Margaret McDermott, Texas "Ex", Passes at 106

TwiceHorn

Mrs. McDermott, the widow of Texas Instruments founder Eugene McDermott, and 1930s non graduate of Texas and Distinguished Alumna.

https://www.dallasnews.com/obituaries/obituaries/2018/05/03/margaret-mcdermott-philanthropic-giant-whose-work-beautified-dallas-dies-106

Although she and her husband were extremely wealthy and thus extremely philanthropic, she was mostly low profile.  I doubt many have even heard of her but for the bridge.

Despite her wealth and privilege, she was by all accounts a really nice lady.  RIP.

Well, she was 5 when the Armistice was signed. So it's easily possible, just as it was for Mrs. McDermott (who apparently was one year older).

Mrs. Brat's other aunt's father served with Terry's Texas Rangers in the Uncivil War. That aunt was born in Lampasas just after the turn of the Century.

Full disclosure.  My Dad worked for TI for 29 years.  He was a senior executive, but outside of the "c-suite," but dealt with them regularly over the years.  The McDermotts, mostly the Mrs. as Eugene died in 1973, frequently invited people from TI to various parties and functions, particularly a Fourth of July party on their property in Allen (McDermott Road up there is named for them).  These weren't fancy society "shindigs," just regular, if large, parties, very down to earth and Mrs. McDermott always remembered "little people" and their children, saying hello and talking to the kiddos.  So I actually have memories of a very nice grandmotherly lady that treated virtual strangers much as family.