Your Favorite Debut Album

MoJames

Lulz . . . I had beers an hour ago with an old friend who has played with a ton of icons, including recently-thread-mentioned Adrian Belew and Mark Andes (Spirit/Free/Heart), not to mention Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mike Keneally and Ronan Chris Murphy.  We got in deep about Bowie, etc. and I come back and Belew and Spirit are up on this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Great debut (spoilered for slightly NSFW image):

Hide contents

How the Reader reviewed Exile in Guyville when it first came out | Bleader

Great album. I’m personally a sucker for Whipsmart, but most people seem to prefer her debut. 

Regardless, Liz Phair is one of my favorite songwriters. Her arrangements are so fucking unique.

Edited by BrickHorn

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Lulz . . . I had beers an hour ago with an old friend who has played with a ton of icons, including recently-thread-mentioned Adrian Belew and Mark Andes (Spirit/Free/Heart), not to mention Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mike Keneally and Ronan Chris Murphy.  We got in deep about Bowie, etc. and I come back and Belew and Spirit are up on this thread.

Speaking of Mike Keneally, this is pretty bold. One of my favorite songs. But solo acoustic? Gtfo.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Speaking of Mike Keneally, this is pretty bold. One of my favorite songs. But solo acoustic? Gtfo.

Check this out.  My friend Willie is on guitar, and Mike Keneally is on keys, along with the other superhumans.  I don't even know what to think about music like this, it bends my brain too much.

Spiral Out

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Check this out.  My friend Willie is on guitar, and Mike Keneally is on keys, along with the other superhumans.  I don't even know what to think about music like this, it bends my brain too much.

Spiral Out

That’s good stuff. It’s very reminiscent of the Crimsonian side “ProjeKcts.” As a big Bill Buford fan I was perhaps too critical of Pat Mastelotto in the 90’s double trio incarnation of King Crimson but he sounds really good there.

It’s interesting that it’s hosted at bandcamp.com. I’m really only familiar with that site for hosting one other album. I posted about The Bears earlier which was Adrian Belew and Rob Fetters on guitar, Bob Nyswonger on bass, and Chris Arduser on drums. Adrian was obviously the big name but they’re all really talented. When Adrian wasn’t performing with them, the other three performed as The Psychodots.

It’s all psychedelic pop. Rob Fetters is a really good guitarist too. Not quite as good as Adrian but still really good. There’s a fine line between being a big name (relatively speaking, a lot of people don’t know who Belew is either even though they’ve heard him on a lot of artists’ albums) and toiling in obscurity. Rob’s debut solo album Lefty Loose Righty Tight is really good, self-referential, and is hosted at bandcamp.com. Adrian plays on the album, mostly on drums. He contributes one guitar track. Otherwise that’s all Fetters.

a1406182094_16.jpg

https://robfetters.bandcamp.com/album/lefty-loose-righty-tight

Edited by WhatTheBuck

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That record was released as a CD when it originally came out.  I think Willie just put it on bandcamp so it wouldn't get lost.

Just an interesting coincidence. I should probably see what else is hosted there. But there’s so much music and so little time. I’m not even thoroughly familiar with my own bootleg collection yet.

Incidentally, I have a number of Spirit bootlegs and the best sounding one is from the Texas International Pop Festival in 1969. I got those, among other discs, by trading copies of Frank Zappa’s “Beat the Boots” collection which was just him releasing bootleg copies as-is of some of his own live shows. I think it’s in the movie Baby Snakes where there’s a scene of Frank in a NYC record store where he picks up some bootlegs of his live shows where he just tells them that it’s his music and he’s taking it and dares them to call the cops. Since I paid for those discs (14 shows in all) I wasn’t sure if I should’ve been copying them for someone else. I emailed Barking Pumpkin and asked permission and never heard back so I took that as implicit authorization to freely share that music.

I’m sure I’m not the biggest fan of Zappa, King Crimson, and Spirit, but you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone with larger collections of recordings by any of those bands, let alone all three. (I would dearly love to meet such a person.)

Now to tie this post up in a nice little bow, and with a Texas connection, one of my earliest and favorite Zappa bootlegs, traded not purchased, was from Armadillo World Headquarters back in ‘73 and featured a very early, George Duke-heavy (unlike the album version that appeared on One Size Fits All which was released the following year that includes probably my all time favorite guitar solo) of, you guessed it, Inca Roads.

Speaking of Zappa’s “Beat the Boots” series, the best of them is probably the one called Swiss Cheese/Fire! from Montreaux, Switzerland on 12/4/71 which became the inspiration for Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple. Other than the fire it was a really hot show  

Just celebrated the 30 year anniversary of this one.
R-1063332-1566314594-3691.jpeg.jpg.8ae4f86ea11b34e6ba0c04d8fb98482e.jpg

Beat me to it. So fucking good. Jar of Flies and Dirt are exceptional, but the grit of Facelift was never repeated. We Die Young goes hard as an album one track one and announced that they were not fucking around.

Where are all the great new hard rock singers?
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 9:13 PM, tantric superman said:

BoDeans Love & Hope & Sex & Dreams

BoDeans_Debut.jpg

86 was great year for debut records.  Just went through my records.  

Peter Case, Jayhawks, David & David, Crowded House, Rainmakers, Concrete Blonde, Lyle Lovett, Housemartins, Dwight Yoakum, Georgia Satellites, Steve Earle, Timbuk 3, Stan Ridgeway, Brian Setzer,  

59 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but Undertow was their first album.  Opiate was an EP.  Both rule.

Yeah, I agree. The EP distinction is weird. But not many bands have put that type of audio assault together in 6 songs, let alone twice as many songs.