Your Favorite Monologue

MoJames

23 hours ago, jeevsie said:

oblig

Meh.  Bart Reagor in a movie.  If you don’t know who Bart Reagor is, 1) good for you and 2) you can google audio of his ‘inspriational messages’ to his organization.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, tantric superman said:

Great scene. The other one from that movie was Queeg's break down on the witness stand.

That movie has always been such a mixed bag for me. Every scene involving the main characters of Bogart, Van Johnson, Ferrar, McMurray, and most of the supporting characters was brilliant. Robert Francis and May Wynn were totally out of their depth in the movie, and all the scenes centered around them were bad. 

I didn't see the movie until after reading the book, and there isn't enough time in the movie to explore what happened after the mutiny, but the Hollywood tacked on ending of Willie getting assigned to a new ship with his old captain was terrible. 

In the book, the second half of the book is as riveting as the part with the mutiny. 

In the book, the mutiny takes place about half way through, and it follows the crew of the Caine through the end of the war until it goes to the junk yard. 

Last line:

"Torn paper was flying in the air over the victorious marchers, and now and then a scrap drifted down and brushed the face of the last captain of the Caine."

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

It's just the scene that is considered to have launched into critical aplomb what is widely considered to be the best written show in television history (not the best show, but the best written show).  The scene is a tour-de-force of meta writing that allows characters, through their ad pitches, to speak to more macro slices of their own arcs.  Obviously it has the benefit of history from which to draw the eventual appeal of the product.  But the writing of that monologue, and its subsequent delivery, are lauded by a breadth of people as being among the best in television history and certainly catapulted that show into historical stature.  It is nowhere near by favorite scene in that show, but it is so important, and perfectly delivered, for so many reasons.  

To say, "Not a good monologue, man."  ??? Dah fuH?  

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

lol, you should maybe stick to things you know something about. 

If guys like us did that, we’d never leave the house!

But seriously, sorry for hurting your feelings with the net rep. In hindsight I guess I just have responded or something, just didn’t think it was a great monologue as a stand-alone, and even as part of the context of the show I think it’s extremely overrated by the internet. Again, nothing personal.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

If guys like us did that, we’d never leave the house! Sorry for hurting your feelings bro, just didn’t think it was a great monologue as a stand-alone, and even as part of the context of the show I think it’s extremely overrated by the internet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's just the scene that is considered to have launched into critical aplomb what is widely considered to be the best written show in television history (not the best show, but the best written show).  The scene is a tour-de-force of meta writing that allows characters, through their ad pitches, to speak to more macro slices of their own arcs.  Obviously it has the benefit of history from which to draw the eventual appeal of the product.  But the writing of that monologue, and its subsequent delivery, are lauded by a breadth of people as being among the best in television history and certainly catapulted that show into historical stature.  It is nowhere near by favorite scene in that show, but it is so important, and perfectly delivered, for so many reasons.  

Yea, I guess I have a “unpopular tv show monologue opinion” to share on that thread when it arises!

I don’t like the monologue and think it’s extremely overrated by people and critics who more or less align to what you posted. Sorry for existing!

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

But seriously, sorry for hurting your feelings with the net rep. In hindsight I guess I just have responded or something, just didn’t think it was a great monologue as a stand-alone, and even as part of the context of the show I think it’s extremely overrated by the internet. Again, nothing personal.

no feelings hurt, friendo.  just said the neg rep was weird, which it was.

i understand you don't have anything valuable to add to the conversation, which is why you repped instead of responded.  if i was you, i would've done likewise.

• Haha 1

The previously posted Henry V scene is fucking perfect. I love everything about it, and Patrick Doyle's soundtrack is a perfect compliment.

Aside from that, you could probably populate a long thread from West Wing monologues alone- starting, of course, with the two cathedrals rant.

But sticking to movies, I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet.  If you simply read the words on the page without context you probably wouldn't think too much of it.  But the way in which it is shot and performed is chilling.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

no feelings hurt, friendo.  just said the neg rep was weird, which it was.

i understand you don't have anything valuable to add to the conversation, which is why you repped instead of responded.  if i was you, i would've done likewise.

Exactly. It was just a way to disagree without getting all into it and having a whole thing about it, which we ended up doing anyways. No good deed goes unpunished.

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Exactly. It was just a way to disagree without getting all into it and having a whole thing about it, which we ended up doing anyways. No good deed goes unpunished.

better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Lobo
24 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I’m partial to Rutger Hauer’s “Tears” at the end of Bladerunner. The line about starships burning off of the shoulder of Orion has always stayed with me. 

I can see how that stirs up emotions in a man.  It's close to memorial day and we all lost a lot of relatives at the Tannhauser Battles.  Plus it was all of 19 seconds.  Those wounds run...........pretty deep. 

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

this is well put, i hadn't read it until now.

the ability to create an emotional connection to both a product and a person made don draper one of the most complex and mystifying contradictory characters in modern television history.  that scene, within the context of the episode, season, and series was extraordinarily pivotal in the relationship draper had with the viewer.

and i agree, it is not my favorite scene in the series either, but it's extremely effective.

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

True story: Speech was ripped almost wholesale from a speech T Boone Pickens gave to the Amarillo Rotary Club. My Dad was there to see it. He had the worst case of Deja Vu when he saw this movie in theaters.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

I won't lie, some of my favorites are already in the thread.

Surprised I didn't see this one, yet.

Not that it matters- I'm just glad to see someone appreciates it as much as I do- but it's 5 or 6 posts up from yours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
14 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Finest killers of men and indians...

The guy in the middle, Conway Twill.  He looks like Marjorie Taylor Greene with a mustache. 

Very underrated Jarmusch film.  Gonna have to find that online for free and give it another watch this weekend.  It makes for a nice Mother's Day movie, right?