Texas Tech @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

It's a light rain on campus as we speak, nothing that can be played in.  And looks to be saying that way (just based on radar and PhDhorn) for a few hours.  Problem is lightning becomes a real possibility around 4:00p and those perpetual 30-minute delays will take us right into the heavy rains early tonight.  And there's no time to finish a game tomorrow morning and get in the 2nd game at noon.  I'm hoping we can get in 7 and they can call it after that if we're up in the bottom of 7th.  

Looks like TCU/WVU will have perfect baseball weather starting here in a few hours after some WV rain clears out for the whole weekend.  We don't want one of our games deemed incomplete and we're stuck behind TCU by .5 game with zero opportunity to make up that ground.  

This brings to mind a dumb turf question.

I have noticed that our UFCUDFF turf has the pellets in it like football turf does now.  I had thought that those pellets were an aid to determining in or out of bounds, etc.  

But do they serve some other purpose?  Like simulate dirt or add cushion, beyond the "foot drag rooster tail"?  I guess they might help determine if a ball is fair or foul on the ground.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have noticed that our UFCUDFF turf has the pellets in it like football turf does now.  I had thought that those pellets were an aid to determining in or out of bounds, etc.  

But do they serve some other purpose?  Like simulate dirt or add cushion, beyond the "foot drag rooster tail"?  I guess they might help determine if a ball is fair or foul on the ground.

I always thought they were primarily for cushion.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What's the latest you can start a game in the NCAA on a non-travel/weekend night...9:00p? 

The thunder lightning game over here in 78722 is not fucking around.  This thing ain't starting at 3:15p.

Edited by Lobo

we've got a deeper pitching staff so a broken up Friday/Saturday game and/or DH on Sunday favors us obviously. 

Also, my mom is in town to see the grandkids.  Which is nice, been 20 months since her last visit.  And I'll really like a reason not to be at home all day Sunday, a double-header accomplishes this.  I mean, who is looking at this radar and forecast and thinking "Noon on Saturday, that's our best chance."  

Looks like a gap around 4 or 5p, that's "drier", but probllem is lightning is supposed to kick back up again around 7:00p.  We may be able to squeeze in 7inn tonight if they use a restrained definition of "Lightning in the Vicinity."  I'll defer to PhDhorn on Saturday, but every single news outlet has all day from 11:00am-9:00pm at 80-90% chance of heavy thunderstorms.  They won't say anything until late tonight or early Saturday morning, but thing to do would be to patch as much of a game later this afternoon  with maybe 1-2 innings possible tomorrow (doubtful).  And then 11am/2:30pm doubleheader on Sunday.  

Well all our armchair meteorology is paying off.  Been about 10 minutes since last lightning strike and clouds starting to lighten up a bit over here in the 78722.  Maybe 3:30p or so is realisitic.  

Edited by Lobo

21 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I always thought they were primarily for cushion.  

Well, lmgtfm, apparently the initial purpose was to help support the blades and keep them from matting down and to protect the mat from UV exposure..  They do supply some cushion in the original form of recycled crumb rubber, but that can give up toxins as it deteriorates, so other materials are being used that are not resilient (zeolites), and the padding does all the cushioning.

Also, it strikes me that some of the non-rubber materials used could make a form of mud in wet conditions, which is what made me think of this in the first place.

Edited by TwiceHorn

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

(1) they get in cleats and then in my car

(2) they cause cancer

Double win!

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

we've got a deeper pitching staff so a broken up Friday/Saturday game and/or DH on Sunday favors us obviously. 

Also, my mom is in town to see the grandkids.  Which is nice, been 20 months since her last visit.  And I'll really like a reason not to be at home all day Sunday, a double-header accomplishes this.  I mean, who is looking at this radar and forecast and thinking "Noon on Saturday, that's our best chance."  

Looks like a gap around 4 or 5p, that's "drier", but probllem is lightning is supposed to kick back up again around 7:00p.  We may be able to squeeze in 7inn tonight if they use a restrained definition of "Lightning in the Vicinity."  I'll defer to PhDhorn on Saturday, but every single news outlet has all day from 11:00am-9:00pm at 80-90% chance of heavy thunderstorms.  They won't say anything until late tonight or early Saturday morning, but thing to do would be to patch as much of a game later this afternoon  with maybe 1-2 innings possible tomorrow (doubtful).  And then 11am/2:30pm doubleheader on Sunday.  

Well all our armchair meteorology is paying off.  Been about 10 minutes since last lightning strike and clouds starting to lighten up a bit over here in the 78722.  Maybe 3:30p or so is realisitic.  

Rainy Days/NWS radar shows the system moving past with nothing coming for a while.

Clearing up really nicely here in 78722.  Even some sunshine peaking through.  Haven't heard thunder in about  ~40 minutes.  Next wave of storms not due until 9:00p.  Let's do this in 8.5 innings.  No need for extras.  The bar is now open.