Matt Coleman

Machinator

And is on track to graduate the Moody College with a degree in Communication & Leadership and a minor from McCombs, both very vigorous programs.  

Best of luck Matt.  Hook 'em! 

• 1 month later...

if Matt were 6'3" i could see him carving out a nice career for himself, but he's not very big, so it's going to be an uphill battle. that said, i've known a ton of guys who've had very long careers in Europe, and from where I sit, I would *much* rather be a star player who travels europe, competing for/winning titles as a primary player for 10-15 years than to be some guy who spends his prime busting his ass to try and just stick in the league.

i have a buddy from HS who's played in Greece, France, Monaco, Istanbul, Slovenia, Croatia, Russia, and more. He's been an all-star and a dunk contest champion in France, a league winner in Croatia, he led Monaco to the Basketball Champions League semifinals, he played in the Eurobasket competition as a member of the Bosnian national team, i mean he's done it all. he has a beautiful wife, and three kids who have grown up traveling the world, exposed to all kinds of different cultures and people. i'm telling you man- i would love for Coleman to stick in the league, but i think he could really be a star in Europe, and what's more important, he could be a team leader on some title winning teams. Matt has that competitive spirit and winning mentality, and i'd love to see him spend a decade+ tearing it up in Europe.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Good point.  And Matt did well in the classroom, degree from the acclaimed Moody College of Communications and minor from McCombs School of Business.  With his background and attitude, I think he could have a great career being a starter in Europe as opposed to hopping from one G-league team to another from Iowa to  Alabama.  

I've listened to guys like Buckman describe their playing career abroad and other former Longhorns describe the grind of trying to catch onto an NBA roster for a half season, and Buckman's thing definitely sounded more fun.  

Like Shadow Op's buddy...I'd take the PJ Tucker route all day/every day as well.

Travel the world in Europe for 5 years or so, hone skills, get better, get a shot in the NBA and make a cool $50M in the process.

After my career was over, I'd probably settle over there too.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:12 AM, shadow_operative said:

if Matt were 6'3" i could see him carving out a nice career for himself, but he's not very big, so it's going to be an uphill battle. that said, i've known a ton of guys who've had very long careers in Europe, and from where I sit, I would *much* rather be a star player who travels europe, competing for/winning titles as a primary player for 10-15 years than to be some guy who spends his prime busting his ass to try and just stick in the league.

i have a buddy from HS who's played in Greece, France, Monaco, Istanbul, Slovenia, Croatia, Russia, and more. He's been an all-star and a dunk contest champion in France, a league winner in Croatia, he led Monaco to the Basketball Champions League semifinals, he played in the Eurobasket competition as a member of the Bosnian national team, i mean he's done it all. he has a beautiful wife, and three kids who have grown up traveling the world, exposed to all kinds of different cultures and people. i'm telling you man- i would love for Coleman to stick in the league, but i think he could really be a star in Europe, and what's more important, he could be a team leader on some title winning teams. Matt has that competitive spirit and winning mentality, and i'd love to see him spend a decade+ tearing it up in Europe.

Buddy of mine from high school’s younger brother did the same thing and loved every fucking minute of it. It’s an outlet for NBA tweeners that didn’t exist back in the day, and it’s better for players and fans that it exists now…

On 6/28/2021 at 12:12 AM, shadow_operative said:

Coleman's probably about as good as Nic Moore was for SMU and Moore has had that career path you describe to a T. Maybe not quite that much success but his IG is filled with pics of him in badass places in Europe with his hot wife and 2 kids. 

Isaiah Taylor is living that same life in Europe (sans the wife and kids). His NBA career was thwarted by inopportune injuries, but hopefully he'll battle his way back soon enough. In the meantime travelling Europe throughout your 20s isn't a bad life to lead. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

• 3 months later...