Tracing unknown phone number calls?

Sometimes we get odd phone numbers on our caller ID that are not labeled “Spam Risk”.... and would like to find out who it is listed under it. Trying to Google the number always leads to a bunch of shitty sites that require registration to search for the info.

Is there a reliable site that I could just type in the number without registering or subscribing just to find out who called?

Forget it, they are likely spoofed numbers anyway...meaning that the number displayed on your caller ID isn't the actual number that they are calling from. 

The other day, I had some cocksucker call me with some bullshit spam, and the caller ID showed the name and number of my next-door neighbor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Forget it, they are likely spoofed numbers anyway...meaning that the number displayed on your caller ID isn't the actual number that they are calling from. 

The other day, I had some cocksucker call me with some bullshit spam, and the caller ID showed the name and number of my next-door neighbor. 

This.  Not much you can do.  Super damn annoying too.

• Like 1

It's pure bullshit that your service provider can't identify the source phone number so that these motherfuckers can be blocked. I suspect this will change in the near future, because I'm pretty sure they know those source numbers.

Spectrum has NoMoRobo, and blocks some calls - they've told me based on whether that number was dialed by a machine. It may be that they are identifying these source phones by the frequency of usage. Regardless, it works, but you'd think these "spam risk" calls would also be blocked. 

It's really enraging (at least to me) that we've lost control of our phone system. I don't understand why we can't implement security protocols and features to prevent spoofing and make Caller ID actually work as it was intended. I have Nomorobo, but I still get tons of calls from "Paul at US Home Solar" or "We have a special offer for AT&T Customers" or whatever that spoof local numbers and get through the system.

6 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

It's really enraging (at least to me) that we've lost control of our phone system. I don't understand why we can't implement security protocols and features to prevent spoofing and make Caller ID actually work as it was intended. I have Nomorobo, but I still get tons of calls from "Paul at US Home Solar" or "We have a special offer for AT&T Customers" or whatever that spoof local numbers and get through the system.

Exactly. 

Right now, there are seven people in space. But phone companies can't get this under control? Give me a fucking break. 

Lately I have been getting prerecorded voicemails where the "caller" asks for Laura repeatedly while purportedly leaving the message, like I'm supposed to immediately pick up the phone to tell them that nobody named Laura is at this number. 

4 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Anybody else get recorded calls from some bastard preaching fire and brimstone just like some preacher from the 1800s? 

It's like the phone system is Public Access TV from the 90's.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:26 PM, KYHorn said:

^ This. I get calls/text from time to time from people who received calls from me, though I never called them. The spammers just randomly spoofed my number to do their thing.

My buddy last week got one of these who left a "I will find you" if you call again message Liam Neeson style.

If it's coming from the same area code and prefix, it's more than likely a spoof.  If the number isn't one that's in my contacts, then I consider it spam.  I probably have close to a thousand blocked numbers on my phone now. 

This right here.

6 hours ago, You don't know me said:

If it's coming from the same area code and prefix, it's more than likely a spoof.  If the number isn't one that's in my contacts, then I consider it spam.  I probably have close to a thousand blocked numbers on my phone now. 

I no longer live in the area code that my phone number is associated with, so anything from there I just ignore. There used to be a really handy open-source app that allowed me to block entire swaths of the area code using a * wildcard (it was a fun exercise figuring out how to block nearly every number from that area code except for a few actual people in my contacts) but it quit working a few years ago. 

I still have it installed in the hopes that someone will come breathe life back into it, but alas... 

I've noticed over the last 6 to 12 months they are leaning away from the prefix and just going area code, possibly because of just what you are mentioning.

But yea, my extended warranty was expired and just in the nick of time I renewed it to save thousands of dollars in repairs.

The only calls i answer are calls from my contacts.

Seems like I remember reading years ago that if you answer a spam call, then the robo-caller knows its an actual number, and that info eventually gets sold to other spammers, which means more spam calls. If you don't answer, even if it goes to voice-mail, the caller will not know its an actual number.

So, the best way to reduce spam calls is to never answer spam calls.