in court when they show the video of dude wobbling through them with his poorly fitted safety helmet.

Makes the whole, "We feared for our lives" tactic that much less impactful.

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Shorter version of this: when you show up tricked out for war, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When a person dresses like they are going out to fuck......they often end up fucking.

When a fat guy wears his comfy "I can overeat in these" sweatpants....odds are a buffet is gonna get murdered.

When a cop shows up dressed to take out enemy combatants and kick down doors and Hoorah GIT SOME.....odds are high that someone's getting beaten or shot.

Show up spoiling for a fight, you often get a fight.  Most of us learned this on the elementary school playground, and later modified our behavior because fights are generally a bad thing to get into.  The folks who don't think that way became cops and get tricked out in "tactical" everything, down to their fucking coffee mugs...

image_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1555183612

Is it wrong that I kinda want that mug?

• Like 1

Our society took a labor force already prone to abuse of power and over the last 20 years has outfitted them with military gear and weapons. What did we think would happen?

We thought that exactly this would happen.

But we weren’t worried, because the vast majority of us aren’t black. That gear wasn’t for use in Tarrytown, so why would Tarrytown worry about it at all?
  • Hook 'Em 1