Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

I just received a call from an Indian call center. I signed up with DirecTV in October and have the Choice Xtra package with Starz, Cinemax, HBO and Showtime. I am paying $133 a month now. I was told my bill would be reduced to $75 for the next 2 years for the same package PLUS free Sunday Ticket and a $100 Visa gift card. He said that this discount is being offered because of a sponsorship ATT has with eBay. He mentioned that ATT realized their services are way overpriced haha. The catch is that I need to buy an eBay gift card for $300 and basically pay 4 months in advance with the gift card. I have to call back to the billing department by 8pm tonight to pay the $300 Almost seems too good to be true but I called DirecTV with the promo code I was given and it is legit. I was pretty pissed off at DirecTV over the weekend because I requested another Mini 4K client and they sent me a wired instead of a wireless box and wanted me to pay $99 and cancel my appointment with the installer. Pretty frigging happy to get a big discount and be free of my contract.

I just received a call from an Indian call center. I signed up with DirecTV in October and have the Choice Xtra package with Starz, Cinemax, HBO and Showtime. I am paying $133 a month now. I was told my bill would be reduced to $75 for the next 2 years for the same package PLUS free Sunday Ticket and a $100 Visa gift card. He said that this discount is being offered because of a sponsorship ATT has with eBay. He mentioned that ATT realized their services are way overpriced haha. The catch is that I need to buy an eBay gift card for $300 and basically pay 4 months in advance with the gift card. I have to call back to the billing department by 8pm tonight to pay the $300 Almost seems too good to be true but I called DirecTV with the promo code I was given and it is legit. I was pretty pissed off at DirecTV over the weekend because I requested another Mini 4K client and they sent me a wired instead of a wireless box and wanted me to pay $99 and cancel my appointment with the installer. Pretty frigging happy to get a big discount and be free of my contract.

On second thought doesn’t pass the smell test. Im sure it’s a scam. Got called by an Indian and then give you second number to call and it’s a Russian sounding dude, I spoke with a Russian about my receiver so that’s why I thought it was legit.

Yeah, no company will ever require a customer to purchase a gift card to fulfill an offer. If a sketchy offer ever provides a phone number, make sure you go to the company’s actual website (not a link in the suspect offer) and check theIr actual phone numbers. Glad you figured it out.

Damn they’re running a pretty sophisticated scam operation. They fucking knew what I was paying per month and had my address those bastards. I almost always hang up when I get calls from 800 numbers but I guess hearing that I could lower my high DirecTV was a good hook. The real DirecTV reps are Russian and that is why it seemed legit. Thankfully, I looked into this more. Fucking bastards

Holy shit you actually thought it was legit? Are you brain damaged?

No company would ever tell you that you first have to buy a gift card from a third party.  And you thought it was legit.  What a buffoon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 1/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I suppose I could go with Dish and just subscribe to HBONow, too. 

That's a bit much, but I really do despise DirecTV. 

This is actually AT&T/DirecTV's fault.  AT&T owns Time Warner which owns HBO and they are trying to fuck Dish by requiring them to either charge an arm an a leg for the HBO package to their customers or eat the loss themselves.  AT&T is going to have to be broken up again eventually.  They promised they would never do something like this when the AT&T and Time Warner merger was in the approval process which they then reneged on at the first opportunity.

Edited by kevwun

I've bitched about this before, but my Directv on demand (HBO in specific) is completely fucked.  I go to play past GOT episodes, they show on the list and then when I go to play them, it says there are no episodes.  Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, Sbbruin said:

I've bitched about this before, but my Directv on demand (HBO in specific) is completely fucked.  I go to play past GOT episodes, they show on the list and then when I go to play them, it says there are no episodes.  Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

Why not use HBO Go or Now or whichever you can use with a cable log-in? 

Viacom is running a crawl informing DTV customers and giving numbers to call. DTV is covering it up with a black bar as soon as it comes on.

Saw that last night during South Park reruns. They must’ve finally given up because I could see the notification at some point.

Just got through fighting with them about my bill. Assholes charged me $135 for not returning a receiver that I most certainly did return. They showed $135 credit but when you look closer the credit was a charge. Like to have never got them to admit that. They refunded the $135 to me and said sorry. Then I asked about the original charge and they were like we just credited that. No, you just fixed the 2nd fuckup where ya'll can't tell addition from subtraction. You still owe me the original $135! Want to get a gotdam flamethrower and go to town on them.

• Like 1

this is what happens when huge companies that control phone/internet start buying up companies that control access to content (directv) and producers of content (warner bros/hbo/turner).  this is the type of shit that used to be illegal (or so i thought).  the fox/disney merger is not without its faults either, and it's all gonna come to a head when the next 3-4 streaming platforms launch, up to and especially apple's.

my prediction is that everyone dumped their $200/month satellite/cable packages that had access to everything in favor of $200/month (eventually) of 9 different streaming services to access the exact same stuff.

the more things change...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

Just got through fighting with them about my bill. Assholes charged me $135 for not returning a receiver that I most certainly did return. They showed $135 credit but when you look closer the credit was a charge. Like to have never got them to admit that. They refunded the $135 to me and said sorry. Then I asked about the original charge and they were like we just credited that. No, you just fixed the 2nd fuckup where ya'll can't tell addition from subtraction. You still owe me the original $135! Want to get a gotdam flamethrower and go to town on them.

We're currently embroiled in a similar situation. 

Fuck DirecTV in the goatass. 

3 hours ago, RPM said:

I had an even worse situation with them over an equipment return. Finally just had my bank go after them. Amazingly, problem was solved in 24 hours. 

On 3/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Have I ever mentioned that you're the biggest dumbass on this board?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m fed up with DirecTV. I can go streaming route or I can bail on AT&T entirely and try Charter Spectrum — dumb idea? Any relation to Time Warner? I’ve heard horror stories regarding TW.

Basically every streaming offers a month free.  Just try them all out before you even think about going cable.  

On 3/20/2019 at 12:24 AM, RPM said:

Viacom is running a crawl informing DTV customers and giving numbers to call. DTV is covering it up with a black bar as soon as it comes on.

And now they have it rotating around the screen so DTV can't cover it up 

41 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m fed up with DirecTV. I can go streaming route or I can bail on AT&T entirely and try Charter Spectrum — dumb idea? Any relation to Time Warner? I’ve heard horror stories regarding TW.

What Beau said, though the free trial may be just a week for some. Try the streaming first. I tried both YouTubeTV and DTVNow and YouTubeTV is (for me) far superior. $40 a month, unlimited DVR, enough channels (including your locals) and up to 6 devices/TVs at once. Only bad thing is Google’s (parent company)  pissing match with both AT&T and Amazon. YTTV isn’t offered on Amazon devices and no HBO offered thru the service. You can buy HBO Go independently for about $15 a month. Use Roku and it works perfectly. 

DirectTV Now has just raised its prices from $40 to $50 a month, but HBO and one of the other premiums is included. But only two devices at once ($5 for another), shitty DVR and interface is less intuitive. And when I sampled it, my local ABC and WB weren’t showing up in the lineup. I never tried Hulu or Sling

Thanks to some Roku trials, we’ve been off DirecTV for more than two months and still haven’t paid a cent. Latest trial ends tomorrow, and we actually can do a free DirecTV Now for another month, but it sucked so much, we’ll probably just start paying for YouTubeTV. 

Monthly cost will go from $145 for full DTV to $40 plus tax.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Got an email last week that my DirecTV NOW package is being discontinued but they will let me keep it for $10 more per month, but they recommend I switch to the new “cheap plan” for $20 more per month and fewer channels than I currently get. What a steal!

this exact email is being discussed in the cord cutters thread.

prob some good info over there for @C-Man too.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 1:34 PM, Eugene11 said:

mtv and vh1 still have channels??? BWAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

i seriously had no idea.  

They just play Catfish, Ridiculousness and reality shows where they put a bunch of young people in a house with their ex boyfriend/girlfriends on an endless loop. 

The Viacom thing seems to happen every few years and it gets settled.  Your precious “Flavor of Love” and “Basketball Wives” isn’t going away. 

49 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

They just play Catfish, Ridiculousness and reality shows where they put a bunch of young people in a house with their ex boyfriend/girlfriends on an endless loop. 

The Viacom thing seems to happen every few years and it gets settled.  Your precious “Flavor of Love” and “Basketball Wives” isn’t going away. 

that block does feature some of the best syndication reruns.  otherwise, meh.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:49 PM, Vito Andolini said:

What Beau said, though the free trial may be just a week for some. Try the streaming first. I tried both YouTubeTV and DTVNow and YouTubeTV is (for me) far superior. $40 a month, unlimited DVR, enough channels (including your locals) and up to 6 devices/TVs at once. Only bad thing is Google’s (parent company)  pissing match with both AT&T and Amazon. YTTV isn’t offered on Amazon devices and no HBO offered thru the service. You can buy HBO Go independently for about $15 a month. Use Roku and it works perfectly. 

DirectTV Now has just raised its prices from $40 to $50 a month, but HBO and one of the other premiums is included. But only two devices at once ($5 for another), shitty DVR and interface is less intuitive. And when I sampled it, my local ABC and WB weren’t showing up in the lineup. I never tried Hulu or Sling

Thanks to some Roku trials, we’ve been off DirecTV for more than two months and still haven’t paid a cent. Latest trial ends tomorrow, and we actually can do a free DirecTV Now for another month, but it sucked so much, we’ll probably just start paying for YouTubeTV. 

Monthly cost will go from $145 for full DTV to $40 plus tax.

This is the first list of ways to drop directv ive seen that seems plausible to me. Serious questions thought...

whats happens with LHN, sports in general like espn and football games? Golf channel? stupid car shows were they overhaul cars, hgtv type shit for the wife?  

3 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

This is the first list of ways to drop directv ive seen that seems plausible to me. Serious questions thought...

whats happens with LHN, sports in general like espn and football games? Golf channel? stupid car shows were they overhaul cars, hgtv type shit for the wife?  

Basic ESPN and I think ESPN2 is included on most of the streaming platforms. LHN is on the more expensive version of DirecTV Now, but not on the $50 package and not on YouTubeTV. I don’t think HGTV is on the DirecTV packages, but I think it was on YouTubeTV.

My work around for getting LHN will be to use the ESPN app, which is available on most smart TVs. You have to sign in with a cable provider, and it should work with the streaming services. Before regular DirecTV added LHN, I used my mom’s cable account, and still have that as a backup if needed.

Not sure about Golf Channel. 

I would check out a free week of YouTubeTV to see for yourself how it works. My ability to retrieve all network shows had been screwed up for years with my old Genie, so it’s nice to be able to go back and watch a show if we missed it.

edited to add HGTV also has an app on smart TVs, so if you have a cable login, you can see all their content.

Edited by Vito Andolini

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Basic ESPN and I think ESPN2 is included on most of the streaming platforms. LHN is on the more expensive version of DirecTV Now, but not on the $50 package and not on YouTubeTV. I don’t think HGTV is on the DirecTV packages, but I think it was on YouTubeTV.

My work around for getting LHN will be to use the ESPN app, which is available on most smart TVs. You have to sign in with a cable provider, and it should work with the streaming services. Before regular DirecTV added LHN, I used my mom’s cable account, and still have that as a backup if needed.

Not sure about Golf Channel. 

I would check out a free week of YouTubeTV to see for yourself how it works. My ability to retrieve all network shows had been screwed up for years with my old Genie, so it’s nice to be able to go back and watch a show if we missed it.

edited to add HGTV also has an app on smart TVs, so if you have a cable login, you can see all their content.

You mentioned cable login a couple times. So basically you still need a mainstream (ie cable or satellite) service to get all this hit we want?  

Inwi check out yttv thought seems interesting 

If you have a smart TV, you may already have the ESPN app preloaded. If you don’t have such a TV, you’ll need a streaming device such as a Roku or Amazon Stick/Fire etc. You can buy these with varying features, but a $30 Roku should be good enough for most needs. Download ESPN if it’s not a default app.

If you know your DirecTV user name and password for your account, you can go ahead and use that info now and log into ESPN and see how it works. It’s the same for your smartphone or tablet. Just go to the App Store and download the ESPN app.

Yes, once you dump your expensive full DirecTV service you’ll need to subscribe to a cable/satellite or streaming service that has ESPN included, but a $40 YouTubeTV account should work. I think LHN will show up on the app, but I’m not 100% sure.

Just updated a few days ago-

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-live-tv-streaming-services-for-cord-cutters/

BIG FIVE TV STREAMING SERVICES COMPARED

Hulu with Live TV YouTube TV Sling TV PlayStation Vue DirecTV Now
Base price $45/month for 60+ channels $40/month for 60+ channels $25/month for 30+ channels $45/month for 55+ channels $50/month for 40+ channels
Free trial Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC channels Yes, in many markets Yes, in many markets FOX and NBC only in select cities Yes, in many markets Yes, in many markets
Video on demand from local channels Yes Yes No Yes Yes
Step-up packages with more channels No No Yes, an extra $5/month each $50/month, $60/month or $80/month $70/month
Simultaneous streams per account 2 ($15 option for unlimited) 3 1 or 3 5 2 ($5 option for 3)
Family member/user profiles Yes Yes No Yes No
Pause, rewind, fast-forward Yes Yes Yes, except for Disney or ESPN channels Yes Yes
Record shows for later (cloud DVR) Yes Yes (keep for 9 months) Yes ($5 per month, can't record Disney or ESPN channels) Yes (keep for 28 days) Yes (20GB, keep for 30 days)
Fast-forward through or skip commercials with cloud DVR No (Yes with $15 option) Yes Yes Yes Yes
DVR show replaced by on-demand version No Yes No No No
Video on demand/3-day replay Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Parental controls Yes No Yes No No
Bandwidth limiter No No Yes No No

I use Sling during football season for NFL RedZone. I use Hulu the rest of the year. Happy with it. I really find myself watching less and less live tv. 

The free Pluto service is actually getting some of my time. Lots of odd content. Do like the Mystery Science Theater channel.

• Like 1

I can’t beleive at least most of y’all haven’t cut the cord yet.  Going on almost 2 years now and I can’t imagine ever going back to DirecTV.  Hell my 75 year old parents cut the cord and they’re getting along just fine. Unless your internet just sucks total ass, I can see no reason why not to do this.

1) Get an Amazon Fire stick - $40

2) Get PlayStation Vue app - packages around $50 per month

3) ??????

4) Profit.  Only this time you literally profit.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

I can’t beleive at least most of y’all haven’t cut the cord yet.  Going on almost 2 years now and I can’t imagine ever going back to DirecTV.  Hell my 75 year old parents cut the cord and they’re getting along just fine. Unless your internet just sucks total ass, I can see no reason why not to do this.

1) Get an Amazon Fire stick - $40

2) Get PlayStation Vue app - packages around $50 per month

3) ??????

4) Profit.  Only this time you literally profit.

You should probably include internet access in your calculations. Unless your 75 year old parents pay for that 

On 3/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, Deej said:

I use Sling during football season for NFL RedZone. I use Hulu the rest of the year. Happy with it. I really find myself watching less and less live tv. 

The free Pluto service is actually getting some of my time. Lots of odd content. Do like the Mystery Science Theater channel.

Pluto is great. MST3K, Rifftrax, comedy channel, bloopers channel, cat chanel, car stuff, movies, news channels, hot chicks dancing in bikini channel, news channels.  Yeah, an eclectic collection of stuff but for free it's pretty awesome  

15 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

You should probably include internet access in your calculations. Unless your 75 year old parents pay for that 

13 hours ago, RPM said:

Don't forget not everyone has access to high speed internet. So unless you like watching buffering 380p video, cutting the cord isn't an option.

Yes...assuming you already have high speed internet.  I can’t imagine not having it as it seems like damn near every device we own anymore needs it (and the list keeps growing), so kind of assumed everyone does.  But if you don’t have access to it or don’t want it for some weird reason, then cutting the cord isn’t for you.  And you’re either old or live in the sticks.