Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Get a fire stick.  Get PS Vue.  Problem solved.

Need to look into this option. I already have a Fire Stick, a Fire TV and a couple of 2nd Gen Apple TV's. Will need internet/WiFi provider too. Have seen some folks say their internet through AT&T go pretty high once they cut out the satellite.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Have seen some folks say their internet through AT&T go pretty high once they cut out the satellite.

It depends on who you're dealing with when you call. When I dropped uVerse, the AT&T rep (who didn''t really offer anything to keep me on uVerse) offered us 100MB fiber for $30/mo for a year, which was what we were paying for much slower uVerse internet under our old bundle.  I said yes.

I'm thinking (from reading this thread and talking to friends, neighbors, and coworkers) that there are two kinds of retention employees at AT&T: former DirecTV people with good customer service skills who know how the game is played and will offer you a good deal (like DTV always did), and AT&T employees who follow the script in front of them and don't give a rip if you cancel.

Edited by Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

. When I dropped uVerse, the AT&T rep (who didn''t really offer anything to keep me on uVerse) offered us 100MB fiber for $30/mo for a year

Fuck me. I pay $50 a month for 1.5MB and rarely see it that fast.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 3:15 PM, RPM said:

I'm convinced they want to drive away sat customers and move them to streaming because sats are so expensive to operate/expand and they already own backbone. Problem is their streaming app sucks balls and rural customers have poor access.

The problem with that plan is that anyone that has dealt with their customer service the last few years wants absolutely nothing to do with them.   Like many, I was in the category of paying more than I should and dealing with a shitty company, purely for convenience of not wanting to reconfigure everything across the 6 TV's in the house.  I finally pulled the trigger last week and not looking back.  And I certainly didn't consider DTV Now as an option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

The problem with that plan is that anyone that has dealt with their customer service the last few years wants absolutely nothing to do with them.   Like many, I was in the category of paying more than I should and dealing with a shitty company, purely for convenience of not wanting to reconfigure everything across the 6 TV's in the house.  I finally pulled the trigger last week and not looking back.  And I certainly didn't consider DTV Now as an option.

What did you do? Or did I miss that upstream?

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What did you do? Or did I miss that upstream?

I went with PSVUE, primarily because they have LHN and YTTV does not.  I bought several Roku Firestick + for my TV's that weren't already smart TV's with Roku.  Still learning it and need to spend more time getting comfortable with the PSVUE DVR, but overall so far so good.    Timing was right as a lot of my Audio/Video was unhooked and needed to be reinstalled from flood damage in any event (which we've discussed in other threads) so this  made it an easy time to pull the trigger.

51 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Hope PSVUE has upgraded the DVR. It wasn’t bad but I always got bugs during football season. Sometimes you couldn’t watch from the beginning. Sometimes the stream wouldn’t record or be available for whatever reason. Fingers crossed. 

Yeah, a week in this has been only issue.   Still trying to get hang of it but either there are some bugs or I'm fucking up. Going to try to get more familiar with it but going to be a problem if it has pretty limited functionality from time to time.  Show kept freezing and I finally gave up.  Another for some reason didn't start recording until 15 mins in.

Never thought it would happen but all my DTV receivers are bundled up in my office, waiting on the box to ship them back to arrive next week sometime.   Cancelled my account today and literally within minutes was setup on basically an equivalent level of streaming service through my local fiber internet provider for almost 50% what DTV was charging me.

• Like 1

So I'm about to have to switch to DirectTv since Uverse no longer gets the NFL or Red Zone channel.  I have a question though.  Do I need a receiver for each TV if I have a smart TV capable of streaming off of the DirectTV app? 

54 minutes ago, Hate said:

So I'm about to have to switch to DirectTv since Uverse no longer gets the NFL or Red Zone channel.  I have a question though.  Do I need a receiver for each TV if I have a smart TV capable of streaming off of the DirectTV app? 

Are you doing Directv or DIrectvNow?

23 minutes ago, Hate said:

Direct Tv. I thought the app was included with the subscription? Essentially, I’m trying not to pay for 4 receivers monthly if I can get away with it.

I used to use an IR remote extender and video sender/receiver to watch DirecTV in my bedroom without a receiver. It worked well, but not in HD, which was OK on my small TV for short periods.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hate said:

Direct Tv. I thought the app was included with the subscription? Essentially, I’m trying not to pay for 4 receivers monthly if I can get away with it.

The app is included, but it's a shitty app. Better than nothing, but still shitty. (not all channels in your package available, freezes regularly, no dvr)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, C-Man said:

So now you can't get Red Zone Channel without ordering the entire Sunday Ticket package?

I think it has always been that way.  Just call Directv and ask for the Sunday ticket for free.  They will usually give you enough credits to cover the cost.

This is my first Sunday with the Ticket and I’m hooked. I love being able to flip around between the games.

I had it for years. It grew tiresome especially once I was paying for it. Felt obligated to watch football all day. I like the freedom of making a 3-hour appointment for Cowboys games. But for $10/mo the Red Zone is perfect. Can I get it thru an app?

I had it for years. It grew tiresome especially once I was paying for it. Felt obligated to watch football all day. I like the freedom of making a 3-hour appointment for Cowboys games. But for $10/mo the Red Zone is perfect. Can I get it thru an app?
Psvue gots it. And lhn sos ya can fap to galindo.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/25/sports-pack-add-on-for-playstation-vue-nfl-redzone-13-additional-sports-channels-for-10month/
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DirecTV considering to not renew NFL Sunday Ticket package. Great idea ATT dipshits. What can go wrong in dropping the #1 reason why anyone would keep DirecTV over the competition. Their CEO is a fucking idiot.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/directv-rethinks-nfl-sunday-ticket-deal-amid-cord-cutting-11569603153?cx_testId=30&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:57 PM, Hate said:

I didn’t realize there are 2 different Red Zone channels. Directv has one and the NFL channel has one. I like the NFL Network one better, but I don’t get it anymore.

DirecTV one shows only non-scoring plays, I imagine.

2 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Well they finally did it, Got my bill with all the "freebies and discounts dropped" $215. Fuck them.

Signed up for Youtube TV for $50 a month last night.

For the TV's that can't link to internet whats the best route to go? Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV? 

Any of the above should work, I believe they all support YoutubeTV (if one of them doesn't, then obviously don't get that one! :) ).

I have a couple of TVs on Roku and I like the interface. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Well they finally did it, Got my bill with all the "freebies and discounts dropped" $215. Fuck them.

Signed up for Youtube TV for $50 a month last night.

For the TV's that can't link to internet whats the best route to go? Roku, Fire Stick, Apple TV? 

A co-worker says Roku Ultra (full 4K, removable SD memory slots, voice-activated remote, ~$100) is the way to go, fwiw.  I've been too lazy/cheap to go out and get one of the newer Roku units that are 4K compliant, so I'm using an older Chromecast stick (1st gen, IIRC) to cast it to the TV directly from my iPhone.  Very simple to use.  It lags a bit when changing channels, but even still the picture quality is better than what I was getting with uVerse.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

I posted several questions and concerns back in this thread about switching from directv to streaming. 

I have since pulled the plug. I have Apple TV 4K and use PlayStation Vue for “normal tv” stuff. I get lhn, golf network, nfl network, any college game I want to watch and the couple stations miss Eugene likes to watch. PlayStation vue is ok as far as streaming quality. As noted above the on demand and dvr have a few bugs and the TV guide is a little annoying but over all it works just fine. I love the multi station viewing also for football games. We also have Netflix, Hulu and hbo now. And of course ESPN plus.

All in I’m about half price of what we were paying with all the directv bells and whistles. 

Not missing directv at all

I had several people say you won't understand until you get it. 

Well this is my post saying the same thing to those that still have DirecTV after having youtubeTV for a week-

Cons- lost a few channels that we watched on occasion, learning new system

Pros-

Price, ease of use, DVR set up, VOD set up, getting to tell the DirecTV CS agent no over and over again and probably a million other things I am not thinking of. 

And finally............... 

PICTURE- THE FUCKING PICTURE (especially sporting events) is literally 1000x clearer with youtubetv then it was with DirecTV like it's a joke how much crisper the picture is. And no my DirecTV settings weren't off. 

Edited by JimmyHoffa
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 9:22 AM, Js1 said:

I hate this shit too, but how is it fraud?  The service was in the daughter's name.  Not the mom.  

They said they told DTV they wouldn't accept a contract. What happened to me was that I called with a service question.  The tried to upsell me to an electronics protection plan. I told them no, absolutely not.  They billed me anyway.  Then out of the clear blue sky they told me my bill was going up because I orded a third genie mini. I didn't have 3 minis, didn't ask for a third, didn't want a third. Wasn't until I threatened them with reporting this fraud to the state attorney general that they relented.  So I bet DTV just noted them into a "contract" even though the family didn't want one.

• 2 months later...

LOL just got an email saying my Xtra Ultimate package is increasing $7 per month. Fuck them in the goatass. Bravo ATT, you couldn’t have done a better job in destroying what DirecTV used to be and driving away power users like myself. I have been reluctant to stream, this has put me over the edge.

• 4 months later...

Needing to do something about my DIRECTV bill. Paying quite a bit more than advertised $69.99/month pricing for Xtra package. Anybody have any recent luck getting pricing reduced by substantial amount? I keep telling myself to consider cutting the cord and going all streaming but haven't gotten there yet.

Edited by C-Man