The CIA's new recruitment ad [lol]

lmao

It continues to amaze me why seeing inclusion highlighted is such a revolting concept to some. I know whenever I see someone complain about something being "woke", that is more a sign they're upset that non-white people are actually being highlighted in something. How dare you be made to feel like you are on the outside of something for once. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It continues to amaze me why seeing inclusion highlighted is such a revolting concept to some. I know whenever I see someone complain about something being "woke", that is more a sign they're upset that non-white people are actually being highlighted in something. How dare you be made to feel like you are on the outside of something for once. 

i don't think diversity and inclusion is supposed to stretch to stripper heels.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

I think her child of immigrants story is inspirational.  Her sense of pride and patriotic duty is palpable.  CIA needs more like her. 

However, if somebody had moderate-to-severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder...the fucking last place ever they should go work is CIA.  

What the fuck was her doctor thinking?  I guess the idea is that if she can handle the workload, so can the rest of us?  I guess?  That was the only part that didn't make sense.  

30 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It continues to amaze me why seeing inclusion highlighted is such a revolting concept to some.

I'm sure there are some for whom the idea of diversity is revolting, but... this seems to be more about the CIA attempting to humanize itself. THAT is revolting no matter how they are trying to do it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think her child of immigrants story is inspirational.  Her sense of pride and patriotic duty is palpable.  CIA needs more like her. 

However, if somebody had moderate-to-severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder...the fucking last place ever they should go work is CIA.  

What the fuck was her doctor thinking?  I guess the idea is that if she can handle the workload, so can the rest of us?  I guess?  That was the only part that didn't make sense.  

I dunno, depends on her role. If she's holed up in her apartment behind her computer sifting through intelligence data or stopping incoming cyber threats, then who the fuck cares if she has GAD. She is probably as or more capable of doing that job than many, many others.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm sure there are some for whom the idea of diversity is revolting, but... this seems to be more about the CIA attempting to humanize itself. THAT is revolting no matter how they are trying to do it.

is there any government agency you don't shit on?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, lmao said:

This is amazing. One of the few times where everyone regardless of where you are on political autism spectrum is laughing:

I am going to ask this question because I am actually wanting to hear your thoughts. Why did you write what I bolded? Do you find autism itself to be humorous enough in your construct of the world that including the word in regards to a political spectrum made you laugh? If you are going to say something like that it's best to explain your rationale. I well tell you up front that I look at what you wrote and it comes across as humorless and demeaning to people who are autistic. It's akin to people who still use the R word on here because they think it's clever to say it or they just want to be politically incorrect to own the libs. Even with that said I still want to hear your thoughts so please share them.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I dunno, depends on her role. If she's holed up in her apartment behind her computer sifting through intelligence data or stopping incoming cyber threats, then who the fuck cares if she has GAD. She is probably as or more capable of doing that job than many, many others.

This.

Is everyone's opinion of the CIA based on movies and TV?  There's plenty of nerds doing computer shit that can do the job with GAD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This.

Is everyone's opinion of the CIA based on movies and TV?  There's plenty of nerds doing computer shit that can do the job with GAD. 

I'll bet if you asked the questions to Americans the majority would say that CIA agents wake up and go find someone to shoot and that their job is like living in the wild west. Most of the people holding jobs with the agency will never do anything even close to that.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

is there any government agency you don't shit on?

Look, we should not have foreign intelligence analysts or spies. We should just ask other countries and terrorists what they are doing nicely, I am sure they will tell us and follow our example. Gentlemen don’t read other people’s mail, I believe the saying goes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

This is one of those things that is catnip to idiots, but makes a lot of sense for those actually trying to do the recruiting.  The cold truth is that the national security community has for years had a well earned reputation for treating lots of people who are brown, who spoke a different language at home, who slept with the same sex, who received mental health care, etc. as undesirables and likely security risks.  But the fact is that America is changing, mental health care is not as stigmatized, and you are shrinking your applicant and talent pool needlessly and hurting the organization with that rep.  You are not going to attract the best of the best, the most intelligent people if your pitch is still stuck in The Good Shepard era. 

I also think this upsets people because a huge chunk of America finds comfort in believing that although the country might be changing, “they” are still not accepted in places like the CIA. It’s disturbing to some people to consider that “they“ are in those roles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You are aware of all of the death & economic destruction the CIA as committed in Latin America, yes?

27 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Ah yes, because doctors are the ones who dictate someone's career.

5 minutes ago, lmao said:

You are aware of all of the death & economic destruction the CIA as committed in Latin America, yes?

anyone with half a brain (which might be less than half this site) knows this shit. no one here is defending the CIA's bullshit. that's not the topic. the topic is their current recruiting methods. and the OP left a popcorn fart of a topic for all of us to comment on. we're currently wading through the cloud and trying to find a breath of fresh air

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Who gives a fuck about government officials?

everyone. everyone should care. we should hold our elected officials and their designees to the highest possible standard. instead we settle for mediocrity - every fucking time. or is that not the answer you were looking for

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Some folks build a case. For others:

image.jpeg.30babbc68232ce2c8457afafe4d66fd1.jpeg

is this directed at me? lol. afaik I have never made a comment about the CIA on this site or its predecessors. but keep fucking that chicken, I guess

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

You asked a question. B_t made an assertion. Only one bears a burden.

so you glommed onto an incorrect assertion and now your boots are dug in? I don't get it. Seems like you're way more of a b_t defender than I am a CIA defender. Or is b_t your sock? You stroking yourself there, b_t?

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

everyone. everyone should care. we should hold our elected officials and their designees to the highest possible standard. instead we settle for mediocrity - every fucking time. or is that not the answer you were looking for

I didn't know I voted for this woman.

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

anyone with half a brain (which might be less than half this site) knows this shit. no one here is defending the CIA's bullshit. that's not the topic. the topic is their current recruiting methods. and the OP left a popcorn fart of a topic for all of us to comment on. we're currently wading through the cloud and trying to find a breath of fresh air

Thought it was interesting it's being universally lambasted on Twitter, particular from the progressive leaning left. This board seems to lean Bluedog Dem/Center-right. My apologies. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, lmao said:

Thought it was interesting it's being universally lambasted on Twitter, particular from the progressive leaning left. This board seems to lean Bluedog Dem/Center-right. My apologies. 

really? please cite sources. the only person I have seen attack this on Twitter is our dipshit canadian senator. This you, Senator Cruz?

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is one of those things that is catnip to idiots, but makes a lot of sense for those actually trying to do the recruiting.  The cold truth is that the national security community has for years had a well earned reputation for treating lots of people who are brown, who spoke a different language at home, who slept with the same sex, who received mental health care, etc. as undesirables and likely security risks.  But the fact is that America is changing, mental health care is not as stigmatized, and you are shrinking your applicant and talent pool needlessly and hurting the organization with that rep.  You are not going to attract the best of the best, the most intelligent people if your pitch is still stuck in The Good Shepard era. 

I also think this upsets people because a huge chunk of America finds comfort in believing that although the country might be changing, “they” are still not accepted in places like the CIA. It’s disturbing to some people to consider that “they“ are in those roles. 

Thank you for posting this. I believe that society as a whole is beginning to understand the mental health crisis our country is in and we are now starting to see it addressed in a more public manner. The CIA is trying to change the reputation it is on not being really all that inclusive to the entirety of the population of our nation. This woman sets a good example of what the agency can transform itself into. Showing the ability to care about mental health is a good thing and I am glad they are taking this approach now as well as letting minorities, especially those that are women, that they have a place in the organization and they won't be denied jobs with them like they were in the past. I attempt to see the good in things and this is a good thing. It does not mean everything they do is great, but this is nice.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Thank you for posting this. I believe that society as a whole is beginning to understand the mental health crisis our country is in and we are now starting to see it addressed in a more public manner. The CIA is trying to change the reputation it is on not being really all that inclusive to the entirety of the population of our nation. This woman sets a good example of what the agency can transform itself into. Showing the ability to care about mental health is a good thing and I am glad they are taking this approach now as well as letting minorities, especially those that are women, that they have a place in the organization and they won't be denied jobs with them like they were in the past. I attempt to see the good in things and this is a good thing. It does not mean everything they do is great, but this is nice.

Yep, it’s to no one’s benefit to treat mental health as something different than just “health.” None of this stuff is secret, the internet and court system is littered with cases of people who went to get mental health treatment and lost their jobs. And it’s littered with people who never got treatment, because you could have a slow or fast mental breakdown with no treatment and no consequences to your career. If you were never treated and diagnosed, there was no one you had to tell about it. What is more dangerous to security, someone who sees they need help and manages it or someone who tries to cope without it because they’re afraid for their livelihood? 

Of course, that’s not to say there aren’t health conditions— mental and otherwise— that would prevent you from doing these jobs. The solution is to listen to doctors, encourage treatment, and not look at mental health issues with black and white lenses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, lmao said:

Thought it was interesting it's being universally lambasted on Twitter, particular from the progressive leaning left.

Bullshit.  It's being ridiculed by people like Pompeo, Cruz, Don Jr, OAN and Pobeseic.  Cruz's criticism, like always, was then universally lambasted on Twitter.

"CIA woke" is trending.  I wonder which side is using the term "woke?"  

https://twitter.com/search?q=cia woke&src=typeahead_click

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 3

the grand irony in all of this is that most people laughing at this ad are the same ones who espouse 'bootstrap' mentality yet get bent the fuck out of shape if you mention any sort of social welfare. "They should get fucking jobs! Stop being lazy and living off the government teet!!!" *warble garble bullshit* The CIA was like, aight, we might have a place for these people. Oh shit, this works, let's expand our reach! "Omg, look at these libruhl pussies giving 'those people' jobs!!" We're doomed!"

Fuck you, you can't have it both ways. If you're one of the ones laughing at that ad, you should really ask yourself why. What are you actually laughing at? Is it actually funny? Or are you just an entitled asshole and when you see depictions of people 'beneath' you it makes you mad and feel inferior and you therefore put on your bully pants and see if you can rally some other bullies behind you? Please, explain to me why it's funny. I'm happy to be converted. I love a good laugh.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

the grand irony in all of this is that most people laughing at this ad are the same ones who espouse 'bootstrap' mentality yet get bent the fuck out of shape if you mention any sort of social welfare. "They should get fucking jobs! Stop being lazy and living off the government teet!!!" *warble garble bullshit* The CIA was like, aight, we might have a place for these people. Oh shit, this works, let's expand our reach! "Omg, look at those libruhl pussies giving 'those people' jobs!!" We're doomed!"

Fuck you, you can't have it both ways. If you're one of the ones laughing at that ad, you should really ask yourself why. What are you actually laughing at? Is it actually funny? Or are you just an entitled asshole and when you see depictions of people 'beneath' you it makes you mad and feel inferior and you therefore put on your bully pants and see if you can rally some other bullies behind you? Please, explain to me why it's funny. I'm happy to be converted. I love a good laugh.

I'm laughing because I could never imagine the CCP or Russia putting something together like this to encourage new recruits.  Your identity shouldn't matter when it comes to the CIA.  You have no identity.

I'll say it again... China and Russia are going to destroy us in a decade.  We have devolved into a very weak society. 

• Fuck You 5
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

the next decade.

Where you been the last half decade?

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

What are you actually laughing at? 

The shop talk, I think. New words over which to puzzle.

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

Just now, Run Run Run Punt said:

By destroy, I mean I won't be surprised to see Russian or CCP tanks rolling down Main Street. 

you see? this is how I know you're not a serious person/poster. you really think in a decade from now tanks will be rolling down streets anywhere? ell-oh-fucking-ell. that's so 1940's,

10 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

By destroy, I mean I won't be surprised to see Russian or CCP tanks rolling down Main Street. 

This is literally never going to happen.  Your weird Red Dawn fantasy is noted. 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 2

Guest Lobo
53 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Ah yes, because doctors are the ones who dictate someone's career.

Uh, if you don't think CIA takes your medical file and the opinion of your doctors real fucking serious when deciding on where to put you to work inside the Agency...you're out of your fucking mind.  I did just a few months work with a National Laboratory a few years back and we had liaisons attached from DOE, CIA, and DOD.  And I've been background checked before many times by FBI, but these people went through every doctor I've had since I was 18.  I don't know if my actual or digital proctology exam was more invasive.  

I'm being snarky but you really don't think doctors dictate to some extent what someone's career can be at CIA?  You really think they just take you at your word that you're in good enough health for field work, or mentally capable of handling graphic violence, or stable enough to not be compromised as an officer by foreign actors.  You honestly don't think doctors are questioned about case officers' mental fortitude and physical well-being before they are given assignments/promotions?  Once you're in at Langley, you can just float up the career ladder based on your team building exercise trust fall?  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you see? this is how I know you're not a serious person/poster. you really think in a decade from now tanks will be rolling down streets anywhere? ell-oh-fucking-ell. that's so 1940's,

That's because you are thinking old-school, as if they will need transport ships and human crew. What will happen is, the Chicoms will sell us big 3D printers, we'll happily install them everywhere, then one day while we are all watching memes, they will all turn on AT ONCE and each print out an auto-driving TANK, sure it's got light armor that'd barely stop a .22, but the traitor Demoncrats took away all the .22s, plus they have forced a generation to have FEELINGS, and you can't improvise a satchel charge when you've got FEELINGS, can you, Bucko?

This is so obvious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8