Delbert McClinton retires

smwhorn

https://bestclassicbands.com/delbert-mcclinton-retirement-4-25-21/

Saw him in Austin many times and at Rockefeller's in Houston a few as well.  He was at Rockefeller's in the mid 80's and the show was sold out.  I told the door guy who was checking tickets that I'd stand in the bathroom the whole time if he'd just let me in the place.  Did not happen.

It's been a great ride Delbert.

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

He was great. His wife ran a STRICT ship.

My dad got the call to join his band in the late 80’s. It did not pay well lol.

Who was your dad?  PM me if you don't want that info out.  Reason I ask is I was living in Birmingham in the late 80s and Rick Kurtz (one of my favorite guitarists in the world) toured with Delbert about half of the time.  Rick didn't say it but another musician told me that Rick only toured half time with Delbert because no one could hang in for a full year with him so he had to have a team of musicians to make up his touring band.  

Delbert played one of the best sounding (and looking) Strats I've ever seen.  

B-_CAwUUsAA1Jj9?format=jpg&name=small

CSB: Was fortunate enough to hang out with Bruce Channel and others that were visiting Bum Phillips for one of Bums "pickin' parties" that he had every year at his place in Goliad.  Bruce, his wife, Carl Mauck, Bill Bradley, Dan Pastorini among others stayed at my dads ranch across the road.  They told the story of Delbert playing harmonica on Bruces "Hey Baby" while touring Britain in 1962 and that John Lennon was there and got some pointers from Delbert after the show.  You can hear the influence in "Love Me Do" and others. 60 years is a pretty good run!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Absolutely murders it.

Love the comments about people arguing who was on the tele. That is Rick Kurtz on that killer slide.  That is Kurtz' white Strat on the stand but according to some credits, Lee Roy was on the same ACL show.   I found a video with Parnell using the slide on his ring finger and in this clip, it is on his played it. 

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1