Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:45 AM, PilotsError said:

Yep, froze three or four times.  Changing the channel on my end did nothing.  

Yeah, ours kept doing that during the VaTech-ND game when we got back from the Fair. If you changed channels, it fixed itself. Just awful.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:20 AM, Beau Vine said:

I've had Directv for nearly 20 years, and I cancelled yesterday.  They even made that a pain in the ass.

First she offered $20/month off.  "No, I just want to cancel."  Then she said she could offer $43 off.  "Nope."  "What are you going to do for TV?"  "I'm going to pay $40/month to someone else."  "I can transfer you to a VIP specia…"  "NOPE."

"I see that you haven't called our customer service since 2012.  If you were unhappy with the price, why didn't you let us know?"

"If you could have offered me a more competitive price, why didn't you let me know?"

The girl told me that it would take about 15 minutes to cancel.  I told her no way, I just want to cancel.  She told me there were things we had to go over and disclaimers she had to provide.  OK, whatever...

"How often did you record shows?"

"WHAT?!!??!  WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH CANCELLING??!?!"

"Sir blahblahblahblah… How often did you record shows?"

"OK, never."

"How often did you use your remote to pause live shows?"

"Never."

"How oft"

"Never."

imgur

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe they are starting to get the message.

DirecTV reported a staggering 346,000 net loss in subscribers for the quarter.

AT&T tanked almost 7 percent Wednesday after reporting its third quarter earnings and revealing its DirecTV division is bleeding subscribers.

The company's satellite TV division DirecTV reported a net loss of 359,000 subscribers for the quarter. Analysts had expected AT&T to shed 245,000 satellite subscribers, according to FactSet. It lost 251,000 in the same period last year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/24/att-earnings-q3-2018.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2018 at 8:15 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

I’ve got some bad news about DISH. They all suck. 

Not for me. Switched in September and it's been a breath of fresh air. I'm in the hill country and I didn't lose signal once with all the rain. Directv signal would crap out with 10% chance of a cricket's piss.

My only complaint thus far is the fucker who I signed up with lied about LHN being in HD. They've got the channel in SD but the HD channel is blank. That one really grinds my gears. Especially since the fuckface was all, "err. It's 2018, sir. All the channels listed are in HD." 

Still some BS. Especially when I ask about it having heard it before and basically being told, "of course, dumbass. All channels are in HD." 

Oh and they don't carry root sports or whatever the fuck channel the Rockets and Astros play on. Not that big of a deal to me but when I've got fox sports NW and Pittsburg, kinda fucky.

• 2 months later...

Gotdamnit....

I'm still with DTV. I'm old fashioned. When they "upgraded" me to the Genie 18 months ago, they said it was free with a 2-year contract. I said ok.  Come Aug, we gone.

Well on the 3rd, I woke to an error 775 - can't communicate with dish error.  Call DTV, get it working but they want to send a Tech to check the connections.  Set that up for the next day.  Then she tries to up-sell me to their Protection Plan that covers TVs, laptops, etc for $21/month.  Heard this shit before, told her I wasn't interested.  Tech came yesterday and tightened the connections. (apparently they'd gotten loose)

This AM, I get an email saying that the repair had been made and the work order was closed.  For some reason I decided to read the copious amount of text below the graphic. 

It said I agreed to the $21 protection plan and that the  billing would be reflected on the next bill! 

Went to their website to remove it.  Can't find a way to remove it. 

So I call them, hold for 5 minutes talk to some woman about it.  She puts me on hold for a couple of minutes to talk with an account rep.  She then transfers me to the account rep (after a 1 minute hold) who asks what I'm calling about.  Finally I think I got it cancelled.  Told him I didn't agree to it, want it taken off, and there to be no pro-rated charge.  Also told him that I resented what DTV had done and considered it fraud.

Then they tried to up-sell me to ATT internet services....SMDH.

Their customer service has gotten exponentially worse since AT&T took over. I had to swap out my Genie (3rd time in 2 years) and argued until I was blue in the face to get them to just mail me a new one and not send a tech. When they finally did, there was no return label. I don't have a UPS or AT&T store in my county for drop off, I have to use USPS and they won't take it without a label. After a half dozen calls over 3 weeks that went absolutely nowhere I finally got them to send me a complete return kit during a chat session. Apparently they are unable to simply send a label in an envelope or by email, but they're working in shifts to make that technology possible someday. Just as soon as I get upgraded internet service out here, which isn't even scheduled to happen, I'm done with DTV.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, RPM said:

Their customer service has gotten exponentially worse since AT&T took over. I had to swap out my Genie (3rd time in 2 years) and argued until I was blue in the face to get them to just mail me a new one and not send a tech. When they finally did, there was no return label. I don't have a UPS or AT&T store in my county for drop off, I have to use USPS and they won't take it without a label. After a half dozen calls over 3 weeks that went absolutely nowhere I finally got them to send me a complete return kit during a chat session. Apparently they are unable to simply send a label in an envelope or by email, but they're working in shifts to make that technology possible someday. Just as soon as I get upgraded internet service out here, which isn't even scheduled to happen, I'm done with DTV.

Yeah, I had the same issue last year when we moved. Free 4K upgrade that we were supposed to get? Nope. $100 gift card because they fucked up? Nope. 

My favorite is calling and having the CS rep I could turn off one of my receivers to save $5 a month. I basically told her look do you really think I would waste my time to call in to save five fucking dollars? She sent me to the retention department rather quickly after that. 

And wanted to add they are too fucking stupid to realize if they just dropped their shorts now they would be able to keep a shit ton of their clients from leaving. Instead of forcing your clients to call in every 6 months to cut their bill in half how about you run an audit and see who calls in every 6 months. Offer all of those clients a reduced charge and let the fuckers that never call in pay full price. It really isn't that difficult not to mention you would be able to cut your fucking CS department by half who all they do all day is field calls of people pissed that they are paying too much.  

Edited by JimmyHoffa

On 1/7/2019 at 10:02 AM, JimmyHoffa said:

Yeah, I had the same issue last year when we moved. Free 4K upgrade that we were supposed to get? Nope. $100 gift card because they fucked up? Nope. 

My favorite is calling and having the CS rep I could turn off one of my receivers to save $5 a month. I basically told her look do you really think I would waste my time to call in to save five fucking dollars? She sent me to the retention department rather quickly after that. 

And wanted to add they are too fucking stupid to realize if they just dropped their shorts now they would be able to keep a shit ton of their clients from leaving. Instead of forcing your clients to call in every 6 months to cut their bill in half how about you run an audit and see who calls in every 6 months. Offer all of those clients a reduced charge and let the fuckers that never call in pay full price. It really isn't that difficult not to mention you would be able to cut your fucking CS department by half who all they do all day is field calls of people pissed that they are paying too much.  

Yup. If they topped out at 100 (with movie and sports) no one would go through the cutting cord hassle. 

Plans from 25-100 and they would be growing instead of shrinking 

I'm pretty fucking enraged right now. 

I've been looking forward to telling DirecTV to fuck off for a long time, with the expectation that I would switch to Dish or Xfinity or something when we move at the end of this month. 

In doing my comparison shopping, I've discovered that Dish is still in one of their all-too-frequent standoffs with a critical channel (this time it's HBO's turn in the barrel - apparently since November or some shit like someone mentioned a while ago upthread...) and Xfinity's DVR has a paltry 50 hour capacity - not workable for our household. 

I'm too impatient, short on time, and technologically incompetent to even consider cutting the cord and streaming everything, so I fear that I may be stuck with DirecTV after all. 

God fucking dammit. 

I travel a lot for work and need the convenience of a DVR with season pass capability, I often watch sporting events late, neither my wife nor I would have the faintest idea where to start (we don't even stream music, for fuck's sake), I don't really give a shit about the monthly expense of it all, and we have a 3.5 year old that would shit about the disruption to all his stuff. 

It's obviously a viable option for plenty of people and families, but I just don't think ours is one of them. 

I cut the cord and dropped DTV today.  I will save over $200 per month and the only thing I won't get is AT&T Sportsnet and I can deal with that.  It's not worth $200 per month.  I can watch the Astros elsewhere and I don't really watch much basketball except for March Madness.

Around the end of 2017 after I bought a 4k TV I ordered the 4k content and they told me I was eligible for a free genie upgrade for all of my TVs.  I was fine with the old stuff but I said ok if it's free.  They came out and had a hell of a time getting the equipment to work.  The old stuff worked fine.  A month later I get a bill and they want to charge me a one time fee of $400 for the new equipment ($99 per genie).  I raised hell and told them to come get the new stuff and reinstall the old stuff.  I protested the AmEx charge and DTV's response was to threaten to terminate the service.  Just to resolve it, I agreed to pay $250.

When I called today to cancel they said that my equipment lease ran until 12/31/19 and it would be a fee of $10 per month through 12/31/19.  I told the guy that if I was on a lease what was the $400 charge (which was reduced to $250) for?  He finally agreed to waive the termination fee.  

I would encourage everyone to look into the available streaming services.

• Like 1

I cut the cord and dropped DTV today.  I will save over $200 per month and the only thing I won't get is AT&T Sportsnet and I can deal with that.  It's not worth $200 per month.  I can watch the Astros elsewhere and I don't really watch much basketball except for March Madness.

Around the end of 2017 after I bought a 4k TV I ordered the 4k content and they told me I was eligible for a free genie upgrade for all of my TVs.  I was fine with the old stuff but I said ok if it's free.  They came out and had a hell of a time getting the equipment to work.  The old stuff worked fine.  A month later I get a bill and they want to charge me a one time fee of $400 for the new equipment ($99 per genie).  I raised hell and told them to come get the new stuff and reinstall the old stuff.  I protested the AmEx charge and DTV's response was to threaten to terminate the service.  Just to resolve it, I agreed to pay $250.

When I called today to cancel they said that my equipment lease ran until 12/31/19 and it would be a fee of $10 per month through 12/31/19.  I told the guy that if I was on a lease what was the $400 charge (which was reduced to $250) for?  He finally agreed to waive the termination fee.  

I would encourage everyone to look into the available streaming services.

DirectTV used to be such a good company/product.  I recall a time when everyone was switching from DISH and cable because of the amazing service.  Nice fucking job AT&T.  For years, my wife has been on my case to throttle down and cut the cord.  I've resisted because we watch a lot of different channels and paying a few 10's of dollars extra a month was worth it to know that I'd be able to find 99% of what we watch.  

With the current inability to get anything fixed, I'm about to join y'all.  I have the 4k service but the GD channel doesn't work.  I get a, "Your tv does not support 4k content" message.  The F it doesn't.  It's a 4k tv which works fine with every other 4k content I have.  I'm averse to calling in to fix the problem because every time I try to get something fixed, I'm on the GD phone multiple times for multiple hours.  Y'all should have seen the process by which I simply needed to replace the "master" box.  JFC, it took 7 phone calls and two different returns to get it fixed.

47 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

DirectTV used to be such a good company/product.  I recall a time when everyone was switching from DISH and cable because of the amazing service.  Nice fucking job AT&T.  For years, my wife has been on my case to throttle down and cut the cord.  I've resisted because we watch a lot of different channels and paying a few 10's of dollars extra a month was worth it to know that I'd be able to find 99% of what we watch.  

With the current inability to get anything fixed, I'm about to join y'all.  I have the 4k service but the GD channel doesn't work.  I get a, "Your tv does not support 4k content" message.  The F it doesn't.  It's a 4k tv which works fine with every other 4k content I have.  I'm averse to calling in to fix the problem because every time I try to get something fixed, I'm on the GD phone multiple times for multiple hours.  Y'all should have seen the process by which I simply needed to replace the "master" box.  JFC, it took 7 phone calls and two different returns to get it fixed.

I used to get that from time to time.  For me it's a simple setting in the DirecTV menu under Display settings that get's borked in the handshaking in the HDMI cable between the box and TV.  Before I replaced my HDMI cable I would get that error a couple times a month.  Haven't had the problem now in over a year.

Edited by McCroskey

54 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

What is the consensus on the best non-satellite/cable option? HBO included

For me, DirecTV now, but only because as a certain AT&T customer, I get HBO free and $10 off my bill.  I  get exactly what I want/watch, minus LHN (meh, thank you Reddit) for like $17 and HBO (for life).

Coworker just dumped DirecTV after 20 years when her bill went to $240/month and they refused to negotiate.  Apparently, they're going with YouTube TV ($40/mo) and HBO Now ($15/mo).  Lineup includes just about every sports channel except LHN, as well as a nice selection of channels.  My uVerse contract ends in Sept and I'm strongly considering it.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7YeSsLP13wIVg7jACh0TJQMAEAAYASAAEgIfXfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I think YoutubeTV is probably the best for sports.  I've been happy with it so far. 

Yeah a guy in our office switched about 6 months ago and said it was the best decision he ever made. He said Youtube TV has everything he needs. I will probably go that route at some point but right now isn't the time.  

Edited by JimmyHoffa

I pay ~40 bucks total for DirecTV and internet. I have the choice package and their highest Internet speed. I went to streaming a few years ago and got offers each month to come back that kept getting better and better. Went back in the summer of 2017. I've never had an issue with them since signing back up.

• 4 weeks later...

Well looks like I am finally ready to dump the shit after years of swearing they were the best. Just got off the phone with DirecTV to try and lower my $200 a month bill. 

Yes, I was talking to customer retention- 

"I'm sorry sir since you currently have a $25 discount being applied to your account I can't offer anything else" 

"Also AT&T no longer prorates a cancellation so even if you cancel today you won't be reimbursed for the unused portion of your service it will just be canceled the last day of your billing cycle" 

So I asked why do you nickel and dime people paying $200 a month when there is competitor products out there for $40-$50 a month? 

"That's a good question sir would you like to try DirecTV now?"

Nope, you will be losing a loyal client at the end of this month when my billing cycle is over. 

"OK"

Click. 

FUCK THEM! 

• Like 6

It's crazy the variety of "help" one gets when calling DirectTV.  The last guy I called, a month ago, lowered my bill to $80 a month.  And, hell, they even tell you to call back in 6 or 12 months to re-up the discount.  

When I called, I found out that I haven't been in contract for awhile, so I can switch at any time if I want.  

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 7:19 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

It's crazy the variety of "help" one gets when calling DirectTV.  The last guy I called, a month ago, lowered my bill to $80 a month.  And, hell, they even tell you to call back in 6 or 12 months to re-up the discount.  

When I called, I found out that I haven't been in contract for awhile, so I can switch at any time if I want.  

That is what I don't understand. As when I called 6 months ago the guy told me the old call back in 6 to 12 months once the discounts he had just given me ran out. I don't know if I was dealing with a noob or what but she said AT&T had changed what could be offered as a discount. I am not under contract either so it's really odd that they were just going to lose a 10 year customer over $50-$75 a month in discounts. 

I did see that they have been losing 400K customers the last couple of quarters and only adding about 50K to 75K on their DirecTVNow platform. I'm not a math major but that doesn't seem like a very good business model. 

Update- I was on hold at work with a company so I jumped on DirecTV online chat and after about 30 seconds the guy offered me an additional $75 off a month for a year. 

So, I guess the old "hang up until you talk to the right person" is still the route to go at least for as long as you can stomach dealing with these idiots. 

Well DirecTV never ceases to find new ways to fuck over their customers while jacking up the cost for their longtime subscribers. They have announced that we will no longer be able to stream several channels (yet to be named) from out of home on the DirecTV app beginning on March 4th. Also, we can no longer stream shows from our DVR. FUCK YOU DIRECTV. When I get home from work, I just want to turn the fucking TV on and watch what I want without futzing with different online platforms especially when it comes to watching sports. That’s the only reason I haven’t dropped these assholes.

Changes to the DIRECTV App

What is changing on the App?

Beginning March 4, 2019 some channels will no longer be available to stream out of home on the DIRECTV App.  Additionally, streaming recorded shows from your DVR out of home will not be available.

Why is this happening?

We are focusing our development on our more used features in order to provide customers with the best experience.  To learn more about the many popular features that will remain after this update, see below.  We remain committed to bringing you the best experience on our app.

Will I still be able to watch live TV?

Yes!  The number of channels available to stream live out of home varies by your package and location and may change from time to time.

How do I know which channels are available to stream live?

The DIRECTV app will automatically display only those channels that are available in your package and available for streaming based on whether you are in home or out of home.

Can I still watch what is on my DVR when I’m not at home?

You can still download your favorite recorded shows from your DVR to your DIRECTV App while you are at home just as you have done before and watch it wherever you go*.  Because they’re downloaded to your device, you can watch them anywhere, even when you’re on an airplane and don’t have a cellular or Wi-Fi connection.

Can I still set my shows to record from my mobile/tablet device?

You can still use the DIRECTV App to schedule recordings on your DVR when you’re away from home.

Can I still stream on demand shows and movies out of home, on the go?

You can access over 50,000 shows and movies on demand to watch virtually anytime, anywhere on your favorite devices**.

For more information, please visit directv.com/app.

*DIRECTV App & Mobile DVR: Available only in the US. (excl Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I.). Req’s compatible device. Live streaming channels based on your TV pkg & location.  Not all channels available to stream out of home. To watch recorded shows on the go, must download to mobile device using Genie HD DVR model HR 44 or higher connected to home WiFi network. Rewind and fast-forward may not work. Limits: Mature, music, pay-per-view and some On Demand content is not available for downloading. Five shows on 5 devices at once. All functions and programming subject to change at any time.

**Requires subscription to DIRECTV’s top-tier PREMIER programming package. Other packages will have fewer shows and movies. Features available on select channels/programs. Internet-connected HD DVR (model HR20 or later) required.