Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

Just got the shitawful update that has had others up in arms for a few months. 

Impossible for my wife to read, non-intuitive graphics and placement, camouflaged text, and even laggier and buggier than before. 

I truly despise DirecTV. 15 years ago, I couldn't say enough good things about it, and now my anger and annoyance seems to grow daily. The decline began well before AT&T got involved, but they've certainly hastened the collapse. 

• Like 1

Right there with you bud.  After a decade or so, I finally called and cancelled service six months ago and they were supposed to send me a UPS label and box to return their six receivers.  Instead, I got a bill last month for all six receivers.  I called and reminded them I'll return their receivers if they'll just send me the label and box they promised.  Still waiting.  I imagine I'll get another bill for all six receivers again soon.

I switched to DirecTV Now for live TV.  That'll teach AT&T.  Doh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Impossible for my wife to read, non-intuitive graphics and placement, camouflaged text, and even laggier and buggier than before. 

I truly despise DirecTV. 15 years ago, I couldn't say enough good things about it, and now my anger and annoyance seems to grow daily. The decline began well before AT&T got involved, but they've certainly hastened the collapse. 

Got the same update this morning and I hate it.  The DVR list looks like shit.

• Like 1

Welcome to my world. I guess I've had this update for a few weeks. I can deal with all the "non-intuitive graphics and placement, camouflaged text, and even laggier and buggier than before". 

The main issue I have with this update is the series manager. Before the update, I could delete old series that I no longer wanted to record. Now, no way to get rid of cancelled series. My wife has a whole bunch of those crime and ghost series from ID, some no longer on tv, and I can't get rid of them. I called them a couple of weeks ago and the "call rep" had no idea what my problem was. I had to explain to him, several times that a series could not be cancelled, even if I could cancel upcoming recording for a series. 

They didn't beta test the update, as far as I can see, so now they have extra issues and have to "work in shifts" to try to fix it.

12 minutes ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

After 14 years as a loyal DirecTV customer, I switched almost 2 years ago to Dish.  Same channels, half the price and excellent customer service/technicians.

AT&T/DirecTV are worse than ISIS!

Sorry but if you like sports it isn't a contest. DirecTV is for sure a pain in the ass but they are far and away better than the other options.

23 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Welcome to my world. I guess I've had this update for a few weeks. I can deal with all the "non-intuitive graphics and placement, camouflaged text, and even laggier and buggier than before". 

The main issue I have with this update is the series manager. Before the update, I could delete old series that I no longer wanted to record. Now, no way to get rid of cancelled series. My wife has a whole bunch of those crime and ghost series from ID, some no longer on tv, and I can't get rid of them. I called them a couple of weeks ago and the "call rep" had no idea what my problem was. I had to explain to him, several times that a series could not be cancelled, even if I could cancel upcoming recording for a series. 

They didn't beta test the update, as far as I can see, so now they have extra issues and have to "work in shifts" to try to fix it.

The update does indeed blow. It's grown on me a little but the horrible DVR menu is just laughably bad. It always amazes me that not a single person says "hey guys this is impossible to read and the color with almost no borders is HORRIBLE"

I did find away to make it better I just can't remember exactly what I did to eliminate the preview but that helps a bit. Will post when I remember how. 

• Like 1

I've had DirecTV for years and have always liked it, but I agree that the customer service, which used to be awesome, has gone to shit since AT&T purchased them. 

I've considered going with DirecTV Now, but I kind of want to wait until they roll out a DVR. Anyone have any comments or opinions of DirecTV Now?

57 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Anyone have any comments or opinions of DirecTV Now?

It was a little buggy at first.  Had to reinstall it a couple of times, but it's been humming along nicely since.  You're right - no DVR and you can only watch two screens at a time.  They say they're "working on it."

We got it because the wife and kid moved to New Braunfels and I'm still in Southeast Texas until the end of the year, so we share.  They get all the locals out there and I get none here, which is a bummer because I'm old and still like to watch the evening news.

But 130+ channels for $55 a month isn't too bad

5 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

I just did this over lunch for a cancelled show. 

-Go into series recording and go to the series you want to delete

-click red delete button

-click delete all future recordings of this show

-Series deleted and no longer shows on the list

6 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Sorry but if you like sports it isn't a contest. DirecTV is for sure a pain in the ass but they are far and away better than the other options.

It is if the only sports you care about are Cowboys, Longhorns, Rangers, Cubs, Texas BB and Golf.  Throw in the MLB package I access through the Smart TV menu and that's everything I need.  Fuck the DirecTV NFL package.  Only Fantasy Football dorks need that crap.

36 minutes ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

It is if the only sports you care about are Cowboys, Longhorns, Rangers, Cubs, Texas BB and Golf.  Throw in the MLB package I access through the Smart TV menu and that's everything I need.  Fuck the DirecTV NFL package.  Only Fantasy Football dorks need that crap.

Golf- The major coverage is 2nd to none on DirecTV.

7 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Right there with you bud.  After a decade or so, I finally called and cancelled service six months ago and they were supposed to send me a UPS label and box to return their six receivers.  Instead, I got a bill last month for all six receivers.  I called and reminded them I'll return their receivers if they'll just send me the label and box they promised.  Still waiting.  I imagine I'll get another bill for all six receivers again soon.

I switched to DirecTV Now for live TV.  That'll teach AT&T.  Doh

lulz, now kids, THIS is how you humblebrag

42 minutes ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Out of market NFL team has me by the balls.

I have the second best package they offer for $20/mo for the next 11 months. This was after calling and acting like a stampy footed 4 year old over the telephone about this and that and fuck them. They also sent me a $200 visa gift card. I hate them, but then I also don't hate them. I've been a customer for 18 years. I cannot even begin to imagine what the notes on my account look like, but I would LOVE to read them.

6 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I have the second best package they offer for $20/mo for the next 11 months. This was after calling and acting like a stampy footed 4 year old over the telephone about this and that and fuck them. They also sent me a $200 visa gift card. I hate them, but then I also don't hate them. I've been a customer for 18 years. I cannot even begin to imagine what the notes on my account look like, but I would LOVE to read them.

Lol yeah I call and throw a fit every 6 months or so and they drop my price every time.  I use to go ape shit on them about not having LHN.

Yeah, ours flipped a couple nights ago. My in-laws have newer receivers and theirs changed a couple weeks or months ago. I didn't know mine was going to switch. You aren't lying about the interface. It's just weird. It's sad when the print is too fucking small on a goddamn 55-inch TV.

4 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I just did this over lunch for a cancelled show. 

-Go into series recording and go to the series you want to delete

-click red delete button

-click delete all future recordings of this show

-Series deleted and no longer shows on the list

I can't do it this way. The way you described, was how it used to work before this update.

Currently, I have this:

Old show, my wife recorded "The Assassination of Gianni Versace" She watched and deleted the episodes as she watched them. However when I go to Series Manager, the series is still listed. I can change the priority of the series and put it at the end of the list, #98. I can't delete the series. The only option I have when I highlight the series, is to Cancel Upcoming recordings (there are none) or press 1 to Move to Top, make it the highest priority. Even clicking the red button for a normal deletion just gives me the tone, and nothing happens.

I have one opening for recording another series, max is 99. At this time I'm not willing to try to add an extra one to see if I can force a deletion, in case a new show pops up that I want to record. This what was I described when I talked to customer no-service. He told me that they were aware and eventually would fix this, maybe.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Dumped DirecTV over a year ago for Xfinity.

No ragrets.  Zero.

Just wait until you have to deal with their customer service. As bad as DirecTV has gotten recently, no company has worse customer service than Comcast. Their service is pretty reliable but when it isn't, it is a nightmare to get it fixed.

I have an old HR-34, so I had no idea what you fellas were talking about. I did the googles, and see the 34 won't get the new interface.

I called to cancel a week ago, tired of exploding costs and an annoying code that told me I needed an upgrade... Fuck a new two year commitment. Turns out the Genie has five tuners, and two full sized legacy DVRs I use in the master and study have two apiece, and 9 tuners is more than the dish can handle. There is a fix, and I let them update it, and the problem has been resolved. I also got $50 off my bill, but I sure as shit ain't paying $20 😡

I like several cable channels, need HBO and like the whole home capability (my research shows Spectrum/TWC can't do this), so I don't have many options other than Dish. I've done the calculations, and I'm not sure the price difference will be significant, and I've always heard Dish isn't as good. 

I don't have a contract right now, so I'm still considering options.

For those with the new update, I just figured out how to delete a series...this is how I did it.

While on live tv

- Menu

- click left to Recordings, hit select button

- hit select button on View Playlist

- click left, and scroll down to Manage Recordings

- hit select button, then scroll to Series Manager

- scroll to show you want to delete, hit select button

- click left to Series Options

- it will then bring up the screen where you can click to Cancel Series, then hit select button

14 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Maybe Directv has a plan to "push subscribers" into the streaming service Directv Now... As then there is no equipment for the company to upkeep/ maintained...

giphy.gif

Edited by kopp0e

52 minutes ago, former alkie said:

For those with the new update, I just figured out how to delete a series...this is how I did it.

While on live tv

- Menu

- click left to Recordings, hit select button

- hit select button on View Playlist

- click left, and scroll down to Manage Recordings

- hit select button, then scroll to Series Manager

- scroll to show you want to delete, hit select button

- click left to Series Options

- it will then bring up the screen where you can click to Cancel Series, then hit select button

Only works on Series that have an upcoming recording. I tried the steps with one that didn't have an upcoming recording and Series Options was not available.

8 hours ago, bamachine said:

Just wait until you have to deal with their customer service. As bad as DirecTV has gotten recently, no company has worse customer service than Comcast. Their service is pretty reliable but when it isn't, it is a nightmare to get it fixed.

I had AT&T for internet. For every one English speaking Midwesterner you could understand, they had (approximately) 78 Bagladeshis and Pakiistanis that were damned near impossible to remotely achieve any semblance of communication over the phone.  It ain't like you can't point to the issue...  ugggh.  It was so fucking frustrating.

We have had one billing issue since we got Xfinity, and it solved easily over the phone. My experience with their reliability and quality of product/ service has been light years better.( knocking on wood.)

3 hours ago, slorch said:

I had AT&T for internet. For every one English speaking Midwesterner you could understand, they had (approximately) 78 Bagladeshis and Pakiistanis that were damned near impossible to remotely achieve any semblance of communication over the phone.  It ain't like you can't point to the issue...  ugggh.  It was so fucking frustrating.

We have had one billing issue since we got Xfinity, and it solved easily over the phone. My experience with their reliability and quality of product/ service has been light years better.( knocking on wood.)

I hear this. For me, It got so bad that I would even try the Spanish options, but I think they got Spanish as a second language Bangladesh and Pakistani operators. It is fucking horrible and any issue you have is like decoding top secret military codes.

That was my issue.  I'm all about pulling the "hardass" routine; however, I have a personal problem bitching at someone in The Philippines because the 4th receiver in my upstairs play room isn't working properly.  

I'd still rather deal with DirectTV over Comcast.  I damn near got arrested several years ago in dealing with them.

Day 1 - Cancel cable but want to keep internet.  Returned cable box per their instructions.

Day 30 - Get a bill for cable.  

Days 30-60 - Multiple calls explaining that I canceled cable and THEY HAVE THE BOX!

Day 61 - Get a bill for 2 months of unpaid cable.  Threats to cut off internet per past due bill.

Day 70 - Internet gets cut off.

Days 72 - 75 More phone calls.  No internet.  

Day 76 - They finally admit their mistake, no past due bill, BUT they want me to pay a reconnection fee of $50 to turn the internet back on.

Day 77 - In person visit to customer service center.  Absolutely lose it when I'm told that they will not drop reconnection fee.  Ask for a supervisor and am told, "I don't have one".  At this point, I'm shadowed by 2 security guards until leaving.

• Like 1

I'm currently paying $15 a month for the ultimate package. We have free HBO because of our cell phone plans.

Calling this weekend because a discount is about nto expire in our internet. I'll complain and they'll drop the price.

The new guide sucks but I can't find anything close to the deal I'm getting.

I've had the update for a couple of months now.  I still fucking hate it.   I can't fathom who thought it was a good idea.    Another issue, I hardly ever use On Demand to watch HBO/Showtime shows and just record them, but I missed some recordings and hardly any episodes of current series is on demand.  WTF.  Anyone else notice this?  Is this just how Direct TV Rolls?  My contract ends this summer.  I"ll be either getting a much better deal or moving on.   

Been a “loyal” customer since 2011 and agree it’s gone downhill.  Re-upped my contract end of last year but will start looking when it’s up. It’s no longer the strong value it used to be. 

What I like:

- huge capacity with new Genie. Recordings barely make a dent. 

-easily interlinked “Genie minis” to other TVs (far as I know others don’t offer this or it’s not as good)

-free HBO with ATT

- sports

-Audience channel 

-free streaming  with ATT

What I don’t like: 

- new interface. Much less intuitive and harder on the eyes. What others said about managing the recordings is 100% spot on. Huge step back. 

- recent price hike. Base packages went up significantly in January. 

- the wireless Genie. Avoid at all costs. Had to escalate and threaten to cancel before would put me back to a wired system at no charge. 

-customer service. Tier 1 is officially terrible. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I've had the update for a couple of months now.  I still fucking hate it.   I can't fathom who thought it was a good idea.    Another issue, I hardly ever use On Demand to watch HBO/Showtime shows and just record them, but I missed some recordings and hardly any episodes of current series is on demand.  WTF.  Anyone else notice this?  Is this just how Direct TV Rolls?  My contract ends this summer.  I"ll be either getting a much better deal or moving on.   

Series are kind of hit and miss. 

If you miss an episode or forget to DVR one or whatever the last like 3 or 4 episodes of a current season are usually up after a slight delay for the most recently aired episode. 

On 5/3/2018 at 10:13 PM, kopp0e said:

Maybe Directv has a plan to "push subscribers" into the streaming service Directv Now... As then there is no equipment for the company to upkeep/ maintained...

giphy.gif

Ding ding ding. AT&T wanted DirecTV for 2 things: leverage with content companies and spectrum. They don't get that spectrum if people are watching satellite (you'll probably be moved to DirecTV over 5G wireless if AT&T doesn't provide wireline service)

• Like 1

On May 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Gardner Barnes said:

What boxes are y’all using with this guide you hate? 

Updated one of our receivers (genie?) few years back so I could record more than two shows. Great for football season. Downstairs receiver is the original from years ago. The genie one changed the guide and shit last week as many have said. Hate it. Downstairs one has not changed yet. Wife will freak out if  or when it changes.

Had a quality CS call with them. The every 6 month "my bill is too high call" the customer service lady wouldn't send me to customer retention before letting me know I could save $5 a month if I deactivated one of my 5 receivers. I laughed in her face and the retention department cut my bill in half. 

On 5/3/2018 at 1:13 PM, mr. sunshine said:

It was a little buggy at first.  Had to reinstall it a couple of times, but it's been humming along nicely since.  You're right - no DVR and you can only watch two screens at a time.  They say they're "working on it."

We got it because the wife and kid moved to New Braunfels and I'm still in Southeast Texas until the end of the year, so we share.  They get all the locals out there and I get none here, which is a bummer because I'm old and still like to watch the evening news.

But 130+ channels for $55 a month isn't too bad

Had PSVUE and tried DTV Now for r the free Apple TV. When comparing the two I stopped using the DTV now after two days. Vue is far and away better for features (dvd, live tuners, guide and menus) and sports content. (No kids, have heard DTV is better for the kiddos but not my area). 

It reminds me of having cable in a hotel. Like going backwards ten years 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

42 minutes ago, BERT said:

Used to be nice and fast, click the button and the channel changed. Now it's a laggy son of a bitch. Aggravating

I still hate the guide but I have gotten used to it at least. What pisses me off is how it freezes 99% of the time when I try to get to the DVR.  

On 5/3/2018 at 3:43 PM, JimmyHoffa said:

Golf- The major coverage is 2nd to none on DirecTV.

Plus the Masters in 4K is nice and the occasional baseball or soccer game in 4K.  I will stick with DirecTV hoping they expand the 4K sports content.

The Texas game last year was nice to see in 4K as well.

After I was "updated" a few weeks, ago, sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds or more to open or close the program guide, or my list of recordings, or other settings or informational screens. (Using the HR54 DVR.) Who in their right mind would approve this as being an "ready to ship" interface? This kind of shit is too blatant to be an accident, it must be some kind of psychological warfare program.

Not to mention how long it took AT&T to actually give me the promotional discounts that were promised when I signed up. I can't help but suspect that they are routinely misbilling and using their agonizing customer service to wear down customers who don't have the patience to fight it.

All that being said, I'm still glad I changed from Time Warner because jesus wept I can't even...

So here's something, maybe I missed it but I skipped a bunch of posts because it's golf league night and I'm a little drunk. 

How the fuck can you tell what channels you are subscribed to and which ones you aren't? There does not seem to be a visual indicator. I hope I'm just missing it, because that would be absurd. 

On 5/8/2018 at 5:53 PM, Paper_jam said:

After I was "updated" a few weeks, ago, sometimes it takes 3-4 seconds or more to open or close the program guide, or my list of recordings, or other settings or informational screens. (Using the HR54 DVR.) Who in their right mind would approve this as being an "ready to ship" interface? This kind of shit is too blatant to be an accident, it must be some kind of psychological warfare program.

Not to mention how long it took AT&T to actually give me the promotional discounts that were promised when I signed up. I can't help but suspect that they are routinely misbilling and using their agonizing customer service to wear down customers who don't have the patience to fight it.

All that being said, I'm still glad I changed from Time Warner because jesus wept I can't even...

The promotional shit is one big lie. Signed up January of 17, was promised $200 in gift cards in which I never received. Took 2 days for the install because one of the guys never showed. Another $200 "given." A week later, shit ain't working right and someone has to come back out a day before Harvey. I'm "given" another $200 in gift cards and premium channels for 1 month. No one shows to fix problem because everything has been suspended due to Harvey. Mind you I'm living an hour west of SA. I don't think got a single drop of rain from Harvey. Call back and am "given" another $200 in gift cards and am "credited" for three months. When they finally come out, it's determined that the dish was incorrectly installed using dish network parts and "I'm lucky" for being in the 1st year of my contract because this type of service call usually costs $50. Lulz. I end up not checking my bill for 3 months because everything is supposed to be free and in December I start getting collection calls. They never credited shit and have no records of me being promised it (and I never got one gift card) and to top it all off, my subscription nearly doubled. Anyone ever heard of a 2 year contract where rates increase after the first year? I'm done with these fuckers. I'm currently looking for alternatives.

Edited by BigHorn'13