Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

The promotional shit is one big lie. Signed up January of 17, was promised $200 in gift cards in which I never received. Took 2 days for the install because one of the guys never showed. Another $200 "given." A week later, shit ain't working right and someone has to come back out a day before Harvey. I'm "given" another $200 in gift cards and premium channels for 1 month. No one shows to fix problem because everything has been suspended due to Harvey. Mind you I'm living an hour west of SA. I don't think got a single drop of rain from Harvey. Call back and am "given" another $200 in gift cards and am "credited" for three months. When they finally come out, it's determined that the dish was incorrectly installed using dish network parts and "I'm lucky" for being in the 1st year of my contract because this type of service call usually costs $50. Lulz. I end up not checking my bill for 3 months because everything is supposed to be free and in December I start getting collection calls. They never credited shit and have no records of me being promised it and to top it all off, my subscription nearly doubled. Anyone ever heard of a 2 year contract where rates increase after the first year? I'm done with these fuckers. I'm currently looking for alternatives.

Rates always increase if you don't call back in to get discounts. Call in and tell them your wife is complaining that you are paying too much and need to talk to customer retention. Don't listen to the customer service person that answered the phone tell them you want customer retention. 

You will get some or all of the following-

$20-$30 a month off for a year

free hbo for 6 months

free starz for 6 months

free cinemax for 6 months

free showtime for 6 months

free sports pack for 6 months

Plus possible other stupid discounts. It's a game that they play it's annoying as shit and a waste of time but I had to make my once every 6 months call 2 weeks ago and dropped my bill by close to $100 a month. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

So here's something, maybe I missed it but I skipped a bunch of posts because it's golf league night and I'm a little drunk. 

How the fuck can you tell what channels you are subscribed to and which ones you aren't? There does not seem to be a visual indicator. I hope I'm just missing it, because that would be absurd. 

The channels you receive are in a light gray, and the channels you don't receive (and which you apparently can no longer hide) are in a slightly darker shade of light gray. Or maybe I have it backwards. 

The shades are visually indistinguishable unless you are on a page of your guide that happens to feature both colors. 

It's probably not ADA compliant, and if it doesn't run afoul of any regulations, then the regulations need to be changed. 

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Rates always increase if you don't call back in to get discounts. Call in and tell them your wife is complaining that you are paying too much and need to talk to customer retention. Don't listen to the customer service person that answered the phone tell them you want customer retention. 

free hbo for 6 months

free starz for 6 months

Plus possible other stupid discounts. It's a game that they play it's annoying as shit and a waste of time but I had to make my once every 6 months call 2 weeks ago and dropped my bill by close to $100 a month. 

Just tried this and the call went straight to customer retention after me pushing 0 until I was transferred. No offers. No promotions. No channels given and 0 fucks on whether I walk or not. 

Fuck Directv.

10 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Just tried this and the call went straight to customer retention after me pushing 0 until I was transferred. No offers. No promotions. No channels given and 0 fucks on whether I walk or not. 

Fuck Directv.

Call at night. I find the customer retention people are better on the 2nd shift. 

Also just an FYI, nobody is ever transferred straight to customer retention. That isn't how their phone tree works. You either are paying next to nothing already or the person you talked to was being an asshole. 

Will do after I see what my options are. I've already threatened to cancel maybe twice before and this time around I will once I know I've got a backup. The main problem I have is I live in the boonies with shitty internet which really constrains my options. 

On your $200 reward card, you have to go on there site and fill something out to get it sent to you. They don't just send it. 

Something else to bitch about. When i would record, say South Park, it used to put all my episodes in order by season. OOOOHHH NOOOOOO, not anymore!!! Mother fuckers. 

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The channels you receive are in a light gray, and the channels you don't receive (and which you apparently can no longer hide) are in a slightly darker shade of light gray. Or maybe I have it backwards. 

The shades are visually indistinguishable unless you are on a page of your guide that happens to feature both colors. 

It's probably not ADA compliant, and if it doesn't run afoul of any regulations, then the regulations need to be changed. 

Thanks but this is wrong. They are exactly the same. I don't see a difference here unless I'm missing it?

27270496257_2cd7e0ae68_z.jpg40334741560_75cbef39e5_z.jpg

Actually, I think they are different. It's just such a minor difference that it's meaningless.

Here's a good example of what I'm griping about.

I get HBO but not Cinemax. Note the nearly indistinguishable difference in background color. It's noticeable when both are represented on the same screen, but without any contrast, it's meaningless. Definitely not a logical or defensible design scheme.

c386ca80389093a7fda382dedd794b10.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Fuck Directv.

I called a couple of weeks ago.  Basically told them that I used to pay less than $100 w/ sports/movie package.  Now I'm paying $140 w/o movie/few sports.  (This is mostly due to the fact that I went from 2 to 4 receivers and I added 4k content.)  Anyway, told them that I could get just about everything I ask for w/ my local cable provider @ around $100.  Told them that I didn't want to cancel DirectTV because I've been a customer for around 10 years but I'm not going to pay more for less.  

They added all the movie channels + sports channels and took $20 off my monthly bill.  It may be easier for some of us due to the longevity of our business.  

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Actually, I think they are different. It's just such a minor difference that it's meaningless.

Here's a good example of what I'm griping about.

I get HBO but not Cinemax. Note the nearly indistinguishable difference in background color. It's noticeable when both are represented on the same screen, but without any contrast, it's meaningless. Definitely not a logical or defensible design scheme.

c386ca80389093a7fda382dedd794b10.jpg

Ahh, I see it now. Thanks. I was looking at the background of the channel label box. 

You are correct though... Terrible design.

22 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

The On Demand shit is all fucked up.  Half the time I try to watch something, it says no programs available.  Seems to be a prevalent problem from what I've read.  Seems like it shouldn't be, though.

Infuriating

Personally, I don't give a shit and won't be signing up for that or any other services from DirecTV for the foreseeable remainder of my life since I have to assume that shitting up the non-streaming service has been done out of a motivation to drive people to DirecTV Now.

I am actively looking forward to switching to Dish in 6 months. 

• Like 1

Ahh, I see it now. Thanks. I was looking at the background of the channel label box. 
You are correct though... Terrible design.

They made it nearly the same color to get you to click on something you want to watch only to be disappointed when you don't receive the channel, thus making you consider calling to add the channel. Lucky for me I have a 3 week old and and a 5 year old so I never get watch Tv anyway unless it's spongebob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/15/2018 at 9:31 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

free hbo for 6 months

free starz for 6 months

All this except I don't say my wife is complaining, I just tell them I'm paying too fucking much and think it's time for me to cancel.  If they want to make me reconsider, I'm all ears as far as what they want to offer.  But definitely, yes, get to the retention group.

I've been with DirecTV for about 10-12 years now, never had anywhere near the problems some of you have had though, guess I've been lucky.

2 hours ago, McCroskey said:

All this except I don't say my wife is complaining, I just tell them I'm paying too fucking much and think it's time for me to cancel.  If they want to make me reconsider, I'm all ears as far as what they want to offer.  But definitely, yes, get to the retention group.

I've been with DirecTV for about 10-12 years now, never had anywhere near the problems some of you have had though, guess I've been lucky.

Agreed. And I just use the wife line as a conversation starter. Gets the process going without being the asshole. 

• Like 1

AT&T is the worst god damn company to ever emerge from the capitalist ooze of our once great nation.  DirectTV was doing just fine, but we all knew what would happen when we heard the news of the acquisition.  I've tried running from AT&T for decades now, and they just keep swallowing up every competitor I'm doing business with.   Living in Texas again they're near impossible to avoid, as AT&T is really just SWBell run amok and they own the whole damn state, including the legislature.  It's amazing that a splinter cell of the old Ma Bell grew into an even bigger monster while a justice department that once cared about such things as antitrust regulation is whistling Dixie. 

But the sports.  Amirite?  I can't quit you DTV.

• Like 2

AT&T is the worst god damn company to ever emerge from the capitalist ooze of our once great nation.  DirectTV was doing just fine, but we all knew what would happen when we heard the news of the acquisition.  I've tried running from AT&T for decades now, and they just keep swallowing up every competitor I'm doing business with.   Living in Texas again they're near impossible to avoid, as AT&T is really just SWBell run amok and they own the whole damn state, including the legislature.  It's amazing that a splinter cell of the old Ma Bell grew into an even bigger monster while a justice department that once cared about such things as antitrust regulation is whistling Dixie. 
But the sports.  Amirite?  I can't quit you DTV.

Comcast is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old faithful HDDVR in the bedroom finally died. Had it for about 10 years. The Genie in the living room took a shit, again. The HDMI port is dead. Just replaced it a month ago because the HDMI port died on the other one. Ever try to call in 2 bad receivers with different problems? Apparently nobody has ever done that before. The lady in Taiwan couldn't wrap her head around it so I ranted hard enough to get an American employee. She wasn't much better, but could read her script clearer. None of them listen to the customer. I've already tried a reboot, unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in, checked the inputs and verified it's the box, not the TV or HDMI cable.

Their response? OK, first lets try to reboot the receiver...

Fuck you, lady! I've been a customer since 2003, been through dozens of receiver problems and am well aware of the testing to determine the problem. Just send me a receiver or schedule a tech.

OK, first lets try to reboot the receiver...

If there's ever a mass shooting at an AT&T call center, it's probably justified.

• Like 1

I used to work there and the hourly and line level staff are good people. They are just hampered with an extremely antiquated, hodge-podge, mashup of a system from different acquisitions. A good majority of the call center folks are contractors so they only know how to follow their scripts. Management, however, can DIAFAEABOD.

Instead of sending me the envelopes or boxes to return their cards or receivers (they really don't know what they want back) and shipping labels as promised twice before, DirecTV just sent me another bill for $146. Their "new" policy is that since the installer brought us the receivers, they need to be returned to DirecTV on our dime.  I told them my new policy is to meet them halfway and just leave them in the middle of the road that the installer drove to our house

Lulz at AT&T.  Signed up for internet service with them 3 years ago in Knoxville. Was promised a $150 gift card.

Sept - no card

Oct - no card so I call.  Told I had to have service for 90 days before it’s sent.

Nov - no card

Dec - no card.  Call.  It’s on the way.

Jan - no card.  Call.  We’ll send a replacement.

Feb - no card.  Sorry.  Records show it wasn’t sent.

March - no card.  Call.  “Our records indicate that you were never eligible for this card.”

I just about started an international incident with The Philippines over this.  Finally got an American who took $150 off my bill.

Must be nice. Like I mentioned up thread I've been promised at least $600 in gift cards but haven't received shit. They don't send you the cards directly, it's a piece of mail with a code on it or some such. I only received one of those cards and went online to enter the code and, nope, I'm not eligible. Called back to see what could be done and was told to contact the rewards department (because, you know, the call center can't take care of it or even transfer my call because fuck me.) Only problem with that is the number is to an automated messaging line (with no options to talk to real people) where you go through the process the same as online. I swear they're a big fucking headache. Shit still boils my blood. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:54 AM, Sbbruin said:

The On Demand shit is all fucked up.  Half the time I try to watch something, it says no programs available.  Seems to be a prevalent problem from what I've read.  Seems like it shouldn't be, though.

Just another jump back in to complain about this. The wife and I have been binge-watching Southern Charm. (Yes, yes, I know.) Anyway, go in to watch the second episode of Season 3 last night and we have a listing for a couple of Season 2 episodes and all of Season 5. We've seen all of those. OK, I'll reset the main receiver. That's worked before (I think). The hard reset drops Season 2's offerings and there's only Season 5. Let's try reset again. Goes through the motions and it's completely scrubbed of seasons. A few hours later, Season 5 is back. A couple of times the main unit doesn't have any or only a small fraction of a show's seasons but in our bedroom you can get everything. Doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Our contract with DirecTV is up in November, I think. In addition to these issues, I've been noticing some lagging every 10-15 seconds on the various wireless Genies throughout the house. I think the error message is the server isn't detected. First time this kind of shit has happened in the near two years we've been in the house and I've been back with DirecTV (subscriber from 1998-2014 or so when I moved to Uverse for two years). Anyway, hard to watch a show that freezes every 10-15 seconds and then picks up again a few seconds later with missed dialogue/action.

Just absolute garbage. Sounds like DirecTV Now isn't much better either. I'm definitely looking for alternatives because this aggression will not stand, man.

I'm having issues with my sound not being synced up with the tv after a couple of hours. Like if i'm wathcing The Office, I'll hear Jim start to say something then see his mouth start to move. Extremely aggravating. So i either have to turn it completely off or turn the tv to HDMI2 then switch it back.

Anybody else having this kind of stupid issue? 

Canceled DirecTV last year after 9yrs...tried Playstation vue which was OK, then decided to try DirecTV Now and it is much better than PSvue.  Very basic guide and DVR is still beta, but gets the job done.  Plus they have the special free AppleTV 4k if you pay the first 3 months in advance, no contract. $60/mo package w every channel except hbo, etc.  It delivered in one week.  I already had two appleTVs, and it is the fastest way to stream cable compared to other devices.

Edited by utxmike05

PS and others are great, if you have decent internet. This may come as a shock to some of you but get outside of a metro area and the bandwidth goes to shit in a hurry. I now have "high speed" internet at 1.3mbps. I can stream at lower definition but can't do anything else online while I do.

I do like being able to watch for free using the DirecTv app, but it's a shitty app. Constant lock ups and freezes that you have to reboot to clear. A real PITA.

Hmm, so the damn thing went out entirely last Wednesday night. Gave me a '775' error. Called the Far East for customer support and pretty shortly the lady on the other end of the line told me somebody needed to come out. It was going to be $99 for the visit and then additional (I think) for any equipment that needed to be replaced OR they could put me on the $8/month program where that would all be covered. We were leaving for NM in the morning so I wouldn't be around for a Fri appointment. We went ahead with Monday afternoon appointment and left town. Lady said they'd give me credit for the days missed on our next bill. We shall see. Anyway, we get back last night and everything is working normally. Don't know if I'm going to bother cutting out of work early to meet a tech or not to let him know of our other issues and maybe he can check to make sure all is as it should be.

Worst part these days is having to go through the script with the Far East eros each and every time there's a problem.  Takes 45 mins to get to the actual issue.

Couple of months ago, I had to call because every remote action (guide, menu, search, etc...) was taking over a minute to work. Great fun when it takes 10 clicks to get to the diagnostic test.  Even more fun when the diagnostic test times out and you're asked to start over.

• Like 1

Don't miss Direct. I cancelled a few years ago. The next day they charged my card because I hadn't returned the equipment. Less than 24 hours. Called them and they said they would refund my card. Never happened. Called again. They didn't refund to the current card on my account, but the one I started with, but had expired. Called again and they apologized. Next day, had another charge for unreturned equipment. Funny they could charge to the current card but couldn't refund to it. Finally called the bank and had them deny all charges. Then they tried to send me to collections, even though 4 days after cancelling it showed they had received the equipment. 

• Like 1

Used to love Directv, had them forever but they went downhill and we switched to Verizon FIOS.  Loved it but they started to suck too so we switched to Time Warner or whatever the fuck they're called now, I think Spectrum or maybe it was Verizon that became Spectrum, who the fuck knows.  They ended up sucking so we got rid of cable altogether and it's been awesome.  We have the logins for our inlaws xfinity and directv so we can stream pretty much anything we want but honestly it's been nice cutting back on TV watching.  We'll see how college football season goes, this will be my first without subscription cable

3 hours ago, woohorn said:

What was ur fix? My old hd reciever lags pretty bad most of the time, but I don't want to deal with new equip (genie).

So they sent me a new box.  Thing is, I couldn't get the new box to connect to all 4 receivers in my house.  After throwing a tantrum because I couldn't figure it out on my own, I called them back and it turns out that they mistakenly sent me a regular receiver (not the master).  (Note: I'm not sure if this was by accident or not, but when I called on Sunday, I got an American customer service rep that knew her shit backwards and forwards.  Keep that in mind next time you call.)  So, I packed up the receiver they sent and replaced it with the master that was mailed to me.  And, by master, I mean the main box that controls the other three.

It still lags at times but I'm not sure there's a good fix out there based on everything I've read on other forums.  The new equipment is just crap.