Texas Tech @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

This team is better than the 2018 team this team just doesn't have a Kody Clemens that seemingly delivered in every clutch moment. Regardless of the outcome of this series this team is still in good shape to make a postseason run, just worry that like the 2018 team they may look overmatched against the best of college baseball like we saw on the opening weekend.

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

This team is better than the 2018 team this team just doesn't have a Kody Clemens that seemingly delivered in every clutch moment. Regardless of the outcome of this series this team is still in good shape to make a postseason run, just worry that like the 2018 team they may look overmatched against the best of college baseball like we saw on the opening weekend.

Which is unacceptable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Let’s see how we respond, sometimes this sort of thing is just what you need to re-focus on the stretch run. If we turtle the rest of the year, Texas is looking for a new baseball coach

No Texas won't be, they are 34-10 (12-4). West Virginia is also horrible.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
24 minutes ago, Machinator said:
And no, the end of game 2 will not be broadcast on LHN.

Do we at least get some more killer softball coverage?

Hey now... those ladies work fairly hard to be pretty good at what they do. 

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, it is, but it took one August Edmun Garrido four or five years at least to produce a Texas-quality team.  May have taken Gus a bit, too, but that was before my time.

Gus made the CWS in 7 of his first 8 years and won 9 straight SWC regular season titles to begin his career. 

Different era, of course. 

1 hour ago, chase25 said:

In fairness, Kodys performance that season was absurd. It was pretty much like creating a super player in mlb the show 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

This is year 5, season 4.

Augie was getting bounced in a regional in year 5 on their way to a 3rd place conference finish. Hindsight is always 20/20. Augie had skins on the wall so there was more faith that he would eventually get it going but it was by no means a quick process and you certainly can't say Pierce inherited any better of a situation.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LMAO at the "fire Pierce" angle.

We deserve what we get.  Our fans suck.

Pierce didn't shit the bed from the mound on Friday. 

Not that Ty deserves any blame for anything this season. Guys have off days.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We've finished last (2017), 6th (2018) and last (2019) in Big 12 batting under Pierce. Yeah, that's good. I should be happy with that. But who said fire Pierce?

38 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Augie was getting bounced in a regional in year 5 on their way to a 3rd place conference finish. Hindsight is always 20/20. Augie had skins on the wall so there was more faith that he would eventually get it going but it was by no means a quick process and you certainly can't say Pierce inherited any better of a situation.

Yeah, I'm not defending Pierce per se.  But we've had a number of years of shit baseball not under his watch under both his predecessors.

24 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

We've finished last (2017), 6th (2018) and last (2019) in Big 12 batting under Pierce. Yeah, that's good. I should be happy with that.

Last I checked, we were 4th in batting and 1st in pitching.  Can you be gruntled with that?

But who said fire Pierce?

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

If we turtle the rest of the year, Texas is looking for a new baseball coach

28 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

We've finished last (2017), 6th (2018) and last (2019) in Big 12 batting under Pierce. Yeah, that's good. I should be happy with that. But who said fire Pierce?

???

Uh we finished 6th (2017), 1st (2018), and last (2019). Started last year 14-3 before the season was cancelled. David Pierce is no Augie Garrido, nobody is and it is an unfair comparison to any baseball manager. Pierce in his first 4 seasons has done something in 2 years that it took Augie 6 years to do which is win the conference, made a regional in his 1st year, something it took Augie 3 years to do, and 2 years to make it to Omaha which took Augie 4 years to do at Texas. 

It's been a mixed bag under Pierce with a lot of promise and a little what the fuck was that (2019).

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

???

Uh we finished 6th (2017), 1st (2018), and last (2019). Started last year 14-3 before the season was cancelled. David Pierce is no Augie Garrido, nobody is and it is an unfair comparison to any baseball manager. Pierce in his first 4 seasons has done something in 2 years that it took Augie 6 years to do which is win the conference, made a regional in his 1st year, something it took Augie 3 years to do, and 2 years to make it to Omaha which took Augie 4 years to do at Augie. 

It's been a mixed bag under Pierce with a lot of promise and a little what the fuck was that (2019).

"in Big 12 batting"

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Last I checked, we were 4th in batting and 1st in pitching.  Can you be gruntled with that?

semi-gruntled.  Would like to see us bat better, Hopefully better days ahead, and Pierce's poorest batting teams are behind us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm looking for hosting a regional and winning. winning the super at a 40% clip.

Pierce has given me some hope here(especially with the improved overall hitting).  2019 was fucking horrible and we didn't get to wash the shitty taste out in 2020.  this is the year to do it.  As Super Regional will do that.  if we do we can get back to some semblance of normal Texas baseball.

if we happen to win, we are 2 CWS in 4 years.  to me 1 CWS every 3 years is a reasonable standard. 2 of every 4 is Garrido/Gus territory

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It’s insane. A Cantu fuck up away from the supers in 2017, big 12 champs and a cws appearance in 2018. 2019 we got murdered by injuries and youth. Got off to a hot start in 2020 then that virus thing happened. Madden just didn’t have it yesterday. Wasn’t able to watch today but hopefully we can we can rally and steal game 2 tomorrow then go all in on game 3. Losing this series isn’t the end of the world. Take game 3, take 2 of 3 from the roaches then sweep West Virginia and gear up for the Regional 

• Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

"in Big 12 batting"

My bad lol. Still not much to be worried about IMO. Texas finished 8th in the conference in AVG. in 2014 and were 1 run away from playing for it all.

No one is going to mistake Arkansas for a poor hitting team, very good actually which is why it actually shocked me when I went and looked earlier today before their offensive explosion against LSU to find out they are hitting .283 (after today's game) as a team and were hitting just .254 in conference play before today's game (now .266).

Now they have played a really tough schedule so it isn't an apples to apples comparison but for comparison Texas is hitting .280 (.267 in conference). I think most just have a really bad taste because of just how overmatched they looked that opening weekend which they did look really fucking bad. An opening weekend in which Mitchell Daly and Douglas Hodo did not play. 

Edited by chase25

46 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

semi-gruntled.  Would like to see us bat better, Hopefully better days ahead, and Pierce's poorest batting teams are behind us. 

Assuming Melendez and Cam come back next year, those 2 with Daly, Hodo and Silas coming back is a nice start. Hopefully Faltine can improve at the plate.  Then there’s dudes like Geib, Powell, Campbell and a 40 year old Austin Todd coming back. It’d be nice if Kennedy could put it all together. He’s shown flashes of gap to gap power, just hasn’t been able to put it all together. And we got another recruiting class with a bunch of legit hitters. Keep recruiting at this level and keep Tulo around and we should be a consistent top 10 team over the next few years 

Also also Louisville and Tennessee both lost yesterday to unranked teams and Florida hung 7 on Vandy last night and is hanging tight with them today. 

Texas potentially dropping a couple (to a really good Tech team) doesn't make us a bad team - probably not #3 in the country but there are not 15 teams better than us out there. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Young but talented team loses the first game of a big series to tech and is now only down by 2 with runners on. This series is not over yet and if they do happen to lose the series tomorrow, let’s wait till after the tcu series to fully judge this team. 

Look, I’ve been one of the most critical when in comes to this team and particularly with Pierce but their goal of winning the conference is still attainable. But some of you guys are acting like they just got swept by tech when in reality they still have a chance to win game 2 and obviously game 3. They can drop this series and go to Fort Worth pissed off and win that series, which would leave us winning 2 of the 3 big series. That’s a damn good result from this team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

There’s a pretty big caveat associated to my post, if this team tanks let’s see what changes. This is a different leadership group

What’s tanking? Swept by tech, tcu and lose the series with West Virginia then go 1-2 in whatever regional? Yeah I don’t see that happening. Even losing 2 of 3 to tech and tcu, I still think we’d end up hosting 

Hahaha haven’t even kissed the second game to tech and there’s some small speculation. But yeah keep Tulo at all costs. Our pitchers have developed pretty well under Pierce. Our bats took a step forward in 2017 compared to 2016, but we fucking sucked in 2016 but have been roughly the same since. Roughly. Tulo has been nails 

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

And this. It’s baseball. Shit happens 

Shit our 05 team got swept by Baylor and lost 2 of 3 to Kansas

one win here, and series wins v TCU and WVU and we should be hosting.  lose series to Tech and TCU and I get concerned about NCAA "spreading the love" bullshit.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

one win here, and series wins v TCU and WVU and we should be hosting.  lose series to Tech and TCU and I get concerned about NCAA "spreading the love" bullshit.

Well, let’s take game 3 then sweep the roaches just to be sure 

• Hook 'Em 1