Houston Heights - Home Addition

Anyone have any experience adding on to an older pier and beam house in the heights or anywhere else?

Just purchased an older place in Norhill Heights. Decent sq. Footage for now, but curious about the potential for the future. It’s an oversized lot, so even with the addition, the home would still have a good yard.

I know construction pricing is through the roof right now, but curious on past experiences / costs?

Would look to add larger family room down stairs, move laundry room / create a mud room, then add 2 bedrooms and 1-2 bathrooms above the family room and garage.

Anyone have experience dealing with historical associations? Have heard they can be a problem on approving plans, but just walking around the neighborhood, multiple homes have expanded beyond what the guidelines say are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, ScooterHTX said:

Anyone have any experience adding on to an older pier and beam house in the heights or anywhere else?

Just purchased an older place in Norhill Heights. Decent sq. Footage for now, but curious about the potential for the future. It’s an oversized lot, so even with the addition, the home would still have a good yard.

I know construction pricing is through the roof right now, but curious on past experiences / costs?

Would look to add larger family room down stairs, move laundry room / create a mud room, then add 2 bedrooms and 1-2 bathrooms above the family room and garage.

Anyone have experience dealing with historical associations? Have heard they can be a problem on approving plans, but just walking around the neighborhood, multiple homes have expanded beyond what the guidelines say are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll dm you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ha,  looking at the same thing, but in Galveston. Adding bedroom, office, porch, and new master bathroom to a house built in the 1800s. Architect drew up the plans and now we are just waiting for landmark approval.  Pretty sure im going to push back actual construction till November in hopes of lumber pricing getting reasonable. Plus construction during Hurricane season seems like a bad idea 

15 minutes ago, Xian said:

Ha,  looking at the same thing, but in Galveston. Adding bedroom, office, porch, and new master bathroom to a house built in the 1800s. Architect drew up the plans and now we are just waiting for landmark approval.  Pretty sure im going to push back actual construction till November in hopes of lumber pricing getting reasonable. Plus construction during Hurricane season seems like a bad idea 

Lumber prices won't go down until demand goes down. It'll be at least a year if not more after covid.