Unifi Router, POE switch, 3 APs, and a Cloud Key - I lost access to the controller, but internet still works

I'm not sure when I lost access, because this system just keeps cranking out MBPs like crazy.  But now I can't log in and see the dashboard or have any control over it.  

I found out I lost access to the controller when one of my APs was running slow.  I suspected I needed to switch the channel to see if someone was next door was louder than my AP.  I found my password wouldn't work.  I reset a bunch of stuff, but no controllers are found.  Yet everything keeps working.

I can't figure this out, and I'm ready to hire a network nerd to fix it.  While I have a nerd for hire, there's a bunch of other internet tweaking and security stuff I want to do.  

For example, setup different wifi network names for each household member.  That way I can turn off one kids network for punishment.  As kids are getting older I want to have more content control too.  I would also like to know what the hell the Cloud Key is even for, and how to take advantage it's mysterious purpose.

The Cloud Key has a hard reset you can do to regain access to it...

The CK is just a mini-computer for hosting the controller.  It can provide logging of metrics like wifi data over a longer time and remote access.  It's not mandatory, you can run a UniFi setup w/ the controller software on your laptop just fine, you just have to leave that software running to log stuff.  If you're just setting configs every so often you might not need it.

What kind of access controls do you want to put in place? You might want to look at something like a PiHole, it's pretty fine-grained control from a DNS level.  It's not infallible, if your kids are tech enough to hard code their own external DNS server they could bypass it but you can use it for getting rid of ads or blacklisting certain types of sites.

55 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I'm not sure when I lost access, because this system just keeps cranking out MBPs like crazy.  But now I can't log in and see the dashboard or have any control over it.  

I found out I lost access to the controller when one of my APs was running slow.  I suspected I needed to switch the channel to see if someone was next door was louder than my AP.  I found my password wouldn't work.  I reset a bunch of stuff, but no controllers are found.  Yet everything keeps working.

I can't figure this out, and I'm ready to hire a network nerd to fix it.  While I have a nerd for hire, there's a bunch of other internet tweaking and security stuff I want to do.  

For example, setup different wifi network names for each household member.  That way I can turn off one kids network for punishment.  As kids are getting older I want to have more content control too.  I would also like to know what the hell the Cloud Key is even for, and how to take advantage it's mysterious purpose.

Just replace your system with an Eero.  It does everything you want and you don't have to hire a nerd.  It will take about 30 minutes to set it up from start to finish.  It will be a mesh network so you will stay connected no matter where you are.  It allows different profiles to be set up including kids profiles for content filtering.   It will probably cost about as much as hiring a nerd anyway.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not to mention Unifi APs have mesh capability now. No way would I downgrade from UI to Eero.

UI had a large hack not that long ago that resulted in a lot of account passwords getting out, they may have reset your login as a precaution.