RHCP sell catalog $140 million

I am laughing my ass over teakettle at the idea of Anthony Kiedis making a shit-ton more money as a "musician".  Jesus.

Regarding "six figures a pop", yeah.  I know for a fact Spoon banked $300K for a tune maybe 15 years ago, and they weren't exactly household names then.  Big ad, but still . . .

There’s a fuck ton of money in licensing.  I was reading an article the other day about how 90s shows that didn’t nail down Permanent licensing now are having to overdub generic music because the licensing is so expensive.  They cited Abba as being particularly expensive to license.  It’s why WKRP for years was basically unavailable because the rights had expired. 

Also, the Chili peppers suck.  

Edited by Bateshorn
1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

There’s a fuck ton of money in licensing.  I was reading an article the other day about how 90s shows that didn’t nail down Permanent licensing now are having to overdub generic music because the licensing is so expensive.  They cited Abba as being particularly expensive to license.

Schmitts Gay is a good example. The original skit was set to Beautiful Girls. The rebroadcasts since are set to some generic rock guitar riff. VH made the skit, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 3
11 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

There’s a fuck ton of money in licensing.  I was reading an article the other day about how 90s shows that didn’t nail down Permanent licensing now are having to overdub generic music because the licensing is so expensive.  They cited Abba as being particularly expensive to license.  It’s why WKRP for years was basically unavailable because the rights had expired. 

..so much this.

24 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

That seems like the kind of deal that gets a lot of C-suite level employees canned. Unless I'm overlooking just how many retailers are gonna pay to have "give it away, give it away, give it away now" play during their ads for doorbuster sales.

And Tom Petty's estate makes even more money from "Dani California".

Edited by Deej
I am laughing my ass over teakettle at the idea of Anthony Kiedis making a shit-ton more money as a "musician".  Jesus.
Regarding "six figures a pop", yeah.  I know for a fact Spoon banked $300K for a tune maybe 15 years ago, and they weren't exactly household names then.  Big ad, but still . . .

I wouldn’t say I hate RHCP but I do dislike them very much. Pepper Theft, however, I like very much.

Don’t they make money every time somebody streams a song of theirs on Spotify or Apple Music or Pandora? That shit adds up. Still, $140M seems like a lot.
8 hours ago, C-Man said:

I wouldn’t say I hate RHCP but I do dislike them very much. Pepper Theft, however, I like very much.

Don’t they make money every time somebody streams a song of theirs on Spotify or Apple Music or Pandora? That shit adds up. Still, $140M seems like a lot.

The money from streaming is negligible.  Jason Isbell has talked about how laughably small his spotify checks are.

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The money from streaming is negligible.  Jason Isbell has talked about how laughably small his spotify checks are.

David Lowery (Camper Van, Cracker) is an Ed. D. and professor of music business at UGA.  He used to have a blog discussing problems with royalties, etc.  Looks like it's a community blog now.  https://thetrichordist.com/

Huh.  I didn't know Lowery had completed his doctorate.  We used to message back and forth about stock options, he's very fascinated by that world (and just as battle-hardened as I am, he probably stopped "trading" them (losing money on them) about when I did).