Nothing to see here -- just a town declaring a state of emergency before releasing body cam of police shooting!

Beau Vine

On 4/26/2021 at 11:34 AM, Nicole44 said:

Exactly. Transparency is crucial. I don’t know many posters that would disagree.

People aren’t doing themselves any favors toward public opinion when they keep missing deadlines set by court.

Why are there deadlines for anything? Release the footage.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, Captainant said:

Wow apparently in the 20 second snippet the cops showed the family, the cops are already shooting when the video starts. Their attorney is saying that they saw at least seven or eight officers shooting at the car while it reversed away from them. They're calling it an execution.

Police called for a welfare check on a 17 year old. Of course they murder him and are still trying to withold information to the public years later.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article250976639.html

It's the same mentality as the conspiracy theory to steal the election.  Did hundreds, maybe thousands, of election officials in several key states willingly conspire to alter election ballot results against one candidate, while leaving other races down-ballot unmolested?  And did those hundreds, maybe thousands, of election officials manage to keep their plans a complete secret ahead of time, with no leaks of any kind?  And was this effort then protected by dozens of judges, appointed by the party being cheated, and kept obfuscated from the general public by thousands of media outlets?  Or did one guy just get more votes than the other guy?

Was the Chauvin jury verdict tainted by worry and grief over protests?  Was it overshadowed by political implications, outside influences, and racial overtones?  Did the jury convict an innocent man of murder because they were pressured to pin the frustration of minority communities onto the life and shoulders of a law enforcement hero?  

Or did a physician walk 12 reasonably intelligent people through a murder video, and those people simply concluded, "That part where the defendant kills George Floyd...yeah, maybe that was the cause of death." 

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, GopherRock said:

For those of you who think the Chauvin jury was under outside influence to convict...

They got the verdict right, but this guy's full of shit.

They knew exactly what "outside might do".

Again, they got it right and fuck Chauvin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

update: Bodycam video shows Andrew Brown Jr. didn't drive into deputies who shot him, lawyers say: "He did just the opposite"

Lawyers for relatives of Andrew Brown Jr., a Black man fatally shot by deputies, said Tuesday that body camera videos show that he didn't strike them with his car before they opened fire, contradicting a local prosecutor.

Chance Lynch, a lawyer who viewed the footage in private with Brown's family, said Brown was sitting in his stationary car with his hands on the wheel when the first of numerous shots was fired. Family members had previously seen about 20 seconds of the video but were shown approximately 18 minutes on Tuesday under a judge's order.

The family's lawyers say the footage contradicts statements by the local district attorney, who said in court that deputies didn't start firing until after Brown's vehicle struck them twice. Lynch's description aligns with what another family attorney said after seeing the shorter clip.

"We did not see any actions on Mr. Brown's part where he made contact with them or tried to go in their direction," Lynch told reporters. "In fact, he did just the opposite. While there was a group of law enforcement that were in front of him, he went the opposite direction."

The cops version of the story:

• "As it backs up, it does make contact with law enforcement officers," he said, adding that the car stops again.
  • "The next movement of the car is forward. It is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then that you hear shots."

The family's lawyer:

• Brown was sitting in his stationary car with his hands on the wheel when the first of numerous shots was fired
  • While there was a group of law enforcement that were in front of him, he went the opposite direction.
  • deputies may have reached out and touched the car as Brown tried to drive away, but he didn't initiate the contact.
  • Rage+1 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:29 AM, Captainant said:

update: Bodycam video shows Andrew Brown Jr. didn't drive into deputies who shot him, lawyers say: "He did just the opposite"

The cops version of the story:

• "As it backs up, it does make contact with law enforcement officers," he said, adding that the car stops again.
  • "The next movement of the car is forward. It is in the direction of law enforcement and makes contact with law enforcement. It is then and only then that you hear shots."

The family's lawyer:

• Brown was sitting in his stationary car with his hands on the wheel when the first of numerous shots was fired
  • While there was a group of law enforcement that were in front of him, he went the opposite direction.
  • deputies may have reached out and touched the car as Brown tried to drive away, but he didn't initiate the contact.

well, the district attorney just came out and said the shooting was justified. 

so, they should release the tape...when exactly?

13 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Has this been released before?  4 clips so far at that twitter account:

It's the first new footage released in quite a while, but from what I've been able to glean from commentary around the presser it was just a subset of clips again - not the entire bodycam(s)

49 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Looks pretty murder-y

let's entertain for a moment the allegation that the victim used the car as a weapon. these cops came looking like a goddamn delta force in the bed of a pickup truck with assault rifles. you jump out and surround me pointing guns at me in my car shouting at me...that's a lot to process. i might try to nope the fuck out of there too. 

i think they went looking to fire those weapons. that was a ridiculous display, and in my opinion, a situation they created for themselves so they could play cowboy sheriff and shoot someone.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

let's entertain for a moment the allegation that the victim used the car as a weapon. these cops came looking like a goddamn delta force in the bed of a pickup truck with assault rifles. you jump out and surround me pointing guns at me in my car shouting at me...that's a lot to process. i might try to nope the fuck out of there too. 

i think they went looking to fire those weapons. that was a ridiculous display, and in my opinion, a situation they created for themselves so they could play cowboy sheriff and shoot someone.

I don't know how ridiculous it was given it was a felony arrest of a guy with twelve prior felony convictions and a documented history of resisting arrest.

According to state Department of Public Safety records, Brown has been convicted on 12 felony drug charges, 12 charges of driving with a revoked license and 12 other misdemeanors since 1996. His last conviction was four years ago, and he was released from prison in August 2018.

Brown also has been charged 10 times with resisting arrest in the past 24 years. He was found guilty five times. On two other occasions, the charges were reduced, and three times they were dismissed.

https://www.wral.com/did-andrew-brown-s-criminal-history-justify-manpower-firepower-used-to-serve-warrant/19654220/

I cannot tell shit from the video posted on whether they had a reasonable belief that lethal force was needed to prevent their death or serious injury.  But this fucker's rap sheet absolutely justified rolling in heavy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Has this been released before?  4 clips so far at that twitter account:

Inconclusive, but there was nothing that could be seen in that video which would indicate even the slightest level of danger toward those Heroes.  Other video/angles may change that, but until those are shown that was closer to an execution than it was cops trying to defend themselves.

You've got the video Heroes.

Post it up.  If you've got nothing to hide.  Isn't that what you guys love to say all the time?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Inconclusive, but there was nothing that could be seen in that video which would indicate even the slightest level of danger toward those Heroes.  Other video/angles may change that, but until those are shown that was closer to an execution than it was cops trying to defend themselves.

This.

If that is all the video there is.....it would take a lot of other evidence to convince me not to convict.

He was running, not attacking.  He purposefully steered AROUND and AWAY from the officers.  That may have pissed them off.  They may have been rip roaring mad to see some asshole running.  Cool.  Enjoy your feelings, bitch about it all later back at the station.  But those feelings do not give you any legal right to issue the death penalty for the crime of evading arrest.  Which is what they did, by those appearances.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched all 4 videos on that Twitter feed.  Position still stands.  None of them were in any danger and the only contact made w/one was when Sandbox Boi put his hand out and touched the car as dude was trying to get away.  Sorry Heroes, that's you being a dumbass and/or just looking for a reason to go into "Blast 'em!" mode.  Not buying your stories.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

If that is all the video there is.....it would take a lot of other evidence to convince me not to convict.

He was running, not attacking.  He purposefully steered AROUND and AWAY from the officers.  That may have pissed them off.  They may have been rip roaring mad to see some asshole running.  Cool.  Enjoy your feelings, bitch about it all later back at the station.  But those feelings do not give you any legal right to issue the death penalty for the crime of evading arrest.  Which is what they did, by those appearances.

100% this.  They were pissed that he was getting away.  That's why he had to be killed and they needed pretext for the killing, so one of 'em dutifully touches the car w/his hand and that's when the bullets fly.

They're all liars.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

But this fucker's rap sheet absolutely justified rolling in heavy.

This aint wrong either. Youre not sending in the neighborhood watch and a community ombudsman for a felony arrest with that sort of history. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The cops didn’t let him drive away to be caught another day because their fefe’s got hurt. So they murdered him. 

but yeah, the family lawyer is full of shit too. 

Society won’t miss the dead guy.  His wrongful death suit in a just world would be worth about $50.    

It still maybe murder.  Unless he tried to run them over or somehow the fleeing felon rule applies, it very may well be murder.   

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Society won’t miss the dead guy.  His wrongful death suit in a just world would be worth about $50.    

It still maybe murder.  Unless he tried to run them over or somehow the fleeing felon rule applies, it very may well be murder.   

pretty bold to assign a hard value to a human life. 

17 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't know how ridiculous it was given it was a felony arrest of a guy with twelve prior felony convictions and a documented history of resisting arrest.

According to state Department of Public Safety records, Brown has been convicted on 12 felony drug charges, 12 charges of driving with a revoked license and 12 other misdemeanors since 1996. ...

Brown also has been charged 10 times with resisting arrest in the past 24 years. ...

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

This aint wrong either. Youre not sending in the neighborhood watch and a community ombudsman for a felony arrest with that sort of history. 

Does his conviction history include any reference to weapons or violence?  I mean, he's obviously a reprobate, but was he a violent/dangerous one?  Also, knowing how the police work, the "resisting arrest" charges are probably 90% bogus (even the convictions). 

• Hook 'Em 3

Was reading the captions at the gym (the only time I see news channels) and the DA seemed like a real piece of garbage.

When you employ a car in a manner that puts officers' lives in danger, that is a threat. And I don't care what direction you're going - forward, backward, sideways. I don't care if you're stationary, and neither do our courts and our case law.

52 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Does his conviction history include any reference to weapons or violence?  I mean, he's obviously a reprobate, but was he a violent/dangerous one?  Also, knowing how the police work, the "resisting arrest" charges are probably 90% bogus (even the convictions). 

Well 10 resisting arrest charges is a lot.  And 12 felony convictions?  You come in heavy on that felony arrest.  Because the guy is probably looking at a very long sentence or life if convicted. I don't blame them one bit for gearing up on this arrest.

Whether they committed murder -- I cannot see shit in those videos.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Well 10 resisting arrest charges is a lot.  And 12 felony convictions?  You come in heavy on that felony arrest.  Because the guy is probably looking at a very long sentence or life if convicted. I don't blame them one bit for gearing up on this arrest.

Whether they committed murder -- I cannot see shit in those videos.

Any convictions related to violence? Any that would indicate he is any sort of threat? Drug convictions are clearly non-violent.  

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Resisting arrest.  5 convictions.

I understand resisting arrest is typically a misdemeanor and would be things like not giving up hands to be cuffed, running away, or not opening a door.  None of those are violent. 

If he was violent towards an officer, he would have been charged with assault or battery.  Assault or battery against an office would be evidence of violence.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

The history posted in that post doesn’t tell me that. 

I read drug convictions-non violent offenses

driving without a license/suspended- nonviolent offenses

the misdemeanors- don’t know no specifics 

the resisting arrest- only 5 of 10 stuck. It’s a made up or exaggerated charge some portion of the time so how many of the 5 convictions were just based on the cops’ word/report?  Resisting could just be fleeing- like he was doing when they killed him.

so I disagree that his rap sheet as presented necessitates a strike force to go get him. But also it doesn’t mean they don’t- it’s inconclusive.

****i typed that out like an hour ago but had no signal- just wanted to get it posted although it has already been touched on***

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Resisting arrest.  5 convictions.

dude, police sometimes charge you with only resisting arrest even if they don't charge you with other crimes. please don't be bothered if i roll my eyes about that sort of conviction. 

these guys came in heavy, but apparently blind. how difficult would it have been to catch this guy mowing his lawn or some other silly bullshit by keeping a set of eyes on the house? if the car is really that dangerous, maybe don't try to apprehend him in his car or his house? 

i stand by my assertion that these guys got their desired outcome from this encounter.

According to state Department of Public Safety records, Brown has been convicted on 12 felony drug charges, 12 charges of driving with a revoked license and 12 other misdemeanors since 1996. His last conviction was four years ago, and he was released from prison in August 2018.

from your link provided earlier in the thread. not a single weapons or assault charge or conviction. this is another case of a dude caught up in a justice system designed to perpetuate recidivism. 

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

dude, police sometimes charge you with only resisting arrest even if they don't charge you with other crimes. please don't be bothered if i roll my eyes about that sort of conviction. 

these guys came in heavy, but apparently blind. how difficult would it have been to catch this guy mowing his lawn or some other silly bullshit by keeping a set of eyes on the house? if the car is really that dangerous, maybe don't try to apprehend him in his car or his house? 

i stand by my assertion that these guys got their desired outcome from this encounter.

from your link provided earlier in the thread. not a single weapons or assault charge or conviction. this is another case of a dude caught up in a justice system designed to perpetuate recidivism. 

And, at least at the federal level, they love to use the presence of a weapon, whether brandished or otherwise, as an enhancement on a drug charge/conviction.  If they raid or search your house and find drugs and a .22 rifle, you just got an extra 5 years, 7 if brandished, 10 if discharged. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/924 sub c.

I'm not sure if that shows up on a rap sheet, but if they want to make a drug crime into a "crime of violence" they can surely do so.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is another case of a dude caught up in a justice system designed to perpetuate recidivism. 

after 36 charges or so, 12 of which are felony, at some point you kinda need to stop blaming the system...

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Yep.  It's the game.  Just like they'll call the Hero who reached out and put his hand on the car as dude was trying to get away "Assault of a Peace Officer".  So much of it is pure bullshit.  Police reports are works of fiction in many, many cases.  Probably the majority of cases.

Get pulled over for suspected DWI and the cop will tell you (at least they used to), "Just sit here on your bumper while I run your license".  You know, so that the camera can get a good shot of you sitting on the car while he figures out exactly how he's going to word his, "Had to use vehicle to support himself" lie in the official report.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg of the bag of tricks they use and use with gusto.

"Resisting arrest".  LMAO.  Maybe he did and maybe he didn't, but pardon me if I don't take off my hat and hang it on that Hero hook.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

after 36 charges or so, 12 of which are felony, at some point you kinda need to stop blaming the system...

Well, you could maybe blame it for not teaching any job or life skills while in the joint and just releasing you back into a world where you can't get a decent job.

Pretty sure most drug criminals got into it because of addiction and lack of other opportunity.  Neither of those are great choices, obviously.  But they get released, broken, right back into the community and milieu that produced them.  The outcome is mostly predetermined.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i also roll my eyes at felony drug convictions. all it takes is one and a life is ruined. i've told this story before but my recently passed sister (rest in peace, sis) got caught out during the depth of a meth addiction with about 1 gram too much, which pushed her into felony territory. she went to gatesville, which was a horrifying experience for her. once she got out, her options for making a living were extremely limited. to top that off, she was effectively targeted by law enforcement for the most minor offenses, subjected to searches without real probable cause, etc. in some ways, she made her own bad luck, but in other ways, the system is designed to totally fuck people over for the smallest things. since that felony conviction, she was in and out of trouble with the law for various reasons, be it driver license fuckery (don't get me started on surcharges designed for someone to fail financially and have their license once again revoked), or the odd loose pill. 

like i said, she sometimes made her own bad luck, but once she was a felon, her life was fucked, and she died a way too early death for it. once someone gets caught up in the felony system, it is completely designed for recidivism. i could easily see someone feeling that their only way to make a living post their first felony conviction is on the other side of the law. mostly because, as a society, we don't let them back on this side of the law.

that's probably an issue for another thread, but i still find it most telling that he had no violence or weapons charges on his record. these dudes wanted to be cowboy sheriffs and now the justice system is going to let them get away with it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1