Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

So i finally had enough with the Wifi dropping and my tv lagging.  After getting going agent to agent i finally said i want to cancel. (even though i wasn't)

At the end of the call i was given Free Sunday Ticket, Free Sports Package, $35 off my monthly bill.  I'm now paying $80 for internet and cable. 

Tip to skip the line... as soon as you call demand to speak to a Customer Loyal Agent 

I've never had DirecTV, but my brother did until recently. He was having recurring issues with the equipment. Techs came out multiple times attempting to fix until he finally got a tech who was honest and told him it was a waste of time to continue trying to fix because the hardware (or software maybe?) was garbage. Said it was known to have multiple issues before it was released and the company made the call to roll it out anyway leaving them to deal with the headache of attempting to fix something that can't be fixed in the field. My brother thanked him for his honesty and told him to pack up everything and get it the fuck out of his house. He's trying out different streaming services now.

I had Dish for years and finally cancelled last year. The hardware was very laggy and I was paying way too damn much. Switched to streaming and love it.

I finally got some local channels from DirecTV Now, but they're all from Paducah, Kentucky, which is strange because I'm located in East Texas.

The upside is that when that soccer team was trapped in that cave in Thailand, there was no shortage of expert commentary on being trapped in caves.  Most seemed to survive on the food and liquor they left behind the last time they were trapped in a cave

On 8/23/2018 at 9:11 AM, mr. sunshine said:

I finally got some local channels from DirecTV Now, but they're all from Paducah, Kentucky, which is strange because I'm located in East Texas.

The upside is that when that soccer team was trapped in that cave in Thailand, there was no shortage of expert commentary on being trapped in caves.  Most seemed to survive on the food and liquor they left behind the last time they were trapped in a cave

I'm in east Texas, and the only local I get on Vue is CBS.  But the streaming quality is laggy as hell.  OTA is way better. Everything else on Vue streams fine.  So I assume it's on the local CBS affiliate's end.

Gotdamnit.  I usually have multiple episodes of a show recorded and they are supposed to be display with a little folder icon.  yesterday they were all just gone.  Only single episodes and movies showed up.   So thinking I had drunkenly deleted them over night I looked to re-record them , but when I clicked to record them, it said I already had them.  Turn the damn thing off and a couple hours later when I turned it back on they were back on the List.  Fucking buggy UI.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, 77horn said:

Gotdamnit.  I usually have multiple episodes of a show recorded and they are supposed to be display with a little folder icon.  yesterday they were all just gone.  Only single episodes and movies showed up.   So thinking I had drunkenly deleted them over night I looked to re-record them , but when I clicked to record them, it said I already had them.  Turn the damn thing off and a couple hours later when I turned it back on they were back on the List.  Fucking buggy UI.

That's the "On Demand" section in a nutshell. Entire seasons will disappear and the magically reappear with no rhyme or reason. They might not be on the main TV but they'll be available in our bedroom on one of the wireless units. Staggeringly bad.

Had a brief brown out/power flicker last night. Not long enough to disrupt any item (router, digital clocks, etc.) except, of course, for the DirecTV receiver and Genie. So 20 minutes of needless bullshit while it rebooted in the middle of recording Better Call Saul is something that I'm really happy to be paying a lot of money for. 

I wish I could physically assault this company. 

• Like 1

So here's my DirecTV story... I've had the service now for nearly 2 years with really little to no incidents.... until a few weeks ago when I went to pay my bill for August... I noticed it was like $50 higher than normal.  So I look closer and see that I'm being charged for the NFL Sunday Ticket.  I'm like "WTF? I didn't order that." 

So I call them up to see what the fuck was up.   I'm not joking... the CSR said that it was added because "I'm a valuable customer and we thought you would enjoy this great deal on the NFL Sunday ticket."  I'm like "Ummm... NO.  Remove it."  And they said, "OK we'll remove it and also make a note on your account to not add services unless you request them."   I couldn't believe my fucking ears.  How is that not the DEFAULT?!

So now I'm really mad and I'm demanding them remove it PLUS give me an additional credit on my account.  They agree.

So multiple days go by and the NFL Sunday Ticket is still on my bill and also no credit. So I get apoplectic and start blowing their shit up on Twitter.  I'm copying the official DirecTV, AT&T, AT&T Cares (their customer service account) and the FCC just for fun. 

The AT&T Cares account starts responding almost immediately... we go into DMs they apologize, tell me they'll take care of it, etc.

Another 3-4 days go by and still nothing.  So I call customer service back and in a very stern but polite manner tell them the whole story and say if they don't get my shit fixed in 24 hours I'm calling back and cancelling.

So finally the next day the NFL Sunday Ticket is gone and they credited my account an additional $50.

It's a nice resolution, but FUCK.... it's so annoying that you have to jump through so many hoops and make threats to get shit done.

I've never had a problem with them. Call in from time to time and get a discount. Currently paying less than $50 for internet and DirecTV. I'm grandfathered in to a great unlimited plan for our cell phones as well.

The only problem I've had is the recordings disappearing from time to time on the main box. It's a nuisance but not that bad of a deal.

8 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Had a brief brown out/power flicker last night. Not long enough to disrupt any item (router, digital clocks, etc.) except, of course, for the DirecTV receiver and Genie. So 20 minutes of needless bullshit while it rebooted in the middle of recording Better Call Saul is something that I'm really happy to be paying a lot of money for. 

I used to have this problem. My power is notoriously sketchy (small co-op provider) and I get short outages regularly. I finally bought battery backups for my receivers and haven't had a problem since. Well, not a power problem anyway. I've gone through 3 Genies just this year and they all had problems with the HDMI output. Had the last one less than a month before it started screwing up.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:03 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

So much this. I've had to jump through hoops before with other companies and can maintain a calm demeanor. Then I became a DirecTV customer. Now I can barely get through 20 minutes of their bs before blood pressure starts boiling.

The TV in our bedroom went out the night before last and I haven't got to it yet. So looking forward to that one. Last time they had to come out for a similar issue, the cause was the installer had used dish network parts and wanted me to pay $100 for it. That call went over well...

20 mins.  LOL.  Good luck getting a resolution in less than an hour now.  The poor customer service reps have to go through a shit-long script now before they can actually attempt to fix anything.  This will include - at some point - turning off your tv to reset the receiver.  That's be 10 mins right there.

19 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Glad to know DirecTV charges their customers for upgrades they never asked for or agreed to. How can this not be breach of contract?

Well I've been wondering that since my bill nearly doubled this year. I mean, my cell phone, insurance and every other service I've had stays (roughly) the same through the duration of the contract. Fuck you very much DirecTV, I'm pretty sure I would've never signed on had I been told my bill would go from $60 to $110 after year 1 of a 2 year deal. They made me feel like I was taking crazy pills when I called in, raised hell and "reduced" my bill by ten bucks. 

I now have the new updated guide from the previous shitty one as discussed in this thread.  Not much difference, still can't really tell the difference between channels I have and don't have.  So I set my guide to 'channels I have' and start scrolling.  "Oo cool I haven't seen that show in a little while."  Guess what, I don't have that fucking channel, but I can call and get it added to my package.  What the actual fuck is up with this company

What is everyone paying for the Sunday Ticket this year?  I forgot about the auto-renewal shit so they've already billed me $100 for it...should be interesting to see how much I get back.  Last year I think I paid $50 for the Season Package and the year before that I didn't pay anything...they gave it to me so I wouldn't cancel.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:19 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

So here's my DirecTV story... I've had the service now for nearly 2 years with really little to no incidents.... until a few weeks ago when I went to pay my bill for August... I noticed it was like $50 higher than normal.  So I look closer and see that I'm being charged for the NFL Sunday Ticket.  I'm like "WTF? I didn't order that." 

So I call them up to see what the fuck was up.   I'm not joking... the CSR said that it was added because "I'm a valuable customer and we thought you would enjoy this great deal on the NFL Sunday ticket."  I'm like "Ummm... NO.  Remove it."  And they said, "OK we'll remove it and also make a note on your account to not add services unless you request them."   I couldn't believe my fucking ears.  How is that not the DEFAULT?!

So now I'm really mad and I'm demanding them remove it PLUS give me an additional credit on my account.  They agree.

So multiple days go by and the NFL Sunday Ticket is still on my bill and also no credit. So I get apoplectic and start blowing their shit up on Twitter.  I'm copying the official DirecTV, AT&T, AT&T Cares (their customer service account) and the FCC just for fun. 

The AT&T Cares account starts responding almost immediately... we go into DMs they apologize, tell me they'll take care of it, etc.

Another 3-4 days go by and still nothing.  So I call customer service back and in a very stern but polite manner tell them the whole story and say if they don't get my shit fixed in 24 hours I'm calling back and cancelling.

So finally the next day the NFL Sunday Ticket is gone and they credited my account an additional $50.

It's a nice resolution, but FUCK.... it's so annoying that you have to jump through so many hoops and make threats to get shit done.

Yep. They added it to my account too. I never, ever asked to have it added to my package. Fucking ridiculous!

Well, I just raised holy hell to the poor guy on the other end of the line. When I was having tech issues last month -- and prompted my initial foray on this -- and had to have a tech come out and see what was wrong, I agreed to the $9/month service contract that would cover tech calls and equipment issues. Figured it would save me the $100 it was going to cost the guy to come out and fix this shit (Rich). Well, the guy today brought it to my attention I was enrolled in the Supreme Protection plan for $21 or so/month. He was going to offer me the lesser. This is when I completely lost it! The bitch last time just flat-out fucking lied to me that I was getting the $9 plan. This guy *allegedly* removed Ticket, credited me the $21 for the Supreme plan, knocked $5 off HBO and helped me cancel all other movie channels. Then he adjusted (again, allegedly) my monthly bill to $106/month. I was so livid, not even sure he did me many favors. My contract is up in late Nov and it'll be a miracle (or laziness) if I'm still a customer of this shitty-ass company when the time comes.

I'm a dinosaur that doesn't get streaming yet -- is there a reputable cable/satellite company left?

No there is not.

AT&T raised my U-verse bill out of the blue one day, even though I was on a 12 month contract. When I called to find out wtf was going on, I was told to read my contract. AT&T requires you to commit to 12 months of service with them, with massive fees if you exit early. But, they reserve the right to raise prices any time they want during that period.

This is what deregulation of a near-monopoly creates.

I had a good call with them today, admittedly after a disaster last night of waiting on hold for 25 minutes between transfers only to be disconnected.

Got to the loyalty/retention group today to start asking questions about what deals they could give me on my bill and for the Sunday ticket, which they’d already charged me $133 or two months worth over the last two billing cycles.

The rep actually told me about a new VIP account team and said I was eligible to talk to them, so he transferred me and an American speaking chick named Kim answered and sounded like she was on top of her shit.

Next thing I know, she locked me into a rate for the next 12 months $10 lower than I was paying today ($130/mo) with free Sunday Ticket Max this season and a credit on my account for the $133 they’d already charged me over the last two months. I agreed to a 12 month term which she said expired next August 31st so I could call back next Sept and get a similar deal for the 2019 season. That’s equivalent to what I’d pay my local fiber tv provider for the same shit including the shittier NFL redzone channel so I’m happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever it rains the satellite goes out. Is hat typical? Asking for inlaw.
In my experience with Dish, we had some serious issues with it going out even when sprinkling until they swapped out some of the receivers or transponders or whatever the hell they are on the dish itself. After that it really wasn't too bad. We'd still have issues in bad storms though.

It seems like when the dish is new it takes a pretty significant rain to knock it out. After a while it gets dirt built-up, dirt-dobber nests, trees grow higher or strong winds move it a tiny bit off axis and sometimes just a damn thick cloud can knock it out. You might need to get an adjustment.

Anyway, this week I cancelled everything but the Choice package. I don't miss anything yet. It was fairly painless, cut the bill less than half what it was. They didn't seem to care much, no big offers or spiel, didn't push it, just wanted it done. The short term deals are always bait and switch to screw you over eventually anyway. There's just not that much I want to watch on TV any more.

Edited by DougO

On 9/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, C-Man said:

Well, I just raised holy hell to the poor guy on the other end of the line. When I was having tech issues last month -- and prompted my initial foray on this -- and had to have a tech come out and see what was wrong, I agreed to the $9/month service contract that would cover tech calls and equipment issues. Figured it would save me the $100 it was going to cost the guy to come out and fix this shit (Rich). Well, the guy today brought it to my attention I was enrolled in the Supreme Protection plan for $21 or so/month. He was going to offer me the lesser. This is when I completely lost it! The bitch last time just flat-out fucking lied to me that I was getting the $9 plan. This guy *allegedly* removed Ticket, credited me the $21 for the Supreme plan, knocked $5 off HBO and helped me cancel all other movie channels. Then he adjusted (again, allegedly) my monthly bill to $106/month. I was so livid, not even sure he did me many favors. My contract is up in late Nov and it'll be a miracle (or laziness) if I'm still a customer of this shitty-ass company when the time comes.

I'm a dinosaur that doesn't get streaming yet -- is there a reputable cable/satellite company left?

Whatever you do, do not get HughesNet

• 3 weeks later...

GotDamnIt.

Wife likes football but hates the commercials so we always record the game and start watching about 30 minutes late. I also tell it to record 1½ hours past scheduled end. 

Today we started about 90 minutes late.  All is going well until just before 2nd half kickoff.  it freezes on some fucking truck commercial as I am fast forwarding.  So it try FF to get out of it.  Well went ahead 45 minutes on the progress bar and nothing still fucking truck picture. Tried going back into halftime.  pick up a picture and sound.  gets to truck commercial and it stops.  I check the settings to verify it is still going to continue for the extra hour and a half.  Go into other room to see if the game is over.  It was, but fuck they show the score. (yeah, we won. But it looses the fun when you already know the end)

Reset the Genie. takes for ever to get restarted.  Status light looks good, but wireless light is off.  But I am getting picture and sound from a channel even though I am getting a message of no wireless connection. 

Call DTV, on the phone with them for 30 minutes.  They have no fucking clue but think is was a broadcast issue, not a genie issue.  I won't bother with my reaction to this, other than that I told him that given the genie's glitches, I suspect the DVR.  he assured me their engineers were hard at work improving the software, fixing glitches, improving fonts and colors on the interface.  Told him fuck the fonts and colors fix the GD glitches.

Turns out I had lost from halftime to 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.  So I watched from there.  All is well until Dicker lines up for the game winning field goal.  It seems that even though I verified it was set for an extra hour and a half, the genie decided to turn off after 30 minutes extra. 

Thanks to those goatfuckers at DTV, I didn't even get to enjoy beating the fucking sooners.

Yeah, today’s game was all kinda f’ed up on DTV, not sure if the Fox signal was weak or what, but it froze multiple times. Other DirecTV users on the game thread also complained. What was weird was it froze on my Genie in the living room in the same place as the independent DVR in the bedroom. 

Someone mentioned changing the channel, then changing back, and that seemed to unfreeze the signal, but that action was only helpful if you watched live, so you’re unfortunately out of luck.

(I’m in Bell County and receive Fox from the Waco affiliate, not sure if other markets had the same issue.)

I ran into a lot of these same fucking glitches today.....seems to happen about once a week.  And yes, you’re really double fucked if you’re watching something you’ve recorded.

I’ve been Directv customer for maybe 20+ years, but I’m about at the threshold of changing.  Unfortunately, I’m stupid, so I’ll have to have my teenage kids educate me on my options.

Damn

DTV fucked up broadcast on a non genie receiver at halftime. We paused at half time and when tried to return to third quarter it was stuck on the truck commercial. Changed the Chanel to unfreeze but lost most of the first drive of the second half and couldn’t go back to watch it no matter what we tried. Was definitely a broadcast issue. To many examples across different hardware 

I've had Directv for nearly 20 years, and I cancelled yesterday.  They even made that a pain in the ass.

First she offered $20/month off.  "No, I just want to cancel."  Then she said she could offer $43 off.  "Nope."  "What are you going to do for TV?"  "I'm going to pay $40/month to someone else."  "I can transfer you to a VIP specia…"  "NOPE."

"I see that you haven't called our customer service since 2012.  If you were unhappy with the price, why didn't you let us know?"

"If you could have offered me a more competitive price, why didn't you let me know?"

The girl told me that it would take about 15 minutes to cancel.  I told her no way, I just want to cancel.  She told me there were things we had to go over and disclaimers she had to provide.  OK, whatever...

"How often did you record shows?"

"WHAT?!!??!  WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH CANCELLING??!?!"

"Sir blahblahblahblah… How often did you record shows?"

"OK, never."

"How often did you use your remote to pause live shows?"

"Never."

"How oft"

"Never."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I’m so pissed off, I have an older model Genie that’s just a fucking shitshow tonight. Plus, the bottle of wine we had tonight was apparently laced with some kind of Batman villain anger juice, so I hate the world. 

I wish there was a decent whole home option with Spectrum/TW, would give it a try

There must have been a software update or something else that went horribly wrong. I've never seen so much go wrong all at the same time. Just waiting for Dish to sweeten their deal and I'm jumping ship. AT&T has ruined DTV. I think they are actively trying to run off customers so they can scrap the current sat based system for a wireless one.

DirecTV, including DTV Now, is a mess.

DTV Now is now randomly recording shows for me and filling up my DVR with crap and deleting older things.  No, I did not request that you DVR every episode of the George Lopez Show or The Daily Show.

8 hours ago, RPM said:

There must have been a software update or something else that went horribly wrong. I've never seen so much go wrong all at the same time. Just waiting for Dish to sweeten their deal and I'm jumping ship. AT&T has ruined DTV. I think they are actively trying to run off customers so they can scrap the current sat based system for a wireless one.

I’ve got some bad news about DISH. They all suck.