Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

47 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Needing to do something about my DIRECTV bill. Paying quite a bit more than advertised $69.99/month pricing for Xtra package. Anybody have any recent luck getting pricing reduced by substantial amount? I keep telling myself to consider cutting the cord and going all streaming but haven't gotten there yet.

What the fuck are you waiting for?  Just get a Roku and use the free trial periods on about every streaming service till you find one you like better than Directv.  I promise you it won't take long.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 5:33 PM, C-Man said:

Needing to do something about my DIRECTV bill. Paying quite a bit more than advertised $69.99/month pricing for Xtra package. Anybody have any recent luck getting pricing reduced by substantial amount? I keep telling myself to consider cutting the cord and going all streaming but haven't gotten there yet.

Finally canceled DirectTV today after contemplating it for a couple years. Customer service rep congratulated me on being with them 7 years and of course tried to get me to stay. I was a couple whiskeys in so it was easy to cut him off and do the deed. Took about 5 minutes.

Monthly bill was around $206.

Thinking about streaming YouTube TV, already watch a lot of Prime and Netflix.

Damn I feel free!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dilligas said:

Finally canceled DirectTV today after contemplating it for a couple years. Customer service rep congratulated me on being with them 7 years and of course tried to get me to stay. I was a couple whiskeys in so it was easy to cut him off and do the deed. Took about 5 minutes.

Monthly bill was around $206.

Thinking about streaming YouTube TV, already watch a lot of Prime and Netflix.

Damn I feel free!

That is right around where our bill was last year when I finally jumped ship. 

YoutubeTV, Hulu, HBO Go and Disney (for the kids) we already had Netflix and Prime. 

Still use my parents DirecTV log in for MTV reality shows but saving over $100 a month and don't miss dealing with DirecTV at all. 

I'm forced to stick with them for now. My internet is shit and satellite net is expensive. I'd wind up paying the same or more. Maybe someday Centurylink will run fiber optic out here, but I'll be dead long before that happens.

• Like 1

It’s what, about 16 months since I told em to f off? 

YouTubeTV’s DVR is the bomb, it doesn’t make you watch commercials if you watch within a reasonable time, or it defaults to the respective network’s video on demand service, but shit, just about everything current is available. I also have the Christmas special basic Hulu for $2 a month because why not.

I use mom’s cable account to access LHN. And with an assortment of Roku’ and Fire devices spread around the house, we have it all in every room, not a separate receiver taking up space. So much better than that shitshow Genie and “clients” that never worked.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

I'm forced to stick with them for now. My internet is shit and satellite net is expensive. I'd wind up paying the same or more. Maybe someday Centurylink will run fiber optic out here, but I'll be dead long before that happens.

Similar situation. Plus, I'm just tired of chasing the next big thing in home viewing just get bait-and-switched for mediocre at best viewing. Even if I had great internet, I'm not gonna get sucked into the streaming bullshit rabbit-hole of having to subscribe to fifty different things to get the four regular programs i would actually watch.

• 3 weeks later...

So what are the option for LHN?  I'm done with DirectTV.  My bill jumped from $100 to $170.  I called to get it lowered two weeks ago.  First, they try to talk you out of whatever plan package you currently have.  The lady asked me which channels I watch.  I was all, "Like 100 of them.  I don't have time to name each one."  So then she tried to talk me into lowering my bill by getting rid of the sports channels that I have because, "Did you know that there aren't any sports going on right now?"  Effing seriously?  First there are some sports going on and, second, what's the point of lowering my bill for 4 weeks until sports return?  

Anyway, I've got Prime, Netflix, and Disney Plus (SIL).  Looking into YouTube.  Everything syncs up except for LHN.  

Bill was $190. I called to cut the cord and told them I was laid off. They offered me $100 off for 6 months. If you want a short term discount it’s worth a shot.

I cut the cord anyway however.
  • Like 3

We were getting an employee discount even though my wife hasn’t worked for AT&T for four years. I guess the Bob’s finally figured this out, and bill went up to over $250 today. Canceled service right when we realized. 

What is the best streaming service when football starts back up?  

16 minutes ago, YoungCounty said:

We were getting an employee discount even though my wife hasn’t worked for AT&T for four years. I guess the Bob’s finally figured this out, and bill went up to over $250 today. Canceled service right when we realized. 

What is the best streaming service when football starts back up?  

Your local cable company.

• 2 months later...

If I have ever said anything nice about DirecTV/ATT, I take it all back. We got a free equipment upgrade last year, yet got a $399 Genie 2 charge on July's bill. Wife sat on hold Wednesday for 1.5 hours and gave up. I'm off today, so I decided to take a shot at getting it resolved. 2.5 hours later, 5 phone calls, 2 bad transfers later, nothing has been resolved. Twice I got transferred to Uverse, even though I told them we had Direct. Direct kept trying to sell me a new package 'that would reduce the bill'. And when I finally get Customer Loyalty on the phone, she wants to know when the upgrade took place. LOOK IN THE DAMN FILE!! 45 minutes and counting on the latest call.

Sunday Ticket isn't worth this much shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Fuck them. Cancel and never look back. You won't regret it.

We've got just over 7 months left and I'm done. Shit is ridiculous. That last 45 minute call turned into 1hr, 25min. And I still had to call back! Finally got it resolved and all for because the tech made a mistake when installing. So for wasting my day off, I got HBOMax until the contract runs out. 

I've been with DTV off and on since you could go to Best  Buy and get free Sunday Ticket in the late 90's. Can't believe how shitty they have become.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

DirecTV’s customer service is the worst out there. Wait times are absurd, hard to understand foreign customer reps and constant run arounds or call drops.  ATT turns everything it touches into shit. Customer service and getting discounts were easy to get before they were absorbed by ATT

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

DirecTV’s customer service is the worst out there. Wait times are absurd, hard to understand foreign customer reps and constant run arounds or call drops.  ATT turns everything it touches into shit. Customer service and getting discounts were easy to get before they were absorbed by ATT

True.  It's also kind of amazing how, depending on who you talk to, you either get extremely knowledgeable or completely clueless. 

Three calls ago (May), I had the lady mentioned above that suggested I cancel my sports packages for a cheaper rate because, "Sports aren't happening right now".  She was somewhere in the Texas Panhandle.  Hung up.

Two calls ago (June) I got somebody in Miami that I absolutely could not understand.  And I speak Spanish.

The final cancellation call 2 weeks ago, I got an African-American girl from Mississippi (assuming because the name was Janiqua) who was extremely nice and very helpful.

There was a time when everyone left Cable and DISH because DirectTV had such good customer service.

• Like 1

One more thing.  Perhaps not DirectTV's fault, but I'll blame them anyway.  

The second call (above)...  After I got disconnected/hung up, I received a follow-up call that I let go to voicemail.  Different person.  I'm thinking it could possibly be someone higher up, so I hit the call back button on my phone.  It went straight to an American Airlines ticket booking rep.  The guy told me that he kept getting phone calls for DirectTV and had no idea why.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

There was a time when everyone left Cable and DISH because DirectTV had such good customer service.

That was years before AT&T bought them. They had several JD Power Awards for CS.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Att pissed me off.  For one we live in a semi rural neighborhood and the fastest internet we can get is 24mbps, meanwhile every new neighborhood getting built us getting gigabit, but they don't want to invest at all in infrastructure.  (To their defense, no one else does either) but I'm stuck with them as our only option.  

Yep.  ATT is your first clue that whatever they purchase is going to go to shit.

I've posted this before, but when my wife and I purchased our first house (Knoxville) in 2014, our only real option for internet was ATT.  I was promised a $150 gift card for signing up.

30 days later - no card.

60 days later - no card.  I call customer service (in The Philippines) and am told that I have to have and pay for the service for 3 months.  Cool.  Fine.

90 days later - no card.

120 days later - no card.  I call and am told it's their mistake.  A card will be sent shortly.

150 days later - no card.  I call and am told it's their mistake.  A card will be sent shortly.

180 days later - no card.  I call and am told that there is no record of a card ever being promised to me.  At this point, I set US/Philippine relations back 75 years and demand to speak to an American.  Keep in mind, I've probably spent more than 4 hours on hold, talking to reps, etc... at this point.  I am connected and everything gets resolved.  

To this day, I feel so extremely guilty to pull the, "Let me speak to someone in America" card.  But that's what pisses me off even more about ATT.  Let the poor customer service reps in The Philippines get verbally abused.  If someone throws a big enough fit, someone stateside will jump on and fix it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I guess I am the last one standing with Directv, huh?  Those fuckers are in a dispute with ABC here in Dallas so it has been off air all week.  I really don't give a shit but now that it is about to be Saturday I can't get any of the college games on ABC tomorrow.  

Same problem with the local NBC affiliate here, and they keep sending messages about the local Fox affiliate.

Seems pretty pathetic to be bickering over channels you can get for free with an antenna in ever better quality.

50 minutes ago, DougO said:

Same problem with the local NBC affiliate here, and they keep sending messages about the local Fox affiliate.

Seems pretty pathetic to be bickering over channels you can get for free with an antenna in ever better quality.

I guess I have to call in the morning and threaten to quit and say I am a big Wisconsin fan and I can’t watch their game on ABC in Dallas tomorrow.  Hopefully I will get my usual $80 off the monthly bill or something.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, these fucksticks are raising my Xtra package $8 a month. Great job ATT. They’ve destroyed DirecTV and are looking to sell it now for less than a third of what they bought it for. 

DIRECTV packages Monthly price increase amount
Minimum service
FAMILY
ChineseDirect Plus
No increase
BASIC CHOICE
BASIC
$1
PREFERRED CHOICE $3
SELECT
ENTERTAINMENT
SELECT CLASSIC
SELECT CHOICE
ENTERTAINMENT CLASSIC
MAS LATINO
OPTIMO MAS
MAS MEXICO
BASICO
FAMILIAR
OPCION ESPECIAL
OPCION EXTRA ESPECIAL
$5
MAS ULTRA
MAS ULTRA ORIGINAL
FAMILIAR ULTRA
OPCION ULTRA ESPECIAL
$6
CHOICE
TOTAL CHOICE
TOTAL CHOICE LIMITED
TOTAL CHOICE Mobile
$7
XTRA 
PREFERRED XTRA
CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC
$8
ULTIMATE
PREMIER
LO MAXIMO
OPCION PREMIER
$9
  • Rage+1 1

• 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

RPM, you’re in the sticks and have shitty internet, so I guess I can buy why you’re not streaming, but c’mon Bruin, wherever you are in Cali is forcing you to continue to eat the shit sandwich that is DirecTV? Dump it. 

No shit, it blows my mind that this thread is still active.  

Whenever we visit my folks I point out to them that they pay for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Encore and every other fucking movie channel known to man and even show them where they are on the channel guide. They’re amazed by this like cave people seeing fire for the first time 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

RPM, you’re in the sticks and have shitty internet, so I guess I can buy why you’re not streaming, but c’mon Bruin, wherever you are in Cali is forcing you to continue to eat the shit sandwich that is DirecTV? Dump it. 

True. But I'm already signed up for Starlink, just waiting on Elon.

i have gutted my programing to only the $99 package plus the $5 HD movie pack. Still toooo fuckin' hiiiiiiggggghhhh.

But I gotta have my TCM, Rangers games, and occasional NFL Network, and fuck a bunch of streaming. No real viable alternative at this juncture.

Many of us consider DTV a non-viable alternative. I’m lucky I don’t care about the Rangers, but I get NFL Network, TCM and most cable channels anyone would care about on as many TVs as I want (they just need to be “smart”), no charges for extra DVRs/clients. My Genie and clients in every room NEVER worked.

Streaming may seem like a pain, but it really isn’t. Add shows you’re interested in to your Favorites, and it’s there. The whole season. In every room. And shit works when it rains. 

(I just looked up who does stream Bally/Fox Regionals, and that’s clearly a “them” playing hardball situation, as it seems they aren’t cooperating with anyone, even the sports-centric streamers. I guess AT&T’s shitshow may count, but that’s essentially DTV. Perhaps one day they’ll come back around.)

Edited by Vito Andolini

• 9 months later...

I have been a Directv customer for 25 years - initially got it for the Sunday Ticket - and I am thiiiiiiiiis close to canceling today due to the accumulated years of shitty customer service. I haven't been able to log in to my account in more than a year since they integrated their website with AT&T and that has very frustrating. The only way I can see my bill is through "bill pay" at my bank. 

What might be the last straw is that we have been replacing the roof and siding on the house for the past few weeks. As part of that they had to remove the dish and detach the coax from the underside of the soffit. All that work is finally done so - despite the website issues - I was finally able to schedule a tech to come out and reinstall it all. He aimed the dish on the roof and then farted around in the attic for few minutes and came down and said he couldn't fix it. He said that the only solution would be to drill a hole in the side of the house and run a new coax cable across the floor in front of a doorway and connect that to the television. I told him to run it through the attic like it was before and he said he couldn't do that. I told him to GTFO. 

The only thing stopping me is that there isn't a clearly better alternative. The only other choices in my neighborhood are U-Verse (also shitty AT&T) and Xfinity. 

I guess streaming is an option, but I don't know enough about it.

Is Hulu any good and worth it? Looks like I can get my local channels with it. 

58 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have been a Directv customer for 25 years - initially got it for the Sunday Ticket - and I am thiiiiiiiiis close to canceling today due to the accumulated years of shitty customer service. I haven't been able to log in to my account in more than a year since they integrated their website with AT&T and that has very frustrating. The only way I can see my bill is through "bill pay" at my bank. 

What might be the last straw is that we have been replacing the roof and siding on the house for the past few weeks. As part of that they had to remove the dish and detach the coax from the underside of the soffit. All that work is finally done so - despite the website issues - I was finally able to schedule a tech to come out and reinstall it all. He aimed the dish on the roof and then farted around in the attic for few minutes and came down and said he couldn't fix it. He said that the only solution would be to drill a hole in the side of the house and run a new coax cable across the floor in front of a doorway and connect that to the television. I told him to run it through the attic like it was before and he said he couldn't do that. I told him to GTFO. 

The only thing stopping me is that there isn't a clearly better alternative. The only other choices in my neighborhood are U-Verse (also shitty AT&T) and Xfinity. 

I guess streaming is an option, but I don't know enough about it.

Is Hulu any good and worth it? Looks like I can get my local channels with it. 

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yep, I have investigated and we're going to try Hulu. 

Other than LHN, I'd venture the vast majority of the channels you watch are available on Hulu, YTTV, or the major streaming services.  Actually being able to watch TV in the rain/snow, user interface, mobile apps  that actually work, much cheaper, and best of all never having to deal with ATT "customer enragement" service ever again... streaming is just so much better.

You'll never go back to crappy TV service again.

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yep, I have investigated and we're going to try Hulu. 

Go ahead and try HuluLiveTV (that’s the one you need) with a trial subscription, but YouTubeTV is superior. Try both, you can do so for free. YTTV has a better DVR (pretty much unlimited storage), locals and you can have multiple users at once. But more importantly, no up charge for viewing most recordings without forced ad breaks. Hulu is owned by the networks, they will make you watch commercials. If you watch something on YTTV that you recorded within a reasonable period of time, it acts like the DVR you’re used to: FF thru commercials.

Be aware, maneuvering around a streaming service’s user interface (the channel grid) is FAR different than just a cable or satellite system’s numbered channel array like you’re used to. You can create favorites, or go to the “Home” page where you’ll see some suggestions or frequently viewed shows.  But it’s not as good as what you’re used to, but that is seriously the only downside.

I will never ever again go back to DTV or a traditional cable provider unless the streamers fuck up a good thing, which is unfortunately, entirely possible. They don’t play well together with the content providers or delivery devices.

Speaking of that, you’ll need a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, AppleTV box, etc. to steam, unless your TV is “smart.” Some who claim to be smart aren’t, so a Roku or Stick will be worth the $25-$30 you’ll pay (you should be able to find one in that range that’s good enough, even for 4K).

45 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Go ahead and try HuluLiveTV (that’s the one you need) with a trial subscription, but YouTubeTV is superior. Try both, you can do so for free. YTTV has a better DVR (pretty much unlimited storage), locals and you can have multiple users at once. But more importantly, no up charge for viewing most recordings without forced ad breaks. Hulu is owned by the networks, they will make you watch commercials. If you watch something on YTTV that you recorded within a reasonable period of time, it acts like the DVR you’re used to: FF thru commercials.

Be aware, maneuvering around a streaming service’s user interface (the channel grid) is FAR different than just a cable or satellite system’s numbered channel array like you’re used to. You can create favorites, or go to the “Home” page where you’ll see some suggestions or frequently viewed shows.  But it’s not as good as what you’re used to, but that is seriously the only downside.

I will never ever again go back to DTV or a traditional cable provider unless the streamers fuck up a good thing, which is unfortunately, entirely possible. They don’t play well together with the content providers or delivery devices.

Speaking of that, you’ll need a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, AppleTV box, etc. to steam, unless your TV is “smart.” Some who claim to be smart aren’t, so a Roku or Stick will be worth the $25-$30 you’ll pay (you should be able to find one in that range that’s good enough, even for 4K).

Yeah, looking at Fobu now that I see they have all my local Houston channels and AT&T Sportsnet for the Astros.

Both Hulu and Fobu apps work fine on my Apple TV boxes that we already use for Netflix and Prime. 

Literally the only thing I’m not going to have is Sunday Ticket. 

15 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I thought you could get Sunday Ticket a la carte now as a streaming service.

Only if you live in a high rise or have some other restriction that prevents you from getting regular Directv. 

Interesting article about how the contract expires next year and DTV probably won't be able to afford to renew it. Prime or Youtube would be nice. 

https://sportsbetting.legal/news/directv-nfl-odds-sunday-ticket-contract/

December 30, 2021

DirecTV is taking it on the chin in a big way.

After years of having NFL Sunday Ticket exclusivity despite being one of the least popular television providers, the league’s deal with the carrier is finally set to expire after the 2022 NFL season.

For millions of football fans, this is great news.

According to owner AT&T in its Q2 2021 earnings report, the total number of combined DirecTV customers, AT&T TV customers, and AT&T U-verse customers is just 15.412 million.

This represents a massive drop of 2.3 million aggregate subscribers from the same time period in 2020.

While AT&T doesn’t break down subs by specific service, DirecTV is clearly on its last legs. At the very least, it no longer has the clout to pay what the NFL is likely to ask for its Sunday Ticket product.

And that’s a good thing.

Sunday Ticket is the most popular sports package in US television broadcasting, just as the NFL is the most popular league for US sports bettors.

And thanks to the popularity of live in-game sports betting, more online gamblers than ever are likely to pay for a way to watch all their favorite games every Sunday of the season.

This, naturally, has led to plenty of intrigue about just where Sunday Ticket will land in time for the 2023 NFL season.

Some analysts believe that Disney-owned ESPN+ is the obvious answer, while others think Amazon makes the most sense. But there are other big brands being mentioned as potential suitors, too.

19 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yeah, looking at Fobu now that I see they have all my local Houston channels and AT&T Sportsnet for the Astros.

Both Hulu and Fobu apps work fine on my Apple TV boxes that we already use for Netflix and Prime. 

Literally the only thing I’m not going to have is Sunday Ticket. 

Sunday Ticket is overrated. DTV just threw it in this year and I maybe watched one or two extra games all season -- think one was a blizzard game. Red Zone is far superior and I think all the services can get that.