St. John's/St. Thomas VI

HoustonHorn

We did St John/Virgin Gorda for my honeymoon back in 2003. Caneel Bay/Little Dix. Was an amazing trip. St John was amazing. The ex is/was not.

Wife #2 has spent many days/months on sailboats down there. Her college BF’s parents owned/operated Sunsail sailboat charters before selling it to The Moorings. I would love to charter a boat with another couple or two and make that trip one day.

Heading to St John in August (hurricane season - wewt!). My gf is turning 40 and one of her besties and hubby live on the Coral Bay side. She's not much of a drinker so this will be a sight seeing and relaxing trip. Still pinning down accommodations but generally looking through airbnb/vrbo. 

ack! 😜 well i quit hesitating and i booked flights! 

flights are changeable, and i'm assuming if a hurricane comes the hotel is going to be fine with a cancellation/reschedule lol...so now i'll just cross my fingers for that specific week🤞🤞🤞

i emailed his boss today and gave her the dates so she can make sure he doesn't put anything critical on his schedule those dates. 

he is going to be very surprised and i am going to bank a lot of points! 😎

so we got hotel (Secret Harbour) and flights...anything else i need to plan for beforehand?? (we won't be driving)

13 hours ago, mchookem said:

ack! 😜 well i quit hesitating and i booked flights! 

flights are changeable, and i'm assuming if a hurricane comes the hotel is going to be fine with a cancellation/reschedule lol...so now i'll just cross my fingers for that specific week🤞🤞🤞

i emailed his boss today and gave her the dates so she can make sure he doesn't put anything critical on his schedule those dates. 

he is going to be very surprised and i am going to bank a lot of points! 😎

so we got hotel (Secret Harbour) and flights...anything else i need to plan for beforehand?? (we won't be driving)

going to SJ in mid-August. I too am hoping the hurricanes take a week off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, bigcigar said:

Going early august. Early season activity (elsa) makes me anxious.

guess you're up first 😎 will be interested to hear your experience...heard 4th hand that many places are back to shutting down, but will wait for some current confirmation here before i panic lol. good luck...

1200x0.jpg

Edited by mchookem

35 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so far have been able to make dinner reservations and a couples massage for the trip. I'm planning on a lot of beach time and exploring what I can by jeep, so even if the touristy stuff is shut down there will be plenty to do. assuming I don't get hurricaned out

recs? 😊

Recs?

Extra Virgin first, ZoZo's seems to be back open, 1864, La Tapa, Banana Deck, Morgan's Mango.  The first four restaurants are great but Extra Virgin is probably tops on the island now.  Head over to the other side of the island for lunch and hit Skinny Legs.  If you do a boat day then have floating tacos and drinks at Lime Out.

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

guess you're up first 😎 will be interested to hear your experience...heard 4th hand that many places are back to shutting down, but will wait for some current confirmation here before i panic lol. good luck...

1200x0.jpg

Oh…nice

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

recs? 😊

only one so far is Morgan's Mango. My gf is a pretty picky eater and they had the most varied menu. gonna play it by ear once we get there and see how much we wanna cook/eat at the airbnb and how much we want to eat out. gonna lean on the friends that live there for that.

For massage they recommended Spalala. Booked a 90-minute cbd massage for 2 on the patio of our airbnb. A little pricey at $420 (lulz) but fuck it, it's vacation. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I was told by the peeps that live there to bring cash. My guess is if it's not a resort or a larger business, cash is king.

I was guessing at that this morning. Im not entirely sure how much we’ll dine out vs eat at the rental yet so need to think it through. You and mchookem made me realize I haven’t really thought through the trip much yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Credit cards work pretty much everywhere on St. John.  You can take some cash if you want but it's still the US.  It's nothing like Isla Mujeres or Isla Holbox where cash is preferred.

do you live there? if not I will defer to the people who do, thanks. they said bring cash. Imma bring cash. 

I've been there more times than I can count and have many friends on the island.  We've never had a problem using credit cards there.  Taking SOME cash is always a good idea.  It simply isn't true.

Again, it is the US.  It's not a fucking third world country.

Edited by VABuckeye

BTW, enjoy.  It's an amazing island.  It's a shame that the BVI and COVID aren't getting along and you can't day trip there.

pretty sure I read they just opened BVI to tourists. what I don't know if i'm in USVI whether I need a passport to day trip or not. I have one, but my gf does not

They did but there's been a recent spike.  If you're vaccinated there's a couple of little hoops to jump through but unvaccinated people now have to quarantine for 7 day.

Yes, a passport is needed and there's a hefty (I think $175 right now) entry fee.

Here you go.  Updated July 16th.

July 16th, 2021 - Update:

Travel Authorization is Required for Entry to the BVI.

- Apply on-line on the BVI Gateway, a separate application for each traveler, no less than 48 hours prior to travel. https://bvigateway.bviaa.com- If you are flying into St Thomas, you will need to apply for the USVI Travel Authorization as well. https://usvitravelportal.com

- Receive a negative PCR Covid 19 test within five days and no less than 24 hours of travel (vaccinated travelers included).

- Order provisions online no less than one week prior to your arrival so that your provisions may be delivered on time for during your stay with us.

- Upload all documents in a PDF format to the Gateway no less than 24 hours prior to travel. Negative test results, proof of vaccination
(if available), proof of health insurance, travel itineraries, accommodation confirmation, and copy of passport will be required for each traveler.

- Once you arrive in Tortola, you will immediately receive a rapid Covid 19 test.

- Fully vaccinated travelers will be free to explore the BVI immediately- For unvaccinated travelers: You must remain on White Bay Villas property under quarantine. On day 7, you will receive a second Covid 19 test at the clinic in Great Harbor. Once you receive a negative result of your second test, you will be free to go anywhere in the BVI.

- If you are traveling back to the USVI, even if you are just passing through to get home, you will have to apply for travel authorization once more and test within 48 hours of travel unless you have proof of Antibody Test. Please visit the USVI Travel Portal for updated requirements.

I've been there more times than I can count and have many friends on the island.  We've never had a problem using credit cards there.  Taking SOME cash is always a good idea.  It simply isn't true.
Again, it is the US.  It's not a fucking third world country.

This.

The only place that didn’t take cards were the taxis to the ferry. Those are cash only.

The Trunk Bay entrance fee is cash only I think. But no one was even working the days we went so we didn’t pay.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Here you go.  Updated July 16th.

July 16th, 2021 - Update:

Travel Authorization is Required for Entry to the BVI.

- Apply on-line on the BVI Gateway, a separate application for each traveler, no less than 48 hours prior to travel. https://bvigateway.bviaa.com- If you are flying into St Thomas, you will need to apply for the USVI Travel Authorization as well. https://usvitravelportal.com

- Receive a negative PCR Covid 19 test within five days and no less than 24 hours of travel (vaccinated travelers included).

- Order provisions online no less than one week prior to your arrival so that your provisions may be delivered on time for during your stay with us.

- Upload all documents in a PDF format to the Gateway no less than 24 hours prior to travel. Negative test results, proof of vaccination
(if available), proof of health insurance, travel itineraries, accommodation confirmation, and copy of passport will be required for each traveler.

- Once you arrive in Tortola, you will immediately receive a rapid Covid 19 test.

- Fully vaccinated travelers will be free to explore the BVI immediately- For unvaccinated travelers: You must remain on White Bay Villas property under quarantine. On day 7, you will receive a second Covid 19 test at the clinic in Great Harbor. Once you receive a negative result of your second test, you will be free to go anywhere in the BVI.

- If you are traveling back to the USVI, even if you are just passing through to get home, you will have to apply for travel authorization once more and test within 48 hours of travel unless you have proof of Antibody Test. Please visit the USVI Travel Portal for updated requirements.

so, no. lol. oh well. guess we'll have to go back in "freer" times

Used to be $50 I think?  Because of COVID it has been a while.  We last sailed the BVI in 2019.  I think they've jacked the fee up to discourage day trippers from coming.  All I know if that Great Harbour and White Bay on Jost have to be hurting for business.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Holy shit, somehow I'm a week out from this trip. Getting covid tested on Wed - earlies I can do it. Want to give myself some room in case I need to test again for some reason.

I'm fucking stoked. This is gonna be a great trip!

If you're getting it at Walgreens, I hate to say it, but that document is easily forged. It's just a text printout with no letter head. You could make your own negative test in about 20 seconds in MS Word.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

If you're getting it at Walgreens, I hate to say it, but that document is easily forged. It's just a text printout with no letter head. You could make your own negative test in about 20 seconds in MS Word.

nah, going to a minor emergency clinic that is CLIA certified (from the list here: https://qcor.cms.gov/main.jsp). I don't think they will accept an OTC test

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nah, going to a minor emergency clinic that is CLIA certified (from the list here: https://qcor.cms.gov/main.jsp). I don't think they will accept an OTC test

It's not OTC. It's a  rapid test you schedule on the Walgreen's website. You go through the drive through, they give you the swab and you swab your own nose, pack it and give it back. Results are in your email box in about 2 hours. It's free.  All of us did it for the USVI in June.

Edited by CooterBrown

Just now, CooterBrown said:

It's not OTC. It's a  rapid test you schedule on the Walgreen's website. You go through the drive through, they give you the swab and you swab your own nose, pack it and give it back. Results are in your email box in about 2 hours. It's free.  All of us did it for the USVI in June.

oh, nice. thanks for the clarification. there's a minor emergency clinic a few blocks from my place. I assume they offer something similar. If not, I'll go there. And if not, I'll do what you're inferring. heh

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh, nice. thanks for the clarification. there's a minor emergency clinic a few blocks from my place. I assume they offer something similar. If not, I'll go there. And if not, I'll do what you're inferring. heh

Call and check. Before I found out about the free test at Walgreens, the urgent care clinics on Burnet were each over $200 for the test. The Walgreens test is specifically listed on the USVI portal as being accepted. Since I was paying for 4 of us, $0 was much better than $800.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

well motherfuck...

U.S. CDC warns against travel to...USVI 😟 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-advises-against-travel-greece-ireland-iran-us-virgin-islands-2021-08-02/

good luck @Longhorn_Fan68...will be looking forward to your trip report!

eh, I'm vaxed so I'm not worried about it. and I'll be on St John rather than the "big" island so hopefully we're good. yolo!

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The locals are very strict about wearing masks and they are not shy about telling tourists to wear their mask correctly.  I'd be much less concerned there than at any Wal Mart in the US.

fine with me. but really, just planning to chill at the beach and explore. I'm not expecting to hobnob too much

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So far so good! Been a bit rainy overall great so far. 

Btw, whoever said don't bring cash was quite wrong. Covid plus down season means fewer places are open and the ones that are want cash. Bring cash

View from our place. Hoping to get out and explore today

20210810_130611.jpg

Leaving today. Looks like we had similar views. 

F52FDA24-1AA0-4A56-A9D0-0B4738E40D84.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

i'm going to ask a really stupid question...currency=U.S. $$ right?

*hangs head in shame* lol

Yes, it's the United States Virgin Islands.  lol

ETA:  I did not say don't bring cash.  I did say that for the most part places take credit cards and 99.9% of the businesses in Cruz Bay take cash.  If you're on the east bum fuck side of the island then yeah, you need cash.

Edited by VABuckeye

8 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Yes, it's the United States Virgin Islands.  lol

ETA:  I did not say don't bring cash.  I did say that for the most part places take credit cards and 99.9% of the businesses in Cruz Bay take cash.  If you're on the east bum fuck side of the island then yeah, you need cash.

Er, um, yeah, that's where I'm staying. Lol