John Prine self titled
Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
Sturgill Simpson “High Top Mountain”
Black Crowes “Shake Your Money Maker”
Pearl Jam “10”
Oasis “Definitely Maybe”
Steely Dan “Can’t Buy a Thrill”

• Hook 'Em 6

Most from the early 80s...my college years with all my disposable income spent on beer, weed and music.  

Costello:  My Aim Is True
REM: Murmur
Dire Straits: Self Titled
The Cars:  Self Titled
Boston: Self Titled
Van Halen:  Self Titled
Counting Crowes:  Self Titled
Los Lobos:  How Will The Wolf Survive (debatable if it was their debut, but I'm counting it)
Wilco and Son Volt
Marshall Crenshaw self titled
Bruce Robison:  I honestly put this in the same category as John Prine's first album that had "Hello In There", "Sam Stone" and "Angel from Montgomery".
   Bruce's original on Vireo had two number ones for other people (Angry All The Time-Tim McGraw/Faith Hill) and (Travellin' Soldier - Dixie Chicks) along with Leeann Womack's "Lonely Too" and Kelly Willis' "Not Forgotten You".  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Zeppelin I
John Prine self titled
Sturgill Simpson “High Top Mountain”
Pearl Jam “10”
Oasis “Definitely Maybe”
Steely Dan “Can’t Buy a Thrill”

Al, never pictured you as a Pearl Jam/Oasis guy.   

Al, never pictured you as a Pearl Jam/Oasis guy.   

Morning Glory came out when I was in 6th grade and just blew my mind.

Got way into Pearl Jam in college. Especially their high end live stuff. I discovered DBT on a Pearl Jam message board, actually. It’s funny because I was a kid when grunge was king and I loved Nirvana and therefore hated Pearl Jam because Kurt did. I ignored them in their prime and showed up at the party a decade late.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I always have to add this to these lists:

Heart "Dreamboat Annie"

In addition:

Joe Jackson "Look Sharp"

The Pretenders "The Pretenders"

Fiona Apple "Tidal"

The Police "Outlandos d'Amour"

Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"

NWA "Straight Outta Compton"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I always have to add this to these lists:

Heart "Dreamboat Annie"

In addition:

Joe Jackson "Look Sharp"

The Pretenders "The Pretenders"

Fiona Apple "Tidal"

The Police "Outlandos d'Amour"

Norah Jones "Come Away With Me"

NWA "Straight Outta Compton"

Dammit.  I left off "Look Sharp".  I have long thought that greatest opening song an any debut album is "One More Time" from "Look Sharp".  I need to go back and relisten to Dreamboat Annie.   I always forget how great that record is.  For me, so many of my debut favorites are my favorite from that artist.  Not the same with Heart...but that record is so well done.  

One reason debut albums are so good, and often a band's best album, is because the band has all their best material together and they have no idea if they'll ever make another album or "make it" in general. So they just go for broke and put on everything they've worked on for a long time. I read this in some interview somewhere and it sounded like it made sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I need to go back and relisten to Dreamboat Annie.   I always forget how great that record is.  For me, so many of my debut favorites are my favorite from that artist.  Not the same with Heart...but that record is so well done.  

I don't think it's their best album -- I'd probably go with "Little Queen" -- but it's a helluva debut.  I'm a much bigger fan of their rock than their folk, but you take what you get.

• Hook 'Em 1

One reason debut albums are so good, and often a band's best album, is because the band has all their best material together and they have no idea if they'll ever make another album or "make it" in general. So they just go for broke and put on everything they've worked on for a long time. I read this in some interview somewhere and it sounded like it made sense. 

That being said, the best artists tend to make their best albums a ways into their career.

34 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

I've read that about Boston.  He has all of that time to put that record out...then with the success, he was pushed to put out a second record before he was ready.  

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think it's their best album -- I'd probably go with "Little Queen" -- but it's a helluva debut.  I'm a much bigger fan of their rock than their folk, but you take what you get.

I've never really thought about my favorite Heart record.  I'd probably go with Dog and Butterfly.   Need to pull out all the old vinyl and listen back through.  I just know that whoever recorded those drums needs a hearty pat on the back.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Velvet Underground - Velvet Un

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Clash - Clash

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Gang of Four - Entertainment

Patti Smith - Horses

Ramones - Ramones

Zeitgeist - Translate Slowly 

The Flatlanders - More a Legend Than a Band (recorded in 72, but not released until 90). Love the musical saw in this.

Old No. 1  - Guy Clark

Lyle Lovett - Lyle Lovett

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Rip76 said:

41K45H20QTL.jpg

PearlJam-Ten2.jpg

Son_Volt-Trace_(album_cover).jpg

Big_Star_-1_Record.jpg

81dWUePuUsL._SL1433_.jpg

I fucking love Trace, but I don't know that I consider it a true debut.  Jay Farrar had written the majority of the songs for Uncle Tueplo's 3 albums already and Son Volt hasn't really been a collective band so much as it is Jay Farrar and the guys he has play with him.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm always going with the first Zeppelin album. Think about what was big at the end of 1968. Then, on January 12th, 1969, you pick this up at the record store, get home, put it on your turntable, drop the needle, and this blows your mind...

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

August & Everything After is arguably better than anything I listed

Eh.  Counting Crows blew their wad on that record.  It had some beautiful moments, mostly thanks to T-Bone Burnett, and I will admit there were some lyrical gems, but they faded fast.  Adam Duritz is just such a putz.

I'd take these off your list over CC's debut:

Zeppelin I
John Prine self titled
Pearl Jam “10”

Eh.  Counting Crows blew their wad on that record.  It had some beautiful moments, mostly thanks to T-Bone Burnett, and I will admit there were some lyrical gems, but they faded fast.  Adam Duritz is just such a putz.
I'd take these off your list over CC's debut:
Zeppelin I
John Prine self titled
Pearl Jam “10”

August is one of my desert island albums. I just forgot it was a debut.

I also think the rest of the Crows’ discography is criminally underrated. Yeah, they never made an album THAT good again, but there are legitimately great songs on all of their albums.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've seen them live, many times.  Duritz should be strung up by the short hairs for refusing to sing anything close to the melody on almost any song.  He is such a douchebag.  I hate him.  Nice album, though.

Yeah, I’ve seen a couple live videos of them and I can’t stand that. Still love most of their discography.

There was a thread awhile back debating whether being a good singer or a good dancer made it easier for unattractive guy to get laid. Adam Duritz is Exhibit A for the singer argument. He’s goofy looking and comes off like a fuckin’ weirdo but he writes songs so powerful he fucked Jennifer Anniston.