Projector TV owners, come on in.

I've got a Mitsu unit in my media room going to a 90ish inch screen (whatever the ratio is).

It's 1080, but during football games I get a hint of ghosting. Nothing big.

Looking at the new laser projectors. Any input for those who may have one? I have read a lot of reviews about how great it is with windows and lighting, but that isn't an issue (no windows). I am more concerned with the quality of picture.

On 5/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

If currently rocking a 90inch, why not an 85inch 4k for 2 grand and call it a day?

Sony X90CH / X900H 85 Inch TV: 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV with HDR, Game Mode for Gaming, and Alexa Compatibility - 2020 Model (Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WR45NKV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FSJ62SD03D2VC5ANZT1G

I have considered going this route also.  I have a 13 year old Epson 720p model that still gets a good picture on a 96 inch screen but not nearly as good as my OLED downstairs.  Biggest pain with the projector is when I don’t want to watch in the dark.   If I turn any light on in the room it definitely fades the picture so maybe going with a regular TV makes sense.  Worried that going down to a 85 or smaller will not have the same “movie theater” affect that I get now.

We've had a 720p Panasonic projector since 2008. I think we're at 88" on the screen. I think I've changed 3-4 bulbs total. I recently changed to a luminescent electrode bulb from Araca and it's like I have a brand new projector. The brightness and color is 10X as good as previous bulbs. We went from needing total darkness to having no issues watching during the day. I think the lumens on this bulb are 3000. I think the previous bulb was maybe 800. The only downside is a little bit of the burn in on the panel is for visible now. We were debating getting a new projector but are going to ride it out for a little bit longer with this bulb. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to my A/V guy this morning, and he said I should stick with a projector since it is already wired in the ceiling, have the nice screen, etc.  He is installing a sony laser projector in a few weeks and said he will bring it to my house before he installs it. He said you absolutely do not need to dim the lights, this particular one is going in a restaurant/bar.