Transfer LB Ben Davis

RGBIII

Man, if we get Gaoteote, our front 6 is about to be freaky.

Imagine a starting lineup of Ben Davis, Keondre Coburn, Alfred Collins, Ray Thornton, Palaie Gaoteote and Demarvion Overshown.

Athleticism for days! And in Coach K’s scheme, these plug and play hybrid guys are gonna be scary because you don’t really know who might be rushing, dropping into coverage, covering the box etc.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

No, anyone who's saying he will be an ILB hasn't been paying attention.

So we took 3 edge rushers this offseason. I guess that says all we need to know about the roster. I’m a little worried all 3 are going to be a little JAGish, but none of them have played that much so who knows. 

23 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

He's finishing classes next month, right?  How long before he's on campus?  Hope he's been staying in shape.

Nah. I bet he’s just sitting in his room eating cheese whizz and throwing away his only chance to start in college and get drafted. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So we took 3 edge rushers this offseason. I guess that says all we need to know about the roster. I’m a little worried all 3 are going to be a little JAGish, but none of them have played that much so who knows. 

Nah. I bet he’s just sitting in his room eating cheese whizz and throwing away his only chance to start in college and get drafted. 

I wasn't insulating that.  Curious if he's been in an S&C program.  There's a big difference between that an individually working out.  Maybe Sark and Saban had an arrangement - just throwing shit on a wall.  That said, it shouldn't make a big difference if he's enrolling in Summer.

Edited by Hmmm

39 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

I wasn't insulating that.  Curious if he's been in an S&C program.  There's a big difference between that an individually working out.  Maybe Sark and Saban had an arrangement - just throwing shit on a wall.  That said, it shouldn't make a big difference if he's enrolling in Summer.

Good because I don't know how you would do that.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

What is the story with him, why didn't he really pan out at Bama? 

Sounds like a case of low confidence playing behind huge names at lb and trouble picking up the defense.

Seemed to pick it up a bit this past season at olb, which is what I assume he will play here.

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I wonder if our staff was ever able to evaluate him themselves, him being at Alabama and all. It's like a state secret.

No way our HC / offensive guru would have any idea what it's like playing against this guy.

Farrell: https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-tracker-former-5-star-lb-commits-to-texas

Farrell’s take: It’s puzzling how Davis didn’t pan out as he was a can’t-miss prospect out of high school and it’s very hard to gauge his potential impact at another program. Will we see the star we saw out of high school and the huge linebacker who could move so well? Or will he struggle to find his place in the Longhorns rotation? Some schools didn't get involved at all because of a lack or production over many years and others recruited him as hard as he was out of high school. I'm wary and thus the low impact rating.

Impact rating: 4.9 out of 10

4.1- 6.0 — A solid impact can be expected in the right scenario and has the potential to battle for a starting job.

More Farrell:

Depth is what is needed at Texas at the linebacker position and Davis will help provide that depth, but another recent transfer, Devin Richardson from New Mexico State, probably has more of a chance as he can play inside or outside. Davis, who was a five-star recruit for Alabama back in 2016, is a huge linebacker at around 260 pounds and he could slide down to defensive end as a situation player.

Texas has to replace pass rusher Joseph Ossai in its defense, but Davis doesn’t have the same skill set, so the JACK position needs a replacement. The Longhorns also lost leading tackler Juwan Mitchell to the transfer portal. But enter Richardson, LSU transfer Ray Thornton, Notre Dame transfer Ovie Oghoufo and Davis and you have some added to depth to go along with expected starters DeMarvion Overshown and David Gbenda.

Davis will play, but likely as a backup JACK to Thornton or someone else. The Texas fans on Inside the 40 Acres message board at Orangebloods.com also feel he’s a depth addition only.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

<csb>You just solved a 30 year mystery.  I remember when The Chronic came out in 92/93 and wondering why Snoop Dogg (and DOC) were wearing the same shirt my grandpa wore.  We called them his 'gorilla shirts' - he wore those quarter-zip shirts, with the gorilla on the pocket label, nearly everyday of his life.   After he passed I had hoped I would be able to grab those shirts but my parents had long since donated them and no one had any idea what brand they were or where he bought them from.  I tried googling years ago but never found Ben Davis.

I'm on the Ben Davis site buying those shirts right now. </csb>

That's badass your granddad was a true OG. Like I said, I still wear it every now and then but during my teens, it was my primary wardrobe to go along with my Nike Cortez. 

Not many will appreciate that "CSB" about your grand pop's but that's pretty cool to me, indeed, and glad I could solve that mystery for you.

Edited by BigHorn'13
ETA-- obviously beware that you'll get a couple weird looks from people depending where you go lol
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...