Best College Towns Map

BurntOrange&White

Another example of "wow, offseason sucks."  Too many examples of fail to list, but I will...

1. Handle: BigGameBoomer. Hint number one that it will be garbage.
  2. State College, PA - fail
  3. As noted, Seattle and Austin are not really college towns any more.
  4. Tuscaloosa is infinitely better than Auburn.
  5. Berkeley, CA?  Really?
  6. NC - App.St.  Fail - UNC, NCSU, Duke?  
  7. Ohio over tOSU?  Nope.  tOSU t-shirt fans are morons, but that part of Columbus is pretty decent.

No arguments:

1. Minnesota - big city, but the campus area is great.
  2. Indiana - slightly better than Purdue and Notre Dame, but both are catching up to Bloomington.
  3. West Virginia - no other choices and no one else could read, so who cares

Agree w/ Columbia in NYC, as Manhattan would be great as a college town.  However most 18-22 year olds cannot appreciate Manhattan.  It's more of a 22+ environment.

Edited by boilerhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

So if all the colleges in California, it’s Berkeley?
not San Diego, not LA, not Malibu?
SD, LA, and malibu are certainly not college towns. At all.

To me a college town is a town that hurts a little with local business having lower sales in the summer and Christmas vacation.

Maybe aggy should have their logo on that map to be honest. Tech, sfa, TX state, Sam, etc.

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Guy I grew up with got a full ride to Pepperdine.  No ragrets from him.

My wife went to Pepperdine. I went to half a dozen weddings in Malibu over the last few years which turned into extended vacations. Why she ever left for me? I don’t know. 

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Another example of "wow, offseason sucks."  Too many examples of fail to list, but I will...

2. State College, PA - fail
  3. As noted, Seattle and Austin are not really college towns any more.
  4. Tuscaloosa is infinitely better than Auburn.
  5. Berkeley, CA?  Really?
  6. NC - App.St.  Fail - UNC, NCSU, Duke?  
  7. Ohio over tOSU?  Nope.  tOSU t-shirt fans are morons, but that part of Columbus is pretty decent.

No arguments:

1. Minnesota - big city, but the campus area is great.
  2. Indiana - slightly better than Purdue and Notre Dame, but both are catching up to Bloomington.
  3. West Virginia - no other choices and no one else could read, so who cares

Agree w/ Columbia in NYC, as Manhattan would be great as a college town.  However most 18-22 year olds cannot appreciate Manhattan.  It's more of a 22+ environment.

Red C = Cornell

Blue C = Columbia

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

All the shit from that account is terrible Vic-Mackey-clickbait stuff.  

I thought New Orleans was the most egregious "college town."

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Santa Cruz or Malibu -- either would be fine. 

Fort Collins, Colorado is infinitely better than Boulder BTW. 

Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo or UC Santa Barbara are also in contention.  Your second statement is off the mark though.  Boulder is a better town, more scenic, is closer to everything, and provides access to the mountains in mins.  Cost of living is the only variable in which Fort Colins is better.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Phoenix is not a college town either. Flagstaff is though.

Phoenix is like Denver. A geographically small city surrounded by other cities that make it seem like a bigger city. 

edit. I didn’t finish my thought. Why isn’t there a college in Scottsdale?

Edited by Telegraph_it

Guy I grew up with got a full ride to Pepperdine.  No ragrets from him.
Buddy of mine spent his first two years at Pepperdine...if you're a surfer there is no better school. Dorms are within walking distance of the beach.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One could argue that Austin really isn’t a college town anymore. I think I’d lean San Marcos(Texas State) for Texas. 

There is a reason they still have bus that goes from San Marcos to Austin every Thursday thru Saturday night just like many years ago.   A lot more college bars with cheaper drinks still around and now they hop over to west sixth, Rainey, ect to look for new sugar daddies.  

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

There is a reason they still have bus that goes from San Marcos to Austin every Thursday thru Saturday night just like many years ago.   A lot more college bars with cheaper drinks still around and now they hop over to west sixth, Rainey, ect to look for new sugar daddies.  

Austin isn’t a college town my guy

6 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo or UC Santa Barbara are also in contention.  Your second statement is off the mark though.  Boulder is a better town, more scenic, is closer to everything, and provides access to the mountains in mins.  Cost of living is the only variable in which Fort Colins is better.

Chico also. And Durango.

Athens is the right answer for Ohio.  Agree with Lawrence over Manhattan and Iowa City over Ames.  Clemson should also be the choice for SC over Columbia and Stillwater over Norman for OK.  Those are the only glaring errors.  NC is a tough one due to the growth of the Triangle but I would probably still go Chapel Hill.   

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Where does the designation from "town" to "city" start, in regards to population?  I'd consider anything over 5000 a city, as opposed to a town.

A lot of those are metropolitan populations and should in no way be called towns. 

I think if your team reside in any of the following it can't be considered a college town:

LA

San Francisco

Sacramento

San Diego

San Jose

Seattle

Portland

Phoenix

Las Vegas

Salt Lake City

Denver 

Houston

Dallas/Fort Worth

Austin

San Antonio

Minneapolis

Milwaukee

Chicago

Detroit

Indianappolis

Cincinnatti

Cleveland

New Orleans

Nashville

Atlanta

Miami

Orlando

Tampa Bay

Jacksonville

Charlotte

New York

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Baltimore

Washington

Boston

I think that's a fairly solid list

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've had enough. Big game boomer posts will earn a ban. Stop spreading that guys idiocy. The topics he comes up with aren't bad, but his lists are complete and total garbage. His topics are fine to make threads about,  just don't include his posts.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Where does the designation from "town" to "city" start, in regards to population?  I'd consider anything over 5000 a city, as opposed to a town.

A lot of those are metropolitan populations and should in no way be called towns. 

That's an incredibly low dividing line. Virtually any "college town" with even a liberal arts school is going to be well above it.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think if your team reside in any of the following it can't be considered a college town:

LA

San Francisco

Sacramento

San Diego

San Jose

Seattle

Portland

Phoenix

Las Vegas

Salt Lake City

Denver 

Houston

Dallas/Fort Worth

Austin

San Antonio

Minneapolis

Milwaukee

Chicago

Detroit

Indianappolis

Cincinnatti

Cleveland

New Orleans

Nashville

Atlanta

Miami

Orlando

Tampa Bay

Jacksonville

Charlotte

New York

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Baltimore

Washington

Boston

I think that's a fairly solid list

"Alex, I'll take MSAs over 1 million for $400 please."

I spent 5 days near Fresno last September. There was a blistering fucking heat wave, forest fires everywhere, homeless hordes literally roving the streets. There was a prostitution ring being run out of the area’s nicest DoubleTree and I’m not kidding. Our fucking rental car’s AC broke during all of this. Good times. How is that not California’s? 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I spent 5 days near Fresno last September. There was a blistering fucking heat wave, forest fires everywhere, homeless hordes literally roving the streets. There was a prostitution ring being run out of the area’s nicest DoubleTree and I’m not kidding. Our fucking rental car’s AC broke during all of this. Good times. How is that not California’s? 

I was going off the top of my head, as you noted,Fresno is pretty forgettable. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My sources tell me it was just barely knocked out by the tropical oasis that is Stockton. 

12 hours ago, boilerhorn said:
  1. NC - App.St.  Fail - UNC, NCSU, Duke? 

The Triangle is great, and I would rather live here than in Boone, but there are very few college towns in America that are even in the same conversation as Boone as a "college town". Hell, everyone in the Triangle vacations in Boone, for precisely that reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Glad you asked. Personally, I’d put the cut-off at 250,000 for the actual city or 400,000 for the metropolitan area. If the college population gets much less than 10% (5% for a small, private school) of the overall population, it just doesn’t feel like a true “college town” to me. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I've had enough. Big game boomer posts will earn a ban. Stop spreading that guys idiocy. The topics he comes up with aren't bad, but his lists are complete and total garbage. His topics are fine to make threads about,  just don't include his posts.

Can we have threads that mock his lists?

Guest Lobo

"Last spring, we did Europe in nine days.  And then we went to Bakersfield.  And then we ended up in Fresno.  Fresno?  No one goes to Fresno anymore."

-Johnny Jacobs

UNC-Asheville was a great college town when I used to visit there.  Word's gotten out though and that whole part of the country is getting overcrowded.

I was thinking for such a large state by population, mid-sized state by size, that my home state of Illinois of shit for college towns.  The OP has Champaign which is a shit mid-sized city and the campus is heinous.  It makes Oklahoma look pretty.  Can't really nominate any of the schools in the Chicago area since you can't call Chicago a college town.  Maybe Northwestern as Evanston is a fair distance from Chicago and is a great "town."  I'd have to say Charleston, IL, home to Eastern Illinois Univ. is about the nicest "College Town" in Illinois.  

You youngsters be grateful you got so many great college towns and cities in Texas.  Then again, we have some really shitty ones too.  California, as you'd expect, has so many great ones---it's almost not fair.  

Life could be worse, you could be stuck at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.  Conveniently located right next to East Saint Louis.  SIU-Edwardsville, no small town charm, all the big city violence and crime.  

9 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Why isn’t there a college in Scottsdale?

Because 99% of its inhabitants are old wrinkly/pruned-up sun baked raisins of human beings who obviously already “hit their number” and can afford retire in a such a place. 

TLDR- them old’s ain’t come to play schoo

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Life could be worse, you could be stuck at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville.  Conveniently located right next to East Saint Louis.  SIU-Edwardsville, no small town charm, all the big city violence and crime.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

Athens is the right answer for Ohio.  Agree with Lawrence over Manhattan and Iowa City over Ames.  Clemson should also be the choice for SC over Columbia and Stillwater over Norman for OK.  Those are the only glaring errors.  NC is a tough one due to the growth of the Triangle but I would probably still go Chapel Hill.   

Columbia SC is horrible, maybe the worst submission on the list. Could be Clemson for SC, but I'd go Charleston. The chicks at CoC work hard at making sure nobody goes to bed solo who doesn't want to....or so I've heard 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Columbia SC is horrible, maybe the worst submission on the list. Could be Clemson for SC, but I'd go Charleston. The chicks at CoC work hard at making sure nobody goes to bed solo who doesn't want to....or so I've heard 

Holy Christ are the girls at CofC in another world. Best I've ever seen.