The CIA's new recruitment ad [lol]

lmao

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you see? this is how I know you're not a serious person/poster. you really think in a decade from now tanks will be rolling down streets anywhere? ell-oh-fucking-ell. that's so 1940's,

This is actually an interesting topic, unlike this thread. With a global economy and all of the interconnected systems that go along with it, is there really any reason for anyone to have territorial ambitions at this point?  I suppose when we start killing each other for water maybe. 

7 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you see? this is how I know you're not a serious person/poster. you really think in a decade from now tanks will be rolling down streets anywhere? ell-oh-fucking-ell. that's so 1940's,

Based on what I've seen in the last decade, I think it is entirely possible for us to destroy this nation from within and allow for our enemies to invade. Why not?  Got to dream big!

• Fuck You 3

35 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Thank you for posting this. I believe that society as a whole is beginning to understand the mental health crisis our country is in and we are now starting to see it addressed in a more public manner. The CIA is trying to change the reputation it is on not being really all that inclusive to the entirety of the population of our nation. This woman sets a good example of what the agency can transform itself into. Showing the ability to care about mental health is a good thing and I am glad they are taking this approach now as well as letting minorities, especially those that are women, that they have a place in the organization and they won't be denied jobs with them like they were in the past. I attempt to see the good in things and this is a good thing. It does not mean everything they do is great, but this is nice.

It's a hard sell that the organization that runs secret torture prisons and coups in brown countries all over the world cares about mental health. Pictured in that ad was Trump backed Gina Haspel, a woman who ran said secret torture prisons amongst other things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/us/politics/gina-haspel-cia-director-nominee-trump-torture-waterboarding.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Your exact quote

What the fuck was her doctor thinking? 

At what point did the doctor in this situation not provide the diagnosis of GAD? More often than not my patient's attempt to keep their records as sealed as possible. The idea that the doctor in this situation didn't want to put a diagnosis in a patient's chart to help with career aspirations is asinine. 

Edited by MoJames

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

That's because you are thinking old-school, as if they will need transport ships and human crew. What will happen is, the Chicoms will sell us big 3D printers, we'll happily install them everywhere, then one day while we are all watching memes, they will all turn on AT ONCE and each print out an auto-driving TANK, sure it's got light armor that'd barely stop a .22, but the traitor Demoncrats took away all the .22s, plus they have forced a generation to have FEELINGS, and you can't improvise a satchel charge when you've got FEELINGS, can you, Bucko?

This is so obvious.

pretty sure you're my favorite poster on here. you wanna make out?

1 minute ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Based on what I've seen in the last decade, I think it is entirely possible for us to destroy this nation from within and allow for our enemies to invade. Why not?  Got to dream big!

You missed my point. I was not attacking the premise, but the method. In 10 years no one will need to go anywhere to invade anyone else - at least not those countries we should be worried about. They sure as shit won't be sending fucking tanks. Lol. 

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is actually an interesting topic, unlike this thread. With a global economy and all of the interconnected systems that go along with it, is there really any reason for anyone to have territorial ambitions at this point?  I suppose when we start killing each other for water maybe. 

Again, not actually my point, but the way you interpreted is indeed a good topic for discussion. Modern warfare will not be fought eye-to-eye. Those days are gone. Maybe if you're a couple shithole countries* going at it and you have one tank [sic] and they got like, one sub, but it sank.... I dunno how it this goes. But anyway, if we (read: our military) is worried about tanks then we have already lost.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm sure there are some for whom the idea of diversity is revolting, but... this seems to be more about the CIA attempting to humanize itself. THAT is revolting no matter how they are trying to do it.

You see that. I see that. There's no way OP sees that. He posted it precisely for the reasons I wrote. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

not in the least. but it is remarkable how you seemingly have nothing but vitriol for every element of government. just interesting, I guess.

false

I like the parts of government that help people who need help. I like the post office, VA, medicare/medicaid, etc...

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

However, if somebody had moderate-to-severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder...the fucking last place ever they should go work is CIA.  

Stop for a moment and reflect on this assertion. 

Anxiety has silver linings that work well in an analyst position. Consider:

Spoiler

Positive Effects

These symptoms of anxiety are a common problem for people who have been diagnosed with any type of anxiety disorder, including panic disorder. However, have you ever considered some of the possible positive effects that may come with having anxiety?

Scientists have learned that some degree of stress or anxiety isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Good stress, something now referred to now as eustress, keeps us motivated and excited about life. It appears that some degree of anxiety may have similar "silver linings." Let's take a look at what they've been learning.

• Anxiety as a Warning Sign
    • Anxiety may be just the warning sign you need to bring awareness to your current situation and make some necessary changes in your life. Recurrent worry and nervousness can be an indication that some areas of your life are off track and need adjusting.
    • For example, you may find that you have a relationship that is no longer working, perhaps your job is causing a great deal of stress, or maybe financial issues have you losing sleep and feeling anxious.

Anxiety as Motivation

• Rather than always being considered a hindrance, anxiety may actually help you feel more motivated and prepared when faced with challenges.
    • Research has shown that students and athletes who experienced some anxiety actually displayed improved performance on tests or while participating in competitive sports.
    • Likewise, some degree of anxiety in those who have a good working memory may actually enhance performance on cognitive tests.

Built-In Warning System

• Even though it may seem useless at times, there is a purpose for anxiety.
  • These feelings and symptoms are a part of our innate way of dealing with stress. Known as the fight-or-flight response, anxiety is meant to protect us from danger and allow us to react faster to emergencies.
  • When it came to our ancestors, the fight-or-flight stress response prepared humans to either attack back or flee from a life-threatening risk in the environment, such as a dangerous animal or climate condition.
  • In modern times, anxiety may be a symptom that helps you to quickly react to avoid an accident while driving a car or prevent you from entering an unsafe place or circumstance.

In Leadership

• People with anxiety may also be skilled in leadership roles, as they take careful consideration of the possibility of multiple outcomes. For instance, many individuals with anxiety describe it as are highly aware of what can potentially go wrong, making them more cautious thinkers, careful decision-makers, and great problem-solvers.

Sources: 

Parker KN, Ragsdale JM. Effects of Distress and Eustress on Changes in Fatigue from Waking to Working. Appl Psychol Health Well Being. 2015;7(3):293–315. doi:10.1111/aphw.12049

Hardy L, Hutchinson A. Effects of performance anxiety on effort and performance in rock climbing: a test of processing efficiency theory. Anxiety Stress Coping. 2007;20(2):147–161. doi:10.1080/10615800701217035

Owens M, Stevenson J, Hadwin JA, Norgate R. When does anxiety help or hinder cognitive test performance? The role of working memory capacity. Br J Psychol. 2014;105(1):92–101. doi:10.1111/bjop.12009

Lee WE, Wadsworth ME, Hotopf M. The protective role of trait anxiety: a longitudinal cohort study. Psychol Med. 2006;36(3):345–351. doi:10.1017/S0033291705006847

Tibi-Elhanany Y, Shamay-Tsoory SG. Social cognition in social anxiety: first evidence for increased empathic abilities. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2011;48(2):98–106. PMID:22120444

Additional Reading

Lee, W., Wadsworth, M., and M. Hotopf. The Protective Role of Trait Anxiety.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

He posted it precisely for the reasons I wrote. 

No. I posted it for the obv irony in a org like the fucking CIA making that ad. Who is taking this literally and actually is mad at the CIA being diverse outside of alt-right Tucker fuckwits?

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

All depends on what she does as an officer.  Obviously CIA knows more than you or I about what she should be doing, or not doing.  I just thought it was curious because it sounded like she was recruited at 17.  They do that because people between 18-25 don't have the portion of their brain developed yet to evaluate risk properly.  CIA specifically recruits them outta high school for this very reason, not to be overly cautious.  Anyway, sounds like she's in the right place at the right job.  I found the story great and posted as such above.  They obviously didn't put that part in about her by accident.  

My only real point was that everything medically about a candidate is scrubbed (physical and mental) by CIA before they decide how to use you.  Doctors do actually dictate a lot at Langley, for better or worse.  I just thought if she had GAD, she would have picked a different line of work.  But I'm guessing she didn't find out about her GAD until after she had already been there awhile and they were evaluating her for a promotion to case officer.  My little stint for a National Lab project, I found out all kinda weird shit about myself.  Good news though, is I am not a sociopath.  But then, maybe they're just telling me that.  

3 minutes ago, lmao said:

No. I posted it for the obv irony in a org like the fucking CIA making that ad. Who is taking this literally and actually is mad at the CIA being diverse outside of alt-right Tucker fuckwits?

Well my apologies then. I read you as the usual video posting concern trolls. 

46 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

I'm laughing because I could never imagine the CCP or Russia putting something together like this to encourage new recruits.  Your identity shouldn't matter when it comes to the CIA.  You have no identity.

I'll say it again... China and Russia are going to destroy us in a decade.  We have devolved into a very weak society. 

Trolls are bad.  Dumb trolls with dumb takes are even worse.  "Your identity shouldn't matter when it comes to the CIA.  You have no identity."

It's hard to imagine a dumber take when discussing an intelligence agency.  90% or more of CIA personnel are not field operatives who need icewater coursing through their veins as they approach the dead drop but also dodge the spy tailing them, then run from the dead drop to a plane already taxiing down the runway, shooting at their pursuer as they jump into the wheel well.

Nope.  Most of them are.....analysts and such.  And when you are analyzing issues arising in different countries, among different cultures, ethnicities, and personality types, you know what helps you understand those issues best?  People who can understand those issues, often by relating to them.  Want to understand the latest unrest in Mexico?  You'd probably be wise to consult someone with connections to Mexico.  Someone reading chatter, who can pick up on the subtle meanings in between literal phrasing, is huge in intelligence (vs. Mexico, Syria, Germany, or wherever).  Want to understand the latest collective paranoid delusion motivating the people of the Republic of Whateveristan?  People who can understand and relate to such feelings can be helpful.  Diversity of perspectives is perhaps more important in an intel agency than in any other entity in the world.

Analysts sure as FUCK have an identity.  They're the person working the Latin America desk, or the Arabian Peninsula desk, etc.  Diverse perspectives fucking matter.  They help you get an accurate read on the raw intelligence available to you.  If everyone working every desk was Bif Johnson, white boy from Yale, our final intel would suck.  And yeah, if everyone working every desk was Jorge from McAllen, our final intel would suck.

Goddamn the fucking trolls around here are fucking simpering morons.  Fucking pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lmao said:

It's a hard sell that the organization that runs secret torture prisons and coups in brown countries all over the world cares about mental health. Pictured in that ad was Trump backed Gina Haspel, a woman who ran said secret torture prisons amongst other things.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/us/politics/gina-haspel-cia-director-nominee-trump-torture-waterboarding.html

Thanks for responding. However, I asked you a question much earlier in this thread about your bringing autism into this thread and have yet to receive a response from you. Without a response to that question I can only be left to think you found it humorous to make fun of autism and treat it moreso as a punchline than anything else. That is not cool, at all, to do that. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Are you like Ted Cruz and think everyone who works there is Jason Bourne? 

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I'll bet if you asked the questions to Americans the majority would say that CIA agents wake up and go find someone to shoot and that their job is like living in the wild west. Most of the people holding jobs with the agency will never do anything even close to that.

That's the absolute truth.

The actual paramilitary/special activities part of the agency, people who actually go do shit where their lives are in danger, is incredibly small, and it's recruited from the ranks of US Army Rangers, Special Forces, Delta, Navy SEALs, Air Force PJs, and those are all small communities themselves.

None of the people in that video are going to make it through RASP, Q Course, BUDs, AF PJ selection, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmao said:

Well, for one, this dumbass below said that the "progressive leaning left" (in particular) was "lambasting" it:

2 hours ago, lmao said:

Thought it was interesting it's being universally lambasted on Twitter, particular from the progressive leaning left. This board seems to lean Bluedog Dem/Center-right. My apologies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

In today's modern CIA, even the female child of immigrants with GAD and two kids can help overthrow popularly elected governments in Latin America and run black ops torture sites in the Middle East.

Quality gripe.

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

All CIA undercover operatives need to be white men from Yale. Anyone who disagrees is a woke ********. 

Princeton and Dartmouth would do nicely, as well.  Harvard in a pinch.  Of course, Donovan was a dirty catlick from Columbia, but . . . .

I actually saw this after Trumpism started to accelerate.

Chilling.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Do you think it will because of the not quite half of the country who is positive to lukewarm on overthrowing the government, or because of the trans dba at the intelligence agency?

5 hours ago, lmao said:

You are aware of all of the death & economic destruction the CIA as committed in Latin America, yes?

Does including the people the CIA included in this advertisement impact the death and destruction the CIA has committed in Latin America in any way, shape or form?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Keep trying!  You'll type something worthwhile sooner or later!

What does her and elected officials have anything to do with each other

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

everyone. everyone should care. we should hold our elected officials and their designees to the highest possible standard. instead we settle for mediocrity - every fucking time. or is that not the answer you were looking for

Quite a few on this site seem to be unaware that there is a huge amount of criticism coming from the left at the mainstream of the Dem party for their use of identity politics as a salve to cover all evils. Torturing brown people and overthrowing their democratically elected governments? Look how intersectional these CIA agents are! How dare you prioritize breaking up the big banks over ending racism! Or sexism! 

So on here, to criticize woke-ism is to be a racist asshole who wants to polish Ted Cruz's knob. Both parties are full of shit about it; the Dems use it to paper over financial and military wrongdoing and the Repubs wield it as a grievance for their butthurt white boys to perpetually be aggrieved over. 

Criticizing both parties for politicizing what should be simply basic human decency is valid. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure he's referring to this and however inconvient it may be there is some truth to it. Although Tucker doesn't actually gaf if we bomb brown countries or not he's just using left wing criticisms as a tool to concern troll.

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984_s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_2a3e7014-862a-48b6-b0e8-94afe8a67ad8_1527x734.thumb.jpeg.ace9ec1589c3064ee3c2dea0ae779c24.jpeg

Edited by lmao
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

👀

🙄

I had to take a test with this code/pattern bullshit on it for a job once.   Pretty sure I got a fucking N/A on that portion, still got the job tho.  I remember a few years later some Tucker Carlson looking Dutch fucker comes in and shoots up the ladder.   Real cocksucker.  Apparently he got a perfect score on all sections.  He made VP right about the time I left.  Anyhow, I’m not good at cracking codes.  

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Quite a few on this site seem to be unaware that there is a huge amount of criticism coming from the left at the mainstream of the Dem party for their use of identity politics as a salve to cover all evils. Torturing brown people and overthrowing their democratically elected governments? Look how intersectional these CIA agents are! How dare you prioritize breaking up the big banks over ending racism! Or sexism! 

So on here, to criticize woke-ism is to be a racist asshole who wants to polish Ted Cruz's knob. Both parties are full of shit about it; the Dems use it to paper over financial and military wrongdoing and the Repubs wield it as a grievance for their butthurt white boys to perpetually be aggrieved over. 

Criticizing both parties for politicizing what should be simply basic human decency is valid. 

It's so bizarre to get criticized for holding left wing positions under the Biden Administration. "Hey we shouldn't be bombing Syria" or "Biden shouldn't fire his staffers for using legal marijuana"

Trump sympathizer!! Berniebro!1!

Like what in the fuck is going on?

Edited by lmao
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, lmao said:

It's so bizarre to get criticized for holding left wing positions under the Biden Administration. "Hey we shouldn't be bombing Syria" or "Biden shouldn't fire his staffers for using legal marijuana"

Trump sympathizer!! Berniebro!1!

Like what in the fuck is going on?

I dunno, you started this shit

i don't think diversity and inclusion is supposed to stretch to stripper heels.
Ahh yes let's bitch when they refuse to dress up, and when they dress up but sexually reject you. It's almost like dress code norms are for puritanical sexual gratification.

Nothing wrong with the video. Just a women who should be proud of her work

33 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I had to take a test with this code/pattern bullshit on it for a job once.   Pretty sure I got a fucking N/A on that portion, still got the job tho.  I remember a few years later some Tucker Carlson looking Dutch fucker comes in and shoots up the ladder.   Real cocksucker.  Apparently he got a perfect score on all sections.  He made VP right about the time I left.  Anyhow, I’m not good at cracking codes.  

I have no idea how those "hints" even help.

Land and political capitol at the lower lattitudes. We already lost the war friendo. China laughs at our "big" ideas. Go explore outside while it's still fucking there

49 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

That wasn't nearly as bad as what it has been hyped up to be. Not sure how much it had to do with the CIA. Could have been a 25 second statement of inclusivity and had more effect. 

They could have accomplished whatever stated goals were met by the video without using a word Vox describes as the most hated word in ‘conservatism.’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-highlight/2019/5/20/18542843/intersectionality-conservatism-law-race-gender-discrimination

Edited by Willfully Horn
Paring
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I have no idea how those "hints" even help.

The hints show you where some key letters fall in a four grid system.  The one that looks like a tic tac toe box are letters A-I.  The one the at looks like tic tac toe with dots are letters J-R.  The X grid is letters S-V, the X grid with dots are letters Y-Z.  Then the grid segment is a graphic stand in for letters.

Then you can figure out the message. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

No one is attempting to salve over all evils through the use of “identity politics.” 

I know that maybe you or Greenwald or Tucker think you have cracked the code, but this is simply an agency attempting to pull in diverse recruits and compose a competent workforce. That agency (along with nearly every other institution) is able to serve their function better with a diverse and competent staff. 

Hold the CIA’s feet to fire on torture but understand the blame mostly lies with the Bush admin who approved those interrogation technique. Hold the Obama admin accountable for not prosecuting. But none of that has anything with the commercial or having a diverse workforce. 

The idea that all the CIA does is torture people is as stupid as the idea that they all drive Aston Martins. 

5 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

They could have accomplished whatever stated goals were met by the video without using a word Vox describes as the most hated word in ‘conservatism.’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/the-highlight/2019/5/20/18542843/intersectionality-conservatism-law-race-gender-discrimination

Seems pretty obvious to me that it was done intentionally to preemptively weed out traitors.

• Haha 2